Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Need a light weight vacuum

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
ZZZZZ

Need a light weight vacuum
Original Message   Apr 17, 2009 1:52 pm
Because of old age, arthritis and a bad back, I am retiring my Hoover which cleans OK but is hard to maneuver and weighs a ton.

Was going to buy Tacony 8 LB which is purported to be the same as the Bissell Prolite. However, there were some negative reviews regarding pet hair on the Prolite so I gave up on that because it seems my dog sheds half of his fur daily :-)

Then I considered the Royal MRY5000 at Amazon but cannot find reviews and Royal's website does not say if it goes from carpet to bare floors. They say the MRY6400 does but does not say the weight on the site.

Next for consideration is the Oreck Oreck XL2100RHB-2. This one has 2 speeds and that is a desirable feature. But I have read some negative things about Orecks so am conflicted while at the same time, seriously considering this machine.

Next, I saw a Hoover Clean and Light but don't know how good that would be either. It is supposed to be 2X the suction power of Oreck. Sounds good but why can't I find this vac on the Hoover site? One review at a seller's site makes me believe this would not be good for my use. For example, I would love to be able to vacuum throw rugs or mats without them being sucked into the cleaner. And I like the idea of going from carpet to bare floors like you can with Oreck.

My dream vac is a Simplicity Freedom F3600 but the price is too steep for the budget ... especially when you add in sales tax.

I don't want a Dyson because the commercials are a little too slick and frankly some reviews of their machines were not all that great. I kinda feel that if it seems to good to be true, it probably is not true.

Any comments on the above mentioned vacs or suggestions would be appreciated.

Chris

Replies: 15 - 24 of 42Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
ZZZZZ

Re: Need a light weight vacuum
Reply #15   Apr 23, 2009 2:37 pm
My vacuum search is over. I bought a Simplicity Freedom 3700 for $460 which includes 6 bags and sales tax. We got something off the original quoted price by paying cash. My husband, who vacuums on those occasions when my back is really bad, is disappointed it does not have an adjustable handle because he is tall and has to hunch over to use any vacuum. I love that the belt never needs changing. Also there is some type of sensor which shuts off the motor if the roller gets jammed ... at least that's my understanding of how it works. It seems a bit loud but we can always use ear plugs or in my case, turn off the darn hearing aids ;-) The gentleman who sold it to us knows more about vacuums than I would ever need to know but overall, it was a pleasant experience ... no high pressure tactics ... a very helpful, friendly shop.

I appreciate all the advice and suggestions on this forum.

When we have used the machine a while, I'll write a review.

Chris

This message was modified Apr 23, 2009 by ZZZZZ
CarmineD

Reply #16   Apr 23, 2009 5:32 pm
Excellent choice.  $460 is much better than the $700 MSRP.  Yes, it does have a circuit breaker that turns the motor off when it senses a problem.  MADE IN THE USA!

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #17   Apr 23, 2009 6:12 pm
ZZZZZ wrote:
My vacuum search is over. I bought a Simplicity Freedom 3700 for $460 which includes 6 bags and sales tax. We got something off the original quoted price by paying cash. My husband, who vacuums on those occasions when my back is really bad, is disappointed it does not have an adjustable handle because he is tall and has to hunch over to use any vacuum. I love that the belt never needs changing. Also there is some type of sensor which shuts off the motor if the roller gets jammed ... at least that's my understanding of how it works. It seems a bit loud but we can always use ear plugs or in my case, turn off the darn hearing aids ;-) The gentleman who sold it to us knows more about vacuums than I would ever need to know but overall, it was a pleasant experience ... no high pressure tactics ... a very helpful, friendly shop.<p>I appreciate all the advice and suggestions on this forum.</p><p>When we have used the machine a while, I'll write a review.</p><p>Chris

Hi Chris,

What wonderful news! You not only got the vacuum you wanted at a really sweet price -- the bags alone sell for about $17.00 per pack -- but also have someone around the house to push it. I want luck like that. As for noise, most of the lightweight uprights I've heard of have been considered a little on the loud side.

Good health and enjoy the new machine for a long time to come.

Best,

Venson
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #18   Apr 24, 2009 4:12 am
Chris;

You actually came home w/a better model than you originally wanted.  This TOL Freedom will clean well.  And yes, changing the belts will not be an issue for you.  If something should happen to the belt, it is covered.  All of the  Freedom uprights have a circuit breaker.  It can come in handy and also save your machine.

I knew that you would not get one for $400.00, but you still received a good price.

