Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Looking for a tile floor steam cleaner

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
rjg2

Looking for a tile floor steam cleaner
Original Message   Feb 24, 2008 9:57 am
Hello all,

I know this is a vac forum but does anyone recommend a good floor steamer?  I once borrowed a Eureka 300A upright steamer and enjoyed using it.  Thanks for the help!
Replies: 1 - 34 of 34View as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Looking for a tile floor steam cleaner
Reply #1   Feb 24, 2008 4:35 pm
HOOVER Floormate.  Steam cleaners are discouraged on some tile floors because they are too harsh on the cement and sealers used to install.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #2   Feb 24, 2008 5:45 pm
Hi rjg2,

I  have to take the other side of the fence here.  I have owned the FloorMate but now own a Euro-Pro steam cleaner.  Indeed a steam cleaner does use steam vapor that is output usually at around 220 degrees farenheit or higher instead of directly applying solution as the FloorMate does.  Depsite the high heat of the steam dispersed, this should not prove a problem as of course you won't be letting the device just sit in one spot for more than a few seconds.  A good machine should allow you to adjust the steam flow to an amount suitable for the job you're doing thus cleaning with steam vapor should not prove a detriment when cleaning properly installed flooring.  Such devices may even be used on sealed wood flooring. Damage possibilities only rise with the lack of common sense same as it would with any other appliance.

Best of all, there is no measuring or mixing of cleaning solutions.  You simply add the required amount of plain water and let the machine heat up. Heating time varies brand to brand.  Also, it being that no detergent is called for you may save some money.  Clean-up up is merely a matter of emptying your steam mop or cleaner of unused water after has cooled down (this should be done after every use) and putting used special absorbent cleaning cloths or bonnets in the wash. 

Performance wise, I feel my steam cleaner runs rings around the FloorMate I had.  For difficult problems that my FloorMate couldn't fix either, I just drop a nylon scrubbing pad on the floor, place the nozzle on it to get rid of heel marks on vinyl tile.   Flooring dries faster and without having to switch back and forth to apply or suck up standing cleaning solution.  I will note here the one advantage of the FloorMate over a steam mop -- it can be used to suck up spills.  Nonetheless, in average cleaning situations a steam cleaner is a pretty good deal.

What you're interested in is the steam mop, an upright steam vapor device meant for floor cleaning only.  I've attached a link to epinions.com to where you may get an idea of devices currently available plus user opinions.

http://www.epinions.com/search/?submitted_form=searchbar&search_vertical=all&tax_name=&search_string=steam+mop

My only other suggestions are that you sweep or vacuum well before use and also purchase extra special cloths or bonnets so that you're assured of having fresh one's on hand use to use. The FlooraMate also allows use as a vacuum cleaner but the filter in the dust/solution tank can clog quickly.  You will have to be sure that it is perfectly clean after vacuuming as suction for solution pick up may be affected when you get to floor washing.

http://www.hoover.com/pdfs/manuals/H3030.pdf

Good luck,

Venson

Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #3   Feb 25, 2008 1:46 pm
I know of the Eureka that you are referring to.

I would suggest that you purchase a cleaner like the Bissell Steam Mop.  It will clean well for you.  Also, the company can be contacted easier than some of these other markers of vapor steam cleaners.

If you have very large areas to clean or want to clean more than floors, I would suggest that you purchase a canister-type vapor steam cleaner.  You will get more use from them, plus they will hold more water.

Tip:  If you are using water w/alot of minerals, I would suggest using distilled water.  Or, use distilled water half the time.  This will prolong mineral build-up.

The drawback of these floor steamers is that they do not get up to the baseboards or in small spaces.  I have found good results w/using a good string-type mophead.  The positive side of a floor steamer is that people sensitive to chemicals have something to use that will not hurt them.
CarmineD

Reply #4   May 2, 2009 8:01 am
An update on my soon to be 4 year old HOOVER Floormate Spin and Scrub 801.  Originally purchased on the Memorial Day Weekend in 2005 for about $160.  With the additional attachments and two brush types with 7 circular brushes each. 

