Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Sanitaire SC5845 Bagless, Dyson DC14 or other Upright

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
rjg2

Sanitaire SC5845 Bagless, Dyson DC14 or other Upright
Original Message   Feb 17, 2008 5:01 am
Hello,

I am looking at purchasing a good vac for pet hair.  I am considering the above 2 or something else.  I prefer a bagless upright that has attachments.  I like the price of the Sanitaire.  I also would like something that is reliable.  Thanks for any help!
This message was modified Feb 17, 2008 by rjg2
Replies: 1 - 10 of 112NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
iMacDaddy

Electrolux UltraOne EL7070, Bissell BigGreen Deep Cleaning Machine

Re: Sanitaire SC5845 Bagless, Dyson DC14 or other Upright
Reply #1   Feb 17, 2008 6:00 am
Honestly, I would recommend the dyson DC17 if you want a good deep cleaning bagless upright that can handle pet hair. The DC14 is rubbish compared to the DC17. The DC17 has a much better brush roll that agitates carpet more aggressively and deep cleans better than the DC14 with its spindly helical brush roll. Also, the DC17 has a much better filtration system that does a better job at separating sand and grit from the air stream than the system utilized in the DC14.

Bestvacuum.com has the best prices on the DC17's that I have seen so far. I have recently ordered the Blue DC17 "Asthma & Allergy" version that comes with an extended dusting brush, flex crevice tool, and a mattress cleaning nozzle for $399 (the price you usually see is $499 online). They also have the purple "Animal" model with a dry powder cleaning kit, low-reach floor tool, and a turbo brush tool for $449 ($549 is what they usually go for elsewhere). They also come with a 5 year warranty, so hopefully that will reassure your confidence in the reliability of this particular model. I would also recommend taking a look at the Sebo's and Miele's on that same website, which are excellent bagged vacuums, should you decide to go with a bagged vacuum over bagless.
This message was modified Feb 17, 2008 by iMacDaddy
CarmineD

Reply #2   Feb 17, 2008 1:59 pm
rjg2 wrote:
Hello,

I am looking at purchasing a good vac for pet hair.  I am considering the above 2 or something else.  I prefer a bagless upright that has attachments.  I like the price of the Sanitaire.  I also would like something that is reliable.  Thanks for any help!

Another bagless upright option for $200-$250 and 2 year limited warranty right up there with your choices:

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000HS28AK/ref=cm_cr_pr_redirect

http://www.allergybegone.com/bissell-5770-upright-vacuum.html?GCID=S11639x033-Vacuums&keyword=Bissell+Healthy+Home&OVRAW=bissell%20healthy%20home%20vacuum&OVKEY=bissell%20healthy%20home&OVMTC=advanced&OVADID=6152386021&OVKWID=67248548021

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=product&tab=7&id=1157067256370&skuId=8028181&childSku=null&count=null#headerCustomerReviews

Carmine D.

This message was modified Feb 17, 2008 by CarmineD
Motorhead

Reply #3   Feb 17, 2008 6:44 pm
Hi rjg2,

I would go with either of the machines recommended to you already.  The problem I see with the Sanitaire is that it has a bin filter; that is definitely something you do *not* want with your allergies.  Over time, that filter will trap a lot of fine dust and pet hair, making the machine extremely messy to empty and clean.  In addition, because the filter does trap all of that, it will clog, causing the machine to lose power.  You need something that is a true cyclonic design like the HealthyHome or DC17 eliminating any potential of trapping fine dust or pet hair in the machine.

The Dyson DC14 isn't a bad machine, however, keep in mind it is one of the older Dyson designs so the new models are a vast improvement over that one.  The DC17 has the added advantage of Level 3 separation (3 different stages of separation in the cyclone assy. so you only have to clean the pre-motor filter every 6 years or so) and two motors with a lifetime geared belt for the brushroll instead of the clutch setup of the DC14.  It also has a more aggressive brushroll than the 14 which will be able to pull more pet dander from the carpet.   The brushroll on the DC17 is also thicker so there is less of a possibility of hair becoming entangled around it, and even so, it is easier to clean if that happens.

If you're not looking to spend $450-550 on a vacuum and want something around the $250 range, then definitely check the Bissell HealthyHome out.  I've used this machine and really like it; it has an aggressive brushroll and tons of suction.  It has the same design as the Dyson (read: true multi-cyclone with no bin filters; doesn't clog or lose power) and will give you improved performance over the DC14 for much less.  If I couldn't have a Dyson, the HealthyHome would be my second choice, easily!  If you notice the Amazon reviews, people say the same about the HealthyHome that I've seen people say about their Dysons...it makes them breathe better (due to the amount of pet dander it removes from the carpet) and their friends like it as well.   So I'd say it's an excellent machine for the price.

