Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > The New Dyson DC27 Upright!

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

The New Dyson DC27 Upright!
Original Message   Jan 6, 2009 5:45 pm
Having another topic mentioned some new vax machines on a Littlewoods website, I had a look around to see what else might be new and came across the 'new' Dyson DC27 Upright, see link below:

http://www.littlewoods.com/rf/s.do?Np=1&Ns=&Ntk=littlewoods_search&Ntt=dyson&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&Nu=this_product&pageSize=12&Nao=0&cmEvent=page_navigation

They have 2 Models on their website 'Animal' and 'All Floors', first look suggests an update version of the US DC17 but for the UK\Europe markets.  This will be the replacement for the popular DC14.  I thought a separate motor for the brush bar like the DC17 would have been standard, but looks like it uses the DC04\DC07\DC14 clutch setup!   Not sure as the website doesn't say if it just has a slim root cyclone technology or the core is included!   It does look like it has more small cyclones than the current DC14 and DC15 and DC25 models.  See picture of DC27 All Floors model below!  DC18

+DC27+All+floors++upright+clea... 

Replies: 84 - 93 of 93Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Trilobite

Re: The New Dyson DC27 Upright!
Reply #84   Jan 24, 2009 3:34 pm
Please note that some of the TTI Vax 'Mach' models have a "Stair Cleaning Handle" situated above the headlight:

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/multipleImage.do?sku=443140&zoom=yes

CarmineD

Re: Which Magazine Results for the Dyson DC24 & DC25
Reply #85   Jan 24, 2009 3:53 pm
Hello Venson:

Points well made and taken, un-vehemently.

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #86   Jan 25, 2009 6:42 am
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

Though both the vacuums used in the demo are now out of manufdacture (they're no longer being shown as product on either company's websites), the Panasonic upright he used comes with a hose and an upholstery tool that, even though it may have no agitator, can do quite well on carpeted stairs because airflow is concentrated. The upholstery tool or a swish of the just the plain old hose end makes quick work of stuff stuck in corners on stairways.

Stair treads are small and upright cleaning heads or cans' power nozzles are big and unweldly and for all the effort not nececessarily as useful in this manner.  This also applies to the Kenmore can which I believe may even also have come with an electric mini-mate.  Also another way to very easy and effective way to clean stair carpet quickly and without a lot of huffing and puffing.

Further, this has always been a practice of mine and I've found, if done on a regular basis of course, even high pile on stairs not only gets clean it looks "alive" longer.

If shape allows, you stand a can on end and bring it with you as you go up or down stairs as you work.  If an upright has a stretch hose you clean as far up as you can and bring the cleaner up the rest of the way to get at the reamaining steps.  No stretch hose?  Well, you use one hand to fimly grip the cleaner handle and the other to work with as you bring it along with you.

Last but surely not least, the matter of safety is also to be considered.  The manner of use demonstrated is not necessarily good for most folks and is certainly not advisable to be taught to kids (age appropriate) if you involve them in helping taking care of the house -- which everybody should.  When on stairs with a vacuum of any type and even of the best design, great care should always be taken to keep the machine and user safe from falling,.

UN-vehemently,

Venson

Venson,

Thank you.  Safety is paramount.  My mom just fell the other day (she is ok) but if she got hurt, it’s real bad all the way around.  A separate hand vac or a turbo brush (no wand) connected to a second hose and then to whatever.  A user having one hand on or near the stair treads is the safest (for steep incline).  Even the canister power nozzle on treads looked somewhat dangerous.  Falling needlessly is not worth it.

DIB

P.S.  By the way, CR’s head guy's (pictured) title is...  “Head of Appliance Testing”.
<  Consumer Reports "Head of Appliance Testing" vacuuming stairs.
< All others vacuuming stairs.
This message was modified Jan 27, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #87   Jan 25, 2009 6:53 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:

P.S.  By the way, the “numbskull” or the guy that cannot figure out how to use a hose/wand off an upright is CR's “Head of Appliance Testing”.

He probably invented the handle grip attachment for the Kirby to convert it from an upright to a hand held for step/stairway cleaning.  Actually making it quicker and easier to use the Kirby in an upright mode for stair and step vacuuming than tank canister [by converting to hose/wands and zippbrush].  Ah necessity.........the mother of all inventions! 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 25, 2009 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #88   Jan 25, 2009 7:30 am
Model2 wrote:
DIB - both machines were awarded  prestigious 'Best Buys', and of all the 'Best Buy' uprights currently on sale,  the DC25 achieved the highest overall test score (70%). That's not rubbish by any stretch of the imagination. The Ball's innovative, but not perfect - yet. Think how many times Sir James had to redesign his dual cyclone system before he found the one which worked best...and think how many more times it's been reworked since then.

Addressing your point about Which? being honest, out of their 8 current 'Best Buy'  uprights, 7 of them are Dysons. I don't think you can accuse them in any way of an anti-Dyson bias!

Model2,

I was unaware of how many Dyson’s ranked high at Which, surely this pleases Sir James.  But, Dyson is being knocked off at a rapid rate and being under priced too.  His biggest invention of late are the steering vacuums, and it hurts sales when Which or whomever dismisses these advances.  How did Which they come to this (3 out of 5 stars) conclusion?  Surely they did not use math (when comparing to competitors vac’s that weigh at or near the same).  Math would prove the vacuums much easier to maneuver and math would show Dyson Ball vacuums require less effort to maneuver.

