Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Consumer Reports - March 2008

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Consumer Reports - March 2008
Original Message   Jan 31, 2008 6:47 pm
Some observations -

• Oreck is conspicuously missing from the upright ratings.
  • Panasonic has a new AeroBlast for $700 is a apparently a poor copy of a Dyson that burps loudly when it reverses the air flow to clean the filter.   Why would anyone pay so much for a Dyson copy, particularly when the filter clogs with fine dust?
  • Hoover's fall from grace is noted, presumably due to their ill conceived bagless vacuums.  Hoover now has the worst reliability of the uprights.  Dyson is second only to Kirby in the reliability rankings.   
  • For uprights, Kenmore takes the top 2 spots (bagged and bagless), followed by the Riccar SupraLite RSL3, the Electrolux Oxygen EL5035A, and the Kirby Sentria.  
  • The Halo is #33 on the list for uprights. 
  • The $60 Hoover Tempo Widepath has a better tool airflow score than the Dyson DC17 as well as better carpet cleaning scores. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 21 - 30 of 216Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Consumer Reports - March 2008
Reply #21   Feb 5, 2008 4:15 pm
Motorhead wrote:

... Tempo (with "Ametek Shanghai" motor no less)... In real life there's no way they would fare that well, and even so, how long would they last...

Hey dyson return man:

Had to "bash" the HOOVER TEMPO, a $60 vacuum.  Of course, because I praised it and CR for the excellent pick.  It moved up 2 in the rankings this year to number 6 and is ahead of the DC17 [your favorite] which costs $549 and comes in at 7.  Beat by a $60 HOOVER.  And the TEMPO has a headlight AND DYSONS DON'T.

Now to answer your question. An easy one.  At $60 per for a HOOVER TEMPO a consumer can buy 9 in total [at $540] which will outlast ONE dyson DC17 at $549.  AND the buyer has the benefit of NINE years [MINIMUM] of unconditional product guarantees NOT 5 year [MAXIMUM] limited guarantee on a DC17 PLUS A HEADLIGHT.

HOME DEPOT has added the HOOVER TEMPO to its sales venue recently while culling several dyson models from its inventory and shelves.  Wonder why dyson man?

Carmine D.

This message was modified Feb 5, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #22   Feb 5, 2008 5:48 pm
WRT the HOOVER TEMPO: Since you dyson return man like to peruse the internet for reviews and links I thought I would too.

One link here on this site rates the HOOVER TEMPO a 100 percent for popularity among buyers and users [higher than all other upright vacuums including dysons].  Why? Read on.

Hoover U5140900 Bagged Tempo Widepath Product Reviews
Review Excerpt
"I shopped extensively for a new vacuum. This one is the best model if you're looking to spend less than one hundred dollars. It works great."
see at least 6 more reviews at pricegrabber.com
"Got this a couple of months ago as per the CR recommendation. It works good on carpet, not so good on hard floors."
see at least 415 more reviews at amazon.com
"Powerful/Good Suction, Feels self propelled, Easy to Use, Efficient, Lightweight"
see at least 216 more reviews at abtelectronics.com

"Seems to clean the carpets good, it is light weight and I don't really notice that it is not self-propelled, however it is loud and the cord is shorter than my other vac. cleaner. If you don't want to spend a lot of money this cleaner will get the job done."
see at least 3 more reviews at astore.amazon.com
298 posters rate HOOVER Tempo
5 Stars. 
248 posters rate it a 4.5. 
187 rate it 4. 
26 rate it 3. 
9 rate it 2
20 rate it 1. 
733 users out of 788
rate it 4 Stars or higher. 
Pretty convincing and impressive.
CR must have this one right! Always has.
Not you dyson return man.  You're Wrong. Again.
Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #23   Feb 5, 2008 8:41 pm
Motorhead wrote:

In addition I see the DC17's ranking has improved as well, yet the machine itself is unchanged. 

Let me help you dyson return man. 

Rankings are affected by the number and brand of vacuums tested.  Remember I posted that the Eureka Boss Smart Vacuum was not included in March 2008.  It was in October 2007.  That's one less in the top 10 for tests that could account for the increase by one in the ranking for the dyson DC17.  Right?

What you should compare instead for consistency among the CR ratings are the individual test scores.  If you do, the dyson DC17 in the October 2007 ratings and March 2008 ratings are the same in every test category EXCEPT ONE: Noise.  The rating went from FAIR to GOOD changing the overall score from 64 to 65.  Not that big a difference.  One point. 

How do you know the machine is unchanged?  My sense is that the 450 dyson engineers figured out if they add a little more sound insulation to the motor housing [which could be coating of paint], it will muffle the noise. 

Carmine D. 

CarmineD

Reply #24   Feb 5, 2008 9:08 pm
Motorhead wrote:
The DC21's rather low rating was disappointing, it's a lot better machine than they make it out to be.  Ridiculous.

No dyson return man.  Accurate.  Let me help you once again.

IMHO, the reason the dyson DC21 is ranked 54 of 61 is the ratings in the categories for carpet cleaning, noise, and pet hair removal from carpets.  The first and last categories carry a lot of weight for CR.  Don't take my word, read the CR narrative.  The ratings for the dyson DC21 [a $500 bagless canister] are GOOD for all 3.  The dyson DC21 rating for handling, a category that 450 dyson engineers should max out, is FAIR.  Which lowers the overall DC21 rating and rank further vice its competitors.

