Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > What makes the vacuum cleaner inustry so important?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
procare

What makes the vacuum cleaner inustry so important?
Original Message   Sep 4, 2009 1:20 pm
Since I have been coming to this site I have seen bickering about Dyson, Hoover and a few other brands. But to me it is why is this industry important and why all the different brands and models. My feeling is that they are necessary to maintain a way of life. Cleanliness, health, and just plain keeping everything nice. We started with dirt floors, went to rock and wood floors. Floors were kept up with brooms for hundreds of years. With the advent of electricity the vacuum cleaner came along  with elecrtic motors.

Just so you know , I am aware of the types of early sweepers from the late 1800's.

So the question I put to you is why is it so important to be a bagless society of Dyson? Why Bagged? Why a particular brand over another? Give me and anyone that comes to this site some answers as to why and how is one better than another?

I am watching and listening.                                                                  Procare           54 years in the business and still going strong.

Replies: 140 - 149 of 149Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
mole

Re: What makes the vacuum cleaner inustry so important?
Reply #140   Sep 16, 2009 8:49 am
Its becoming very transparent to us now that by what DIB posts that dyson knows that  its game over in the states,The indy's are tired of the B.S. with dealing with this

make believe vacuum company, which in reality is just a money laundering scheme. The only avenue left is HSN and refurbs on E-BAY, Its also very obivious now that DYSON has no intentions of opening factory stores in the states,

So whens TTI going to buyout DYSON for pennies on the dollar or yen ,Its coming folks and now dib and the rest of the robber barons so called educated overly smart people will be working at the local burger king.

B.T.W Carmine, Severus,procare,and Venson will still be around when your long gone.I just might keep H.S just as a whipping boy.

regards

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #141   Sep 16, 2009 8:56 am
HS:

ORECK and HOOVER are still in your craw?  You're getting over HOOVER if you are enjoying your bagged HOOVER Platinum lightweight.  Congrats.  It's okay for $299.  ORECK is a tad better for repairs and parts.  With 500 stores.  It builds brand loyalty and customers.  Like HOOVER use to do before it went the big box rip off route like dyson does.

Better start talking up the ORECK Clean Home Centers and vacuum store indies here.  They are the only repairers of dysons when they break down unless you want to ship it back to dyson.  WHere is that now?  UK?  Malaysia? Chicago?  NYC?  I can never remember.  Imagine!  The low life ne'er do wells that you and DIB bad mouth here so often now hold the future life blood of dyson in their hands.  James will have to make nice nice now. 

MIELE's in your craw too.  It's the German engineers. Takes 500 dyson engineers to make one MIELE engineer.  MIELE dealers are top shelf all the way.  IMMER BESSER.  80 years in the vacuum biz and still making vacuums that last 20 years before they are handed down to friends and family for round 2. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #142   Sep 16, 2009 8:56 am
mole wrote:
Its becoming very transparent to us now that by what DIB posts that dyson knows that  its game over in the states,The indy's are tired of the B.S. with dealing with this

make believe vacuum company, which in reality is just a money laundering scheme. The only avenue left is HSN and refurbs on E-BAY, Its also very obivious now that DYSON has no intentions of opening factory stores in the states,

So whens TTI going to buyout DYSON for pennies on the dollar or yen ,Its coming folks and now dib and the rest of the robber barons so called educated overly smart people will be working at the local burger king.

B.T.W Carmine, Severus,procare,and Venson will still be around when your long gone.I just might keep H.S just as a whipping boy.

regards

MOLE

I got a can of whoop ass waiting for you.   

How about a WHOOPING from one of those gals at B&D or Dyson.  Or is that whoopy?

mole

Reply #143   Sep 16, 2009 9:14 am
HARDSELL wrote:
I got a can of whoop ass waiting for you.   

How about a WHOOPING from one of those gals at B&D or Dyson.  Or is that whoopy?

Do i have to buy them lunch or dinner or will a 6 pack of pabst blue ribbon work?

Will they clean my home or yours in the buff?

Would i have to give her a ride back to the trailer park or should i give her cab fare?

Was your mother really a man??

MOLE

HARDSELL

Reply #144   Sep 16, 2009 9:34 am
mole wrote:
Do i have to buy them lunch or dinner or will a 6 pack of pabst blue ribbon work?

Will they clean my home or yours in the buff?