This Floormate has received double duty for the last  2 and 3/4 years cleaning both my daughter's home and mine.  We both have large dogs [labs] and she has 3 daughters.  Plus lots of sand from the desert landscapes in both houses.

The Floormate is used every 2-3 weeks in both homes.  Strictly with warm tap water.  And primarily on smooth and sculptured cramic tile floors. 

The only draw back is the dry clean feature.  Works well....but I've noticed after using the ORECK upright that I find little to no dog hair in the HOOVER Floormate dirty water bin and filter.  With the HOOVER Floormate, there is much more dog hair missed in the dry clean vacuum mode. 

All in all, the HOOVER Floormate, now an old model, is as good now as new and it appears to have alot of useful life still left despite the double duty.  The floors never fail to get "oohs" and "aahs" from guests and visitors after using the Floormate.  Best of all, my 2 and 4 legged spectators and helpers can walk on the floors soon after the wet pick up mode without leaving any tell tale footprints.  Keeps all the family members happy.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #5   May 2, 2009 1:07 pm
Hi Carmine,

It's amazing that the subject should come up. I'm having at my oven today with my steam cleaner.

Glad to hear your FloorMate is still doing well. A nice price now is about $190.00. Do you use the attachments?

Best,

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #6   May 2, 2009 1:47 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

It's amazing that the subject should come up. I'm having at my oven today with my steam cleaner.

Glad to hear your FloorMate is still doing well. A nice price now is about $190.00. Do you use the attachments?

Best,

Venson

Hi Venson:

Way to go on the steam cleaned oven.  The only cleaning our oven gets is an occasional dusting from lack of use!  These Las Vegas restaurants and buffets are too good to pass up at every opportunity. 

I used the FM attachments ONCE when it was new.... just to test them out.  They worked well....but, they are stored in my garage in brand new like-condition from lack of use.  If our homes were older, perhaps they would be more useful.  But in their new condition, just don't have a need for them YET! 

Carmine D.

Acerone

Reply #7   May 2, 2009 6:21 pm
I have the Bissell Steam Mop and highly recommend it....

Venson

Reply #8   May 2, 2009 6:54 pm
Acerone wrote:

Hi Acerone,

Are you noticing an appreciable saving on all the "floor potions" you don't have to buy any longer?

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #9   May 2, 2009 7:01 pm
Acerone wrote:

Hello Acerone:

BISSELL sells several excellent products that are very affordable.  As I recall, and posted on one of the thrreads here, the BISSELL Steam Mop recently got the best in class from the Consumer Editor of the Wall Street Journal for floor cleaning.

Carmine D.

Acerone

Reply #10   May 2, 2009 7:11 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Acerone,<BR><BR>Are you noticing an appreciable saving on all the &quot;floor potions&quot; you don't have to buy any longer?<BR><BR>Venson

Correct, I no longer have to use any floor care products.. Only water that converts to steam and it cleans deep down and my floors are supper clean....

And I owned mine about a year now and here's a post I did and a lot of people bought one.

Click
Acerone

Reply #11   May 2, 2009 7:12 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Acerone:</p><p>BISSELL sells several excellent products that are very affordable.  As I recall, and posted on one of the thrreads here, the BISSELL Steam Mop recently got the best in class from the Consumer Editor of the Wall Street Journal for floor cleaning.</p><p>Carmine D.

That's good to hear Carmine...
CarmineD

Reply #12   May 3, 2009 2:24 pm
Acerone wrote:
Correct, I no longer have to use any floor care products.. Only water that converts to steam and it cleans deep down and my floors are supper clean....

And I owned mine about a year now and here's a post I did and a lot of people bought one.

Click

Acerone:  Good and productive exchange.  I just might have to buy one and try it out for myself.

Carmine D.

Just

Reply #13   May 4, 2009 9:55 am
I have the Eureka steam mop and like it very much.  One of the things I will say against it is you have to use their mop pads whereas some of the others you can use a folded towel or microfiber cloth.  A word about the pads, they are machine washable, but don't put them in the dryer they will shrink.  Also don't use fabric softner in the load you wash your floor pads in as the softner will hinder absorbtion and will leave streaks.   However, with those pads you get a lot of cleaning.  I could clean the entire kitchen and bath with little difficulty.  Now since I have moved  my bathroom is the only room that isn't carpeted so even though I only use the steam mop once a week or so, it's still worth the three minutes warm up time as it really cuts the stuff on the floor, and I have some assurance that it is disinfected.

