Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Scott3085

New Upright
Original Message   Nov 28, 2009 4:57 pm
So I've decided to sell my Dyson DC23 Motorhead...it's just too fragile and I really don't feel it suits my home.  I have used a ton of vacuums in my life and still haven't found the "perfect" one for my new home.  I'm looking for a bagged upright that really grooms the carpet well, isn't terribly loud, and cleans up to the edge.   Lightweight would be a bonus too!   I have a Miele canister which is outstanding, but sometimes I want to be able to get through my house quickly without dragging the canister part behind me.  I had been looking at the Hoover Platinum Series bagged lightweight uprgiht and it looks like a strong contender.  I've used Dyson uprights before and found them too bulky.  My parents have a Sebo X4 which is nice but more than I'd like to spend.  Currently I'm borrowing their Kirby Ultimate G which is also too bulky.  Any suggestions from the experts?
Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Trebor

Re: New Upright
Reply #3   Nov 28, 2009 7:48 pm
Scott,

I'm sure you realize that a vacuum cleaner is an investment in a healthful home environment.  You mentioned selling your Dyson canister. You are using your parents'  Kirby.  Are they going to resume using it? If you could sell the Kirby, the Miele canister, and the Dyson canister you should not have too much money to put towards a Miele S7. The manual dial models are on sale for Christmas at 599.00  Consumer reports gave it solid marks.  My one vac shop friend took one home and parted with his Panasonic TOL Jet Flo,  Sanitaire TOL Upright, Electrolux Silverado, and his one Mighty Mite. He said the S7 pulled up so much more that all his other vacuums his wife thought he had steam cleaned the carpet, and this is after vacuuming 5-6 days/wk for YEARS!

You get what you pay for. Having experienced the quality of Miele and Kirby, chances are you will not happily settle for a Hoover.

CatLady  (on the forum) purcahsed one, and she has 20+ stray cats and dogs, and has been very satisfied.  Quiet, manueverable, powerful, and sets the bar for on-board tools.Venson, also regular poster here sings its praises.

Trebor
mole

Reply #4   Nov 29, 2009 6:04 am
Tired of buying cleaners that just make believe that their cleaning, using a cleaner that does not  work properly is like using a broken watch just to save time.] Old F.Q LINE]

If this dust and dirt came out of your carpeting [i promise i didnt preload the hose with dirt] another  old DTD line.You certainly would want to do something about it now wouldnt you?

Prospect to the sales man, you didn't  that dirt out of my carpets. Salesman to the prospect but if i did you would want to do something about it now would you not?

So Scott. Do yourself a favor  KEEP WHAT YOU HAVE  , 

DIB you see the con game ?  It 's all marketing weather by the personable demo or by the world wide web.The result is the same.I got some news for you a vacuum cleaner is just a motor a brush and a cord  And a few attachments. My own personal vacuum is 28 years old, it cleans as good as the rest of them.

Regards

MOLE

Btw DIB, everthing that your Hero OFFERS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TAKING DEBRIS AND DUST AND DIRT OFF FLOORS AND CARPETS, yOUVE BEEN CONNED ................
CarmineD

Reply #5   Nov 29, 2009 7:21 am
Hello again Scott:

You've been given some excellent choices.  BUT.........none are perfect.  WRT the HOOVER Platinum lightweight bagged, most retailers are selling for $219 but comes with the companion compact canister which you don't need.  True too with the ORECK.  For $299 select big box retailers are selling both the lightweight upright and compact canister.  COSTCO is offering a $50 off discount from Dec 1-Dec 20.  So, $250 is the price before taxes.  TARGET offers the upright solo [XL signature] for $199.  You can have any color as long as it is black.  Yuk.  If you have a local ORECK store, and are ORECK inlcined, buy there.  Silver series with longer warranty and free annual tuneups are also available, IF YOU ASK, for $199.

