Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson DC31 Handheld cleaner

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson DC31 Handheld cleaner
Original Message   Jun 25, 2009 10:06 am
In the press today:-
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23711862-details/Dyson+with+more+revs+than+F1+racer/article.do

Product details:-

• Motor goes at 106,000rpm 'three times faster than any other motor'
  • 200 watt motor
  • 65/38 air watts (switchable power??)
  • £129.99 GBP RRP, powered brush version £149.99

I think the devil will be in the other details, as we learn them. Presumably it's using the Dyson Digital motor? From the photo, the collection bin looks slightly deeper and has a more prominent release switch. It has improved max suction (DC16 has 36 air watts) so I'm presuming (nay hoping) that it can run in standard mode for more than 5mins and switch to a 'turbo' mode as needed?

I have prefectly good DC16, but I could be tempted by something with a longer run time and twice the already impresive suction for car cleaning.

Replies: 230 - 239 of 340Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DysonInventsBig

Re: Dyson DC31 Handheld cleaner
Reply #230   Aug 13, 2009 4:52 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Carmine,

Your lack of knowledge on how separators work is only eclipsed by your lack of integrity.  Want to make a bet? - That I can prove the Popular Mechanics test as a junk test?  If I win, you will not post on these boards for 1 year and if I lose, I will not return to these boards for 2 years.  I will only disprove the Popular Mechanics - Dyson DC16 outcome.  What do you say?  Is it a bet?

DIB
Severus wrote:
My understanding of the separators in vacuums is that most of the problems, i.e. dirt not being filtered out,  occur with dirt going into the cyclones at start up.  At start up you have turbulence and start up issues.  It's no big deal with an upright that is running continuously, but I do wonder how well it works for a hand vac that is cycling on and off a lot. 

I have not seen any evidence of this.  Have you?

DIB

P.S.  I own 3 DC16's.
This message was modified Aug 13, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #231   Aug 13, 2009 6:56 am
DIB:

I have the gift of smartness [its called IQ].  No need to look it.  The latter [looking smart] is for those like you with something to prove [confidence as in con] in the absence of the truth!

Carmine D.

This message was modified Aug 13, 2009 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #232   Aug 13, 2009 6:59 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:

P.S.  I own 3 DC16's.

Probably a good number to own and use.  One DC 16 just can't do any clean up job in the short 5 minutes operation time.  Now the question for you to answer, honestly if you would, is how much did you pay for each one?  MSRP $150-$200.  Or like MOLE suggests here, are these dyson handhelds some of the huge number of DC16 returns that dyson sells [more like giveaway] as part of its family and friends program for pennies on the dollar?

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #233   Aug 13, 2009 7:00 am
mole wrote:
No he waiting for the returns to come back,then he can have a truckload for nothing.BUT,BUT,BUT, we use cyclones and i;m a nice guy really,really,i am.

Dyson in the USA=FAIL

regards

MOLE

Hiya MOLE:

First he needs to remove his head from the part of James anatomy where the sun never shines.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #234   Aug 13, 2009 7:32 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:

DIB

P.S.  I own 3 DC16's.

DysonInventsBig wrote:
Carmine,

Your lack of knowledge on how separators work is only eclipsed by your lack of integrity.  Want to make a bet? - That I can prove the Popular Mechanics test as a junk test?  If I win, you will not post on these boards for 1 year and if I lose, I will not return to these boards for 2 years.  I will only disprove the Popular Mechanics - Dyson DC16 outcome.  What do you say?  Is it a bet?

DIB
Severus wrote:
My understanding of the separators in vacuums is that most of the problems, i.e. dirt not being filtered out,  occur with dirt going into the cyclones at start up.  At start up you have turbulence and start up issues.  It's no big deal with an upright that is running continuously, but I do wonder how well it works for a hand vac that is cycling on and off a lot. 

Hello Severus:

I agree.  Please allow me the liberty to answer DIB's question for you WRT cyclones clogging quicker in handhelds. 

DIB:  If you can take your head out from under James/dyson, the Youtube video that vacmanuk posted comparing a dyson DC16 to the Black & Decker pivotvac.  The fine flour test was done first.  Then followed by the larger pieces of wet kitty litter.  The user was manually helping the dyson pick up the litter with the oblong cleaning nozzle by using his hand to push it in.  So holding a DC16 in one hand and pushing the litter into the nozzle opening with the other.  Both hands occupied.  Then the user removes the nozzle and uses the larger dyson suction opening.  Still, dyson's DC16 stumbled and runs out of charge with the job just been completed.  Why, DIB?

