Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > The New Dyson DC27 Upright!

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

The New Dyson DC27 Upright!
Original Message   Jan 6, 2009 5:45 pm
Having another topic mentioned some new vax machines on a Littlewoods website, I had a look around to see what else might be new and came across the 'new' Dyson DC27 Upright, see link below:

http://www.littlewoods.com/rf/s.do?Np=1&Ns=&Ntk=littlewoods_search&Ntt=dyson&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&Nu=this_product&pageSize=12&Nao=0&cmEvent=page_navigation

They have 2 Models on their website 'Animal' and 'All Floors', first look suggests an update version of the US DC17 but for the UK\Europe markets.  This will be the replacement for the popular DC14.  I thought a separate motor for the brush bar like the DC17 would have been standard, but looks like it uses the DC04\DC07\DC14 clutch setup!   Not sure as the website doesn't say if it just has a slim root cyclone technology or the core is included!   It does look like it has more small cyclones than the current DC14 and DC15 and DC25 models.  See picture of DC27 All Floors model below!  DC18

+DC27+All+floors++upright+clea... 

Replies: 74 - 83 of 93Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: The New Dyson DC27 Upright!
Reply #74   Jan 23, 2009 7:11 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Isn't it obvious?  The Which “technicians” studied under the Consumer Reports lead technician.  When this CR tech carries an upright up stairs to vacuum vice using the hose and wand...  this is exactly the type of gag you’d see in the old Jerry Lewis, Dean Martin movies.  Funny stuff. 

Joke's on you DIB.  Many users like me prefer the revolving brush roll action of the upright for cleaning and grooming stairways.  Rather than straight suction with wand.  You'll note many full size and light weight uprights include a "stair handle' for the purpose.  THose that don't include the turbo tool on board for the same reason.

PS:  Jerry and Dean are 2 of my al time favorites. 

Carmine D.

DysonInventsBig

Reply #75   Jan 23, 2009 8:36 pm
When CR dismisses the benefits of a hose and wand and alike, how do they arrive at such decisions?  Do they flip a coin or...?  However CR arrives at such decisions, it is the paying subscribers who are duped and the innovative manufacturers who are hurt.  A chimp could do much of the so-called [vacuum cleaner] science and evaluations done at CR.

DIB

P.S.  Jerry Lewis has my respect.  The man made history with his humor and does much good and for many.  He should of died long ago, God has kept it from happening.  He needs him.

CR on stairs (video):  http://www.viddler.com/explore/InventBig/videos/40/?secreturl=64584337

This message was modified Jan 23, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Venson

Re: Which Magazine Results for the Dyson DC24 & DC25
Reply #76   Jan 24, 2009 2:00 am
DysonInventsBig wrote:

Below is an example demonstrating how stupid and/or bias consumer magazines (Consumer Reports) can be.  Unfortunately those who work hard to engineer innovations for a tired appliance are not given the proper respect by way of a fair and comprehensive review and/or comparisons.

DIB

DIB, you're right --- it is a dumb and ineffective to clean stairs especially with a high suction upright that has attachments aplenty that can do the job better in another manner.  So dumb that it's too stupid to try to make a point with.   I can only imagine that  it was pure acciident that a photo shoot with such a numbskull got into the magazine or online. Then again this situation may have been a  chance for weight training by this nudnick.

Venson
Trilobite

Reply #77   Jan 24, 2009 6:33 am
According to the Argos.co.uk site, this cleaner is the Dyson "N27"!

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4063201/Trail/searchtext%3EDYSON.htm

Trilobite

Reply #78   Jan 24, 2009 6:38 am
CarmineD

Reply #79   Jan 24, 2009 6:47 am
Venson wrote:
DIB, you're right --- it is a dumb and ineffective to clean stairs especially with a high suction upright that has attachments aplenty that can do the job better in another manner.  So dumb that it's too stupid to try to make a point with.   I can only imagine that  it was pure acciident that a photo shoot with such a numbskull got into the magazine or online. Then again this situation may have been a  chance for weight training by this nudnick.