I have  a co-worker that has the Shark steam mop and she really likes it as well.  Again you have to use their pads, but she loves it.

CarmineD

Reply #14   May 21, 2009 5:21 pm
So new for 2009 its still not on the ORECK Web Site.  The ORECK Steam It!  Heats in under 30 seconds.  Steam clean windows.  Clean any hard surface.  Target tough upholstery stains.  6 piece attachment kit.  $169  Can use upside down without spillage. 

Carmine D.

Simonette

Reply #15   Sep 19, 2009 4:46 am
Has anyone used the Oreck Steam-It on tile floors? I am unable to find any reviews. I have the Hoover Floormate. 90% of my home is dark grey tile. Unless I immediately dry the floor with towels, they are streaked. Help!
CarmineD

Reply #16   Sep 19, 2009 7:07 am
Hello Simonette:

I have 70 percent Mohawk ceramic tile floors and use the HOOVER Floormate for cleaning and drying.  Works very well.  I'm in the market for the ORECK Steam-It but not for the ceramic floors.  Steam heat is not recommended on these floors.  The HOOVER FM, without the liquid cleaning solutions, is.  I have found that the HOOVER FM leaves my floors almost completely dry after using the dirty water pick up mode.  And a good thing.  I have a lab that likes to help with the job and walks over the floor as soon as I clean an area.   The lab and the 3 grand daughters are the main reasons for the FM.  So far so good.  Over 3 years of use with the HOOVER FM and still going strong.  One difference is that I use an ORECK XL upright to completely vacuum the tile floors before using the FM.  I found using the dry vacuum mode of the FM is not as good as the ORECK.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #17   Sep 19, 2009 2:38 pm
Simonette wrote:
Has anyone used the Oreck Steam-It on tile floors? I am unable to find any reviews. I have the Hoover Floormate. 90% of my home is dark grey tile. Unless I immediately dry the floor with towels, they are streaked. Help!

Hi Simonette,

A good steam cleaner should do a fine job on tile. Floors with well-sealed grout should be easy to care for. Vacuum thoroughly before cleaning (fill and allow your steam cleaner to heat while your sweeping). Ceramic tile wiht properly sealed grout is generally tough but use your device's brush or only a non-metallic scouring pad or very mild cleanser to get up hard to rout scuff marks.

Please note a good steam cleaner only produces steam when triggered and its steam rate is adjustable.

Following is a link to Oreck's user guide page. Look for and click on "Steamer 100":

http://www.oreck.com/customer-service/owners-guides.cfm#

Venson
Venson

Reply #18   Sep 19, 2009 2:54 pm
Hi again Simonette,

Here is a URL for a PDF of the less expensive Bissell Steam Mop's user guide. Click on the link at teh right side of the page:

http://www.bissell.com/Products/c/bare+floor+solutions/p/1867-7/product.aspx

Best,

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #19   Sep 19, 2009 3:09 pm
Hello Venson, Simonette:

Before moving into our new home, my son-in-law was gracious enough to seal the ceramic tile flooring [we were out-of state].  It's a one time occurence.  Unlike the granite counters which require sealing yearly with a liquid especially for the purpose.

Converstions with the contractor who installed the Mohawk floor advised against steam and cleaning solvents, recommending instead just likewarm tap water.  I've followed his advice and so far so good.  Tho, I note that some homeowners have had somee issues with cracks developing in the grout and tile. 

Question: Do you think the floor contractor was being overly cautious with his advice and my ceramic tile floor? 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #20   Sep 19, 2009 3:30 pm
CarmineD wrote:
. . . Question: Do you think the floor contractor was being overly cautious with his advice and my ceramic tile floor?

