Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Eureka Style K Bags for 900 series (rotomatic) Any Available??

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Vernon

Eureka Style K Bags for 900 series (rotomatic) Any Available??
Original Message   Jun 23, 2008 3:10 pm
I checked with Eureka, no longer available, checked with a few distributors, no generic bags available either. These fit the ancient 900 series models (rotomatic) Are there any substitutes a guy could use instead??
Replies: 7 - 16 of 34Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
kellyfrey

Re: Eureka Style K Bags for 900 series (rotomatic) Any Available??
Reply #7   Sep 3, 2008 2:28 pm
Hello Vernon.  Did the SVC bag work out?  I just got a beautiful yellow Eureka Roto-Matic that I am restoring.  The original owner was using the paper bag by itself without the cloth bag.  Did Eureka intend that?  I would think it would leak like a sieve since only the cloth bag has the rubber seal.  I need to clean the cloth bag.  Can it be handwashed?

This is a beautifully styled machine!  I am really going to enjoy it.

Thanks!

Michael

Venson

Reply #8   Sep 3, 2008 2:58 pm
kellyfrey wrote:
The original owner was using the paper bag by itself without the cloth bag.  Did Eureka intend that? 

This is a beautifully styled machine!  I am really going to enjoy it.

Thanks!

Michael

Hi Micahel,

Butting in here . . .

Eureka canisters of that type were never intended to be used without the cloth bag.  Disposable bags were more to serve as a liner for the wide-mouth cloth bag.  The cloth bag, first of all, heightened filtering potential and, secondly, without the rubber seal that was around the top of the permanent bag it's doubtful that the machine put out full suction.

Don't wash the cloth bag.  Clean your cloth bag by either taking it outside, turning it inside out and going over it with a whisk broom or brush OR -- more convenient -- use another vacuum to clean the bag.

I remember the Eureka Golden Crowns well.  Enjoy.

Venson

kellyfrey

Reply #9   Sep 4, 2008 10:40 am
Thanks Venson!  I figured as much.  Is there a particular reason you advise against handwashing the cloth bag?  There are some rust stains from the top of the motor housing on it and I was going to use fresh lemon juice and salt to get them out...then handwash.  The bag doesn't smell particularly fresh either.  I'm relatively sure the bag is made of cotton, so I would think one gentle handwashing would not hurt it.

Michael

Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #10   Sep 4, 2008 2:06 pm
It is fine if you handwash the cloth bag.  Just make sure that it is not ready to fall apart on you.  Vacuum collectors do not like to wash bags, because they may loose their color or decals may fall off.  This bag is different.  There are no decals, because it is just a secondary filter.  The main filter is the paper bag.  Since this filter is made of cloth, it will pickup and hold everything.  Sweeping and vacuuming will not remove oils, odors and all of the dirt.  I have cleaned many a cloth inner bag w/o any problems when handled w/care.   Just air dry.
kellyfrey

Reply #11   Sep 4, 2008 2:45 pm
Thanks Mike!

Michael

CarmineD

Reply #12   Sep 4, 2008 4:25 pm
Mike_W wrote:
It is fine if you handwash the cloth bag. 

Sorry to disagree with you on this Mike, but it's not 'fine,' IMHO.   Vacuum and brush?  Most definitely.  But NEVER EVER use water on a cloth bag of this era, especially if you want to reuse the cloth bag in the vacuum for operational purposes.  Water degrades the porous nature of the cloth bag [and performance] much as filling to capacity with dirt/dust and not dumping.  The bag cloth is made to allow the fibers to give the optimum air filtration and dirt/dust containment.  Washing, even by hand, compromises the filtration performance.  Adding a detergent to the water, even mild, makes the cloth bag fibers even worse. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Sep 4, 2008 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #13   Sep 4, 2008 6:27 pm
Hi,

During the 1950s and into the 1960s, in regard to many canisters that used both disposable and cloth bags, disposable bags were more a convenience than a "must".  As for filtration, the larger part of GE's, Eureka's, Royal and crew's disposable dust bags were not of great substance. A couple of niche brands were big on touting air quality but Eureka was not among them.  The thin "liners" provided eliminated the larger part of the work in having to repeatedly shake out a cloth bag until it was clean and unclogged.  

The heavvyweight bags used singularly appeared mainly in Electrolux and Air-Way.  Yet even Electrolux and Air-Way, both noted for their especially unique disposable bags, offered cloth bags as an alternative for those who opted for thrift through use of a permanent dust bag.  I thought the like was a waste but knew more than one person who'd acquired them.

Also, though it may take a little time to look, I think I can dredge up a few old vacuum user manuals as well as housekeeping guides of that of that era that did not recommend washing cloth dust bags.  The usual rule was to buy a replacement cloth bag if the original had gotten a little ratty.

As for odors, try a little dry borax or a tadsworth of moth crystals.

Venson

Venson

Reply #14   Sep 5, 2008 7:53 am
Though from way back in the day, here's a major manufacturer's, not a collector's, advice regarding bag care ---

http://www.vacuumland.org/cgi-bin/00ShowCollectionGETD.cgi?photoshow=825-07.jpg&dir=/OWNERS_MANUALS/Hoover%20825

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #15   Sep 5, 2008 8:15 am
Hello Venson:

Thanks for taking the extra time and effort and posting the HOOVER bag care instructions.  This model appears to be one of the early 700 series, [without the headlight which came later].  Usually called the Greater HOOVER.  I say the greatest of the great.  Probably early 1930's. 

Of note, HOOVER suggests emptying the bag after each use.  And says to ensure that a "servant" is told to follow these instructions.  If I recall correctly, the engraved logo on the top of the motor hood cover of the 700 series shows a man with the words "servant to the people." 

Of note too, HOOVER refers to its "agitator."  A topic of another thread. 

Also of note, HOOVER suggests placing "sand," "salt" and/or another "granular substance" [read old coffee grinds] on the carpet in front of the vacuum to determine if the agitator is working correctly.   How?  By the substances vibrating on the carpet.  A topic of another thread.

Have to love those old time black and white graphics. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Sep 5, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #16   Sep 5, 2008 9:10 am
Y ou know you got to love it, i mean by seeing and reading about where this industry has come from and where its going.

All the PLAYERS had their own style and identity,you could tell one brand from another [the craftmenship was outstanding] companies acually took pride in their workmanship, they really thought things through, people acually enjoyed going to work each day,

Maybe they were really the good old days...........................

MOLE

Replies: 7 - 16 of 34Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42