Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Freedom 3500 and XL2000RHB

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
jkbmmv

Freedom 3500 and XL2000RHB
Original Message   Oct 11, 2008 2:02 pm
Hello all!

As you can tell I am new to the forum.. I came across the site while doing a search for an Oreck XL to a Simplicity freedom comparison (oddly it took me to the Oreck/Dyson flame posts from January). I have worked in the hotel industry for a while, and have been around the Orecks and other light-weight hoovers/sanitaires. I have always been a gadget guy, and vacuums are gadgets for the home. Right now, I have a Simplicity 6 series, a Filter Queen princess with power head and a Kirby G3. I plan on getting another Simplicity or Riccar for my self, and am trying to figure out something for my mother.

The other day she told me that she was having a hard time lifting the Simplicty. She has been having back problems for a while now, but this year they managed to get worse. She also uses the Kirby, but after I brought her the Simplicity, she doesn't haul it up a flight of stairs any more. The simplicity was the upstairs vacuum and the Kirby remains the high traffic cleaner for the lower level. I got to thinking, and I realized that the hotel I am at was wanting to get rid of their Oreck XL2000RHB. The housekeepers don't like it because it is loud, and I agree, it is a very noisy machine. I disassembled it, and found that someone decided to clean up the plaster/paint when the lobby was remodeled... I cleaned everything out and brought it home to my mom. I got to looking, and was hoping I can get some pointers to steer her in the right direction. As of right now, We are going to get an Oreck, either the commercial one from the hotel or a _NEW_ one from a home center if I can indeed find one for 150 bucks.

What I am wanting to know is are the non commercial ones quieter? Also, do they make a stiffer brush roll for the Oreck? I called one of the Oreck Showrooms and they said they have a basic XL2000 stick handle for 199... I am wondering if that would be a better choice than my commercial one. The only issue is the 'D' or helping hand handle is something I am _not_ willing to compromise on. Does anyone have any idea how Oreck deadens the sound? I am wondering if I could stick a sheet of dynomat in the housing to quite this thing down. My 6 series sounds like a whisper compared to this Red Monster.

Now, down the road (before the end of the year) I am going to buy a Simplicity freedom. I am thinking the 3500, non commercial version. I have always liked commercial vacs because of the longer cords, but I take a hit in the warranty. I also know that the commercial has more aluminum and the consumer has more steel.. Is the commercial really that much lighter? What do you guys think? I know the Simplicity has a stronger motor and stiffer bristles, but does it do any better on carpets, and how does it handle throw rugs? The simplicity will be mom's house warming gift when she moves again. The Oreck will stay with me, I have a few places I can use it...

Oh, and the other simplicity that I am thinking of buying my self is the Synergy. I fell in love with it when I first saw it on the internet, and the dealer I dealt with ordered one just for me to demo in the store, but I decided to go with the cheaper 6 series at that time. He said he was glad he ordered it because he hadn't had any and wanted to play with it. He sold that one and had three ordered for a few other customers before we left the store that day.

Joshua
Replies: 20 - 29 of 39Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Freedom 3500 and XL2000RHB
Reply #20   Oct 13, 2008 3:52 pm
dusty wrote:
This really isn't that different from any warranty.  The chance of a housing breaking due to a defect in material is pretty much nil.  The chance of a housing breaking from being jammed under beds and tables or perhaps a roller bearing and cap melting down is far greater.  Neither would be a warranty issue and would require payment.

Dusty

Hello Dusty:

The big difference is that ORECK puts the housing warranty in writing [for 10 years].   

Carmine D. 

HARDSELL

Reply #21   Oct 13, 2008 8:36 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Dusty:

The big difference is that ORECK puts the housing warranty in writing [for 10 years].   

Carmine D. 

Another Oreck rip off.  As dusty said, there is no reason for the housing to fail due to a defect.  If it does it should be replaced if no warranty covered it.  Oreck should give a 10 year free vacuum replacement on a $50 vacuum that sells for $800.

If Oreck wants to offer a warranty of value they should offer a 10 year replacement of belts which are known to consistantly fail.  If I recall you stated that the belts are as prone to failure from sitting idle as they are with regular use.  That is what I call planned failure and added income for Oreck). How about 10 years on the brush roll or some part that will likely fail,  The disclamers in the limited warranty certainly favor Oreck, Only covers normal domestic use.  Who defines normal.  Warranty only covers defects.  How many vacuum parts actually failure due to defects?  An electric motor that runs for 5 years and fails is not likely defective.  It is either repairable or has been terribly abused. 

Ol Dave sure knows how to stab the old and feeble in the back and smile all the time.  Funny thing is that you and so many others bleed for him.

I have to wonder why you never mentioned Oreck when you were so pro hoover. 

dusty

Reply #22   Oct 13, 2008 8:41 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Dusty:</p><p>The big difference is that ORECK puts the housing warranty in writing [for 10 years].    </p><p>Carmine D. 