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

Definitely yes, as I have a strong feeling the contractor spends more time building than cleaning. As well, though long in use in Europe, steam cleaners and the way they work are not well-known here despite the sudden burst of advertising. The following URL is for ceramic tile dos and don'ts and no caveats for steam cleaners are offered.

http://www.mohawkflooring.com/ceramic-tile/care/dosanddonts.aspx

The next is part also about tile care but note that there is mention of semi-annual treatment of grout:

http://www.mohawkflooring.com/ceramic-tile/care/default.aspx

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #21   Sep 19, 2009 5:33 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

Definitely yes, as I have a strong feeling the contractor spends more time building than cleaning. As well, though long in use in Europe, steam cleaners and the way they work are not well-known here despite the sudden burst of advertising. The following URL is for ceramic tile dos and don'ts and no caveats for steam cleaners are offered.

http://www.mohawkflooring.com/ceramic-tile/care/dosanddonts.aspx

The next is part also about tile care but note that there is mention of semi-annual treatment of grout:

http://www.mohawkflooring.com/ceramic-tile/care/default.aspx

Venson

Thanks Venson.  Looks like I have some additional work to do every 6 months not to mention my new steam cleaner, whatever it ends up to be, is going to get more than the workout I thought.  Who said retirement is the life of Riley?

Carmine D.

Simonette

Reply #22   Sep 20, 2009 6:15 am
Thank you, Carmine and Venson. I appreciate the great information. It appears I have more work to do!
Simonette

Reply #23   Sep 20, 2009 7:03 am
Sorry, it's me...again. Most of the steam cleaners I have researched have the watts indicated in the specs. The Oreck gives water pressure PSI. Is one more important than the other?
Venson

Reply #24   Sep 20, 2009 12:09 pm
Simonette wrote:
Sorry, it's me...again. Most of the steam cleaners I have researched have the watts indicated in the specs. The Oreck gives water pressure PSI. Is one more important than the other?

PSI has to do with steam output. Wattage ratings concern electrical draw. A steam cleaner with high output may do better at really grungy work but as well may be overkill if all you need it for is regular duty on floors.

The numbers game should be about how long the machine takes to heat the water it holds, how much water for steaming it will contain, how long it will produce steam and warranty time.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #25   Sep 20, 2009 1:33 pm
Venson wrote:
PSI has to do with steam output. Wattage ratings concern electrical draw. A steam cleaner with high output may do better at really grungy work but as well may be overkill if all you need it for is regular duty on floors.

The numbers game should be about how long the machine takes to heat the water it holds, how much water for steaming it will contain, how long it will produce steam and warranty time.

Venson

Here are the specs for the ORECK Steam-It.  In recent years, more mention is also being made of amps rather than watts.  I believe in part due to the concerns about energy consumption and usage. 

Carmine D.

Oreck Steam-It™ Specifications:
Weight with floor appliance9.4 lbs.
Weight without floor appliance8.1 lbs.
Warranty1 year.
Cord Length16 ft.
Included AccessoriesTwo washable microfiber towels, two bonnets, universal cleaning clips, and 6 attachments.
Water Pressure50 to 60 PSI.
Heat Up Time30 seconds.
ColorWhite and black with yellow accents.
Water Capacity1 Liter.

Mister_Bojack

Reply #26   Sep 20, 2009 2:18 pm
Venson wrote:

"Please note a good steam cleaner only produces steam when triggered and its steam rate is adjustable."

I wholeheartedly agree! I found such a steamer in clearance at a pawn shop. It's a Euro-Pro SC926.  I was extremely lucky in that everything seems to work well. The trigger control is actually an electric switch that activates a solenoid valve to release the steam.

Alas, most brands that have trigger control are expensive, so shop wisely.
This message was modified Sep 20, 2009 by Mister_Bojack
retardturtle1

Reply #27   Sep 20, 2009 4:47 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Here are the specs for the ORECK Steam-It.  In recent years, more mention is also being made of amps rather than watts.  I believe in part due to the concerns about energy consumption and usage. 

Carmine D.

Oreck Steam-It™ Specifications:
Weight with floor appliance9.4 lbs.
Weight without floor appliance8.1 lbs.
Warranty1 year.
Cord Length16 ft.
Included AccessoriesTwo washable microfiber towels, two bonnets, universal cleaning clips, and 6 attachments.
Water Pressure50 to 60 PSI.
Heat Up Time30 seconds.
ColorWhite and black with yellow accents.
Water Capacity1 Liter.