DC18, Slim, for $240 is a good price.  BUT as a dyson product from 2006, and precursor to DC24 ball, its been discontinued.  No longer appears on the syon web sites.

Now back to your DC23 Motorhead.  MSRP of $599.  Needs repair under warranty and only 4 months old.  Do the repair and keep for awhile, as MOLE suggests.  If you had the DC23 with turbinehead, which TARGET sells for $299, I'd agree with you to bail out of it.  My sense is your having a 180 turnaround on dyson, after being happy with it, due to the new product defect/warranty issue.  Give it a chance.

Carmine D.

Trebor

Reply #6   Nov 29, 2009 8:32 am
Mole,

I agree to some extent, but there are differences in performance, which is why I mentioned what was in use/frequency of use prior to the introduction of the Miele S7 to that environment.
This message was modified Nov 29, 2009 by Trebor
vacmanuk

Reply #7   Dec 1, 2009 3:53 pm
Look at what we lucky Brits are about to get in the UK from Vax. Where Have I seen one of these before??! http://www.vaxlife.co.uk/ And its priced at a very expensive £199 retail price. Scott - we had a Sebo X1 for about 15 years. Im not sure if you are in the U.S but you could pick up a second hand Sebo/Windsor SR12. It is similar to the old X1 Automatic that was sold in Europe for many years and is a lower powered but still as efficient vacuum to the Sebo X4. I now run a X1.1 which is the X1's successor and they're very similar but I dont think they're available in the U.S
This message was modified Dec 1, 2009 by vacmanuk
M00seUK

Reply #8   Dec 1, 2009 5:34 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Look at what we lucky Brits are about to get in the UK from Vax. Where Have I seen one of these before??! http://www.vaxlife.co.uk/ And its priced at a very expensive £199 retail price. Scott - we had a Sebo X1 for about 15 years. Im not sure if you are in the U.S but you could pick up a second hand Sebo/Windsor SR12. It is similar to the old X1 Automatic that was sold in Europe for many years and is a lower powered but still as efficient vacuum to the Sebo X4. I now run a X1.1 which is the X1's successor and they're very similar but I dont think they're available in the U.S

I'm not all that clued up on stick vacs, but to me £199 *sounds* reasonable for a dual-cyclone bagless, Lithium ion cordless vac? Any idea on the expected run / charge time?
vacmanuk

Reply #9   Dec 2, 2009 4:20 pm
Its too new on the market to say how long the battery lasts for and so many UK reviews are appearing because Vax is lending out vacuums to UK buyers yet no one is saying. I wouldn NEVER pay that amount of money on a cordless stick vac though.
vacmanuk

Reply #10   Dec 6, 2009 8:10 am
In actual fact does anyone have a Hoover Platinum cordless stick vac on here? Anyone care to say how long it lasts in one cleaning session and how long it takes to charge? Id rather hear from one of you guys from personal experience than trust in the stats.
CarmineD

Reply #11   Dec 6, 2009 2:28 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
In actual fact does anyone have a Hoover Platinum cordless stick vac on here? Anyone care to say how long it lasts in one cleaning session and how long it takes to charge? Id rather hear from one of you guys from personal experience than trust in the stats.

Hello Vacmanuk:

You may have viewed this already but if not, it's worth the time.  It doesn't answer your question but uses the nebulous "run time/cycle" terminology.  It may be an option for Scott if he's still inclined to sell off his dyson 23 and keep his MIELE cann and cleaning lady who uses her own vacuum.  Enjoy.

Of note is that the charge time is 3 hours and battery and charger comes with a 2 year warranty and the overall product 6 years.  With the $20 rebate, the price comes in at $160 US $. 

http://www.hoover.com/linx/rechargeable-cordless-lithium-ion-stick-vac.aspx

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #12   Dec 7, 2009 7:33 pm
Wow 3 hours is impressive. But I dont think Id pay for cordless for only that amount of time regardless. Granted if it was cheaper in the U.S then maybe.
Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42