Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson DC31 Handheld cleaner

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
M00seUK

Dyson DC31 Handheld cleaner
Original Message   Jun 25, 2009 10:06 am
In the press today:-
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23711862-details/Dyson+with+more+revs+than+F1+racer/article.do

Product details:-

• Motor goes at 106,000rpm 'three times faster than any other motor'
  • 200 watt motor
  • 65/38 air watts (switchable power??)
  • £129.99 GBP RRP, powered brush version £149.99

I think the devil will be in the other details, as we learn them. Presumably it's using the Dyson Digital motor? From the photo, the collection bin looks slightly deeper and has a more prominent release switch. It has improved max suction (DC16 has 36 air watts) so I'm presuming (nay hoping) that it can run in standard mode for more than 5mins and switch to a 'turbo' mode as needed?

I have prefectly good DC16, but I could be tempted by something with a longer run time and twice the already impresive suction for car cleaning.

Replies: 2 - 11 of 340Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
M00seUK

Re: Dyson DC31 Handheld cleaner
Reply #2   Jun 25, 2009 1:09 pm
Product information is now being displayed at http://www.dyson.co.uk/ :-
  1. 3 new models in total, with various features and price points.
  2. All models use the new Dyson digital motor V2, which is 1/3 lighter and 80% more power-efficient than the previous version.
  3. The entry level DC30 offers 6 mins run time with 'high constant suction' (38 air watts)
  4. The DC31 model has extra battery capacity to offer 10mins run time at 38 air watts and 6mins at 65 air watts (40% extra boost). As before, there is an animal DC31 model with powered brush bar.
This message was modified Jun 25, 2009 by M00seUK
M00seUK

Reply #3   Jun 25, 2009 1:26 pm
Acerone

Reply #4   Jun 25, 2009 2:49 pm
I really would have liked to have seen an option power cord.. 6 to 10 minutes isn't enough time...
retardturtle1

Reply #5   Jun 25, 2009 6:16 pm
Acerone wrote:
I really would have liked to have seen an option power cord.. 6 to 10 minutes isn't enough time...

hi acerone

i agree...you better  have it together and know what you gotta clean before you start...opt cord needs to be a must...and at that price it should have one. anything below 15 min is useless.....like the rechargable stik vacs...you do a few [3] mats and its spent..done .for 89$  you can get a tiny panasonic canister with a cord that will outlast and out perform them both....super light .

Trilobite

Reply #6   Jun 26, 2009 2:25 pm
Acerone wrote:

It may be enough for removing surface crumbs, but nowhere near long enough for removing deeply embedded grit from car mats and carpets.

Nope, you have to have a mains operated cleaner to get the grit.

retardturtle1

Reply #7   Jun 26, 2009 5:39 pm

Trilobite wrote:

It may be enough for removing surface crumbs, but nowhere near long enough for removing deeply embedded grit from car mats and carpets.

Nope, you have to have a mains operated cleaner to get the grit.

way overpriced..far too many outhere that can outperform it for alot less $$..[riccar,hvr,pansc,oreck]  .and just as durable . ...great tech with the digital motor..cool looks ...but not at that price.
Venson

Reply #8   Jun 26, 2009 7:03 pm
Hi,

A main part of my argument all along has been affordability. There are far fewer of us now able to follow whim when it comes to spending. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the Dyson accountant's office and learn just how many of these ACTUALLY sell.

The "turtle" is correct in that a small lightweight canister vacuum, bagged or bagless, is by far the better deal. A 60-buck vac with an upholstery nozzle can take you a lot further for a lot less money as it has potential use possibilities all over the house.

I make only one exception. As is so typical of New York, paying for something but getting nothing I mean, my car housed in a private garage that has no electricity. Because that meant that I couldn't just bring a household vacuum around from my place to clean the car, I got one of those little mini-can vacs that plug directly into the cigarette lighter for power.

It's a ten-dollar deal that you can't necessarily rave about but gets the job done with a little effort. I especially like its having a hose plus a small nozzle and a crevice tool. That makes it far easier to pursue dust under and between seats and other hard to get at areas.

I can't understand why Dyson simply doesn't put together some kind of electrical adapter to allow the same sort of power hook-up -- or maybe that's too simple.

Best,

Venson
retardturtle1

Reply #9   Jun 27, 2009 12:23 am

Venson wrote:

Hi,

A main part of my argument all along has been affordability. There are far fewer of us now able to follow whim when it comes to spending. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the Dyson accountant's office and learn just how many of these ACTUALLY sell.

The "turtle" is correct in that a small lightweight canister vacuum, bagged or bagless, is by far the better deal. A 60-buck vac with an upholstery nozzle can take you a lot further for a lot less money as it has potential use possibilities all over the house.

I make only one exception. As is so typical of New York, paying for something but getting nothing I mean, my car housed in a private garage that has no electricity. Because that meant that I couldn't just bring a household vacuum around from my place to clean the car, I got one of those little mini-can vacs that plug directly into the cigarette lighter for power.

It's a ten-dollar deal that you can't necessarily rave about but gets the job done with a little effort. I especially like its having a hose plus a small nozzle and a crevice tool. That makes it far easier to pursue dust under and between seats and other hard to get at areas.

I can't understand why Dyson simply doesn't put together some kind of electrical adapter to allow the same sort of power hook-up -- or maybe that's too simple.

Best,

Venson

hi venson

so true...i lived in chicago for a number of years and am all too familiar with a garage &no power...you made an excellent point....i think all small cans ,or rechareables especially should also come w a car kit hook up....but at dysons price point..it should be mandatory 12v/120v/rechargeable flexability..cords included...i know u can buy a converter with a cig  [plug in]  on one end and a [receptical ] on the other ...just gotta watch your amp draw....under 20$ if im not mistaken.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #10   Jun 28, 2009 4:43 pm
M00seUK wrote:
In the press today:-
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23711862-details/Dyson+with+more+revs+than+F1+racer/article.do

Product details:-

• Motor goes at 106,000rpm 'three times faster than any other motor'
  • 200 watt motor
  • 65/38 air watts (switchable power??)
  • £129.99 GBP RRP, powered brush version £149.99

I think the devil will be in the other details, as we learn them. Presumably it's using the Dyson Digital motor? From the photo, the collection bin looks slightly deeper and has a more prominent release switch. It has improved max suction (DC16 has 36 air watts) so I'm presuming (nay hoping) that it can run in standard mode for more than 5mins and switch to a 'turbo' mode as needed?

I have prefectly good DC16, but I could be tempted by something with a longer run time and twice the already impresive suction for car cleaning.

Thanks for the post/news.

DIB

CarmineD

Reply #11   Jun 29, 2009 7:00 am
What is the noise level on this new dyson hand held?

Carmine D.

Replies: 2 - 11 of 340Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42