Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Sanitaire SC5845 Bagless, Dyson DC14 or other Upright

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
rjg2

Sanitaire SC5845 Bagless, Dyson DC14 or other Upright
Original Message   Feb 17, 2008 5:01 am
Hello,

I am looking at purchasing a good vac for pet hair.  I am considering the above 2 or something else.  I prefer a bagless upright that has attachments.  I like the price of the Sanitaire.  I also would like something that is reliable.  Thanks for any help!
This message was modified Feb 17, 2008 by rjg2
Replies: 11 - 20 of 112Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
rjg2

Re: Sanitaire SC5845 Bagless, Dyson DC14 or other Upright
Reply #11   Feb 18, 2008 1:09 pm
Motorhead wrote:
One thing I noticed about the HealthyHome is that it wasn't like its cheaper brandmates (like the PowerForce, CleanView, etc...) it seemed to be fairly well-made, no cheap flimsy plastic.  It would almost have to be; after all, it is Bissell's flagship upright model, something that was nonexistent before. 

The Sanitaire SC5845 is nothing more than a cheapie Eureka bagless with a metal handle and other "beefed up" parts.  Other than that, it's the same worthless machine underneath.  Don't be fooled by the "Commercial" labeling.  Not to mention machines with bin filters are notorious for clogging and stinking.  I would honestly just take a bagged machine over one of those abominations.

Thanks for the info.  What kind of BAG vacuum would you recommend? 
CarmineD

Reply #12   Feb 18, 2008 2:43 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:

Mark Bissell has a $25 every 6 months hidden cost.  Per the Healthy Home online manual, the HEPA must be replaced every 6 months minimum. 

The BISSELL Healthy Home Users Guide says "should" not must.    There is no mention of the word 'minimum' in the Guide.  You quoted the text out of context which resulted in a pretext.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Feb 18, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #13   Feb 18, 2008 3:15 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:

Mark Bissell has a $25 every 6 months hidden cost.  Per the Healthy Home online manual, the HEPA must be replaced every 6 months minimum.  After 2 years the Bissell’s total cost is $325.  $325 amortized over its 2 year warrantee = $162.50 per yr.

Let's assume for talking purposes that the user does change the airtight HEPA every 6 months because BISSELL says it should be changed.  Using your purchase price of $25 per filter, probably accurate, the user would spend $75 for 3 additional new replacement filters during a 2 year useful life.  Remember there is a new filter with the vacuum which has a 6 month life [minimum assuming daily usage].  Doing the math and the amortization of the the cost, assuming a $200 purchase price [using a 20 percent discount coupon] the total "sunk" cost is $275 [including filters].  Or $137.50 per year for the first 2 years vice $100 for the dyson. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #14   Feb 18, 2008 3:26 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:

Dyson’s new vacuum’s are coming next month, these and his patent filings point out that the Dyson clutch is dead (the most common problem perhaps).  A yet to be released Dyson DC25 ($500) looks to be his best ever full sized and certainly the most maneuverable in upright in vacuum cleaner history.  $500 amortized over its 5 year warrantee = $100 per year.

Let's also assume, for talking purposes, that the BISSELL Healthy Home continues in operation for 3 more years beyond the warranty period.  The amortized price of the dyson for these 3 years is $300 [$100x3].  However for the BISSELL Healthy Home it is $150 for the next 3 years [3 years x $50 (for 2 new filters each year) and 6 filters in total] and $50 per year.  Vice the dyson which is $100 per year. 

Doing the math, the amortized cost of the BISSELL Healthy Home for 5 years is $425 [$275 PLUS $150] and $85 per year.  The dyson is $500 and $100 per year.  A net savings of $15 per year for the BISSELL Healthy Home vice the dyson.  An overall user savings for 5 years of $75 for the BISSELL vice the dyson.

If you maintain that the dyson user has 3 more years of warranty for the additional $75 expense, then I maintain that the BISSELL Healthy Home buyer can purchase 3 more years of an extended warranty from most retailers for $40.  If the user buys the extended warranty, it still is a net savings to the BISSELL buyer of $35 over 5 years vice the dyson.  That's enough to buy another new HEPA guaranteed airtight filter as a spare [just in case the user has some heavy duty cleaning to do with the BISSELL Healthy Home] with money leftover. 

Carmine D. 

MrApollinax

Reply #15   Feb 18, 2008 4:04 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Let's also assume, for talking purposes, that the BISSELL Healthy Home continues in operation for 3 more years beyond the warranty period.  The amortized price of the dyson for these 3 years is $300 [$100x3].  However for the BISSELL Healthy Home it is $150 [3x$50 for 6 new HEPA filters] of $50 per year.  </p><p>Doing the math, the amortized cost of the BISSELL Healthy Home for 5 years is $425 [$275 PLUS $150] and $85 per year vice the dyson which is $500 and $100 per year.  A net savings of $15 per year for the BISSELL Healthy Home vice the dyson.  An overall user savings for the 5 years of $75 for the BISSELL vice the dyson.</p><p>If you maintain that the dyson user has 3 more years of warranty for the additional $75 expense, then I would maintain that the BISSELL Healthy Home buyer can purchase 3 more years of extended warranty from most retailers for an additional $40.  If the user does buy the extended warranty, it is a net savings to the BISSELL buyer of $35 over the dyson for 5 years.  Enough to buy another new filter for a spare [just in case the user has some heavy duty cleaning to do with the BISSELL Healthy Home].</p><p>Carmine D. 