DIB
This message was modified Jan 25, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #89   Jan 27, 2009 4:51 am
Cleaning the stairs w/the rotating brush of the upright or the power nozzle of a canister will bring the best results. Using an upholstery attachment or mini turbo brush will clean, but will not be as effective as the previously mentioned.  The upright has a wider path, so cleaning the stairs can be completed faster than the upholstery attachment.  It is also more aggressive than a mini turbo brush or suction alone.  Even if the suction is strong,  thorough cleaning of thicker carpeting requires more than suction.

I am quite experienced cleaning staircases using the upright or a canister w/power nozzle. .  I think the first time I vacuumed stairs w/an upright, was w/a soft bagged GE or Eureka.  It was so long ago, I cannot remember.  I have not fallen once when using a vacuum cleaner.  I have slipped while walking down stairs w/o anything in my hands though.  Luckily, I fell backwards onto the stairs instead of forwards.  So, using a vacuum cleaner on stairs does not mean that you will fall. Singling out the vacuum cleaner is not fair.  Everyday, people walk up and down stairs with laundry baskets, trashcans/bags, groceries, etc.  So I guess they should stop doing that also, because they can fall.

While recommending the stair-vacuuming procedure for best results,  I always recommend taking great care when vacuuming.  Vacuum-makers also recommend taking care.  Vacuuming the stairs using the upright or canister w/power nozzle may not be the best way for elderly people, but then I think they should not be vacuuming the stairs if they have a hard time moving around.  

I am not the only person that vacuums the stairs this way, and vacuum cleaner manufacturers know this.  That is why brands like Eureka, HOOVER, Kenmore, Aerus, Sanitaire, Royal, etc. have/had models w/stair-cleaning handles.  

While there are brands that have stair-cleaning handles, there are some vacuum cleaners that can be used, that do not have the special handle.

So, the guy vacuuming the stairs w/the Panasonic upright is not out of place.  I could not see anyone vacuuming that way w/the HOOVER Z.

P.S. Let's reframe from the name-calling.  Even if it is directed towards someone/something outside the forum.
This message was modified Jan 27, 2009 by Mike_W
Venson

Reply #90   Jan 27, 2009 8:01 am
Mike_W wrote:
Cleaning the stairs w/the rotating brush of the upright or the power nozzle of a canister will bring the best results. Using an upholstery attachment or mini turbo brush will clean, but will not be as effective as the previously mentioned.  The upright has a wider path, so cleaning the stairs can be completed faster than the upholstery attachment.  It is also more aggressive than a mini turbo brush or suction alone.  Even if the suction is strong,  thorough cleaning of thicker carpeting requires more than suction.

Which is why I have always preferred using the electric mini nozzles that come with Kenmore and Electrolux.  I have done my snare of stair cleaning too and the electric mini nozzles served quite well for me even on stair carpeting that had priorly gotten lick and a promise going over.  The turboi nozzles depend too much on airflow to keep the brush running up ot speed and cleanning suction is sacrificed for that reason.

Evewn if straight suction, maller tools also allow for easier access to routing lint and dust in corners and between balusters in one fell swoop.  May not work for you but it certainly works for me -- and the job gets done in no time.

Best,

Venson

PS -- forgot to mention it is usual to give the risers a hit too.  That is not easily achieved with with a full-sized upright.
This message was modified Jan 27, 2009 by Venson
DysonInventsBig

Reply #91   Jan 27, 2009 2:30 pm

My greater point has always been - CR is withholding information.  Not only over the small stuff (acceptable), but withholding over the big stuff (unacceptable)...

CR is notorious for omitting major advances to the vacuum cleaner.  It must infuriate manufacturers when they spend many millions on these advances only to have CR willfully and unfairly omit these advancements (i.e. inventions).  Is it hard to detach a hose and wand and demonstrate or mention?  The upright is an American favorite, yet CR chooses not to mention these advances, let along do a video demonstration.  Although they do go out of their way to video the upright cleaning stairs in an unsafe manner (some folks can do safely, some cannot).  The paying and trusting reader looses, and the innovative manufacturer[s] looses.

CR should mention the top [mechanical] methods and then recommend.

DIB

This message was modified Jan 27, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Trebor

Reply #92   Jan 27, 2009 10:41 pm
As Carmine mentioned, the Kirby portable handle does allow the Kirby to be used to deep clean stair treads very effectively. However, it does not get deep in the corners and the join of the riser and the tread.

Have to use the crevice tool, on the hose OR, you can take a cordless dustbuster with crevice tool and just keep moving it to the step underneath the one you are cleaning w/ the Kirby hand portable. It works well, and done in one go

CarmineD

Reply #93   Mar 10, 2009 1:34 pm
In the mail, I received the Sam's Club Spring Cleaning magazine called "Source."   Advertised for sale as an exclusive for select Sam' s Clubs is dyson's DC27 for $479.62.  I quote:  " Features patented Root Cyclone technology that doesn't lose suction as you vacuum."    With an asterisked footnote:  Dyson proves no loss of suction using IEC C1 29 test standard. 

Carmine D. 

Replies: 84 - 93 of 93Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42