Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > GE Canister Vacuum Model 169072 VC-396 Info?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
lazaruspup

GE Canister Vacuum Model 169072 VC-396 Info?
Original Message   Dec 11, 2008 3:19 pm
OK, here is a post for the pro's. For years I have used a Dyson DC11 and Dyson DC21 as my primary vacuums in the house. I also had a GE Canister Vacuum Model 106766(which is actually a rebranded Eureka HP6855A can). I have had a great experience with the GE can, but incurred the occasional problem with cleaning efficiency with both Dysons. My house is primary hardwoods with some floor cloths and area rugs scattered throughout. The downstairs is a very expensive low cut frieze which cannot have a brushroll used on it per the manufacturer. I went to Wal-Mart to purchase some bags for the GE can and found this beast below on sale for $148.00. A friend of mine had a struggling Hoover Elite that was ready for the trash pile so I gifted the older GE can to them and replaced it with the GE 106766 below. I tried to find some info on this machine online, but was unable to garner anything on who makes it, etc. It looks to be a Eureka of some type as it shares some characteristics of their Boss Can and their Air Extreme can. I was lucky enough to find bags and filters on eBay in quantity very cheap. Anyone have any ideas on this one? I know for a fact it outcleans both my Dysons hands down. The filtration according to a particulate counter is very low even though the can doesn't seem to be fully sealed. The suction is so good with a new bag and filter that you have to pry the hard floor tool off the floor when on full suction. The plastic is a little suspect in the build but otherwise seems to be a solid product. I will post a full review after a little more use. Any info or thoughts on the origin of this little guy would be great.

http://www.govacuum.com/lib/vacuumcleanerbacgs/GE169072
Replies: 18 - 27 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: GE Canister Vacuum Model 169072 VC-396 Info?
Reply #18   Dec 14, 2008 7:09 am
lazaruspup wrote:
 He postulated that Riccar may be using some of the same factories as Eureka to manufacture their Harmony/Oxygen units and vice versa, the Moonlight and Sunburst. Its possible that Wal-Mart stepped aside from the manufacturers and commissioned their own vac from the manufacturer and passed up the middle man all together. Maybe this is just the start of Wal-Mart using the GE brand to go beyond just vacuum cleaners, and small kitchen electrics.

Hello Drew:

Both postulations, his and yours,  are excellent and reasonable.  Thanks for the follow up info.

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #19   Dec 14, 2008 11:47 am
Di d this canister use cn-1 bags???

mole

Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #20   Dec 14, 2008 2:57 pm
The info on this thread is so wrong.  Didn't anyone remember what I said when the two models first came out?  The info on the site you linked to is wrong also.

And no the CN-1 bags are for the GE/Eureka canister that was green.
CarmineD

Reply #21   Dec 14, 2008 8:09 pm
mole wrote:
Did this canister use cn-1 bags???

mole

Hello MOLE:

The [CN-1] are the paper bags for the first green GE Wal*Mart canister.  Here's a pic from the W*M site for the CN-1 bags:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4066646

By comparison, here is a pic of the paper bags for the latest Wal*Mart GE canister [bronze] model 169072.  From the GoVacuum Web Site.  [Not on the W*M site yet].

http://www.govacuum.com/gecavabaform.html

Also, W*M carries the replacement bags for the bronze GE 169072 cann under the Arm & Hammer brand name for $5.97 for 3 bags.  Decent made allergen bag too from the appearance.  Click on the "GE cann bag"

http://www.armhammervac.com/prod_cats/ge.html#

As Dusty indicated, the GE 169072 bag appears identical to the RICCAR Moonlight and Sunburst bag.  Tho, the Arm & Hammer replacement specifically cites the GE 169072 model with no reference to the RICCAR.  There was no A&H replacement on the W*M shelves for the RICCAR Moonlight and Sunburst models.  At least not in the W*M store I was in and looking at.  Not yet.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 15, 2008 by CarmineD
lazaruspup

Reply #22   Dec 14, 2008 10:20 pm
Mike,<BR><BR>Enlighten those of us that weren't around when these were released and tell us what you said?? What is so wrong about the info in the thread?

Edit: Actually I looked up Mike's assertions and as I stated in the above info, I don't doubt that TTI might have manufactured this vacuum, but if they did, they are using some Electrolux/Eureka parts, as well as borrowing ideas from Riccar/Simplicity. The stamp on the motor inside the vac clearly stated Electrolux Home Care, Bloomington, IL and the bags are obviously interchangeable with the Moonlight/Sunburst/JackandJill. Honestly as I said, out of curiosity, I would like to know where these are coming from, but do I care?? No. Its a pretty good product for the price.
This message was modified Dec 15, 2008 by lazaruspup
CarmineD

Reply #23   Dec 15, 2008 7:04 am
Hello Drew:

Me thinks that Mike W. doth protest too much, to quote Mr. Shakespeare.

