Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Help choosing a new vacuum cleaner :)

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
scathontiphat

Help choosing a new vacuum cleaner :)
Original Message   Apr 29, 2008 5:30 pm
Hello,

I'll be honest, I know nothing about vacuum cleaners except that I need one. I have 4 criteria for selection:
1) Works well
2) built well/will last me a long long time (serviceable)
3) Made in US, Japan, or Western Europe
4) Hopefully no more than $350

I think Oreck may end up being my choice since it's made in the US and I haven't found any others that aren't manufactured in south east Asia. But that's why I'm here! To tap into your brains :)
Replies: 24 - 33 of 131Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
HARDSELL

Re: Help choosing a new vacuum cleaner :)
Reply #24   May 3, 2008 6:46 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Lucky1:

Agree wholeheartedly.  Wasn't sure if the poster knew dysons were made in Malaysia.  Does now.  Most don't realize they are all made in Chinaville now.  They are lead to believe from the TV ads by Mr. Dyson that they are made in the UK.  I think all ads whether TV/news print should clearly indicate the product's place of production.  I doubt it will come to be. 

Carmine D.

Wheere is Hoover and Bissell made?
CarmineD

Reply #25   May 3, 2008 9:49 pm
Hello HS:

Chinaville just like all the other big box store vacuums.  It's all slave labor without the guilt.  Dyson has jumped on the big box discount band wagon as pointed out on many threads on this site.  Dyson vacuums have to compete with the other Chinaville made vacuums by advertising and selling below MAP and in concert with Giftcards and store cash dollars returned.  Case in point:  The DC18 sells for $300-$369 at regular store prices.  Well below its MSRP of $469 and MAP.  The DC17 for $400, well below its $549 MSRP and MAP.  The DC07 for $319 well below its $378 MSRP and MAP at Wal*Mart which has the exclusive dyson Original model.  No other retailer sells that model.

I recall several years ago, Wal*Mart rolled back the price on the dyson exclusive All Carpet DC07 from $359 to $309 and it caused a bruhaha which resulted in a dyson hiatus at the WM stores for almost 2 years.  Not so now.  Dyson needs WM and other big box retailers to push its vacuum products. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 3, 2008 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #26   May 4, 2008 3:44 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Lucky1:

Agree wholeheartedly.  Wasn't sure if the poster knew dysons were made in Malaysia.  Does now.  Most don't realize they are all made in Chinaville now.  They are lead to believe from the TV ads by Mr. Dyson that they are made in the UK.  I think all ads whether TV/news print should clearly indicate the product's place of production.  I doubt it will come to be. 

Carmine D.

Carmine,

Which tv ad/s is James misleading folks?        DIB 

CarmineD

Reply #27   May 4, 2008 6:19 pm
Hello DIB:

I didn't say misleading.  I said "lead to believe."  Why?  The English accent! 

Since you asked:  I have mentioned that until recently if you asked sales staff at the big box retailers what is the country of production for dysons, most would say England/UK.  Why?  Because of James Dyson anf thre home grown and sold dyson vacuums before exports started in 2002.  Now more and more know Chinaville.

Also, if you note the dyson cartons, the only place that mentions made in malaysia is the tiny little serial number sticker tag on the box.  The lettering for the made in statement is the smallest leaglly allowed by Federal law.  Most people can't read it without a magnifying glass.  Take a look and see for yourself.

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 4, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #28   May 4, 2008 7:48 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello DIB:

I didn't say misleading.  I said "lead to believe."  Why?  The English accent! 

Carmine D.

What is the difference besides the wording?
CarmineD

Reply #29   May 5, 2008 7:27 am
HARDSELL wrote:
What is the difference besides the wording?

The difference is the intent in the mind of Mr. Dyson: Willful or unintentional.  I was giving him the benefit of the doubt, since I've not yet mastered the art of reading minds.  However, there is no doubt about the size of the print on the carton sticker. 

Carmine D.

christine

Reply #30   May 5, 2008 9:26 am
I'm joining this discussion because I too would like advice on a new vacuum. I've read all the posts in this thread and some of the others. There's so much knowledge here!
The discussion that drew me to the site was the one about the Shopvac EasyLift. My husband called me from Lowes yesterday wondering if he should buy one, and after reading the responses on that thread I called him back saying "NO!"

The reason the Shopvac momentarily appealed was its light weight. Oreck seems very expensive (and has mixed reviews on this site).

I have lots of joint aches etc and the vacuum has to be carried upstairs etc: it must be as light as possible.
Plus we have allergies so need a good filter.

We currently have a Dirt Devil bagless, not heavy, but it has other problems: it's hard to open it to empty the dirt out. The dirt sticks to the filter in a horrible way. While you're vacuuming, there's a fan that blows all the dirt around in front of the vacuum, and away from it! The vacuum is very noisy. And now the rotating brush thing underneath doesn't rotate.

