Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Sanitaire SC5845 Bagless, Dyson DC14 or other Upright

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
rjg2

Sanitaire SC5845 Bagless, Dyson DC14 or other Upright
Original Message   Feb 17, 2008 5:01 am
Hello,

I am looking at purchasing a good vac for pet hair.  I am considering the above 2 or something else.  I prefer a bagless upright that has attachments.  I like the price of the Sanitaire.  I also would like something that is reliable.  Thanks for any help!
This message was modified Feb 17, 2008 by rjg2
Replies: 21 - 30 of 112Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DysonInventsBig

Re: Sanitaire SC5845 Bagless, Dyson DC14 or other Upright
Reply #21   Feb 19, 2008 1:28 am
CarmineD wrote:
The BISSELL Healthy Home Users Guide says "should" not must.    There is no mention of the word 'minimum' in the Guide.  You quoted the text out of context which resulted in a pretext.

Carmine D.

There you go lying again.  I wrote my post from memory, and not from pretext.  I gladly and easily swap must for should.

CarmineD

Reply #22   Feb 19, 2008 7:03 am
Some years ago, I engaged Mr. Tom Gasko on the pros and cons of the Eureka Whirlwind bagless [the first bagless upright vacuum marketed in the USA to use the term 'cyclonic'] and the newcomer dyson bagless, his favorite at the time.  He praised the DC07 and its exorbitant price and kow towed the mediocre performance of the dyson.  He bashed the $100 bagless Eureka Whirlwind.  I took the opposite view in favor of the Eureka, in large part, because of the affordable price and its excellent rug cleaning performance. 

One of Tom Gasko's arguments at the time, like DIB now with the BISSELL Healthy Home, was the need to change the HEPA filter in the Eureka for $25 each time.  My comment to him then was that I doubled up on the foam pre-motor filter in the Eureka bagless Whirlwind and I had not changed the HEPA filter [for over 6 years].  No loss in performance [read suction] and no noticeable air emissions degradation.  Why?  My dear Wife, as an allergy and sinus sufferer and primary user of the Whirlwind, would have noticed and let me know.   I believe the pre-motor filter cost $3.00.  I cleaned them [read vacuum] once a month.   Replaced them yearly. 

For those who remember the written debate, I said the Eureka bagless Whirwind upright for $100 was a deal and gifted more than 6 away over the years, including my own eventually.   Some of these Eurekas are still in use after many years.  Always adding the extra pre-motor filter to the vacuum before gifting.  I mentioned then that I liked the Whirlwind in part too because of a plastic shroud that covered the motor.  Unheard of in a $100 vacuum.

The Eureka Whirlwind Cyclonic bagless upright was a long running popular selling vacuum for Eureka.  Like the HOOVER Tempo, one of my favorites. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Feb 19, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #23   Feb 19, 2008 7:48 am
CarmineD wrote:
Some years ago, I engaged Mr. Tom Gasko on the pros and cons of the Eureka Whirlwind bagless [the first bagless upright vacuum marketed in the USA to use the term 'cyclonic'] and the newcomer dyson bagless, his favorite at the time.  He praised the DC07 and its exorbitant price and kow towed the mediocre performance of the dyson.  He bashed the $100 bagless Eureka Whirlwind.  I took the opposite view in favor of the Eureka, in large part, because of the affordable price and its excellent rug cleaning performance. 

One of Tom Gasko's arguments at the time, like DIB now with the BISSELL Healthy Home, was the need to change the HEPA filter in the Eureka for $25 each time.  My comment to him then was that I doubled up on the foam pre-motor filter in the Eureka bagless Whirlwind and I had not changed the HEPA filter [for over 6 years].  No loss in performance [read suction] and no noticeable air emissions degradation.  Why?  My dear Wife, as an allergy and sinus sufferer and primary user of the Whirlwind, would have noticed and let me know.   I believe the pre-motor filter cost $3.00.  I cleaned them [read vacuum] once a month.   Replaced them yearly. 

For those who remember the written debate, I said the Eureka bagless Whirwind upright for $100 was a deal and gifted more than 6 away over the years, including my own eventually.   Some of these Eurekas are still in use after many years.  Always adding the extra pre-motor filter to the vacuum before gifting.  I mentioned then that I liked the Whirlwind in part too because of a plastic shroud that covered the motor.  Unheard of in a $100 vacuum.