The carpet cleaning and pet hair removal ratings for the DC21 are not ridiculous, save the fact that dyson after 6 years still can't improve its performance.  Why?  The ratings in these 2 categories are comparable and pretty consistent with the CR category ratings for October 2007 and March 2008 FOR ALL THE DYSONS TESTED:  DC07, DC14, DC15, and DC18.  Either good/fair.  So the DC21 ratings in these specific categories are on par with all the dysons tested by CR for these categories for the past 2 years.  My sense is that if you look back further than 2 years, the same is also true.  Why?  The DC07, 14, and 15 are all three or more years old.  And in this time, dyson uprights have never made the top 10 until now with the the DC17.  Which launched in the USA in September 2006.  And CR first reviewed in October 2007.  It was number 11 behind number 10: The BISSELL Healthy Home.  Which is number 9 in March 2008. 

The only real difference among the dyson vacuum ratings is in the dyson DC17.  It gets very good in these 2 categories and no doubt this is the reason it fares the best in ranks.  And moves up to number 7, in front of the BISSELL Healthy Home.  Why?  Read on.

Compare the BISSELL Healthy Home ratings by category and the Dyson DC17 ratings by category for October 2007 and March 2008.  The BISSELL Healthy Home ratings are identical from one time to the other.  Not so the dyson.  The rating for noise went from fair [October 2007] to good [March 2008].  And the reason the DC17, in part, moved ahead of the BISSELL Healthy Home.

As with the DC21, the DC17 gets a fair in handling.  Which keeps it in the low top 10 in the latest CR rankings.  With 450 dyson engineers, several test laboratories, and all the money spent on R&D, the best dyson can muster for handling for their latest full size vacuums is FAIR.  For shame. 

Dyson did very well in reliability for its first year out in the USA...............but they have to improve the performance of their vacuums.  After 6 years, dyson is still struggling with its performance.  It takes both performance and reliability when you price your products the highest.  The latter doesn't count without the former and vice versa.

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #25   Feb 6, 2008 9:12 am
So why is it that the dyson uprights are mediocre,when they basically use the same ydk/panasonic/domel/china ametek,suction motors.The problems must lie somewhere else with the product.You would think that after all the research and development they would have it down pretty good by now.

The dc22 baby can is just another dyson mistake,and should get out of the u.s. canister market.In the longrun these mistakes are going to reflect on the company as a whole,and the consumers are going to shun the products with DYSONS name on it.

Maybe they should get back into the laundry stuff again?

MOLE

HARDSELL

Reply #26   Feb 6, 2008 10:00 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hey dyson return man:

Had to "bash" the HOOVER TEMPO, a $60 vacuum.  Of course, because I praised it and CR for the excellent pick.  It moved up 2 in the rankings this year to number 6 and is ahead of the DC17 [your favorite] which costs $549 and comes in at 7.  Beat by a $60 HOOVER.  And the TEMPO has a headlight AND DYSONS DON'T.

Now to answer your question. An easy one.  At $60 per for a HOOVER TEMPO a consumer can buy 9 in total [at $540] which will outlast ONE dyson DC17 at $549.  AND the buyer has the benefit of NINE years [MINIMUM] of unconditional product guarantees NOT 5 year [MAXIMUM] limited guarantee on a DC17 PLUS A HEADLIGHT.

HOME DEPOT has added the HOOVER TEMPO to its sales venue recently while culling several dyson models from its inventory and shelves.  Wonder why dyson man?

Carmine D.

Mr Washed Up,

It seems that the trend at CR is to pick the least expensive.  If one chooses the $60 Hoover should they also invest in a good electronic air filtering system to catch the dust spewed from the Hoover?

I notice that you are now supporting the disposable vacuum.  Is that because all your favorites only last a short time?   Maybe that useless headlight is wearing them out.

Just

Reply #27   Feb 6, 2008 10:36 am

This message was modified Feb 6, 2008 by Just
HARDSELL

Reply #28   Feb 6, 2008 3:28 pm
Just wrote:
You guys,

I have always admired the passion that the members on this board use to advocate their machines of choice.   But as of late it is disheartening that this is a two brand board and these are the only ones allowed to be mentioned; and even then they are mentioned in vain.    This is more like reading a blog from the Hatfields and the McCoys.

Name calling is just not nice--Five minutes on the naughty step.

Prior to December this was a very civil board.  Then Carmine joined.  From that point it took less than 30 days to lock a topic.  He has also been a major contributor to getting an entire site closed.  Problem is he is living the past and can't comprehend how he was passed by.

In case you do not know, Carmine parted the sea, predicted a flood and provided a ship to save all animals, taught Fred Astair to dance,  taught Joe Louis to box.  No matter what the occurance Carmine always reminds the world that he predicted it way in advance.  He predicted that Dyson would be out of business two years ago.  He predicted that the Hoover Fusion then the Hoover Z would be the next bagless standards.   They are long gone.  There were a few others that he claimed would unseat Dyson in BB and other stores.  It ain't happened.

I see he has a puppet on this site also.  Perhaps he and mole should get in the laundry business.  Both seem to be washed up.

I really like Dyson!!

This message was modified Feb 6, 2008 by HARDSELL
mole

Reply #29   Feb 6, 2008 5:08 pm
Hi  H.S.,remember me?.I invented the wheel........

MOLE

HARDSELL

Reply #30   Feb 6, 2008 6:25 pm
mole wrote:
Hi  H.S.,remember me?.I invented the wheel........

MOLE

Yes, and then Carmine made it round so it would roll.  Of course I suspect the two of you also invented electricity because you anticipated a future machine that would suck up dirt..  It would initially be cranked to turn the fan and suck air.  Of course it would not work properly without a light and that required electricity.
Replies: 21 - 30 of 216Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42