Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > New Dyson model...any info?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Motorhead

New Dyson model...any info?
Original Message   Dec 19, 2007 5:53 pm
Apparently there's a new Dyson model that will be launched in February at the VDTA Convention.  I don't know any further specifics on whether or not it's going to be a canister or upright, but apparently all attendees of the show will be able to see it and place their orders.  I wonder if the $899 pricetag will be a detriment to sales, or are Americans willing to pay a premium for superior performance and space-age motor technology?

Has anyone else heard anything yet?  I'm curious to know what it is as I bought the DC21 right when it came out in March.  That and the DC17 are the only ones that impressed me so far, it will be interesting to see how this one is.
This message was modified Dec 19, 2007 by Motorhead
Replies: 24 - 33 of 121Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
mole

Re: New Dyson model...any info?
Reply #24   Jan 6, 2008 11:53 am
I understand Mike,out of respect to you and a few others on the forum,You are one of us.

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #25   Jan 6, 2008 11:14 pm
The next new dyson launch will consist of at least one new upright model slated for the big box store venue.  Why?

Here are the reasons why. 

If you follow the big box store sales ads from week to week [like me], you notice at least one big box store each week selling dyson upright models at clearance prices.  In some cases in concert with FREE gift cards of $50-$100.  [Something I predicted several months ago as part of the 2007 Holiday Season dyson vacuum sales]. 

This week it is Target advertising the DC07 All Floors for $339 (regular $399) and DC14 Drive Target Exclusive for $389 (regular $459).  Both prices are more than the typical 10 percent off, which is the infamous dyson MAP allowable.

Last week it was Linens & Things with the dyson DC17 Absolute for $549 BEFORE the 20 percent off coupon and FREE $50 Gift card.

Week before, it was BEST BUY with the DC14 All Floors on clearance and a FREE Gift Card.  And so on and so on.

Put it all together and what does it mean?  The big box retailers who sell dysons have permission to break the MAP to clear out the old dyson upright models and make room and money for the new dysons.  No complaints from dyson and/or the retailers because all who want to participate in the sales clearances have permission.

Add the fact that the newest dyson uprights [DC17 Absolute and DC18 Lite] have some substantial retail age on them now.  Big box retailers like to have a constant new crop of vacuums to meet/satisfy customer demand.  In the big box retail industry, a vacuum with a year or more on the market is ready for the product retirement cycle.

Let's see what happens next.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 7, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #26   Jan 7, 2008 9:11 am
Vacuuman wrote:
Carmine, I once had a customer tell me to my face that I was lieing to her when i told her she needed to wash the filters regularly.  I have also had customers come in with well used and very dirty Dysons, and claim that the machine never needs any servicing or cleaning at their cost. 

But I have to say the worst ones are the Kirby owners with their "lifetime warranty" that covers everything that ever goes wrong for any reason...     They don't tend to take the news to well.

Hi Reggie, Dont you find it a little funny how the usual vacuum cleaner buyer,buys on blind faith,believes every thing the bujambi says to them at the box stores,falls for all the pretty pictures,the borderline false advertising claims,then tells you that your lieing to them,I would put money on it that the retail store HELP has never changed the clutch on a dc07/14.Just keep on selling the parts for dyson......

MOLE

Just

Reply #27   Jan 7, 2008 10:27 am
I am not trying to get into a debate of machines, but.  My Nephew and his wife just purchased a Big Bird colored vacuum at our local Sam's Club for a retail price $469.  She used the vac exactly two (2) times.  Dumping the bin after each room she cleaned.  She did so to demonstrate how much dirt she was getting out of each room.   When she pulled it out for it's third cleaning the machine didn't seem to be picking up, after  few minutes the motor just shut down.  They took it back, and was told they would have to send it into the service shop.  They spent all of the christmas holiday with a cheap Dirt Devil vac to tidy up with.  They have now been notified that the vacuum will not be repaired under warranty, because the filters had not been kept clean, and this constitues  misues and abuse thus voiding the warranty.    Apparently the motor is spent. 