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you."
Venson

Reply #19   Apr 24, 2009 6:47 am
<BR> Mike_W wrote:
Chris;&amp;lt;BR&amp;gt;&amp;lt;BR&amp;gt;You actually came home w/a better model than you originally wanted.  This TOL Freedom will clean well.  And yes, changing the belts will not be an issue for you.  If something should happen to the belt, it is covered.  All of the  Freedom uprights have a circuit breaker.  It can come in handy and also save your machine.&amp;lt;BR&amp;gt;&amp;lt;BR&amp;gt;I knew that you would not get one for $400.00, but you still received a good price.&amp;lt;BR&amp;gt;&amp;lt;BR&amp;gt;&amp;amp;quot;Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you.&amp;amp;quot;&amp;lt;br type=&amp;quot;_moz&amp;quot;/&amp;gt;&lt;BR&gt;

Actually she got an even bigger discount than the $150 or so I'd hoped for. With bags and seven-percent sales tax all worked into the final price of the F3700 against the larger MSRP the saving is $240 higher or better. That's just about what I saved on my Miele but I think I may start asking Chris for shopping lessons. She did indeed do well.

Venson
This message was modified Apr 24, 2009 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #20   Apr 24, 2009 7:49 am
Venson wrote:
<BR>
Actually she got an even bigger discount than the $150 or so I'd hoped for. With bags and seven-percent sales tax all worked into the final price of the F3700 against the larger MSRP the saving is $240 higher or better. That's just about what I saved on my Miele but I think I may start asking Chris for shopping lessons. She did indeed do well.

Venson

It pays dividends to do business with independent vacuum cleaner store owners/operators. 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #21   Apr 24, 2009 8:14 am
CarmineD wrote:
It pays dividends to do business with independent vacuum cleaner store owners/operators.  </p><p>Carmine D.

Top of the morning Carmine,

I think you're so right. The "big boxers" have a more take it or leave it attitude.

Yet, BestBuy surprised me a few weeks ago when I picked up a new external drive. The sales person apparently was allowed to negotiate and dropped the price. PC Richard has done the same in past but those purchases too involved electronic goods.

In any event, I'm happy that vac shops these days seem even more amenable to being more accommodating in regard to pricing despite the MSRP on better product. No better way to "stimulate" the economy than that.

Best,

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #22   Apr 24, 2009 8:47 am
Venson wrote:
Top of the morning Carmine,

I think you're so right. The "big boxers" have a more take it or leave it attitude.

Yet, BestBuy surprised me a few weeks ago when I picked up a new external drive. The sales person apparently was allowed to negotiate and dropped the price. PC Richard has done the same in past but those purchases too involved electronic goods.

In any event, I'm happy that vac shops these days seem even more amenable to being more accommodating in regard to pricing despite the MSRP on better product. No better way to "stimulate" the economy than that.

Best,

Venson

Hi Venson:

Difficult times call for difficult choices.  Consumers reap the benefits.

Carmine D.

ZZZZZ

Reply #23   Apr 24, 2009 4:00 pm
Venson wrote:
<BR>

Venson

Right you are Venson. The sales tax was $30. If the bags are worth $17, I got it pretty close to $400. Now we could have driven to Delaware where there is no sales tax or to one of the state's urban enterprise zones where sales tax is 3.5% but how do I know we would have gotten as good a deal. This shop is 10 minutes away and look what a good deal we were given! If I have any problems, I can take my machine in easily.
I did contemplate buying -  http://tinyurl.com/cah7ar - off the internet but could not get past the idea that once it was here, it would be my dime if I had to send it back. And of course it would not have all the features on the F3700.

Carmine, the box says manufactured in the USA from globally sourced components. I guess that is as good as it gets in today's corporate environment.

I used the Freedom 3700 this morning. The carpets look better than with the old Hoover so I'm a happy camper.

Chris

Just

Reply #24   Apr 24, 2009 4:55 pm
The Supralites are very good at grooming the carpet.  They are also very good at digging deep for hidden dirt.  I would not compare them to Kirby, but Consumer Reports list the Riccar Supralite just one notch below the current Kirby.  They are a little on the noisy side, agreed.  The bags are huge, the cord is long, the headlight is bright and the vacuum doesn't give you a hernia to lift. 

I have the Riccar model that is just below your Simplicity and could not be more happy.  One word of caution, the fan seems to be rather delicate.  Even more so that other fan first "dirty air" machines.  In the 40+ years I have been pushing a vacuum, I just shattered, and I do mean to the point of pieces falling out the front of the machine for the first time.   The item under the bed was a small charm that had fallen off my mother's necklace, not very large but quite damaging.  The cost of repair was about $30.  As someone with failing eyesight, I fear that the incident may be repeated, but I will be much more careful.

This message was modified Apr 24, 2009 by Just
Replies: 15 - 24 of 42Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42