The Eureka Whirlwind Cyclonic bagless upright was a long running popular selling vacuum for Eureka.  Like the HOOVER Tempo, one of my favorites. 

Carmine D.

Carmine,  No matter what brand is discussed (other than Dyson)  you seem to own it and rotate brands in your daily vacuuming.  I would expect a vacuum to last for years when it has dozens or maybe hundreds of back ups and is not used more than a few times each year.

Why do you criticize plastic useage in Dysons and praise other brands for using it?  Same old double standard against Dyson I suppose.

CarmineD

Reply #24   Feb 19, 2008 8:26 am
HARDSELL wrote:
Carmine,  No matter what brand is discussed (other than Dyson)  you seem to own it and rotate brands in your daily vacuuming.  I would expect a vacuum to last for years when it has dozens or maybe hundreds of back ups and is not used more than a few times each year.

Why do you criticize plastic useage in Dysons and praise other brands for using it?  Same old double standard against Dyson I suppose.

Hello My Friend:

I've owned and tried [to use] a new DC07 pink in my current home here in Las Vegas.  Gifted it away after several months rather than return it as dyson recommended.  It didn't work on my carpets.  Gawdawful ratcheting noise kept happening.  My poor Wife and dog had to leave the house whenever I started to use it.

The Eureka vice dyson debate between Tom [then called dualcyclone] and I was before your time here and on a different forum.  Like I said earlier, Eureka was the first company and vacuum in the USA to don the "cyclonic" name on its vacuums.  Long before dyson did.   And Eureka didn't sue [like dyson would].

I have always had favorite affordable "value" vacuums.  Why?

After spending 40 plus years in the vacuum business, lots of people always ask me [still do, even email] what is a good upright vacuum that will not cost me an arm and leg.  I respond to the question with an answer based on my [and my dear Wife] personal and professional judgement and experience.  Before the HOOVER TEMPO, it was the Eureka bagged/bagless upright.  Posters and readers who follow the vacuum Forums starting in 1997 [pre-dyson] will recall.  You're a newcomer [post dyson].

I gift these away to friends and family when I am done using [read testing].  In part, to track the vacuums' service and performance after my usage in our homes.  There is at least one poster on this Forum who will verify that I've gifted a new HOOVER product to him [not the TEMPO].   The HOOVER Slider.  It's used in my home. I've gifted more than a dozen away to friends and family.  If HOOVER marketed this, I think every home in the US would have at least one.  Retails for $25-$40.  I've posted a review on here.  As I do all the products I use and I think are a value. 

And another poster here will tell you I gifted 2 new HOOVER vacuums to local churches this past Christmas: One, a HOOVER Z to be used in a commercial cleaning setting; and another a HOOVER TEMPO for a needy parish family.

Carmine D. 

This message was modified Feb 19, 2008 by CarmineD
MrApollinax

Reply #25   Feb 19, 2008 8:53 am
CarmineD wrote:
Some years ago, I engaged Mr. Tom Gasko on the pros and cons of the Eureka Whirlwind bagless [the first bagless upright vacuum marketed in the USA to use the term 'cyclonic'] and the newcomer dyson bagless, his favorite at the time. ...Carmine D.

To be fair he did state in the FW forum that Dysons were designed in a way where the user should not need to do more than clean the pre-motor filter. The other "clones" had design(ed) limitations that would effect the overall life and performance of the machines. What he did give us over at FW were the steps to easily modify or maintain these "clones" in a way that made the machines perform on par with their dyson counterparts. Here is a quote he said to DIB on the FW fourum:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/652989/m11051108/#m11051108

cycloneman wrote:
To DysonInventsBig:
You have NO idea how big a Dyson fan I am. You could ask me any question about James, how he invented the machine, about ALL his products, even machines you've perhaps never seen before (like the "Cyclon", his very first machine, built by Zannusi in Italy, 500 made, 1983, I own one). No one understands what James has gone through achieve his success more than I do. I admire and respect James.

But this thread, and perhaps the point of this site, is for consumers to choose alternatives.

I believe that Dyson is the Rolls Royce of bagless cleaners. However, not everyone can afford a Rolls Royce. Sure, we also know we are going to have to 'live' with a non-dyson vacuum's various mis-steps in the copying process. Finding them out BEFORE you buy is what, I believe, this forum is all about.