I suggested that with as short of time it was owned, they should contact higher ups in the company and request a replacement.  It is currently being considered but they have not heard anything yet.

M00seUK

Reply #28   Jan 7, 2008 11:58 am
Just wrote:
I am not trying to get into a debate of machines, but.  My Nephew and his wife just purchased a Big Bird colored vacuum at our local Sam's Club for a retail price $469.  She used the vac exactly two (2) times.  Dumping the bin after each room she cleaned.  She did so to demonstrate how much dirt she was getting out of each room.   When she pulled it out for it's third cleaning the machine didn't seem to be picking up, after  few minutes the motor just shut down.  They took it back, and was told they would have to send it into the service shop.  They spent all of the christmas holiday with a cheap Dirt Devil vac to tidy up with.  They have now been notified that the vacuum will not be repaired under warranty, because the filters had not been kept clean, and this constitues  misues and abuse thus voiding the warranty.    Apparently the motor is spent. 

I suggested that with as short of time it was owned, they should contact higher ups in the company and request a replacement.  It is currently being considered but they have not heard anything yet.

(Presumably it's a Dyson cleaner you're talking about??)

If it's only been used twice, then they can hardly be expected to have kept the filters clean. Typically, the filter requires inspection every 6 months, with say two uses per week.
There's a few ways in which the filter can be blocked like this in a short time period. 1) There's a problem with the machine's construction 2) The user has picked up a lot of fine dust in one go 3) The user has allowed the bin to reach the MAX level and continued vacuuming. As long as the machine is used correctly, there's no reason why (in my mind) it shouldn't be replaced.
CarmineD

Reply #29   Jan 7, 2008 12:36 pm
Just wrote:
My Nephew and his wife just purchased a Big Bird colored vacuum at our local Sam's Club for a retail price $469. 

Hello Just:

Are you implying that the new dyson vacuum from Sam's Club is a "lemon," as in a defective dud?  If so, then you're insulting the integrity and reputation of Big Bird who is completely innocent and blameless in this matter. 

What's interesting to me is the unwillingness by Sam's Club to exchange the vacuum for a new one/refund the cost.  Is it possible that the return period allowed by Sam's Club has been exceeded?  If not, then I would conclude that Sam's Club Stores, like all other big box retailers, are getting tougher with return policies for vacuums even for those that are problematic.  While I understand the retailer's point of view (it's costly over time to accept returned dyson vacuums for refunds/exchanges) if true (tougher return policies), then it does not bode well for dyson sales.

I recall Mole posting that his local BEST BUY store has 3 dozen returned dysons for sale.  If you do the math for these 35 returned dyson units and extrapolate to the entire BEST BUY store chain, it's a real hefty sum of money to reduce from sales revenue to reach the bottom line [profit].

I recall the VP of TARGET several years back saying in a newspaper interview [when big box stores still had liberal return and exchange policies] that returned "vacuum cleaners" was the single most expensive cost item in figuring the chain's net profit from new vacuum sales.

Carmine D.

Just

Reply #30   Jan 7, 2008 1:35 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Hello Just:

Are you implying that the new dyson vacuum from Sam's Club is a "lemon," as in a defective dud?  If so, then you're insulting the integrity and reputation of Big Bird who is completely innocent and blameless in this matter. 

I am sorry, I did not mean to insult Big Bird. I was only stating the color of the machine in question.  I believe it was defective and not misused.

I am also not meaning to imply that all of the Yellow/Orange machines are defective, only relaying the service of this particular one.

As I did state, the bin was not allowed to get overfull, as it was emptied after each room cleaned.  The two time it was used was within a week period.  My Nephew, who is a Doctor, is not uninformed on the workings of the world; but was very upset about the manner in which this store acted in regards to this machine.

