Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Has anyone tried this???

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

Has anyone tried this???
Original Message   Oct 27, 2009 10:19 pm
There has been past mention that some of these "home brews" might not be the best thing for use with extraction carpet cleaners but I have been researching inexpensive AND "green" problem solvers for carpet cleaning. I'd like to know who has among us tried any of these methods and how they felt they compared to mass marketed or commercial cleaners and spot treatment compounds.

Please review the following link: http://www.ehow.com/how_4719580_own-green-cleaning-carpet-shampoo.html

Thanks,

Venson
Replies: 1 - 10 of 19NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
retardturtle1

Re: Has anyone tried this???
Reply #1   Oct 28, 2009 3:57 am
HI VENSON

Ive heard of  adding white vin to the shampoo...to control foam  and odor neutrilizer...or  rinse the carpets with white vin and water....seems to remove the soap residue better...when done as a final rinse.

turtle1

procare

Reply #2   Oct 28, 2009 11:07 am
If you have a detergent that has a high ph like 9.5 or higher using white vinegar which is distilled you reduce the level of ph. This lower ph level is what is needed to clean wool or cotton carpets. You do not steam clean wool carpets tho.The best way to clean carpets is with manufacturer approved detergents because you can lose your warranty on new carpets if these so called diy green shampooes are not right for you. You do them at your risk. The white vinegar was taught bat a spot and stain removal seminar by Bryan Kepka -leading expert in spot and stain removal over 30 years ago. Know your ph and how it works on carpet before trying anything someone tells you . Are these people experts in carpet cleaning ?Do they assume responsibility if you damage your carpet using their ideas? Spots are removed by knowing the ph of the spot and going to the other side of the ph scale to neutralize it.

Procare

Venson

Reply #3   Oct 28, 2009 1:52 pm
Hi Procare,

I would agree that there is a risk to just about everything but the vinegar and water solution "steam cleaning" is more or less harmless. Let me clarify that the term steam cleaning in this instance refers to the water extraction method use for periodic cleaning of large or wall-to-wall carpet.

It is low ph and per calls I made this morning to Hibernia Mills, Woolshire Carpet Mills (an affiliate of Wools of New Zealand) it's okay for use on their woolen product.

Please note, warranties from these companies as explained to me only cover limited wear and installation issues but do not mandate specific cleaning products or methods though the websites for both do supply info for general care and stain removal. The only hold out was Mohawk, per a customer service rep, whose warranty insists on professional cleaning only for its woolen product x-times per year.

It would appear that the greater danger to a good rug is its owner. Doing a rug yourself, using the water extraction method, requires taking great care not to over-saturate. That can lead to a multitude of problems.
HARDSELL

Reply #4   Oct 28, 2009 10:02 pm
I have been using Pro Tek Cleaner for about 2 years with excellent results.  I replaced all the chemical cleaners in the home with this one.

Always spot check before using on carpet or other fabrics.

http://www.protekchemical.com/index.php?q=node/3

PS Carmine.  It will not clog your Oreck like baking soda does.  

CarmineD

Reply #5   Oct 29, 2009 7:16 am
HARDSELL wrote:

PS Carmine.  It will not clog your Oreck like baking soda does.  

Is that in liquid or powder form, HS?  You know I never had that course in mind reading, so you have to be specific with your posts.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #6   Oct 29, 2009 7:48 am
CarmineD wrote:
Is that in liquid or powder form, HS?  You know I never had that course in mind reading, so you have to be specific with your posts.

Carmine D.

I should have added that anyone with pets or toddlers crawling around should have the manufacturer verify that it will not harm them when diluted to a strength to use on carpet.

Hope that you now know it is liquid.

CarmineD

Reply #7   Oct 29, 2009 8:05 am
HARDSELL wrote:

Hope that you now know it is liquid.

Since baking soda and rug cleaners come in both forms, I didn't know for sure which you meant.  Hence the reason I asked, since I never had a course in mind reading like some here.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #8   Oct 29, 2009 8:30 am
HARDSELL wrote:
I have been using Pro Tek Cleaner for about 2 years with excellent results.  I replaced all the chemical cleaners in the home with this one.

Always spot check before using on carpet or other fabrics.

http://www.protekchemical.com/index.php?q=node/3

Thank you Hardsell! I've checked out the website and have bookmarked it for future reference.

Best,

Venson
HARDSELL

Reply #9   Oct 29, 2009 8:59 am
CarmineD wrote:
Since baking soda and rug cleaners come in both forms, I didn't know for sure which you meant.  Hence the reason I asked, since I never had a course in mind reading like some here.

Carmine D.

If it had been in powder form I would not have told you that it won't clog the Oreck.
HARDSELL

Reply #10   Oct 29, 2009 9:04 am
Venson wrote:
Thank you Hardsell! I've checked out the website and have bookmarked it for future reference.

Best,

Venson

Venson,  it is about $80 per gal.  However, it is probably the best cleaner that I have used.  10:1 is good general purpose mix.  5:1 for really tough cleaning.

I apprenensively bought it from college kids selling door to door.  I have no regrets of buying.

Replies: 1 - 10 of 19NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42