Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Need a light weight vacuum

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
ZZZZZ

Need a light weight vacuum
Original Message   Apr 17, 2009 1:52 pm
Because of old age, arthritis and a bad back, I am retiring my Hoover which cleans OK but is hard to maneuver and weighs a ton.

Was going to buy Tacony 8 LB which is purported to be the same as the Bissell Prolite. However, there were some negative reviews regarding pet hair on the Prolite so I gave up on that because it seems my dog sheds half of his fur daily :-)

Then I considered the Royal MRY5000 at Amazon but cannot find reviews and Royal's website does not say if it goes from carpet to bare floors. They say the MRY6400 does but does not say the weight on the site.

Next for consideration is the Oreck Oreck XL2100RHB-2. This one has 2 speeds and that is a desirable feature. But I have read some negative things about Orecks so am conflicted while at the same time, seriously considering this machine.

Next, I saw a Hoover Clean and Light but don't know how good that would be either. It is supposed to be 2X the suction power of Oreck. Sounds good but why can't I find this vac on the Hoover site? One review at a seller's site makes me believe this would not be good for my use. For example, I would love to be able to vacuum throw rugs or mats without them being sucked into the cleaner. And I like the idea of going from carpet to bare floors like you can with Oreck.

My dream vac is a Simplicity Freedom F3600 but the price is too steep for the budget ... especially when you add in sales tax.

I don't want a Dyson because the commercials are a little too slick and frankly some reviews of their machines were not all that great. I kinda feel that if it seems to good to be true, it probably is not true.

Any comments on the above mentioned vacs or suggestions would be appreciated.

Chris

Replies: 4 - 13 of 42Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
ZZZZZ

Re: Need a light weight vacuum
Reply #4   Apr 18, 2009 11:03 am
Thanks Venson. Now I can take the U4707 and Royal off my list knowing they have issues. There is a Simplicity dealer about 10 minutes from here and a Riccar about 30 minutes. From their websites, they are basically the same vac. The one I would want is $569. Too bad there is not a Kelly Blue Book for vacuums - then I would know how much it is possible to negotiate of the MSRP. Sales tax will add 7% to any machine I buy locally.

Carmine, thanks for telling me about your Oreck. You got a good deal. The Oreck I am considering is a commercial machine, blue in color with the switch on the handle and it does have two speeds. If this is the one I eventually decide to get, it would be an internet purchase. I like the longer cords on the commercial Orecks. My current Hoover has tools on board so I could always use that if the need arises for tools. Thirty years ago, I had a two speed vacuum and low speed was good for going over throw rugs so that is why I would like that feature.

Appreciate the input ... I will report back when I make a purchase.

Chris

Venson

Reply #5   Apr 18, 2009 11:34 am
Hi Chris,

Be ready to go on the day you go to the shop. Be prepared to tell the shop proprietor the cleaner you want by specific brand and model number. (You want them to know that you KNOW the item you plan to buy.)

If in stock, once you've given the model you have in mind a perusal inquire about the cleaner's warranty, the store's return policy, the cost of disposable bags and belts. I would suggest offering $400 cash for the model you have in mind. I would also suggest that if they don't want to meet that price -- hold onto your money think on something less expensive.

Best,

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #6   Apr 18, 2009 2:09 pm
ZZZZZ wrote:

Carmine, thanks for telling me about your Oreck. You got a good deal. The Oreck I am considering is a commercial machine, blue in color with the switch on the handle and it does have two speeds. If this is the one I eventually decide to get, it would be an internet purchase. I like the longer cords on the commercial Orecks. My current Hoover has tools on board so I could always use that if the need arises for tools. Thirty years ago, I had a two speed vacuum and low speed was good for going over throw rugs so that is why I would like that feature.

Appreciate the input ... I will report back when I make a purchase.

Chris

You're welcome.  Great price as both you and MOLE point out.  I bought 4 more for the same price and gifted away.  All with good results.  On your point about the lower speed for area rugs, well made/said.  I also have a plethora of area rugs throughout my home from wool to berber, low to high.  My ORECK XL21 Classic with one speed does the cleaning/grooming well. 

Carmine D.

Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #7   Apr 18, 2009 6:35 pm
Chris;

For your situation, your first choice should be the Riccar Supralite upright or its sister brand, the Simplicity Freedom upright.  It is very good at cleaning carpeting and  especially good at picking up animal hair quickly.  It has a good warranty.  If you could, take a look at the TOL Freedom or Supralite.  This newest model has the blet that does not need to be replaced like the lower priced in its series.  If you really cannot afford it, then step down to the next model.  Actually,  any in the Freedom or Supralite upright series would work for you.  Do not expect to pay as low as $400 for the TOL model. 

I am not sure why you are ruling out the HOOVER Clean & Light.  It is true that this upright is also an Aerus and Royal, but it is also available under other brands.  So it is not dissappearing.  Why not ask, What are those issues"?  The HOOVER cleans well, but not as good as the above Tacony models.  The vacuum cleaner is easy to use/push.  Eventhough this HOOVER does not have a looped handle(my preference), it is still comfortable to hold onto.  The vacuum comes w/a two year warranty.  You can find this vacuum for approx. $100.00 at a major retailer.  At one time, they had it on sale for $80.00.  Looking on the internet,  I can see that many of the vac shops are selling them for alittle over $100.00.  This model is discontinued for HOOVER, but you  will be able to find bags and belts for it.  Looking at price, which some here like to do, you cannot beat.

HOOVER has come out w/a new model.  I think that it cleans carpeting better than the older HOOVER.  It has a new look also.  The only reason that I would keep away from this machine is the upkeep.  Bags for this vacuum cleaner are way over priced for what you are getting.  Comparable "HEPA" or "clothlike" bags come out cheaper.  Even  Riccar/Simplicity bags are more economical.  And w/these two brands, you have a choice of filtration/price levels.

To sum things up, your best overall bet would be to go w/a Tacony "8 lb." upright for its aggressive carpet cleaning ability and bags.
CarmineD

Reply #8   Apr 19, 2009 7:27 am
Hello Chris:

Don't know your sentiments about the halo, but for the price this is a deal and ORECK will probably have parts and service available for years to come.

CarmineD wrote:

Also at COSTCO, new [old] halo uprights for $99.

Halo UV-ST Ultraviolet Upright Vacuum
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11299638&search=halo&Mo=3&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=halo&Ntt=halo&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

Just

Reply #9   Apr 20, 2009 10:43 am
Speaking of the Riccar.  I bought the RSL4 last year, my advice is to go see a dealer.   Remember, retail is where you start negotiations.  I looked at the Simplicity and the dealer wasn't too willing to deal.  When I went to the Riccar dealer he gave me everything I wanted and at a good price.

The Riccar does a very good job on pet hair.  It has a stiff bristle double helix brushroll that grooms the carpet very well.  You can read my review in the review section so I won't go into all of it now.    The main differences I saw between the RSL1 that can be purchased for $179 - $199 and the RSL4 that I got for $299 are: the RSL4 has an ergo-handle with two speed motor and switch on the handle.  The RSL1 is a one speed switch on the base with a standard handle.  Motors, bags, brushrolls are the same.

ZZZZZ

Reply #10   Apr 20, 2009 11:56 am
Well, I have not decided anything yet. The plan is to go to the Simplicity store tomorrow.

The responses here lead me to more questions.

Carmine, the HSUS now has the Oreck silver for $199 and free shipping. What do you think of this one? The only issue I have with the consumer model is that - from what I have read - they only have a 20 ' cord. I have a stick vac with a 20' cord and it is an annoyance to have to keep plugging it in to another outlet.

http://www.hsus.org/shop/oreck.html

And this is the 2 speed I was considering.

http://www.livinclean.com/-strse-2436/oreck-lightweight-2100-xl/Detail.bok

The Halo on the Costco website has negative reviews. Your good review of the Oreck is one reason I am strongly considering it.

Mike W, the Simplicity that I would like is the 3600. You disagree with Venson that $400 is an acceptable price? The $569 MSRP is really too high, especially adding in the 7% sales tax. I crossed the Clean and Light off the list because of the reviews I have read by people who actually own it ... very negative. Reviews on the Tacony 8 lb. were not good either.

Just, if I could get the RSL4 for $299 I would think I died and went to vacuum cleaner heaven :-) It is exactly what I want ... the same as the Simplicity 3600.