Would i have to give her a ride back to the trailer park or should i give her cab fare?

Was your mother really a man??

MOLE

My mother wasn't my aunt. 
CarmineD

Reply #145   Sep 17, 2009 9:05 am
procare wrote:
Dyson does it little. When I go into Wal-mart ,K- Mart, Target or any other Big Box Store I see up to 10 or more bagless vacuums. It seems that they want to sell something they know will be replaced in a short time. Look in the trash being put out everyday and you find bagless being set out. I see very-very few bagged vacuums in the trash. People buy a lot of bags or the bagged section would not be there.

Instead of being down Aerus -Electrolux sales are up. Tri Star sales are up, Kirby sales are up. Sorry I can't say anything about Filter Queen , Rainbow or other door to door brands but they may be up to. All these brands are bagged except for 2. FQ and  Rainbow.  Everytime one of these companies  come to my area an influx of business occurs. Not for bagless vacuums but bagged.

People have been buying vacuums every year around 16-17 million cleaners.Why?

Hello Procare:

Give people 2 vacuums:  One a bagged and one a bagless and let them use both for a year.  At the end of the year ask them to give one up and keep one.  I suspect most if not all will give up the bagless and keep the bagged.  Many of those bagless vacuums that you see in the trash are probably still in working condition.  After a year, probably less, most people are sick and tired of dumping the dirt bins daily, weekly etc and all the corresponding negative consequences of dumping the bins.  Bagless vacuums have probably done more for promoting bagged vacuums than they have for bagless.  In fact quite the opposite for bagless when you add in the expense/maintenance required for bagless filters.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #146   Sep 17, 2009 9:29 am
CarmineD wrote:
. . . Many of those bagless vacuums that you see in the trash are probably still in working condition.  After a year, probably less, most people are sick and tired of dumping the dirt bins daily, weekly etc and all the corresponding negative consequences of dumping the bins. 

Carmine D.

Mornin' Carmine,

I think that performance drop-off may contribute to the matter as well. Unless the filters on most bagless machines are tended fastidiously -- especially the pleated variety -- "out-of-the-box" performance can quickly fade. That's a cinch for getting a vacuum cleaner off to a dumpster.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #147   Sep 17, 2009 2:21 pm
Venson wrote:
Mornin' Carmine,

I think that performance drop-off may contribute to the matter as well. Unless the filters on most bagless machines are tended fastidiously -- especially the pleated variety -- "out-of-the-box" performance can quickly fade. That's a cinch for getting a vacuum cleaner off to a dumpster.

Venson

Yes, indeed.  Thanks Venson.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #148   Sep 17, 2009 2:52 pm
This is a good article for all who read and post here regularly to read.  I've always known this instinctively during my professional career.  It's always a joy to have vindication from official surveys.  Sort of like predicting the top performing vacuum brand and model by name and then having Consumer Reports, and/or the Carpet and Rug Institute, validate the selection with the very same one. 

Also, the ostriches here who rant and rave about the vacuum store owners/operators with the same panned rehearsed speeches, all the while tethered to a boss/bosses, may want to rethink their long term career goals.  The article and its findings provide a rude awakening to these slavenly ostriches.  The vacuum store owners have the last laugh, literally and figuratively. 

Enjoy.  I certainly did.

Carmine D. 

Plumbing for Joy? Be Your Own Boss

By economic yardsticks, Roger the Plumber should be feeling pretty low. Roger Peugeot, owner of the 14-employee Overland Park, Kan., plumbing company that bears his name, is part of a sector hit hard by shrunken credit and slumping sales. He has been forced to reduce staff and is battling new competition from other plumbers fleeing the construction industry.

Why Roger the Plumber Is Happy

[SB10001424052970203917304574415071956623690]
Steve Hebert for The Wall Street Journal

’Roger the Plumber’ owns his own business and is excited to go to work every day.

So why is Mr. Peugeot so happy? He genuinely likes fixing plumbing messes, for one thing, and despite the worst recession he has seen, "I'm still excited to get up and go to work every day," he says. He relishes running into people at the local hardware store whom he has helped in the past. And in hard times, he says, his fate is in his own hands, rather than those of a manager. "Even when things get tough, I'm still in control," he says.