HI CARMINE

I noticed that on the commercial it can be used to clean carpets.....cloth ect. any takes or views on this. and do you know anyting about the Oreck upright extractor.....looks pretty easy to manuver for multi-use.....i ask because i have never worked on one /either kind.....curious about how they perform.

turtle1 

CarmineD

Reply #28   Sep 21, 2009 6:54 am
retardturtle1 wrote:
HI CARMINE

I noticed that on the commercial it can be used to clean carpets.....cloth ect. any takes or views on this. and do you know anyting about the Oreck upright extractor.....looks pretty easy to manuver for multi-use.....i ask because i have never worked on one /either kind.....curious about how they perform.

turtle1 

Hello 'turtle1'

I haven't bought and used the ORECK Steam-It yet.  Don't have any observations.  Getting old and don't have the umph to proceed to buy/use.  I'm still waiting for a call from ORECK when it's available.

I have seen the ORECK extractor, also called a 'power scrubber.'  Looks and sounds impressive.  Pricey at $499 tho usually sold with money off.  Claims that it extracts 95 percent leaving carpets drier. Only 17 pounds.  Puts me in mind of the Regina of years ago and may well be.  ORECK may have bought the rights when REGINA went belly up in the 80's.

Carmine D.

vacmanuk

Reply #29   Sep 24, 2009 4:52 pm
IN the UK we have Chinese built offerings and they're not very good on carpet. They all claim to shift stains out of carpets using just the microfibre cloth and then forced steam onto a plastic grid / carpet glider. Well, I bought one for my mum for her marble floors and vinyl in other parts of the house. It's brilliant on hard flooring. Useless on carpet though unless you're shifting wax and even then the original line stain can still be seen.
retardturtle1

Reply #30   Sep 24, 2009 4:59 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
IN the UK we have Chinese built offerings and they're not very good on carpet. They all claim to shift stains out of carpets using just the microfibre cloth and then forced steam onto a plastic grid / carpet glider. Well, I bought one for my mum for her marble floors and vinyl in other parts of the house. It's brilliant on hard flooring. Useless on carpet though unless you're shifting wax and even then the original line stain can still be seen.

OH,well....I kinda thought it woulda been a good idea to steam the stains  first to lossen /absorb up...before you begin shampooing....just a thought.

turtle1 

vacmanuk

Reply #31   Sep 25, 2009 7:46 pm
When I've steamed carpets it makes the shag pile very stiff and unworkable. Now if I was to further attach a bristle bar i.e. deep cleaning with suction applied and cleaning solution in theory it would remove the stain BUT I'd also be worried since the carpet fibres were steamed first as to what the machine is actually taking off; if the fibres are stiff there's every danger of the machine removing more of your carpet fibre than the actual stain.
Simonette

Reply #32   Sep 28, 2009 5:59 am
I am still researching. Gees. Oreck reviews are starting to appear on the web. Some people love them, while others are extremely disappointed. Three reviews are on Amazon. I did find two others; one believes it's outstanding and the other indicated it was given away. Even the best review points out a problem with the cloth staying on. I'm starting to think I need to spend a lot more to get my wish of dry, streak-free tile with sparkling grout. By the way, I did use my Floormate with plain distilled water. No streaks on the tile.
Simonette

Reply #33   Sep 28, 2009 6:05 am
I posted too quickly. I did write to Oreck last week. They indicated the water heats up to 212 and they were unaware of customer reviews.
CarmineD

Reply #34   Sep 28, 2009 6:57 am
Simonette wrote:
I am still researching. Gees. Oreck reviews are starting to appear on the web. Some people love them, while others are extremely disappointed. Three reviews are on Amazon. I did find two others; one believes it's outstanding and the other indicated it was given away. Even the best review points out a problem with the cloth staying on. I'm starting to think I need to spend a lot more to get my wish of dry, streak-free tile with sparkling grout. By the way, I did use my Floormate with plain distilled water. No streaks on the tile.

I added a water softener to my water system earlier this year and only use warm tap water with my HOOVER Floormate on the ceramic tiles.  Pleased with the results.

Carmine D.

Replies: 1 - 34 of 34View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42