They (or any other manufacturer) could put it in writing for 20 years. Fact is, the odds of having to replace a housing due to defect is slim and none. If the housing breaks due to use or a roller melting down you can be sure that you'll be charged for the repair.

Dusty
CarmineD

Reply #23   Oct 14, 2008 7:07 am
Hello Dusty:

Am I disagreeing with you?  Arguing with you?  No, not at all.  Here is my point about the ORECK warranty and vacuum warranties in general for that matter.  How many of today's new vacuums for $299 are expected by buying consumers to last 10 years?  The ORECK warranty on the housing gives vacuum consumers a perception that ORECK vacuums will last 10 years.  Guaranteed in writing.  Perception is reality [i.e the stock markets' performance over recent days].   The Achilles' heel of the vacuum industry today is disposable plastic vacuums.  It gives the vacuum industry a bad rap and rep and has for many years now.  ORECK's warranty restores consumer confidence in vacuums.  It works for Dave and ORECK buyers IMHO

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 14, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #24   Oct 14, 2008 8:17 am
HARDSELL wrote:

I have to wonder why you never mentioned Oreck when you were so pro hoover. 

HS:

I thought you would never ask!  I bought the ORECK in April 2007 for three main reasons:  First, because my dear Wife had always wanted one.  Second, because you tried one free, didn't like it, returned it under the no obligation free refund policy and criticize ORECK incessantly.  Finally, it was a special offer for the XL Classic through the Humane Society of the US for $150 without the giveaways, which I didn't want.  Thank you for providing part of the impetus for my ORECK purchase. In fact 4 ORECKS to be exact.  After using and liking, I bought and gifted 3 away to my family members.  They love their ORECK's.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Oct 14, 2008 by CarmineD
dusty

Reply #25   Oct 14, 2008 9:59 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Dusty:

Am I disagreeing with you?  Arguing with you?  No, not at all.  Here is my point about the ORECK warranty and vacuum warranties in general for that matter.  How many of today's new vacuums for $299 are expected by buying consumers to last 10 years?  The ORECK warranty on the housing gives vacuum consumers a perception that ORECK vacuums will last 10 years.  Guaranteed in writing.  Perception is reality [i.e the stock markets' performance over recent days].   The Achilles' heel of the vacuum industry today is disposable plastic vacuums.  It gives the vacuum industry a bad rap and rep and has for many years now.  ORECK's warranty restores consumer confidence in vacuums.  It works for Dave and ORECK buyers IMHO

Carmine D.

Thanks for clarifying your thoughts..I had misinturpreted them. I agree perception is everything and the 10 year warranty makes things look rosier than they are. Same goes for Dysons 5 years and Riccars 6 years etc.  The drawback to this warranty is if something does go wrong and it's not a manufacturerer defect the majority of customers immediately think the company doesn't stand behind it's product.  The longer the "limited" warranty the more chance you have of losing that customer simply because they don't understand what they are buying in to.

Dusty
DysonInventsBig

Reply #26   Oct 14, 2008 3:15 pm
Hi Dusty,

It is a behavioral problem...  People feeling entitled are the biggest problem and not reputable manufacturers and there limited warranties.  Buyer beware (take 5 minutes of ones day and read the contract that came with the product).  Those who feel entitled, also play stupid and play “the blame game ... the mfg or retailer owes me because I am not going to take responsibility for myself.  Purchasers of product have 30 days (typically) to read and learn of a products limitations and they miss this opportunity too, and of course the internet and all the information that can be obtained there as well.  There are no good excuses anymore.  Surely the responsible are hurt due the bad behavior of others.        DIB

dusty

Reply #27   Oct 14, 2008 6:53 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
Hi Dusty,

It is a behavioral problem...  People feeling entitled are the biggest problem and not reputable manufacturers and there limited warranties.  Buyer beware (take 5 minutes of ones day and read the contract that came with the product).  Those who feel entitled, also play stupid and play “the blame game ... the mfg or retailer owes me because I am not going to take responsibility for myself.  Purchasers of product have 30 days (typically) to read and learn of a products limitations and they miss this opportunity too, and of course the internet and all the information that can be obtained there as well.  There are no good excuses anymore.  Surely the responsible are hurt due the bad behavior of others.        DIB

Agreed 100%.  Except for the part about no good excuses...there are great excuses, it's just that none of them make any sense :-)

Dusty
DysonInventsBig

Reply #28   Oct 14, 2008 7:26 pm
dusty wrote:
Agreed 100%.  Except for the part about no good excuses...there are great excuses, it's just that none of them make any sense :-)<BR><BR>Dusty

Funny. Although being the son of a restauranteur (20 yrs. in business x 3 restaurants) you can imagine the volume of people served and the volume of lame excuses (including lawsuits). The humor vaporized as the financial costs began to rise. DIB:

jkbmmv

Reply #29   Oct 16, 2008 8:20 pm
So... Any ideas on making the commercial red XL2000 RHB more quiet? If I think about it when I go to either Wal-Mart or something I'll check for the audio department's sound dampening material...

Joshua
Replies: 20 - 29 of 39Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42