Hello, new to the forum. Joined up here because my curiosity about vacuums was peaked on another forum. One of the thing that I've picked up from another forum about this is to buy some electrostatic filter material and cut it to fit underneath the pre-motor filter of the Bissell vacs. From what was explained to me this essentially mirrors what Dyson does with their pre-motor filters to make the exhaust filter last the lifetime of the machine. So far I've changed my homemade filter insert twice (every 3 months) and wash the foam filter once a month and my HEPA filter doesn't have any dust in it from what I can see. My other bagless Bissell needed to have the HEPA replaced every 5-6 months becuase it kept getting clogged with dust. I buy WEB electrostatic register filters from Walmart. A 12-pack costs 2.98+tax and each register filter will make 3 filters to place underneath the pre-motor filter giving you 36 filter inserts in total or 9 years worth of filter material. So if you take this little bit of tweaking into account up front the cost of new HEPA filters goes away for the cost of 3 dollars.
CarmineD

Reply #16   Feb 18, 2008 4:54 pm
MrApollinax wrote:
Hello, new to the forum. Joined up here because my curiosity about vacuums was peaked on another forum. One of the thing that I've picked up from another forum about this is to buy some electrostatic filter material and cut it to fit underneath the pre-motor filter of the Bissell vacs. From what was explained to me this essentially mirrors what Dyson does with their pre-motor filters to make the exhaust filter last the lifetime of the machine. So far I've changed my homemade filter insert twice (every 3 months) and wash the foam filter once a month and my HEPA filter doesn't have any dust in it from what I can see. My other bagless Bissell needed to have the HEPA replaced every 5-6 months becuase it kept getting clogged with dust. I buy WEB electrostatic register filters from Walmart. A 12-pack costs 2.98+tax and each register filter will make 3 filters to place underneath the pre-motor filter giving you 36 filter inserts in total or 9 years worth of filter material. So if you take this little bit of tweaking into account up front the cost of new HEPA filters goes away for the cost of 3 dollars.

Outstanding. 

Redoing the amortization schedules for the BISSELL Healthy Home and the dyson [assuming a 5 year useful life] then the adjusted costs for each are: 

For the BISSELL Healthy Home:  $200 + $40 [extended warranty to account for 5 years] + $3.00 [pre-motor filter linings] for a grand total of $243.  The dyson is $500. 

The yearly amortized amounts over 5 years are $48.60 for the BISSELL each year vice $100 for the dyson.  Almost less than half.  As I said, if you want "value" rather than "glitz", the BISSELL Healthy Home is the best choice.

Thank you Mr. Apollinax for your money saving suggestion to extend HEPA filter life and usage.

Carmine D. 

HARDSELL

Reply #17   Feb 18, 2008 7:47 pm
CarmineD wrote:
As I said, if you want "value" rather than "glitz", the BISSELL .

Carmine D. 

If you really want a vacuum that cleans better than the Bissell,  and if you can afford it,  Buy Dyson.   I have used both and in my home the 3 year old Dyson outcleaned the new Bissell.
Motorhead

Reply #18   Feb 18, 2008 8:16 pm
MrApollinax wrote:

Hi MrApollinax,

Was this the Fatwallet.com forum by any chance?  Tom Gasko was the one who made that suggestion on there and other places, IIRC.  I'll have to dig up the thread again.
This message was modified Feb 18, 2008 by Motorhead
Motorhead

Reply #19   Feb 18, 2008 8:20 pm
HARDSELL wrote:
If you really want a vacuum that cleans better than the Bissell,  and if you can afford it,  Buy Dyson.   I have used both and in my home the 3 year old Dyson outcleaned the new Bissell.

Hi Hardsell,

I think the problem here is that the person who posed the question initially is not taking the suggestions for the Dyson OR Bissell and is instead looking at inferior machines with bin filters, not realizing that it will be a huge mistake, especially for someone with allergies as they clog with fine dust and are a huge mess to empty.  I agree 100% that the Dyson should be the first choice if money is no object, and for $250, while not as good as the DC17, the Bissell HealthyHome is a viable alternative (really the *only* viable alternative here).  At least with either machine there are no nasty bin filters to clog and spew dust.

-MH
This message was modified Feb 18, 2008 by Motorhead
MrApollinax

Reply #20   Feb 18, 2008 10:24 pm
Motorhead wrote:
Hi MrApollinax,<BR><BR>Was this the Fatwallet.com forum by any chance?  Tom Gasko was the one who made that suggestion on there and other places, IIRC.  I'll have to dig up the thread again.

That would be the place. I never actually got a name from him. Over on FW we all know him as Cycloneman :). He has given us a lot to chew on in terms of vacuums (both bagged and bagless) and deep cleaners all on one thread. Here is the link:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/652989

Started as a deal discussion about Hoover Fusion machines, then the Mach3/5 machines. After cycloneman jumped on it expanded to the Bissell Velocity, Dirt Devil Spinnergy, Shark Infinity, Eureka 4880, Bissell Healthy Home... basically encompassing all machines on the market that use cyclonic filtering. It also led to how to extend the life and performance of these machines. Great read. Currently I'm trying to figure out how to dampen the static electricity being generated in the dirt cup of my Total Floors Velocity which led me to this forum looking for answers.
Replies: 11 - 20 of 112Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42