Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > New Dyson model...any info?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Motorhead

New Dyson model...any info?
Original Message   Dec 19, 2007 5:53 pm
Apparently there's a new Dyson model that will be launched in February at the VDTA Convention.  I don't know any further specifics on whether or not it's going to be a canister or upright, but apparently all attendees of the show will be able to see it and place their orders.  I wonder if the $899 pricetag will be a detriment to sales, or are Americans willing to pay a premium for superior performance and space-age motor technology?

Has anyone else heard anything yet?  I'm curious to know what it is as I bought the DC21 right when it came out in March.  That and the DC17 are the only ones that impressed me so far, it will be interesting to see how this one is.
This message was modified Dec 19, 2007 by Motorhead
Replies: 35 - 44 of 121Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
sfosweeperuser

Re: New Dyson model...any info?
Reply #35   Jan 7, 2008 9:12 pm
MH,

I think I have confused you with another vacuum enthusiast.  My apologies.

mole

Reply #36   Jan 9, 2008 9:41 am
CarmineD wrote:
My sense is that the reason that dyson gets the Forum coverage for defects and returns is because it is by far the highest priced vacuum sold by the big box retailers.  When yours is the highest price, in most cases 2X and 3X the average price of a new vacuum sold in America, consumers expect that it is deserving and worthy of the price.  Dyson supporters like to maintain as a defense for the high dyson price:  You get what you pay for.  Well, evidently not all the time.  

Carmine D. 

How very true........
Trilobite

Reply #37   Jan 9, 2008 7:20 pm
Attention all!

DYSON DC23

http://certificates.iecee.org/cbtestcert/cbtestcert.nsf/476c88daa9b602fbc12570990038ef4b/ad021c22658bf9dec12573ad0030d8e3?OpenDocument

Motorhead

Reply #38   Jan 9, 2008 7:50 pm
DC23, now that's interesting, I wonder what it will be in relation to the DC22?  Guess we'll have to wait and see...
This message was modified Jan 9, 2008 by Motorhead
CarmineD

Reply #39   Jan 10, 2008 9:34 am
mole wrote:
How very true........

Hello Mole:

It's safe to say, without contradiction, that US consumers hold higher priced appliances including vacuums to higher standards. 

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #40   Jan 10, 2008 9:45 am
Hi Carmine,you very well know what i'm talking about,after the consumer plunks 500.00 plus for a cleaner and feels like they been had[taken in by the hype],they find it very difficult to spend their hard earned dollars on another high priced vacuum,Using dyson for example, 500.00 plus for a cleaner that lasts no longer than a run of the mill hoover tempo,panasonic upright, etc,that costs under the 100.00 mark.The average vacuum cleaner sales person dont care about you or your family's needs,You know the Kirby credo.YOU are the prey and were the vultures...........

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #41   Jan 10, 2008 11:49 am
mole wrote:
Hi Carmine,you very well know what i'm talking about,after the consumer plunks 500.00 plus for a cleaner and feels like they been had[taken in by the hype],they find it very difficult to spend their hard earned dollars on another high priced vacuum,Using dyson for example, 500.00 plus for a cleaner that lasts no longer than a run of the mill hoover tempo,panasonic upright, etc,that costs under the 100.00 mark.The average vacuum cleaner sales person dont care about you or your family's needs,You know the Kirby credo.YOU are the prey and were the vultures...........

MOLE

Hello Mole:

I'd recommend the $60 HOOVER Tempo over a $500 dyson any day in every way and not think twice.  I did so on vacuum Forums for years before Consumer Reports said exactly the same as me: CR recommended the HOOVER Tempo over the $469 dyson DC18 Lite [Slim].  

Carmine D.

Just

Reply #42   Jan 10, 2008 1:23 pm
Mole,

I realize I will probably be eaten alive for this but. . .

I have no experiences with the Dyson beyond the story I posted about my Nephew and his wife's machine.  However, I have had experience with Kirbys.  There are some major differences between the Kirby and the Dyson.  The Kirby will still be running and doing a beauitful job 30 years after the Dyson has met the garbage heap.   If the Kirby should break down, you can always find a repair shop willing to work on it.  Kirby's parts are readily available, and Kirby will always be available to rebuild the machine for a nominal fee returning it to it's original condition and performance. 

Again I may not be giving Dyson it's dues because I have no experience with them, but I have been pushing a Kirby since I could walk so I admit being partial.    I have a Omega purchased new on May 30, 1975 that is still used at least twice a week.  The only thing not original on that machine is the brush roll and belts.   I also have a Ultimate G, but if the truth be told; I love the Omega the most.

This message was modified Jan 10, 2008 by Just
M00seUK

Reply #43   Jan 10, 2008 6:41 pm

DC23 might well be the first canister featuring Level3 cyclone AKA 'core separation'. Dyson will have been looking to get this in their canister range as soon as possible, so that they can capitalise on the benefits. Maybe it'll have the digital motor option?

There's the outside chance it might be a variant of the DC12 (tiny canister), which is still currently only available in Japan. I personally hope that something like this is introduced to the market soon. I still don't have a Dyson cleaner at home because I'm forever waiting on this one!

CarmineD

Reply #44   Jan 10, 2008 7:40 pm
Just wrote:
Mole,

I have no experiences with the Dyson beyond the story I posted about my Nephew and his wife's machine.  However, I have had experience with Kirbys.  There are some major differences between the Kirby and the Dyson.  The Kirby will still be running and doing a beauitful job 30 years after the Dyson has met the garbage heap.   If the Kirby should break down, you can always find a repair shop willing to work on it.  Kirby's parts are readily available, and Kirby will always be available to rebuild the machine for a nominal fee returning it to it's original condition and performance. 

Again I may not be giving Dyson it's dues because I have no experience with them, but I have been pushing a Kirby since I could walk so I admit being partial.    I have a Omega purchased new on May 30, 1975 that is still used at least twice a week.  The only thing not original on that machine is the brush roll and belts.   I also have a Ultimate G, but if the truth be told; I love the Omega the most.

Hello Just;

In my opinion, your conclusions about dyson vice Kirby are valid and accurate.  And your personal experience is proven based on present and past vacuum industry experience.  However, dyson was never and still isn't concerned about comparisons to Kirby [and dyson coming up lacking].   Dyson markets its vacuum products against the big box retail store makes and models.  The new vacuums priced at average and below average prices.  Offering an alternative to buyers who want better vacuums but are not willing to go with the industry stalwarts and icons sold door to door and/or at the independent vacuum stores.  Regardless of what you think of dyson's products, this was excellent marketing strategy and perfectly timed for launch in the US market.

The upshot of dyson's [and other big box store brands] indifference to comparisons to the better and best vacuums on the market is the ever increasing likelihood that high end US vacuum buyers become frustrated and disgusted with the big box store brands.  As American consumers are more concerned about quality purchases and higher standards [especially in light of the whole China fiasco] and contemplate $400, $500 and $600 vacuum purchases from big box retail stores, they will scoff at dyson [and other big box retail store vacuum brands].  Part ways with big box retailers for vacuum purchases in favor of the industry icons like Kirby, Royal, Aerus, RICCAR, ORECK, Miele, Sebo, Bosch, Lindhaus, and the other top tier vacuum brands.  Not just new models but used and rebuilt models ala Mole and Venson's comments on another thread.  Big box retailers know this and realize that the "new vacuum buying mindset" [not necessarily buying new] for quality is setting in already with high end US buyers.   In short, Americans are fed up with the China crap.  Period.  And looking for better alternatives: The quality and proven vacuum brands both new and used.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 10, 2008 by CarmineD
Replies: 35 - 44 of 121Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42