Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > "What has dyson invented now?"

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
ArtieV1

"What has dyson invented now?"
Original Message   Oct 11, 2009 11:23 pm
I received this "teaser email today: http://links.mkt2388.com/ctt?kn=1&m=2735925&r=MTgwOTM1MTgzMTcS1&b=0&j=NzgxMTAyODMS1&mt=1&rt=0
Anyone know what's up with this??

-=Art=-
Replies: 25 - 34 of 254Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
vacmanuk

Re: "What has dyson invented now?"
Reply #25   Oct 13, 2009 9:37 am
Well I think its a great idea but it is a natural extension to what his Air blade hand dryer does, a fantastic machine if I do say so myself!
M00seUK

Reply #26   Oct 13, 2009 9:39 am
They are, at least, acknowledging that this will be far from a mass selling item in the UK. That's why James Dyson is in New York for the launch, which also coincides (I believe) with that start of summer in Australia.

Thinking back to a friend's sister who lives in LA, I'm sure she'd buy one of these with little consideration... well if her husband still has a job, that is. Certainly, many people will put up with a $20 fan that supplies 'choppy' air if means they have money to eat that week... yay, it would certainly been a better seller in the less responsible times.

A few years back I lived in an apartment, in London, which got incredibly hot in summer. I needed a fan, but I didn't want to spend too much on one, since it would likely only be required for a matter of weeks. I went to the supermarket and was pleased to be able to buy a free-standing pedestal fan for something like £15 GBP. The build quality and styling wasn't amazing, but hey, it did the job. One issue was that it was fairly noisy, so I needed to use ear plugs to get some sleep. Something that the Dyson goes some way toward resolving. But, again, if I can save £175 GBP by using ear plugs for a few weeks, I'm happy. Yep, it's certainly a much more viable product in a country which has warm weather most of the year.

The other sales angle is large workplaces, using fans in preference to air conditioning and the cost / environmental savings that can bring. James Dyson is said to be big fa... um, supporter of open windows and fresh air in the workplace... but hey, Dyson's building manager wouldn't have the same challenge of making 500 x £200 desk fans fit a budget. Perhaps they think there should be government environmental subsidy for this type of product? They've certainly developed an 'interesting' product, even if the commercial success is still to be determined.
DysonInventsBig

Reply #27   Oct 13, 2009 11:14 am
Dyson air multiplier video >
http://media.dyson.com/assets/press/videos/airMultiplierTech.wmv

This message was modified Oct 13, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #28   Oct 13, 2009 12:03 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Well I think its a great idea but it is a natural extension to what his Air blade hand dryer does, a fantastic machine if I do say so myself!
M00seUK wrote:
They've certainly developed an 'interesting' product, even if the commercial success is still to be determined.

Guys:

The question with any product that is made for USA consumer consumption is:  Will it sell in Peoria?  This one won't sell in fantasy land in Peoria.  Not for $300.  It's like the Air Blade.  At $1400, its 2X and more than the price of the best hand drier on the market today.  After failing miserably with the commercial market, dyson tried the home consumprtion market.  No luck there either.  In fact worse results than the commercial market.  This Air Multiplier is no different than the Air Blade.  No different than the contra rotating washer.  The ball barrow.  And the ball dysons.  You can't invent for the sake of invention and then force consumers to like it and buy it.  Doesn't work that way in Peoria.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 13, 2009 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #29   Oct 13, 2009 1:39 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Which Magazine has their Live launch archived (includes a QT Multiplier promo video).
http://www.which.co.uk/news/2009/10/dyson-air-multiplier-fan-launch-186125.jsp
This message was modified Oct 13, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #30   Oct 13, 2009 1:49 pm
HI DIB:

I excerpted this from your link above:

Not all Dyson products have proven as big a success with consumers – the Contrarotator washing machine being a case in point – but there's no denying that when Dyson takes on a product market you're sure to see something innovative, and the Air Multiplier is no exception. 

Sounds like my post above.  Will it sell in Peoria????

Carmine D.

vacomatic

Reply #31   Oct 13, 2009 3:06 pm
This appears to be a variant of Jet Venturi fans that have been around for some time.
Difference is the venturi outlet is along the rim of a circle, rather than a tube within the center of a cylinder.

Some articles briefly mention a turbine inside the base provides the air for the venturi.  A turbine is a specialized type of fan, so this is not really a "fanless" device.

What's not been mentioned is if the base turbine has an air filter. 
If not, dust and other junk will build up inside the fan base and ring, requiring a blow out every so often with an air hose or "cans o' air" from your local store.
I'm assuming for $300 Dyson will include a filter, but assumptions can be wrong.
M00seUK

Reply #32   Oct 13, 2009 3:20 pm
CarmineD wrote:

Guys:

The question with any product that is made for USA consumer consumption is:  Will it sell in Peoria?  This one won't sell in fantasy land in Peoria.  Not for $300.  It's like the Air Blade.  At $1400, its 2X and more than the price of the best hand drier on the market today.  After failing miserably with the commercial market, dyson tried the home consumprtion market.  No luck there either.  In fact worse results than the commercial market.  This Air Multiplier is no different than the Air Blade.  No different than the contra rotating washer.  The ball barrow.  And the ball dysons.  You can't invent for the sake of invention and then force consumers to like it and buy it.  Doesn't work that way in Peoria.

Carmine D.

---

Hi Carmine, your experience differs to my own on the AirBlades - I've been surprised at the variety of places that have them installed; they're more popular than I thought they'd be. At the margins involved and the publicity it gives the Dyson brand, it's proved a success in many ways.

procare

Reply #33   Oct 13, 2009 3:23 pm
Vacomatic,

Awhile back I looked up about this bladeless fan and found as you the same thing. What I also found out is there is a difference in the American language and British. We say one thing  and to the British it means another  tho we speak and write English. What I saw in the fan diagram was a blade system tho in UK it is called  bladeless.The system sound great  tho. Will wait to see what it looks like in real life.

Procare

This message was modified Oct 13, 2009 by procare
DysonInventsBig

Reply #34   Oct 13, 2009 4:18 pm
M00seUK wrote:
Guys:

Carmine D.

---

Hi Carmine, your experience differs to my own on the AirBlades - I've been surprised at the variety of places that have them installed; they're more popular than I thought they'd be. At the margins involved and the publicity it gives the Dyson brand, it's proved a success in many ways.

I recently read the same from a UK online magazine.  That is, they did not seem to think the Airblade would sell, and now they're all around (the UK).

DIB

Replies: 25 - 34 of 254Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42