Chris

Venson

Reply #11   Apr 20, 2009 1:12 pm
Hi Chris,

My advisement regarding the price on the F3600 is based on my having purchased not one, but two Mieles within the last year. In both cases, the purchases were made at my local independent vac shop.

First time round, the Miele Capricorn -- brand new with Miele's best power nozzle was being offered at a great price on eBay. Thinking to myself, why not keep the money in the neighborhood, I printed out the eBay post and took it to my local vac shop and said that I wanted a Capricorn at that price AND I got it. I can't call the Miele Tango I acquired a necessary purchase but I wanted one anyway. I again went back to the same shop and also got the Tango well below suggested retail. Believe me, if they had not come up with a price that was satisfying to me that Tango would still be there waiting for the next customer.

There is also another vac shop a block or two away. The proprietor is a pretty nice guy and very knowledgeable but I don't care much his mark up and he is not flexible. Therefore, I shop elsewhere except that I do stop by every now and then to pick up a small item now and then more as a matter of good will.

The main reason for my suggestion is that although I feel the F3600 is a nice enough machine, I think the price for a lightweight machine is a bit much. Your mention of affordability plus sales tax and the like also concerned me. That is why I also suggested that if you can't land one for around $150.00 or slightly more below suggested retail, save your money and buy something else. Times are tight and even $400.00 is a lot to be spending if you need to keep a very tight budget.

If you can't get the F3600, life will still go on and maybe you can do something really cool with the dough you didn't have to spend. In any event, I hope you fined something you'll really like at a price that is good for budget.

Best,

Venson
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #12   Apr 20, 2009 1:51 pm
ZZZZZ wrote:
Thanks Venson. Now I can take the U4707 and Royal off my list knowing they have issues. 

Chris

Chris;

I did not read that you read reviews, but I read the above.  I do not pay to much attention to  opinion sites like epinions or amazon, but I went to review sites today and see that they speak highly of the HOOVER Clean & Light.  I also recall a vacuum cleaner collector's site where many members speak highly of the machine.  But anything I said in the previous post is based on what I know and my experience. If someone is on a budget, this is a good machine.

If you read my above comment(that has not been edited), I said "TOL".  It is new, so you may get it for $500.00, but not $400.00.  For any vacuum,  I have always said to shop around.  When someone wants a Riccar or Simplicity,  I always say to check for the other brand and see what they can do for you.  This is the only way to do it, since Tacony will not allow the same brand to be sold in two competitive shops, in the same neighborhood.  It is possible to get the lower tiered vacuum cleaner for $400.00, but it depend on the shop.  Some will work for you and some will not.
This message was modified Apr 20, 2009 by Mike_W
CarmineD

Reply #13   Apr 20, 2009 1:53 pm
ZZZZZ wrote:

Carmine, the HSUS now has the Oreck silver for $199 and free shipping. What do you think of this one? The only issue I have with the consumer model is that - from what I have read - they only have a 20 ' cord. I have a stick vac with a 20' cord and it is an annoyance to have to keep plugging it in to another outlet.

http://www.hsus.org/shop/oreck.html

And this is the 2 speed I was considering.

http://www.livinclean.com/-strse-2436/oreck-lightweight-2100-xl/Detail.bok

The Halo on the Costco website has negative reviews. Your good review of the Oreck is one reason I am strongly considering it.

Chris

Hello Chris:

My ORECK Classic resembles the Commercial rated ORECK in your link above.  MIne is the same save the two speed switch and ergonomic handle grip and of course the commercial use warranty.  Note that the ORECK Silver series has a headlight and the ergo handle grip with on-off switch.  My ORECK has the standard industry vacuum grip with the switch on the vacuum housing.  My ORECK does not have a headlight.  I like these features, handle grip with switch and headlight, compared to mine without them.  My ORECK has a 20 foot cord.  Not a big deal for me but can be a deal breaker for some.  My house has alot of outlets and I don't mind changing from room to room.

I have said, like others here, and again now that RICCAR/SIMPLICITY lightweights are a tad bit better than the ORECK-s.  But price is always a factor.  Also, my suggestion of the halo, which is now owned by ORECK, is on the price alone.  At $99 I'm having a hard time not buying one for myself. 

Carmine D.

Replies: 4 - 13 of 42Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42