Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > GE Canister Vacuum Model 169072 VC-396 Info?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
lazaruspup

GE Canister Vacuum Model 169072 VC-396 Info?
Original Message   Dec 11, 2008 3:19 pm
OK, here is a post for the pro's. For years I have used a Dyson DC11 and Dyson DC21 as my primary vacuums in the house. I also had a GE Canister Vacuum Model 106766(which is actually a rebranded Eureka HP6855A can). I have had a great experience with the GE can, but incurred the occasional problem with cleaning efficiency with both Dysons. My house is primary hardwoods with some floor cloths and area rugs scattered throughout. The downstairs is a very expensive low cut frieze which cannot have a brushroll used on it per the manufacturer. I went to Wal-Mart to purchase some bags for the GE can and found this beast below on sale for $148.00. A friend of mine had a struggling Hoover Elite that was ready for the trash pile so I gifted the older GE can to them and replaced it with the GE 106766 below. I tried to find some info on this machine online, but was unable to garner anything on who makes it, etc. It looks to be a Eureka of some type as it shares some characteristics of their Boss Can and their Air Extreme can. I was lucky enough to find bags and filters on eBay in quantity very cheap. Anyone have any ideas on this one? I know for a fact it outcleans both my Dysons hands down. The filtration according to a particulate counter is very low even though the can doesn't seem to be fully sealed. The suction is so good with a new bag and filter that you have to pry the hard floor tool off the floor when on full suction. The plastic is a little suspect in the build but otherwise seems to be a solid product. I will post a full review after a little more use. Any info or thoughts on the origin of this little guy would be great.

http://www.govacuum.com/lib/vacuumcleanerbacgs/GE169072
Replies: 8 - 17 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
lazaruspup

Re: GE Canister Vacuum Model 169072 VC-396 Info?
Reply #8   Dec 12, 2008 8:56 pm
Its funny that you bring up the Riccar models as I went to the local vac shop here today because he bought both of my old Dysons off of me and my moms DC07 as well as we are abandoning Dysons since my mom just can't lift the big Dyson anymore; and the owner showed me some of the Riccar models and they had an eerie resemblance to the GE 169072. He was intrigued to see the model in person and I am going to drive it over to him tomorrow so he can see it as he is a collector as well as a shop owner and was also intrigued as to who might be making them. I will let you know his first impressions. The manual link posted is in fact the manual and the powerhead is as pictured. If i get a chance I'll take a photo of mine and post it. It is an intriguing desing with a height adjustment similar to the Electrolux Twin canister model, but has several LED's in the head instead of a lightbulb.
HARDSELL

Reply #9   Dec 12, 2008 9:01 pm
dusty wrote:
All four models are made in China

Dusty

Does WM sell any "Made in America" goods?  Carmine will forgive anyone but Dyson for being made in other countries.
lazaruspup

Reply #10   Dec 12, 2008 9:28 pm
I don't know about the other members here, but I am not really as concerned about who makes my goods as long as its a good quality, hardwearing, and reliable product. I buy American and foreign made items all the time. Our household is a huge consumer of EVERYTHING it seems. I have been disappointed by both American goods and foreign goods. One reason I buy at Wal-Mart and Sams is because they have generous return policies. I can buy an item, no matter who makes it, and it if doesn't work right, I don't get grief taking it back. I can't tell you how many other establishments I have tried taking an item back that I was dissatisfied with and they have me heck about it. I am the consumer, and if I am not happy, then the store shouldn't be happy. I bought a GE canister vacuum from Wal-Mart knowing that if I took the thing home and it was a total piece, I could turn around and bring it back, no questions asked. I know many of the goods that Wally World and other retailers such as Target sell, including throw away vacuums, are subpar quality, but thats why we have so many choices. Tough economic times are going to cause many retailers to consider how they treat their customers and their policies involving them; no matter where the goods come from.
CarmineD

Reply #11   Dec 13, 2008 7:15 am
Hello Lazaruspup:

Apparently many Americans feel like you about Wal*Mart.  It is the only retailer in the US, save COSTCO, that has held its own and even appreciated in stock price value in the last year despite the 40 percent loss in the market.  It's selling for $53 a share.  This is higher than its stock share price at the same time last year.  The GE cann vacuum, launched by Wal*Mart stores in 2000, has been one of the best selling vacuums in Wal*Mart history.  Some stores can't keep them stocked on the shelves, they are sold so quickly.  WM stocks and sells Arm and Hammer brand bags and filters exclusively now in all its stores too. 

For the interested:

HOW BIG IS WAL-MART? 

At Wal-Mart, Americans spend $36,000,000 every hour of every day. 

