Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Eureka Style K Bags for 900 series (rotomatic) Any Available??

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Vernon

Eureka Style K Bags for 900 series (rotomatic) Any Available??
Original Message   Jun 23, 2008 3:10 pm
I checked with Eureka, no longer available, checked with a few distributors, no generic bags available either. These fit the ancient 900 series models (rotomatic) Are there any substitutes a guy could use instead??
Replies: 1 - 10 of 34NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: Eureka Style K Bags for 900 series (rotomatic) Any Available??
Reply #1   Jun 23, 2008 3:27 pm
Hi Vernon,

Check here --http://www.svcvacuum.com/eureka/eureka_k_vacuum_bag.htm

Please be advised that I am not affiliated or familiar with this company.  You must satisfy yourself as to their prices and reliablity.  Also . . .

The original wide-mouth disposable bags for that machine had about a half-inch paper collar stitched on.  If you can't find something to fit the width then see if you can find a generic bag for the GE swivel top canister.  I can't guarantee a perfect fit you can fit the bag into the permanent bag, fold the excess over the rubber sealing ring and then fit the permanent bag and the excess into the vacuum.

Hope that helps,

Venson

Vernon

Reply #2   Jun 28, 2008 10:37 am
Venson,

Thanks for the SVC link, yes, they have them, but they told me that they custom make the bag.  Don't know how they do this, but would be interesting to see.

In regards to the GE replacement bags, already tried it, not quite wide enough.  Thought it was a good idea too.

Out of all the dealers and wholesalers I've been told to contact, only SVC Vacuum was able to help!

Vernon
mole

Reply #3   Jun 29, 2008 3:02 pm
Hello Vernon,

I realize that your looking for type K eureka bags,if you check out old vacuum shops I would say the east coast U.S.A. is more than likely your best shot.

Doesnt this machine have the cloth bag in it?,you can use that for a template, I'm surprized that you cant find these anywhere,it was a very popular bag,

Might want to check E-BAY out .

Good luck

mole

CarmineD

Reply #4   Jun 29, 2008 3:42 pm
mole wrote:
Hello Vernon,

I realize that your looking for type K eureka bags,if you check out old vacuum shops I would say the east coast U.S.A. is more than likely your best shot.

Doesnt this machine have the cloth bag in it?,you can use that for a template, I'm surprized that you cant find these anywhere,it was a very popular bag,

Might want to check E-BAY out .

Good luck

mole

Hello Gents:

MOLE, yes the paper bag fits inside a cloth permanent bag.  What sets this paper insert apart from others of the era [like the GE Cann] is the thin cardboard rim stitched and glued to the top of the paper bag.  It allows the paper bag to sit tightly inside the groove on the top of the rubber gasket on the cloth bag rim that fits in the vacuum.  Not surprised these are very hard to find and special orders.  Wonderful straight suction vacuum, very quiet, with a very clean exhaust air for its old age.  Lamb motor if I remember correctly.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 29, 2008 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #5   Jun 29, 2008 8:58 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Gents:

. . . .  What sets this paper insert apart from others of the era [like the GE Cann] is the thin cardboard rim stitched and glued to the top of the paper bag. 

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

Elaborate is the wrong word I guess, but early GE swivel-tops employed a somewhat dome-shaped plastic collar inside. You had to fit a portion of the top of the wide mouth disposable bag through it after fitting the lower portion of the paper bag into the permanent cloth bag and then flatten that against the collar before clamping the cover on.  The collar was important due to the design of the machine.  The bottom of the collar allowed for a seal against the rubber ring on the permanent bag as it held the folded over part against a second rubber seal where air entered from the swivel top.  Later GE swivel-top canisters dumped the collar and the puter cover design but the disposable bag style did not change and bag changing remained a little involved.  GE always got points off because of this by way of CR.

As I recall, authentic GE swivel top bags were always pink.  Do you think they did that to please the ladies?

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #6   Jun 29, 2008 9:48 pm
Hello Venson:

You have excellent knowledge of the GE canns, the cloth bag/paper bag insert with collar.  Huge dirt capacity for a cann.  I used a GE swivel with only cloth bag [and collar] for my under the bench vacuum for many years.  Why?  Good as both a suction cleaner/blower.  I always left the exhaust cover off the vacuum, so I could easily attach the hose for suction/blowing depending on the circumstances.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jun 29, 2008 by CarmineD
kellyfrey

Reply #7   Sep 3, 2008 2:28 pm
Hello Vernon.  Did the SVC bag work out?  I just got a beautiful yellow Eureka Roto-Matic that I am restoring.  The original owner was using the paper bag by itself without the cloth bag.  Did Eureka intend that?  I would think it would leak like a sieve since only the cloth bag has the rubber seal.  I need to clean the cloth bag.  Can it be handwashed?

This is a beautifully styled machine!  I am really going to enjoy it.

Thanks!

Michael

Venson

Reply #8   Sep 3, 2008 2:58 pm
kellyfrey wrote:
The original owner was using the paper bag by itself without the cloth bag.  Did Eureka intend that? 

This is a beautifully styled machine!  I am really going to enjoy it.

Thanks!

Michael

Hi Micahel,

Butting in here . . .

Eureka canisters of that type were never intended to be used without the cloth bag.  Disposable bags were more to serve as a liner for the wide-mouth cloth bag.  The cloth bag, first of all, heightened filtering potential and, secondly, without the rubber seal that was around the top of the permanent bag it's doubtful that the machine put out full suction.

Don't wash the cloth bag.  Clean your cloth bag by either taking it outside, turning it inside out and going over it with a whisk broom or brush OR -- more convenient -- use another vacuum to clean the bag.

I remember the Eureka Golden Crowns well.  Enjoy.

Venson

kellyfrey

Reply #9   Sep 4, 2008 10:40 am
Thanks Venson!  I figured as much.  Is there a particular reason you advise against handwashing the cloth bag?  There are some rust stains from the top of the motor housing on it and I was going to use fresh lemon juice and salt to get them out...then handwash.  The bag doesn't smell particularly fresh either.  I'm relatively sure the bag is made of cotton, so I would think one gentle handwashing would not hurt it.

Michael

Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #10   Sep 4, 2008 2:06 pm
It is fine if you handwash the cloth bag.  Just make sure that it is not ready to fall apart on you.  Vacuum collectors do not like to wash bags, because they may loose their color or decals may fall off.  This bag is different.  There are no decals, because it is just a secondary filter.  The main filter is the paper bag.  Since this filter is made of cloth, it will pickup and hold everything.  Sweeping and vacuuming will not remove oils, odors and all of the dirt.  I have cleaned many a cloth inner bag w/o any problems when handled w/care.   Just air dry.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 34NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42