Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Consumer Reports - March 2008

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Consumer Reports - March 2008
Original Message   Jan 31, 2008 6:47 pm
Some observations -

• Oreck is conspicuously missing from the upright ratings.
  • Panasonic has a new AeroBlast for $700 is a apparently a poor copy of a Dyson that burps loudly when it reverses the air flow to clean the filter.   Why would anyone pay so much for a Dyson copy, particularly when the filter clogs with fine dust?
  • Hoover's fall from grace is noted, presumably due to their ill conceived bagless vacuums.  Hoover now has the worst reliability of the uprights.  Dyson is second only to Kirby in the reliability rankings.   
  • For uprights, Kenmore takes the top 2 spots (bagged and bagless), followed by the Riccar SupraLite RSL3, the Electrolux Oxygen EL5035A, and the Kirby Sentria.  
  • The Halo is #33 on the list for uprights. 
  • The $60 Hoover Tempo Widepath has a better tool airflow score than the Dyson DC17 as well as better carpet cleaning scores. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 113 - 122 of 216Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Re: Consumer Reports - March 2008
Reply #113   Feb 25, 2008 1:51 pm
MrApollinax wrote:
Hi all. Just thought I'd throw this out there. I went to Target this past weekend and there is a new Hoover sitting on the shelf for $199.99. It is called "Windtunnel + Cyclonic" which looks exactly like the Mach 5 but, as the name suggests, it has the windtunnel feature now.

This is not real new, because it has been at other retailers for a while now.  Best Buy was the first big box, I believe.

This message was modified Feb 25, 2008 by Mike_W
MrApollinax

Reply #114   Feb 25, 2008 5:42 pm
I had figured that it wasn't very new. I had posted it to add on to Carmine's post of Hoover adding onto the line of vacs he was talking about: Fusion --> Mach --> WT + Cyclonic.
DysonInventsBig

Reply #115   Feb 25, 2008 7:38 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
...I simply tire of reading all the negativity and lies about Dyson. 

Thank you.  DIB

CarmineD

Reply #116   Feb 25, 2008 7:45 pm
HOME DEPOT had a deal with Maytag/HOOVER

for an exclusive Fusion model called the

Legacy.  Ironically, as much negative commentary

that the FUSION and Legacy bagless uprights

received from bagless vacuum experts and by Consumer

Reports, the sales were always off the charts.

People liked the price and performance.  Two more HOOVER

upright bagless models which were kow towed by the experts

are the HOOVER EmPower and Elite Rewind.  The former

has been a staple among vacuum sales by many retailers

since 2002.  The latter which started out in BEST BUY has made

the rounds to most retailers too.  And now bears the Legacy

name at HOME DEPOT. 

BTW, I gifted a new HOOVER Elite Rewind which I purchased

at COSTCO for $89 as a Christmas gift to a newlywed couple

in Utah.  They love it.  The COSTCO store staff in N. Las Vegas

tell me it has been a huge selling success.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #117   Feb 25, 2008 7:55 pm
While much is written about the HOOVER Tempo

as a stand out performer for the price, the HOOVER EmPower

Consumer Report ratings are never mentioned.

Selling between $59 and $100, the EmPower came in 14th

overall in March 2008.  Handily [read by large margins] beating out among

others: dyson DC14, DC07, DC15, and DC18.  Vacuums costing

a whole lot more than the EmPower.

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #118   Feb 25, 2008 9:16 pm
CarmineD wrote:
 Handily [read by large margins] beating out among

others: dyson DC14, DC07, DC15, and DC18.  Vacuums costing

a whole lot more than the EmPower.

Carmine D.

Why not name them all?   We all know that Dyson is struck in your throat.  Whatever they did to you, get over it. Life must be miserable for you because you never got to sell the best.

BTW,  thanks for making Dyson the standard to beat.

CR has a tendency to place price above performance.  Any intelligent person knows that value for the price does not mean best performance.  If I need to remind you the Taurus would be the best auto in the world using your and CR's thinking.

This message was modified Feb 25, 2008 by HARDSELL
CarmineD

Reply #119   Feb 26, 2008 7:12 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Why not name them all?   We all know that Dyson is struck in your throat.  Whatever they did to you, get over it. Life must be miserable for you because you never got to sell the best.

CR has a tendency to place price above performance.  Any intelligent person knows that value for the price does not mean best performance.  If I need to remind you the Taurus would be the best auto in the world using your and CR's thinking.

Hello My Good Friend:

Too many to name and since dyson gets all the attention here on most threads I like to use it as a comparison.  Especially when discussing less expensive and more affordable big box retailer vacuums that compete well against dyson.   One such brand to mention that has florished as a result of the launch of dyson is BISSELL.  As a bagged vacuum maker, it had a long history of very non-descript sales bested by Dirt Devil, Shark, and other budget brands.  And was even considered unworthy by comparison.  No more.

With the bagless fad and trend among budget conscious vacuum buyers [read big box retail customers] BISSELL has seen an upsurge in recent years in sales and user popularity.  Certainly a staple among all the big box retailers.  Why?  Price and performance.  BISSELL provides both which appeal to the vacuum buying consumers in the USA who shop the big box retailers for their floorcare needs.  BISSELL fares very well in the Consumer Reports ratings and rankings too.  At the expense of dyson, unfortunately which is your favorite brand of vacuum.

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #120   Feb 26, 2008 9:19 am
HARDSELL wrote:
This is my original post :

We know that independents can't survive on sales alone and you want us to believe that ALL BUT DYSON are rarely repaired.  Again I ask. 

How have so many independents survived without repairing Dysons?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not in the vacuum business so I can't answer your question.  I have no concern with the business end.  I simply tire of reading all the negativity and lies about Dyson. 

So if your not in the vacuum business,like DIB,MOTORHEAD, why should anyone listen to you about the business,that you know nothing about.

Do you work for dysons marketing department? And if you do i feel bad for you...............

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #121   Feb 26, 2008 9:28 am
HARDSELL wrote:

CR has a tendency to place price above performance.  Any intelligent person knows that value for the price does not mean best performance.  

Hello Good Friend:

Thought you might like to read what consumers think about the HOOVER EmPower.  Many of the other retailers' reviews are very similar.  Pretty good for a $89 performer that's been around for as long as your beloved dyson.

http://www.epinions.com/pr-Hoover_U5262-900_Upright_Vacuum/display_~reviews

Carmine D.

Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #122   Feb 26, 2008 10:42 am
HARDSELL wrote:

Hardsell,

Could you elaborate on your comment that "CR has a tendency to place price above performance?"  I believe your comment is somewhat misleading.   I believe that CR is very careful to keep price out of the testing.  It is only in the commentary that CR mentions whether performance in their tests is in any way related to price. 

That said, there are limits to what is tested by CR.  They don't evaluate, for example, the quantity, quality, or usefulness of attachments.  They don't evaluate how easy/messy it is to empty the dirt container on bagless vacs.   They don't evaluate design features, with the exception of commenting on those that are absolutely terrible.  Eureka does not get any extra credit for the feather duster in its spin away vacuum.  Kirby doesn't get any credit for the shampooer and knife sharpening attachments.  Rainbow gets no credit for use as a mop, carpet cleaner, or air cleaner.   CR does not comment on the design of brush rolls.   CR does not comment on how nice the vacuum looks on display in your living room either.  CR does not test on every possible carpet type.

While you are correct that CR does not take into account every possible feature that might be important to individual users, the test results are valid and repeatable, and do not in any way take price into account. 
This message was modified Feb 27, 2008 by Severus

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 113 - 122 of 216Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42