This works out to $20,928 profit every minute! 

Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1 to
St. Patrick's Day (March 17th) 
than Target sells all year. 

Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target + Sears + Costco + 
K-Mart combined. 

Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people and is the
largest private employer. And most can't speak English

Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the World. 

Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger & Safeway combined, and keep in mind they did this in only 15 years. 

During this same period, 31 Supermarket chains sought bankruptcy (including Winn-Dixie). 

Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world. 

Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the USA
of which 1,906 are SuperCenters; this is 1,000 more than it had 5 years ago. 

This year, 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur at a Wal-Mart store. (Earth's population is approximately 6.5 billion.) 

90% of all Americans live within 15 miles of a Wal-Mart.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Dec 13, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #12   Dec 13, 2008 8:04 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Does WM sell any "Made in America" goods?  Carmine will forgive anyone but Dyson for being made in other countries.

Hello HS:

Not just me.  UK consumers too.  What's the dyson market share for vacuums now in the UK?  Single digits yet? 

I haven't determined if the Brits are upset with James because he gave jobs to Malaysia at the expense of the UK.  Or because the Malaysian labor costs are 33 percent less than those in the UK.  And James, rather than lowering product prices as one would think, jacked them up!  It's probably both. 

Wal*Mart stores are quickly scrubbing dyson vacuums from its shelves.  Why?  Make room for other brands/models for the Holiday sales.  Dyson vacuums are way too overpriced.  They don't sell in the WM stores and just collect dust.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #13   Dec 13, 2008 8:29 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Lazaruspup:

Apparently many Americans feel like you about Wal*Mart.  It is the only retailer in the US, save COSTCO, that has held its own and even appreciated in stock price value in the last year despite the 40 percent loss in the market.  It's selling for $53 a share.  This is higher than its stock share price at the same time last year.  The GE cann vacuum, launched by Wal*Mart stores in 2000, has been one of the best selling vacuums in Wal*Mart history.  Some stores can't keep them stocked on the shelves, they are sold so quickly.  WM stocks and sells Arm and Hammer brand bags and filters exclusively now in all its stores too. 

For the interested:

HOW BIG IS WAL-MART? 

At Wal-Mart, Americans spend $36,000,000 every hour of every day. 

This works out to $20,928 profit every minute! 

Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1 to
St. Patrick's Day (March 17th) 
than Target sells all year. 

Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target + Sears + Costco + 
K-Mart combined. 

Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people and is the
largest private employer. And most can't speak English

Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the World. 

Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger & Safeway combined, and keep in mind they did this in only 15 years. 

During this same period, 31 Supermarket chains sought bankruptcy (including Winn-Dixie). 

Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world. 

Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the USA
of which 1,906 are SuperCenters; this is 1,000 more than it had 5 years ago. 

This year, 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur at a Wal-Mart store. (Earth's population is approximately 6.5 billion.) 

90% of all Americans live within 15 miles of a Wal-Mart.

Carmine D.

Why did you leave this off your WM list?

13 . Let Wal Mart bail out Wall Street

CarmineD

Reply #14   Dec 13, 2008 8:45 am
Wal*Mart is too smart to make a losing decision like a bail-out without financial strings attached:  Ownership and control of the companies, its Boards, and its executive compensation.  It's called the Warren Buffett business model.

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #15   Dec 13, 2008 9:42 am
Does wally world and home cheapo,sell nitrogren  instead of air for tires??????????

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #16   Dec 13, 2008 2:52 pm
Hello MOLE:

No nitrogen.  W*M [thru SAM's Club] sells "gas" at prices lower than COSTCO, even considering the 3 percent refund per gallon that COSTCO rebates to customers who use AMEX credit card for gas purchases. 

Carmine D.

lazaruspup

Reply #17   Dec 13, 2008 7:25 pm
OK, so the professional opinion at the vac shop today was that this is indeed a mash up of a Eureka/Electrolux Harmony canister and a Riccar Moonlight. The body had some of the very same stylings as the Eureka/Electrolux but the innards as he showed me were very much like the Riccar he had on the floor. He said almost all the parts from the Riccar would be interchangeable; however, curiously, the stamp on the motor was labeled Electrolux Home Care, Bloomington, IL. He postulated that Riccar may be using some of the same factories as Eureka to manufacture their Harmony/Oxygen units and vice versa, the Moonlight and Sunburst. Its possible that Wal-Mart stepped aside from the manufacturers and commissioned their own vac from the manufacturer and passed up the middle man all together. Maybe this is just the start of Wal-Mart using the GE brand to go beyond just vacuum cleaners, and small kitchen electrics.
Replies: 8 - 17 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42