There is a lot more in the post but I left what I thought was important. For us over at FW looking for a bagless vacuum cycloneman gave us options that many of us didn't know about when we started looking for vacuums.
Motorhead

Reply #26   Feb 19, 2008 12:40 pm
Carmine, was the Eureka Whirlwind you mentioned the dual-cyclone 4880 or another model? 

I'm honestly surprised that Eureka hasn't introduced another dual-cyclone or multi-cyclone contender to their current lineup as of yet.  I remember the 4880 being around in the early-2000s (even before the Dyson arrived), and then it just disappeared.
This message was modified Feb 19, 2008 by Motorhead
CarmineD

Reply #27   Feb 20, 2008 1:38 pm
MrApollinax wrote:
To be fair he did state in the FW forum that Dysons were designed in a way where the user should not need to do more than clean the pre-motor filter. The other "clones" had design(ed) limitations that would effect the overall life and performance of the machines. What he did give us over at FW were the steps to easily modify or maintain these "clones" in a way that made the machines perform on par with their dyson counterparts. Here is a quote he said to DIB on the FW fourum:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/652989/m11051108/#m11051108

There is a lot more in the post but I left what I thought was important. For us over at FW looking for a bagless vacuum cycloneman gave us options that many of us didn't know about when we started looking for vacuums.

Mr. Apollinax:

You're a good man.

What's old is new again, as Mike W. likes to say.  Very true for the vacuum industry and has always been.

Back in the day when tanks with cloth bags ruled and reigned supreme, vacuum manufacturers took good care to "sure" up the pre-motor filters in vacuums.  Why?  To reduce the dust and debris that got past the cloth from getting into the motor compartment.  For obvious reasons.  To protect and extend the motor life and improve the exhaust air [smell and content].

How did they do this?  Most would sandwich the filter material, which was very primitive by today's standards, between screen wire and/or fine mesh and then enclosed in a rubber gasket.  To give the filter material strength, support, and substance; absorb motor heat; and seal the air [read dirt leakage] from entering the motor.  In order to extend filter life and keep and prolong peak motor performance. Most times these filters were rarely replaced and instead merely vacuumed cleaned. 

These pre-motor filters and set ups went by the wayside as filter paper bags appeared in the 50's and 60's and flourished in the industry.  With bagless vacuums, these pre-motor filters [and ways to improve their longevity] have made a resurgence.  And rightly so.  A clogged pre-motor filter is the quickest way to burn up a motor.  Both then and now.

BTW, the Eureka Whirlwind bagless was a signature gray and yellow.  Just like the dyson DC07 All Floors.  Except the Whirlwind came first.

Carmine D. 

rjg2

Reply #28   Feb 20, 2008 2:08 pm
Thanks to all for the replies.  I read Cyclonemans info and it was interesting.  All of the info. made me go and order a Dyson DC07.  I know it isn't exactly what everyone recommended but it should work better than a 10 year old Hoover upright. 
DysonInventsBig

Reply #29   Feb 20, 2008 3:41 pm

rjg2,

My neighbor loves her DC07.  I personally think the DC07 high efficiency filtration is the best Dyson currently offers.  It should filter better than Dyson’s newest uprights that are coming too (the DC24/25).  There are some patent pendings from big corporations out of Asia that are copying James’ proven upward cyclone filtration and putting them into their canisters.  These/this type of filtration configuration/s are here to stay.        DIB

This message was modified Feb 20, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #30   Feb 20, 2008 7:26 pm
rjg2 wrote:
Thanks to all for the replies.  I read Cyclonemans info and it was interesting.  All of the info. made me go and order a Dyson DC07.  I know it isn't exactly what everyone recommended but it should work better than a 10 year old Hoover upright. 

Congrats on the new dyson.  Good choice IF you snagged it for a good price.  Home Depot is selling the DC07 and DC14 on clearance AND offering an additional 10 percent off through today for Presidents' Day.  The DC07 is the better of the deals IMHO:  $329 on clearance less an additional $33 for final price of $299.  5 year Warranty.  Not bad.

Of course, I wouldn't toss/gift away that 10 year old HOOVER quite yet.  Not until you try out the new dyson and are duly pleased with the results. 

Carmine D.

Replies: 21 - 30 of 112Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42