In the broadest, most-comprehensive survey yet of how occupation affects happiness, business owners outrank 10 other occupational groups in overall well-being, based on the landmark survey of 100,826 working adults set for release today. Defined as self-employed store or factory owners, plumbers and so on, business owners surpassed 10 other occupational groups on a composite measure of six criteria of contentment, including emotional and physical health, job satisfaction, healthy behavior, access to basic needs and self-reports of overall life quality.

This puts Roger the Plumber well ahead of movers and shakers typically regarded as the top of the heap in society—professionals such as doctors or lawyers, who ranked second, and executives and managers in corporations or government, who came in third—according to the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index, a collaboration between Gallup and Healthways, a Franklin, Tenn., health-management concern. This is despite business owners ranking below those more-prestigious occupations in physical health and access to basic needs, such as health care.

The findings, psychologists say, reflect the importance of being free to choose the work you do and how you do it, the way you manage your time, and the way you respond to adversity. Regardless of occupational field, the survey suggests that seeking out enjoyable work and finding a way to do it on your own terms, with some control over both the process and the outcome, is likely for most people to fuel satisfaction and contentment.

"Despite the recession, it still pays to be your own boss," says Frank Newport, editor in chief of the Gallup Poll. The survey, adds John Howard, director of the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, "reaffirms my view that the more control you have over your work, the happier you are."

Smaller studies have shown links between certain kinds of stress and particular job roles or employment groups. But the huge size of the Gallup-Healthways project, which conducts 1,000 telephone surveys a day, makes it possible to draw detailed, reliable distinctions among a large number of occupational groups. "I know of no other survey of this size" on the subject, says Humphrey Taylor, chairman of the Harris Poll, a competitor. The 11 occupational categories surveyed also include farmers and sales, clerical, construction, installation and service workers.

Unlikely Winners

Business owners may seem unlikely winners. About half of the nation's full-time small businesses typically fail within five years of start-up, and the rate has risen in the recession, says William Dennis, a senior research fellow with the National Federation of Independent Business Research Foundation. They are more likely to work extremely long hours than people in any other occupation group, other Gallup research shows.

The findings likely reflect declining quality-of-life in some professions, Dr. Howard says. Rising cost controls in medicine, for example, and mounting pressure to chalk up billable hours in law, have curtailed doctors' and lawyers' flexibility to control their work.

"Where professionals may have had greater freedom 20 or 30 years ago, many are now experiencing loss of control, erosion of satisfaction and increased stress," Dr. Howard says.

At the bottom of the heap, transportation and manufacturing workers scored lowest on well-being. These occupations tend to foster conditions Niosh has identified as contributors to unhealthy stress: lack of control or participation in decision-making, conflicting or unclear job expectations, and hectic tasks with little inherent meaning.

Management and executive jobs have gotten tougher, too, during the period the Gallup-Healthways data were gathered, the first eight months of this year. Beset by cost cuts and layoffs, corporate bosses at all levels now share more of these stress-inducing conditions.

Business owners stand in stark contrast. Even in tough times, "you do your own thinking and no one can tell you you're wrong," says Edwin Locke, an industrial psychologist and professor emeritus of leadership and motivation at the Robert H. Smith School of Business at the University of Maryland. "You make your own decisions, and if you're wrong, reality gives you the feedback," he says.

Measuring Well-Being

In a study of how occupation affects happiness, business owners came out on top.

Occupation Overall well-being
Business Owner72.5
Professional71.5
Manager/Executive70.9
Farming/Forestry67.8
Sales67.6
Clerical66.1
Construction65.0
Installation64.4
Service64.0
Transportation62.6
Manufacturing62.1

Source: Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index

Note: Scores are based on respondents' answers to six categories of questions about work and life quality.

Staying in Control

As a business owner, Mr. Peugeot says, "even when things are out of your control, as they are with this economy, you're still in control of your relationships" with customers. Corporate managers and executives may "sit and wonder if they're going to be laid off, or get frustrated with the inabilities of management," he says. "If you're the owner, you may have to say, 'I screwed up,' but it's a lot better than saying, 'I didn't deserve that.' "

Other patterns among the self-employed help explain their psychological well-being. Entrepreneurs tend by nature to be optimistic, evidenced in their willingness to strike out on their own, psychologists say. Laura Street, of Pleasanton, Calif., isn't making a profit in the handmade-jewelry business, Ampersand Designs, which she co-founded last year. But to her, the glass is half full: She says sales are rising, she expects to turn a profit soon, and she loves her work.

