Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Help choosing a new vacuum cleaner :)

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
scathontiphat

Help choosing a new vacuum cleaner :)
Original Message   Apr 29, 2008 5:30 pm
Hello,

I'll be honest, I know nothing about vacuum cleaners except that I need one. I have 4 criteria for selection:
1) Works well
2) built well/will last me a long long time (serviceable)
3) Made in US, Japan, or Western Europe
4) Hopefully no more than $350

I think Oreck may end up being my choice since it's made in the US and I haven't found any others that aren't manufactured in south east Asia. But that's why I'm here! To tap into your brains :)
Replies: 14 - 23 of 131Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
scathontiphat

Re: Help choosing a new vacuum cleaner :)
Reply #14   May 1, 2008 5:16 pm
Thanks for the suggestions guys! This is super helpful. Just FYI about the flooring situation: it's mostly fairly plush carpeting, with a few bare floors. Don't really have a preference of canister versus upright.
CarmineD

Reply #15   May 1, 2008 6:19 pm
scathontiphat wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions guys! This is super helpful. Just FYI about the flooring situation: it's mostly fairly plush carpeting, with a few bare floors. Don't really have a preference of canister versus upright.

What are you currently using and how well do you like it?

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #16   May 2, 2008 4:56 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Morning Carmine,

I still use the Royal and Kirby.  The weather is nice in TN.  Too much golf to play vs playing with vacs.  I doubt that I will buy a new Dyson as I really only like the DC7. I admit that I have no experience with any of the $#%* and I may try one later.

Hello HS:

I know you are not a fan of Wal*Mart BUT..........if you are interested in the DC07, WM is discounting the dyson DC07 Original from its $378 to $319.  And it's an advertised special too thru May 11 [strike another blow against the dyson MAP].  With the purchase, you get a $50 WM Gift Card.  Not too bad: $270 for a new DC07.  The only draw back is a 2 year warranty instead of the 5 year.  Pretty blue color.  WM exclusive dyson.  I hear they have lots, so you may want to wait awhile and see if WM ups the ante.  Say a $100 Gift card.  Did I mention that WM stock is up over 22 percent this year.  At $58 a share.  If it throws in some stock shares, I might even buy another dyson and gift it away to my worse enemy!  I know what you are thinking HS.  No such luck.  It's not you!

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 2, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #17   May 2, 2008 5:18 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello HS:

I know you are not a fan of Wal*Mart BUT..........if you are interested in the DC07, WM is discounting the dyson DC07 Original from its $378 to $319.  And it's an advertised special too thru May 11 [strike another blow against the dyson MAP].  With the purchase, you get a $50 WM Gift Card.  Not too bad: $270 for a new DC07.  The only draw back is a 2 year warranty instead of the 5 year.  Pretty blue color.  WM exclusive dyson.  I hear they have lots, so you may want to wait awhile and see if WM ups the ante.  Say a $100 Gift card.  Did I mention that WM stock is up over 22 percent this year.  At $58 a share.  If it throws in some stock shares, I might even buy another dyson and gift it away to my worse enemy!  I know what you are thinking HS.  No such luck.  It's not you!

Carmine D.

I never said that I was not a fan of Wal Mart.  I only said that they do not sell high end products.  I buy at Wal Mart unless I want better quality.   Also, Wal Mart is not always the lowest price, especially in their groceries and meats. 

I do not like gift cards.  Just give me the discount on the item that I am purchasing.  I prefer the Yellow to the blue color.

My opinion of Wal Marts success is the convenience of their stores.   Not many Sears or K Marts available except in major metro areas or malls.  No Montgomery Wards of other stores that preceded Wal Mart.  Wal Mart will be like Circuit City in the future.  No company reins forever.

This message was modified May 2, 2008 by HARDSELL
Motorhead

Reply #18   May 3, 2008 1:11 am
I am in total agreement with Vacuuman and Lucky1.  The Simplicity and Riccar lightweights are good performers that put out a decent amount of airflow (unlike the Oreck), and if we want to take this into consideration, earned good scores the last time they were tested in CR. 

I would also consider the TTI-made lightweight uprights such as the Lux Lite, Royal, and Hoover Clean & Light.  Both these and the Riccar/Simplicity are great examples that a machine can be both lightweight and a REAL vacuum cleaner at the same time instead of a glorified electric broom. 

-MH
CarmineD

Reply #19   May 3, 2008 7:40 am
Motorhead wrote:

a machine can be both lightweight and a REAL vacuum cleaner at the same time instead of a glorified electric broom. 

-MH

I would advise giving the dyson DC07 at WM a shot for $270.  It can always be returned if it doesn't perform. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #20   May 3, 2008 8:30 am
CarmineD wrote:
I would advise giving the dyson DC07 at WM a shot for $270.  It can always be returned if it doesn't perform. 

Carmine D.

Carmine,

Did you skip your medication.  I can't believe that you would talk such trash.

CarmineD

Reply #21   May 3, 2008 8:38 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Carmine,

Did you skip your medication.  I can't believe that you would talk such trash.

No, I've had my coffee today!

Carmine D.

Lucky1

Reply #22   May 3, 2008 2:13 pm
Uh-Uh the TTI's and Dyson are made in the orient and don't fit the requirements (#3) and as far as the Dyson (#3 & #2)...of the Original Post!!!!!
CarmineD

Reply #23   May 3, 2008 2:28 pm
Lucky1 wrote:
Uh-Uh the TTI's and Dyson are made in the orient and don't fit the requirements (#3) and as far as the Dyson (#3 & #2)...of the Original Post!!!!!

Lucky1:

Agree wholeheartedly.  Wasn't sure if the poster knew dysons were made in Malaysia.  Does now.  Most don't realize they are all made in Chinaville now.  They are lead to believe from the TV ads by Mr. Dyson that they are made in the UK.  I think all ads whether TV/news print should clearly indicate the product's place of production.  I doubt it will come to be. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 3, 2008 by CarmineD
Replies: 14 - 23 of 131Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42