Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson DC31 Handheld cleaner

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson DC31 Handheld cleaner
Original Message   Jun 25, 2009 10:06 am
In the press today:-
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23711862-details/Dyson+with+more+revs+than+F1+racer/article.do

Product details:-

• Motor goes at 106,000rpm 'three times faster than any other motor'
  • 200 watt motor
  • 65/38 air watts (switchable power??)
  • £129.99 GBP RRP, powered brush version £149.99

I think the devil will be in the other details, as we learn them. Presumably it's using the Dyson Digital motor? From the photo, the collection bin looks slightly deeper and has a more prominent release switch. It has improved max suction (DC16 has 36 air watts) so I'm presuming (nay hoping) that it can run in standard mode for more than 5mins and switch to a 'turbo' mode as needed?

I have prefectly good DC16, but I could be tempted by something with a longer run time and twice the already impresive suction for car cleaning.

Replies: 29 - 38 of 340Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Dyson DC31 Handheld cleaner
Reply #29   Jun 29, 2009 1:48 pm
Venson wrote:
I'm going to live, darn it!

Venson

Hi Venson:

Beats the alternative!

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #30   Jun 29, 2009 1:53 pm
Model2 wrote:
There was no smoke-and-mirrors "demo" of the product. All in attendance - media reps, journalists, etc. were gifted DC31s, allowing them to try the product out in their own home environment, and subject it to any task or performance test they should wish to.

Hello Model2:

In the old days, before your time, the pitchman would invite the crowd and demo the product.  Then, sell and take orders based on the actual performance.  New age sales is to invite a few in for a verbal dog and pony show complete with pretty associate and pictures and give away the products.  Being a classic, I prefer the old way. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #31   Jun 29, 2009 1:59 pm
I thought it disengenuous of James to compare the latest dyson handheld to B&D pivot hand vac.  As I recall the B&D pivot vac for $60 was around when dyson intro'ed the DC16 several years ago. 

More appropriately, dyson should be comparing his latest to the TTI's accucharge hand and stick vacuum.  These are the latest competitors and in my opinion trump dyson on price and run time. 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #32   Jun 29, 2009 2:21 pm
CarmineD wrote:
I thought it disengenuous of James to compare the latest dyson handheld to B&amp;D pivot hand vac.  As I recall the B&amp;D pivot vac for $60 was around when dyson intro'ed the DC16 several years ago.  </p><p>More appropriately, dyson should be comparing his latest to the TTI's accucharge hand and stick vacuum.  These are the latest competitors and in my opinion trump dyson on price and run time.  </p><p>Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

I don't think Dyson is prepared to take on the AccuCharge thing from TTI as, if I am correct, the run time even if by a couple minutes or two is indeed longer and -- it wasn't his idea in the first place. The only thing worth hearing after that is that his will run for at least a minimum of 15 minutes before cut-off.

The B&D Pivot vac does quite well for the money -- and least half the money at that. That's what consumers will be banking in the stores.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #33   Jun 29, 2009 2:31 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Model2,

I also thank you much for the video link but have to say I am also unimpressed by Dyson's presentation. A lot of talk but little action.

I guess I'm beginning to think like Carmine. The thing I was waiting to see here was a real-deal demo. I am not overly concerned about the high-filtration capability of a battery operated hand vacuum as they are not used for long periods of time. This also negates Dyson's mention of the brushless motor and no carbon emissions -- a silly point for this type of vacuum. Furthermore, his even bothering to lend even five seconds attention to those issues made me doubt the man's line of thought. Too much science and too little practicality.

What I did notice, per Dyson though he did not say so outright, was that the battery/electronic system, as claimed, emulates the set-up for the Hoover Platinum stick vac -- it runs full speed for ten minutes and stops once full power can't be delivered.

I'll stick with my ten-dollar plug-in thingy and be happy for the time being I think.

Best,

Venson

Hi Venson:

Thank you for the highest compliment of all.  I agree with your assessment of dyson and TTI's accucharge cordless products.  Dyson can't compare to HOOVER/DIRT DEVIL on price, run time, and/or performance.  Accucharge earns the Energy Star ratings too.  Dyson is silent on the matter.

I don't know the latest warranty on dyson's DC30 and 31.  If it's 2 years, like the DC16, TTI/HOOVER has dyson beat there too: 3 years for HOOVER platinum lynx handheld.

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #34   Jun 29, 2009 3:14 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

I don't think Dyson is prepared to take on the AccuCharge thing from TTI as, if I am correct, the run time even if by a couple minutes or two is indeed longer and -- it wasn't his idea in the first place. The only thing worth hearing after that is that his will run for at least a minimum of 15 minutes before cut-off.

The B&D Pivot vac does quite well for the money -- and least half the money at that. That's what consumers will be banking in the stores.

Venson

in reality its not very hard to find a vacuum in any catagory to match or exceed a dysons performance

.....at a fraction of the cost...its been that way for years

CarmineD

Reply #35   Jun 30, 2009 7:11 am
retardturtle1 wrote:
in reality its not very hard to find a vacuum in any catagory to match or exceed a dysons performance

.....at a fraction of the cost...its been that way for years

For sure, turtle1.  For sure.

Carmine D.

Acerone

Reply #36   Jul 7, 2009 3:37 pm
DC31 in Action Also for those in the UK.. The DC16 is now gone from the UK website...
This message was modified Jul 7, 2009 by Acerone
CarmineD

Reply #37   Jul 8, 2009 7:01 am
Are the prices really $220 and $270 for these DDM handhelds?

Not a very impressive video for the DC31.  Note too that the viewers don't know for sure if the speed is the lower or higher mode power used with the docile pets.  The lower is 10 minutes at 38 AW; the higher is 6 minutes at 65 AW.  I suspect the higher is the noisier version that would be more discomforting to our 4 legged furry friends. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 8, 2009 by CarmineD
bucks03

Reply #38   Jul 8, 2009 1:42 pm
I agree with Carmine D.   I'm also not impressed with the Dyson DC30 - 31 handehld.  Why hasn't Dyson got it into their heads that some people may want to have a corded option?   I have a DC16 which I do not feel is good for cleaning the car at all.  I have velour seats and the DC16 just cant get the lint up I have to scrub it out of the fabric with my hand - yes I do have to resort to lugging out the big Dyson DC04 upright to get any satisfactory outcome,

The DC16 battery was not particulary good at the beginning as the battery was new so it didnt quite last the full 6 mins, now its 3 years old the battery is on its last legs and keeps on conking out, I have to keep on preesing the button, the machine works for 4 seconds then the battery lights flash to say flat when the battery is not flat.  Not very impressive for a machine that cost £100.   The DC31 only adresses the need for a more powerful machine for only 10 mins - only 4 mins more than what the current DC16 did and what a price to have to pay for this if the battery technology isn't there, users will have to keep buying new batteries every so often so the machine wont quite last for 10 mins.  I cannot believe that Dyson sell their 'top range' Handheld for £150,  I could buy a full size vacuum cleaner at that price - Dyson must know that some people out there are suckers.  Like I was when I bought the DC16 for £100, what was I thinking of lol

This message was modified Jul 8, 2009 by bucks03
Replies: 29 - 38 of 340Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42