"Yes, the economy is bad. But we aren't coming into a workplace wondering, 'Are we going to get fired today?' " she says. "If you control your destiny, the well-being is something that just comes naturally."

The freedom business owners have to control their schedules enables them to adhere more closely to their personal priorities, says Amy Neftzger, an organizational psychologist for Healthways. They have the flexibility to "make it to a child's play, or spend time with family," she says.

Golfing With the Mayor

Many also have community ties that feed a sense of well-being. James Barnard, chief financial officer of his family's business, Barnard Manufacturing in St. Johns, Mich., didn't have a great summer. He and his cousin Gary Barnard, president of the heavy-equipment parts maker, stopped drawing paychecks to help the company through a steep sales drop. They agonized over a decision to lay off dozens of workers, and Gary sat nearly alone in the plant for several weeks, answering phones.

But their company has a good image in the community, and "it's a big deal to us to keep that going," James says. He takes part in civic groups and enjoys golfing with the mayor and police chief. Pressed to describe the rewards of running a family business, he says, "It's pride. Definitely pride."

Another surprise from the survey: Farmers and other outdoor workers, from farmhands to forestry workers, scored No. 1 among all groups in "emotional health," as measured mainly by the amount of smiling, laughter, enjoyment and happiness they report experiencing the previous day—despite the fact that farmers ranked near the bottom in access to basic needs.

Steve Swenka, a Tiffin, Iowa, farmer, had just finished mowing two fields of hay when I reached him by phone last week to discuss the poll. The results didn't surprise him. Farm work, he says, is pretty trying. "When you're out there in the heat and the dust, sweating, you may feel miserable," he says. But over time, "you can see the progress, the fruits of your labor.

"And when the day is over and you see the loads of hay stacked, there's something fulfilling about hard manual labor like that," he says. "You forget your little troubles, and start to see the bigger picture."

—Email sue.shellenbarger@wsj.com
This message was modified Sep 17, 2009 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #149   Sep 17, 2009 9:51 pm
Venson wrote:
Mornin' Carmine,

Venson

Hello Venson:

Ironic you posted this.  My neighbor, a woman and writer, is moving.  She knocked on the door, and of all things, asked to borrow my vacuum.  She does not know I am a retired vacuum industry professional, but I suspect she noted, as other neighbors have, a line up of vacuums in my garage.  So the visit.  My first question to her was if she was using a vacuum.  She said she was but it died.  I asked her to get it and meet me at my open garage door with it.  She did. 

It's a EUREKA bagless UNO with the spin duster and turbo tool on board.  It looked fairly new and not used very much.  She told me it was 3 years old.  She purchased from SAM's Club on sale for $99 after a $20 instant cash rebate.  She said it was working well but no more.  I noticed she dumped the dirt bin.  I saw that the foam washable pre-motor filter, which sits atop the bin with a clear see-thru cover, was packed with layer of dirt.  This model has a see-thru hose to easily see clogs.  Despite the accumulated inner hose dust, which was not making its way into the bin, it was not clogged.  I plugged in and tested the hose suction.  It was half the normal suction.  These vacuums should compress the flexible stretch hose when you cover the tool end.  It did not.  I tried in the rug mode and noticed that the dirt did not swirl in the bin.  I put my hand under the the vacuum to feel the brush roll revolution.  It was fine.  I couldn't stop it.

As a good neighbor, I loaned her my HOOVER TEMPO so she could resume her cleaning.  I told her when she returns with the HOOVER TEMPO, I'll have her EUREKA fixed.  She looked at me.  She said thank you but she was going to throw it out with the next trash pick up rather than take it with her.  I said that wasn't necessary.  It's repairable, just needs pre-post motor filter cleaning.  She said she never did it.  From the looks of it, I already knew that was the case.    

She was happy and took the TEMPO.  I fixed the UNO.  HEPA post-motor filter, pleated, was okay, but no doubt dirt infiltrated the motor because it was in the HEPA filter well.  I repaired.  The dirt on the pre-motor filter and filter compartment filled my HOOVER swingette paper bag, which I tossed.

The UNO motor is noisey.  I suspect the bearings/fan are on their way out.  But that's not on my agenda.  It has good suction and should go awhile longer before the motor is gone.  That is if she doesn't toss.

Carmine D.

Replies: 140 - 149 of 149Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42