Experience with emptying this vacuum makes me feel like going back to bags. I see the bagged Hoover Clean and Light has been recommended above.

We used to have more wall-to-wall carpet but now have mostly wood floors and about 6/7 area rugs. I see the miele antares has been recommended for such a situation.

Some of the rugs are oriental; I've seen Oreck recommended for those (does it have less suction?!).

I'm far from fastidious; won't admit here how often (or not!) I vacuum; just want a lightweight easy-to-use vacuum that works on bare floors and area rugs, and (preferably) has a couple of easy-to-use attachments for corners, furniture etc.

I haven't really liked using a canister in the past because you have to carry or drag the canister while also holding the hose...but now most of our floors are wood, perhaps a canister would be better?

As you can see, I am confused by the plethora of information! And I've been disappointed with many vacuums in the past.

Ok, I guess my questions are as follows:

1) Is canister vs/upright simply a question of personal preference in the end?
2) I know there's controversy on this site re Dyson; but what about the new Dyson lightweight? (can't recall model number.)
3) bagless vs bags: i hated the difficulty of emptying my dirt devil and the way you have to bang the central filter against something to get the dirt off. Dyson claims emptying its vacuums is easy, is this true? Are there any other bagless that are easy to empty? Buying bags is a hassle, of course.
4)the Hoover canister 51361 has been recommended here as lightweight (tho has bags), any other feedback on this canister?

Hoping for guidance!
Christine.
CarmineD

Reply #31   May 5, 2008 1:27 pm
Cristine:

Many of the vacuums mentioned will perform well.  Oreck included.  Oreck offers something that no other vacuum brand does:  Free in home trial for 30 days with no obligation.  If you decide you don't like it for any reason, you return it at Oreck's expense.  Now, think for a moment.  If the Oreck vacuum were as bad as some say, would Oreck make and stick to that promise [for over 45 years]?  Right: No. 

It will serve your purposes well.  If you shop wisely you can snag a new one for $300 [XL Classic Deluxe] or less and a used one even cheaper.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #32   May 5, 2008 2:15 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Cristine:

Many of the vacuums mentioned will perform well.  Oreck included.  Oreck offers something that no other vacuum brand does:  Free in home trial for 30 days with no obligation.  If you decide you don't like it for any reason, you return it at Oreck's expense.  Now, think for a moment.  If the Oreck vacuum were as bad as some say, would Oreck make and stick to that promise [for over 45 years]?  Right: No. 

It will serve your purposes well.  If you shop wisely you can snag a new one for $300 [XL Classic Deluxe] or less and a used one even cheaper.

Carmine D.

Christine.

Most big box stores offer 30 money back guarantee (same as Oreck).  Carmine sometimes is misleading in pushing his preferred brand.  Not unusual for a current or past sales person.   Most of the vacs that the big box stores sell are heavier than the Oreck but in my experience they clean much better than Oreck.

I admit to liking Dyson because they vacuum so well.  Dyson is the only upright that I have used that does not blow dust and dirt away from the vacuum on hard floor surfaces.  If you visit an Oreck store for their demo take a bag of fine dust and lint.  You could take a box  of baking soda if dust is not available.  Ask them to vacuum it on a hard floor surface.  The cerial and heavier objects that they use are heavier and do not blow around so much. 

CarmineD

Reply #33   May 5, 2008 5:47 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
Christine.

Most big box stores offer 30 money back guarantee (same as Oreck).  Carmine sometimes is misleading in pushing his preferred brand.  Not unusual for a current or past sales person.   Most of the vacs that the big box stores sell are heavier than the Oreck but in my experience they clean much better than Oreck.

HS:

After being used and without the box?  Most big box retailers have made returns/refunds much more difficult over the last year.  Only COSTCO, to my knowledge, still has a liberal return/refund policy, probably due in large part to the annual income of their members: About $60,000.

You may have missed a post recently here where a customer tried to return a new dyson to Sam's Club under warranty that burned out after several weeks of use.  Sam's Club refused to accept it telling the buyer to send it back to dyson under warranty.  This is not uncommon now for big box retailers who have taken huge losses year after year by accepting returns/refunds on high priced vacuums.  Why?  They can't resell these returns for new.  Instead, they have to mark them down until sold, most times with the caveat "as is" and without the manufacturers' full warranty.

I own and use an Oreck XL Classic Deluxe.  I also own and use other vacuums.  Including at one time a dyson DC07 pink.  I would recommend the Oreck upright to all persons interested in a lightweight vacuum that performs on rugs and floors just like a full size vacuum. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 5, 2008 by CarmineD
Replies: 24 - 33 of 131Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42