Venson

Hello Venson:

I have to disagree vehemently.  If we vacuum the carpets on our floors with an upright [and revolving brush], especially the heavy traffic areas, why not the steps then?  Due to the difficulty to do so with most uprights?  The risers and crevices are fine for straight suction of wand and hose.  But never the steps.  Must be vacuumed and groomed in a way that only a revolving brush does.  Else they mat down.  The best option is a hand held with a revolving brush, especially if it's my grand daughter doing the vacuuming.  Much easier than a DC 07 pink.  Of course with age, steps are no longer an option.  Wastes too much energy.  Not vacuuming, but climbing!

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 24, 2009 by CarmineD
Trilobite

Reply #80   Jan 24, 2009 7:16 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Venson:

I have to disagree vehemently.  If we vacuum the carpets on our floors with an upright [and revolving brush], especially the heavy traffic areas, why not the steps/stairs then?  Of course with age, steps are no longer an option.

Carmine D.

I have to agree with Carmine. In fact, Hoover used to recommend using their uprights in such a fashion on stair carpets, as this was a far more efficient method of removing the damaging grit than using the tool set. This probably is still true today; the floor agitator is generally more aggressive than the mini-turbo upholstery nozzles.

I have seen me use my Dyson DC15 in such a fashion, as fighting the hose and wand is such a pain in the arse, and the hose never stretches the full length of the stairs. Instead of cleaning the top half of the stairs with the hose and then carrying the cleaner down, in order to work up from the bottom, I find it much easier to grab the cleaner in carpet-cleaning mode and work down the steps in one pass. Saves all this faffing about.

Model2

~ It Beats...as it Sweeps...as it Cleans ~

Reply #81   Jan 24, 2009 7:25 am
N27 - that's very interesting; I last checked the Argos page a few days ago, and it was still the DC27. I wonder if they've decided to change the model designation?

~ However Clean - Hoover Cleaner ~
CarmineD

Reply #82   Jan 24, 2009 7:55 am
N for nudnick! 

At 293 pounds and an exchange rate now of $1.49 to the pound, that's $450 US smackers.  Have to be a rich nudnick to buy it!  Any of those around these days.  COSTCO stores can't sell DC14 Animals [MSRP $549] for $350 with the current economic conditions, how can a N27 sell for $450 plus?  Never happen now.  A few years ago, yes.  Now, this product at that price is dead in the water. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 24, 2009 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #83   Jan 24, 2009 12:47 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Venson:

I have to disagree vehemently.  If we vacuum the carpets on our floors with an upright [and revolving brush], especially the heavy traffic areas, why not the steps then?  Due to the difficulty to do so with most uprights?  The risers and crevices are fine for straight suction of wand and hose.  But never the steps.  Must be vacuumed and groomed in a way that only a revolving brush does.  Else they mat down.  The best option is a hand held with a revolving brush, especially if it's my grand daughter doing the vacuuming.  Much easier than a DC 07 pink.  Of course with age, steps are no longer an option.  Wastes too much energy.  Not vacuuming, but climbing!

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

Though both the vacuums used in the demo are now out of manufdacture (they're no longer being shown as product on either company's websites), the Panasonic upright he used comes with a hose and an upholstery tool that, even though it may have no agitator, can do quite well on carpeted stairs because airflow is concentrated. The upholstery tool or a swish of the just the plain old hose end makes quick work of stuff stuck in corners on stairways.

Stair treads are small and upright cleaning heads or cans' power nozzles are big and unweldly and for all the effort not nececessarily as useful in this manner.  This also applies to the Kenmore can which I believe may even also have come with an electric mini-mate.  Also another way to very easy and effective way to clean stair carpet quickly and without a lot of huffing and puffing.

Further, this has always been a practice of mine and I've found, if done on a regular basis of course, even high pile on stairs not only gets clean it looks "alive" longer.

If shape allows, you stand a can on end and bring it with you as you go up or down stairs as you work.  If an upright has a stretch hose you clean as far up as you can and bring the cleaner up the rest of the way to get at the reamaining steps.  No stretch hose?  Well, you use one hand to fimly grip the cleaner handle and the other to work with as you bring it along with you.

Last but surely not least, the matter of safety is also to be considered.  The manner of use demonstrated is not necessarily good for most folks and is certainly not advisable to be taught to kids (age appropriate) if you involve them in helping taking care of the house -- which everybody should.  When on stairs with a vacuum of any type and even of the best design, great care should always be taken to keep the machine and user safe from falling,.

UN-vehemently,

Venson
This message was modified Jan 24, 2009 by Venson
Replies: 74 - 83 of 93Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42