Dah!  The cyclones were clogged by the fine flour just as Severus opines.  And dyson always warns in its literature.  When these clog, suction effectiveness diminishes.  I suspect if the wet kitty litter were done first, a DC16 would fare better but not for long.  A DC16 would choke on the next cleanup job.  Since the same methodology is used for the B&D pivot vac as the DC16, the test is valid.  Dyson chokes and B&D wins.  Any wonder why so many of these high and over priced excuses for a handheld vacuum are returned?

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #235   Aug 13, 2009 9:28 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:

How you spend your recreational time is not of interest to me.  My interest is in exposing the seedy side (segment) to your industry - via you (primarily).  Stay focused please.

DIB

Back at you DIB.  I have no interest in betting cheaters, welchers and fools with silly offers.  I bet for cash.  Stay focused.  Why didn't the DC16 pick up the wet kity litter as quickly and easily as the B&D pivot vac which still had a full charge more than a DC16 after the job was complete? Let's see: $150-$200 versus $50?  Remember your sign and the good Pastor's words?  

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #236   Aug 13, 2009 1:40 pm
Hello Severus:

Looks like DIB by his lack of responses here is conspicuosly MIA and absent.

In concert with your reservations about the cyclones on dyson's handheld, the Popular Meachanics test complicates the clean-up scenario further with the "wet" kitty litter.  Water is tabu for dyson dirt cyclones.  Speeds up the clogging process in the cyclones.  Hence dyson's warnings about never ever using water and washing the cyclones.  Moral of the story, if you want a handheld that looks innovative but only works for 5 minutes on limited clean up jobs, and you have $150-$200 to flush down the toilet, DC16 id the one.  If you are looking to buy a real hand held cordless with a 30 year history of product performance and only $50, Black & Decker is the one. 

Carmine D.

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #237   Aug 13, 2009 2:37 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:

DIB

P.S.  I own 3 DC16's.

You can also overwhelm the cyclonic separation by taking in too much dirt at once.   I suspect that most of the dirt that goes into the pre-motor filters is from start up and/or overwhelming the cyclones with too much dirt at once.   

Dyson users have reported dirt and sand getting into the pre-motor filters.   This is why.  With a much lower powered hand vac and users cycling them on and off, I suspect it will be much worse. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
DysonInventsBig

Reply #238   Aug 13, 2009 3:49 pm
Severus wrote:
You can also overwhelm the cyclonic separation by taking in too much dirt at once.   I suspect that most of the dirt that goes into the pre-motor filters is from start up and/or overwhelming the cyclones with too much dirt at once.   

Dyson users have reported dirt and sand getting into the pre-motor filters.   This is why.  With a much lower powered hand vac and users cycling them on and off, I suspect it will be much worse. 

Dust overload and/or lack of proper airflow are the primary ways the cyclones do not filter well.

I’ve seen little evidence of dust reentrainment (the few models I’ve studied) at startup and shut down.

The handheld by nature, brings much airflow to the cyclones and this is why the separators work (filter) so well.  Carmine could have informed you of this - if he could only get his head around the science of cyclonic’s.  Perhaps if he quit spending so much time rambling and smothering, and instead pick up a book - this may help.  Then again, more likely not.

DIB
This message was modified Aug 13, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #239   Aug 13, 2009 4:47 pm
Hey DIB:

I thought you decided to bail out of the dyson camp after getting overwhelmed here by all the posters for your illogical and hypocritical praise of dyson's DC16.  DId any poster here agree with you that's it's a solid performer in its class let alone worth the ridiculous high price?

BTW, how many of those 3 DC16 handhelds did you actually buy new and pay full price for?  I'm betting none.  Notta.  Want to take my bet?    If I'm right and win, I get a free all expense paid vacation to dysonland.  If I'm wrong and lose, I get a free all expense paid vacation to dysonland.  Either way, I'll pay your way too.  What do you say? Take my bet?  [Can you see and hear me laughing as I post this.  Not with you.  At you!].

Carmine D.

Replies: 230 - 239 of 340Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42