-MH
CarmineD

Reply #4   Feb 17, 2008 9:14 pm
Motorhead wrote:
Hi rjg2,

If you're not looking to spend $450-550 on a vacuum and want something around the $250 range, then definitely check the Bissell HealthyHome out.  I've used this machine and really like it; it has an aggressive brushroll and tons of suction.  It has the same design as the Dyson (read: true multi-cyclone with no bin filters; doesn't clog or lose power) and will give you improved performance over the DC14 for much less.  If I couldn't have a Dyson, the HealthyHome would be my second choice, easily!  If you notice the Amazon reviews, people say the same about the HealthyHome that I've seen people say about their Dysons...it makes them breathe better (due to the amount of pet dander it removes from the carpet) and their friends like it as well.   So I'd say it's an excellent machine for the price.

-MH

In other words, if you are looking for "value" [read affordable] and not "glitz" [read high price], the BISSELL Healthy Home is the best choice.  Linens-n-Things carry the BISSELL Healthy Home for a regular retail price of $250.  With the 20 percent off coupon, you can purchase it for $200.   Most other retailers will probably match that price too.  Looking at reliability ratings from the Consumer Reports perspective, BISSELL, when you factor into account the CR caveat of 3 points or less as not meaningful, is comparable to dyson.  AND the turbo tool attachment is on board the Healthy Home unlike the dyson.

That would be MY first choice, if I were upright bagless minded inclined.  And, you can pocket the savings [$200 minimum] from the difference in the cost of a new dyson.  What do you know: The price of another BISSELL Healthy Home!  As my Jewish Aunt would say in her own inimitable way....Such a deal!

Carmine D.

This message was modified Feb 17, 2008 by CarmineD
HARDSELL

Reply #5   Feb 17, 2008 10:39 pm
I returned a Bissell Healthy Home and kept my Dyson DC07.   They Dyson is worth the cost difference IMO.
mole

Reply #6   Feb 18, 2008 9:34 am
Hi,I.M.H.O. you would be LUCKY to get 2 years out of each of these bagless machines,before big trouble sets in,please consider what type of backup service and repair are offered. Sanitaires customer service is excellent,even though they dont talk english.

MOLE

DysonInventsBig

Reply #7   Feb 18, 2008 11:54 am

Mark Bissell has a $25 every 6 months hidden cost.  Per the Healthy Home online manual, the HEPA must be replaced every 6 months minimum.  After 2 years the Bissell’s total cost is $325.  $325 amortized over its 2 year warrantee = $162.50 per yr.

Dyson’s new vacuum’s are coming next month, these and his patent filings point out that the Dyson clutch is dead (the most common problem perhaps).  A yet to be released Dyson DC25 ($500) looks to be his best ever full sized and certainly the most maneuverable in upright in vacuum cleaner history.  $500 amortized over its 5 year warrantee = $100 per year.

Lucky1

Reply #8   Feb 18, 2008 12:22 pm
How is the plastic on the Bissell? I've had parts on several Bissell products I've repaired BREAK while working on them!!! I really haven't had much faith in them ever since. (Serious question not just a gripe)
rjg2

Reply #9   Feb 18, 2008 12:32 pm
Thanks for the replies.  Recently I have looked at the Dyson's in person and I now cannot justify paying the price.  I would rather pay a premium for a reliable commerical vacuum.  I am also not sold on Bissells.

Basically we need one that is a bagless upright(cleaning reusable filters is not a problem nor is emptying the cup), good on pet hair, doesn't smell and has tools. 
This message was modified Feb 18, 2008 by rjg2
Motorhead

Reply #10   Feb 18, 2008 12:39 pm
One thing I noticed about the HealthyHome is that it wasn't like its cheaper brandmates (like the PowerForce, CleanView, etc...) it seemed to be fairly well-made, no cheap flimsy plastic.  It would almost have to be; after all, it is Bissell's flagship upright model, something that was nonexistent before. 

The Sanitaire SC5845 is nothing more than a cheapie Eureka bagless with a metal handle and other "beefed up" parts.  Other than that, it's the same worthless machine underneath.  Don't be fooled by the "Commercial" labeling.  Not to mention machines with bin filters are notorious for clogging and stinking.  I would honestly just take a bagged machine over one of those abominations.
This message was modified Feb 18, 2008 by Motorhead
Replies: 1 - 10 of 112NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42