The Chinese vacuum producing plants are probably used by several vacuum companies producing different vacuum brands and models.  Especially for canns.  On several occasions, others here [like MOLE for instance just recently] have commented that the new vacuum models [especially canns] regardless of the brand names are all looking alike these days.  I noted too that the latest TTI/HOOVER Tempo didn't use a typical HOOVER brush roll but one that looked like a EUREKA.  BISSELL Healthy Home uses one that looks like a HOOVER WT brush roll.  Probably because they are all produced in the same country at the same plants by the same workers.  At the end of the assembly line is a rep from each company ready to slap on a particular brand name sticker.  Why?  It's easier and cheaper to make, track, and market.  The bigger issue for vacuum users is really the parts: Which brands/models are interchangeable and where are they available. 

These are difficult economic times for vacuum makers too, just like everyone else.  They work together to coexist and survive or they go their merry ways and hope for the best.  Which business path is smarter?  Nothing new.  Vacuum makers have been doing this for years, decades, generations. 

Carmine D.

Moderator Mike_W

Reply #24   Dec 15, 2008 2:13 pm
lazaruspup wrote:
  I tried to find some info on this machine online, but was unable to garner anything on who makes it, etc. It looks to be a Eureka of some type as it shares some characteristics of their Boss Can and their Air Extreme can. I was lucky enough to find bags and filters on eBay in quantity very cheap. Anyone have any ideas on this one? 

Any info or thoughts on the origin of this little guy would be great.

http://www.govacuum.com/lib/vacuumcleanerbacgs/GE169072

Andrew;

Why are you now saying you do not care who makes it?   (see  above) The brand and/or who makes it does sometimes play an important role in it reliability.

Just because it says Electrolux Homecare on the motor, does not mean that that company made the machine.  I have a fan that I purchased in the 70's w/a Westinghouse motor.  Does that mean Westinghouse made it.  No.  They were not making fans at that time.  Maybe the dyson people could answer this, since the dyson used a Panasonic motor, does that mean Panasonic makes the dyson?  Look at the insides of a GE window a/c.  You will find major parts from both Samsung and Daewoo.  These are two separate conglomerates.

Companies, in China, use designs from other companies.  Do you remember when the similar "copy" of the Bosch came out in the U.S.?  That was not a Bosch.  Because it looked like it, does not mean it is.  Alot of the vacuum cleaners today have that same "European" design/look, so I am not sure how it looks like a Eureka Boss or even a Harmony.

I know that the GE(Walmart) bags fit other vacuum cleaners, but so do others.  I know of bags of one brand will fit another brand that have no connection to eachother.  Other countries have had bags that fit more than one brand longer than we have had.  It is finally trickling down to us w/the advent of companies using these Chinese companies to build their vacuum line.  It is cheaper to make one bag that will fit many other brands.  Companies are getting away from being "original" in respect to parts.

Look at the Riccar/Simplicity attachments on their Chinese-made attachments.  These are made by a Chinese parts supply company and found on many different brands.

The company that you linked to is misinforming people.  The GE vacuum cleaner is still available at Walmart, but it may not be at every Walmart.  The bags are available at Walmart, but they will say  Arm & Hammer.  Walmart does not use the name brand bags.  This has been discussed before on here.    All the Walmarts, in my area, have them.  There is at least one on the shelf of each store.  The vacuum cleaners have been available since I first talked about this canister a few years ago.  The model is not listed on the website w/the other vacuum cleaners, but they sell it.  Just like the Bissell Versus is not on the website, but Walmart sells it(for less).

The GE 169072 is a good performing canister vacuum cleaner.  It has many attachments to choose from, for the user's cleaning needs.  It comes w/a power nozzle that is slim.  I do not care for the power nozzle, because it will not clean very well on thick carpeting.  The brushroll is not very aggressive.  The vacuum uses a pigtail cord, on the end of the machine-end of the hose.  This means that the hose will not swivel 360 degrees on the vacuum cleaner.  Overall, the vacuum cleaner is very good for the price.
This message was modified Dec 15, 2008 by Mike_W
Moderator Mike_W

Reply #25   Dec 15, 2008 2:19 pm
CarmineD wrote:

Me thinks that Mike W. doth protest too much, to quote Mr. Shakespeare.

Carmine D.

Oh Carmine, you were not saying that a few years ago.  I am saying the same thing I said back then.  Do you remember what you said?  It was not "doth protest too much" 
lazaruspup

Reply #26   Dec 15, 2008 4:01 pm
Mike, I am saying I don't care who makes it in the sense that I am not going to take it back to the store if I found out its a TTI-made machine or that its secretly constructed by gnomes in the Malaysian jungle. As we all are sometimes about our products, we want to know what their origin is and esp. with vacuums, whether they have a brother or sister model we can swap parts/accessories, etc. from. I have had a pretty positive experience with this machine thus far. It is NOT available at any Wal-Mart stores in my area; however, the bags and filters are. I got the last one a local Wal-Mart had and when I went back the sticker and place on the shelf had been replaced by a Bissell DigiPro. I am curious about the upright that apparently was also marketed by Wal-Mart and produced for them. Looks like a direct knock off of a Dirt Devil Reaction upright. It doesn't seem to be available anywhere in the area either. I had heard rumors that it was dc'd.
CarmineD

Reply #27   Dec 15, 2008 4:33 pm
Mike_W wrote:
Oh Carmine, you were not saying that a few years ago.  I am saying the same thing I said back then.  Do you remember what you said?  It was not "doth protest too much" 

Let me restate:  Me knows you doth protest too much!

Carmine D.

Replies: 18 - 27 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42