Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Has anyone tried this???

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

Has anyone tried this???
Original Message   Oct 27, 2009 10:19 pm
There has been past mention that some of these "home brews" might not be the best thing for use with extraction carpet cleaners but I have been researching inexpensive AND "green" problem solvers for carpet cleaning. I'd like to know who has among us tried any of these methods and how they felt they compared to mass marketed or commercial cleaners and spot treatment compounds.

Please review the following link: http://www.ehow.com/how_4719580_own-green-cleaning-carpet-shampoo.html

Thanks,

Venson
Replies: 10 - 19 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
HARDSELL

Re: Has anyone tried this???
Reply #10   Oct 29, 2009 9:04 am
Venson wrote:
Thank you Hardsell! I've checked out the website and have bookmarked it for future reference.

Best,

Venson

Venson,  it is about $80 per gal.  However, it is probably the best cleaner that I have used.  10:1 is good general purpose mix.  5:1 for really tough cleaning.

I apprenensively bought it from college kids selling door to door.  I have no regrets of buying.

CarmineD

Reply #11   Oct 29, 2009 9:11 am
HARDSELL wrote:
If it had been in powder form I would not have told you that it won't clog the Oreck.

HS:

I am a man of simple tastes.  Easily satisfied by the best.  Like ORECK. 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #12   Oct 29, 2009 9:24 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Venson,  it is about $80 per gal.  However, it is probably the best cleaner that I have used.  10:1 is good general purpose mix.  5:1 for really tough cleaning.</p><p>I apprenensively bought it from college kids selling door to door.  I have no regrets of buying.

Hi Hardsell,

The price is a bit daunting but from the mix ratio you gave I'd think that the gallon would last a good while. Do you find that so?

Venson
HARDSELL

Reply #13   Oct 29, 2009 9:52 am
Venson wrote:
Hi Hardsell,

The price is a bit daunting but from the mix ratio you gave I'd think that the gallon would last a good while. Do you find that so?

Venson

10:1 is about $2 qt.  I can't think of a cleaning product near as good for that price.  Daily and light cleaning can be diluted at 20:1.

I bought 2 gallons and got discount.  I think about $20.  I have given family members part of it and have not broken into the 2nd gallon.

One of my choice uses is on my stainless BBQ grille.  The hood accumulates a lot of grease residue on the back side.  For the slanted surfaces I spray then lay paper towels over it and spray again.  The towels will cling and give the grease time to dissolve.  Great for kitchen range and hood vent also.  Soak the burner rings and drip pans for thorough cleaning.

I also clean the stained kitchen cabinets with it.  So far it has not damaged the stain.

Combined with a Dyson you can have a really clean home. 

CarmineD

Reply #14   Oct 30, 2009 6:35 am
HARDSELL wrote:

Combined with a Dyson you can have a really clean home. 

HS:

Hard to lie with a straight face? 

Carmine D.

Just

Reply #15   Oct 31, 2009 11:39 am
I had a carept man recommend to me to use 1 cup of White Vinegar to a gallon of water to neutralize the Ph of the carpet.

The cleaners we use are highly alkali and the acid in the vinegar brings the Ph back, in doing so it helped removed the browning of the high traffic areas as well as doggy smells where the old girl is starting to leak.

The smell disapate as the carpet dries and the results were great.

BTW--I use the Wal-Mart cleaner in my Hoover Spin-Scrup Steam vac and it did an excellent job as well, it was a little foamy but I stil had no complaints.

procare

Reply #16   Nov 2, 2009 12:27 am
Just,

The carpet man recommending you neutralize the alkalinity of the detergent may be steering you wrong. To clean carpets that are man made the ph is 9.0 and higher, wool is 8.5-8.0 any lower and you won't clean. Cleaning solutions run from 0-14 in ph.   7 being neutral(water). If you have a stain that you know has ph  of  5 you need to use a spotter with 9ph or higher to neutralize it. If you don't know what you are doing you could keep the stain in your carpet forever. Urine for instance is an alkaline at first, let it set up after six months it turns to acid and burns into your carpet and you can't remove it. No commercial or diy stain remover will get it out then. Low ph is on the acid side of scale. Hair shampoo you use is low ph Acid side.

Procare

Vernon

Reply #17   Nov 3, 2009 11:24 am
A product that I use that is environmentally friendly, works well, and is safe to use is called Procyon.  Go to www.soapfreeprocyon.com  The owner of the company, Mr Ivan Day, has had his product tested by leading carpet mills, green seal, and the carpet and rug institute, to name a few. 

Initially you'll be a little shocked at using the product, as it does not produce foam/suds that we have become accustomed to, yet it does the job. 

Venson, on dirty carpets, I will preteat with Procyon using my Lux shampooer, then rinse with the extractor.  Depending on the area I'm in, ie hardwater/softwater, in softwater I'll rinse with straight water, if using hard water, I'll add about one ounce Procyon to 2.5 gallons water to rinse with, as the Procyon will help soften the water.

Vernon
Venson

Reply #18   Nov 3, 2009 1:58 pm
Vernon wrote:
. . . Venson, on dirty carpets, I will preteat with Procyon using my Lux shampooer, then rinse with the extractor.  Depending on the area I'm in, ie hardwater/softwater, in softwater I'll rinse with straight water, if using hard water, I'll add about one ounce Procyon to 2.5 gallons water to rinse with, as the Procyon will help soften the water.<BR><BR>Vernon

Thanks Vernon.

Venson
Just

Reply #19   Nov 3, 2009 3:38 pm
procare wrote:
Just,

The carpet man recommending you neutralize the alkalinity of the detergent may be steering you wrong. To clean carpets that are man made the ph is 9.0 and higher, wool is 8.5-8.0 any lower and you won't clean. Cleaning solutions run from 0-14 in ph.   7 being neutral(water). If you have a stain that you know has ph  of  5 you need to use a spotter with 9ph or higher to neutralize it. If you don't know what you are doing you could keep the stain in your carpet forever. Urine for instance is an alkaline at first, let it set up after six months it turns to acid and burns into your carpet and you can't remove it. No commercial or diy stain remover will get it out then. Low ph is on the acid side of scale. Hair shampoo you use is low ph Acid side.

Procare

Procare,

The white vinegar is used as a rinse after the cleaner has done it's job.  The premise is some dirt is alkali and some are acidic,  So you need to go both directions in the cleaning process to remove the dirt.   This process did remove the browning I was experiencing in the high traffic areas.  This is a Anso plush carpet BTW.

Replies: 10 - 19 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42