Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Help choosing a new vacuum cleaner :)

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
scathontiphat

Help choosing a new vacuum cleaner :)
Original Message   Apr 29, 2008 5:30 pm
Hello,

I'll be honest, I know nothing about vacuum cleaners except that I need one. I have 4 criteria for selection:
1) Works well
2) built well/will last me a long long time (serviceable)
3) Made in US, Japan, or Western Europe
4) Hopefully no more than $350

I think Oreck may end up being my choice since it's made in the US and I haven't found any others that aren't manufactured in south east Asia. But that's why I'm here! To tap into your brains :)
Replies: 4 - 13 of 131Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Help choosing a new vacuum cleaner :)
Reply #4   Apr 30, 2008 7:59 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Carmine uses a different vacuum each day.  He has no idea which if any is doing a good job.  If you have delicate carpet get the Oreck.  They do not have enough suction to pull the knap into the brush.

The Oreck XL DeLuxe upright is now my daily user for both floors and carpet cleaning.  It has been for a number of months.  My carpet is medium pile looped wool Mohawk in 2 bedrooms and the study.  The remaining floor covering is ceramic tile and area and throw rugs.  I have an English lab that sheds year round and two grand daughters pre-school age who visit almost daily.  I supplement the Oreck with a compact HOOVER Canister for above the floor cleaning [also reviewed on this site].

The HOOVER WT Supreme [reviewed on this site too], which will be 2 years old in August 2008 and still going strong, is the only other household upright in my home [right now]and is a few days shy of a donation to a local Church parish Office.  

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 30, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #5   Apr 30, 2008 9:27 pm
CarmineD wrote:
The Oreck XL DeLuxe upright is now my daily user for both floors and carpet cleaning.  It has been for a number of months.  My carpet is medium pile looped wool Mohawk in 2 bedrooms and the study.  The remaining floor covering is ceramic tile and area and throw rugs.  I have an English lab that sheds year round and two grand daughters pre-school age who visit almost daily.  I supplement the Oreck with a compact HOOVER Canister for above the floor cleaning [also reviewed on this site].

The HOOVER WT Supreme [reviewed on this site too], which will be 2 years old in August 2008 and still going strong, is the only other household upright in my home [right now]and is a few days shy of a donation to a local Church parish Office.  

Carmine D.

Wise choice to gift the Hoover.  Now if you could only find someone who would take the Oreck you could buy a good vac.  Starts with D.
Vacuuman

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Reply #6   May 1, 2008 1:29 am
Back to the starter's question, based on my personal and professional experience I agree with Lucky completely.  I personally use a Riccar (same as Simplicity) and Miele to vacuum my house and know that they perform well, live up to their claims, and not fall apart on me.  Look around at the vac shops near you and take a look at these brands, I think you will be impressed.
CarmineD

Reply #7   May 1, 2008 7:31 am
Vacuuman wrote:
Back to the starter's question, based on my personal and professional experience I agree with Lucky completely.  I personally use a Riccar (same as Simplicity) and Miele to vacuum my house and know that they perform well, live up to their claims, and not fall apart on me.  Look around at the vac shops near you and take a look at these brands, I think you will be impressed.

These brands and their models are also reviewed on this Web page under the header tab: Reviews.  And I suggest that the poster/questioner read them also.

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #8   May 1, 2008 7:34 am
Heres my opinion ,but what do i know.
1 Rebuilt electrolux, metal or lexan body both will last you 40 plus years,with 1 or 2 strong tune ups every 10 to 15 years,[there are some very good recon guys out there and they warranty their machines as good as a new one.

2 bosch formula , very strong contender, miele such as the ones vacuuman,and lucky like,

3 KIRBYS. any genertion series done correctly,i would recommend dealing with people that understand these machines.

4 oreck stay at the classic series,very good customer care

5 panasonic uprights or canisters,very nice value for the money,parts are are getting tough though.

6 pawn shops, sometimes get new stuff for almost nothing,

7 hire a cleaning service...............

regards

THE-MOLE
CarmineD

Reply #9   May 1, 2008 7:38 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Wise choice to gift the Hoover.  Now if you could only find someone who would take the Oreck you could buy a good vac.  Starts with D.

HS:

I will have no difficulty gifting/reselling my Oreck Classic XL at some future time.  I am confident it will provide the same worthy service with minimal user attention, save belt and bag changes every several months.  Both tasks the user can do in a few minutes.

I'm currently looking for another comparable lightweight to replace it, perhaps an Oreck upgrade and/or a SIMPLICITY/RICCAR.  I thought the dyson DC24/25 were contenders until I saw and used them.  I have ruled them out at this point [and so has my dear Wife].  She loves the Oreck. 

BTW, have you purchased a new dyson or are you using the Dirt Devil/Royal Eminence?  

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 1, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #10   May 1, 2008 7:59 am
CarmineD wrote:
HS:

I will have no difficulty gifting/reselling my Oreck Classic XL at some future time.  I am confident it will provide the same worthy service with minimal user attention, save belt and bag changes every several months.

I'm currently looking for another comparable lightweight to replace it, perhaps an Oreck upgrade and/or a SIMPLICITY/RICCAR.  I thought the dyson DC24/25 were contenders until I saw and used them.  I have ruled them out at this point [and so has my dear Wife].  She loves the Oreck. 

BTW, have you purchased a new dyson or are you using the Dirt Devil/Royal Eminence?

Carmine D.

Morning Carmine,

I still use the Royal and Kirby.  The weather is nice in TN.  Too much golf to play vs playing with vacs.  I doubt that I will buy a new Dyson as I really only like the DC7. I admit that I have no experience with any of the $#%* and I may try one later.

CarmineD

Reply #11   May 1, 2008 8:07 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Morning Carmine,

I still use the Royal and Kirby.  The weather is nice in TN.  Too much golf to play vs playing with vacs.  I doubt that I will buy a new Dyson as I really only like the DC7. I admit that I have no experience with any of the $#%* and I may try one later.

We have a beautiful 18 hole golf course on the grounds of our housing community.  But I'm too young to play golf.  Maybe when I'm older.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #12   May 1, 2008 9:27 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Morning Carmine,

I suppose b a l l is a dirty word
CarmineD

Reply #13   May 1, 2008 12:15 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
I suppose b a l l is a dirty word

It is to me when used in union with golf!  A sport for old people.

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 1, 2008 by CarmineD
Replies: 4 - 13 of 131Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42