Motorhead

Reply #31   Jan 7, 2008 7:30 pm
Just wrote:

Hi Just, Carmine & everyone,

Referencing this and the Costco story that Carmine posted, these problems (that ultimately lead to store returns) are not just limited to Dysons, contrary to ever-popular belief.  No doubt there's a large amount of Hoover WindTunnels, Mach 3's, etc. as well as Dirt Devils being returned as well.  Of course for some reason the Dyson is all we tend to hear about on here ;-)

Just, I'm willing to bet that the machine your nephew had (DC14 I'm guessing, or was it a 15?) was indeed a lemon in one way or another.  I am a firm believer in that stores should not accept returns based on customer abuse or misuse, but this was neither and Sam's should have accepted the return.  The machine itself was just bad, in this case the cyclone assy. was probably defective as it was letting excessive fine dust get into the pre-motor filter.  I have vacuumed an ungodly amount of fine dust with my DC21 and have only had to wash the filter once (this week, after 9 months instead of 6, and even so the dust was only on the surface of the filter).

Carmine's story, regarding the lady taking the machine back to Costco, is an example of misuse.  The manual clearly states that the pre-motor filter has to be washed every 6 months under regular use.  In that case, Costco should not have accepted the return.   This is the same as not cleaning out the filter on a nasty filtered bagless (though I can see why most wouldn't want to, yuk!), or not changing the bag in a bagged machine.  No machine is perfect, yet, and will always require some degree of work to maintain top performance, whether it be changing the bag or cleaning the pre-motor filter. 

Truth be known, even as a Dyson user and supporter, I don't care for the DC07, DC14, and DC15 designs.  The DC07 design, while fascinating when introduced (and helped Dyson get their foot in the door in the American market) is going on 10 years old and is for the most part outdated in a company that is always (and needs to be) on the leading edge of innovation.  The DC14 is essentially that same design with minor tweaks, still using the DC07's horrible nozzle and brushroll.  The DC15 looked good on paper but the rug nozzle design is (in my opinion) horrible and severely affects performance.  Those three models seem to be the "token machines" used in anti-Dyson propaganda (at least from what I've seen) and should be dropped.  Dyson needs to focus on what's good now, the DC17, 18, 21, and future models.  Speaking of that, I noticed the closeout on the DC07/14 in Target as well; they're dropping the two (with the exception of the pink breast cancer DC07) to carry the DC17 Absolute and DC18 Slim uprights.

-MH
CarmineD

Reply #32   Jan 7, 2008 8:02 pm
Motorhead wrote:

Referencing this and the Costco story that Carmine posted, these problems (that ultimately lead to store returns) are not just limited to Dysons, contrary to ever-popular belief.  No doubt there's a large amount of Hoover WindTunnels, Mach 3's, etc. as well as Dirt Devils being returned as well.  Of course for some reason the Dyson is all we tend to hear about on here ;-)

-MH

My sense is that the reason that dyson gets the Forum coverage for defects and returns is because it is by far the highest priced vacuum sold by the big box retailers.  When yours is the highest price, in most cases 2X and 3X the average price of a new vacuum sold in America, consumers expect that it is deserving and worthy of the price.  Dyson supporters like to maintain as a defense for the high dyson price:  You get what you pay for.  Well, evidently not all the time.

Since the Sam's Club Store will not exchange the defective dyson, the question now becomes what will dyson do about the defective dyson product?  Dyson can't impose its wishes on the Sam's Store policies.  But dyson can make the buyer whole again by exchanging the defective dyson for a new one, at no expense. 

I would expect and anticipate that a muti-billion dollar vacuum company selling $500 priced products, and prides itself on employing 500 engineers and spending millions of dollars yearly on R & D costs, would replace a defective product with a new one without hesitation.   

Carmine D. 

CarmineD

Reply #33   Jan 7, 2008 8:26 pm
Motorhead wrote:

Speaking of that, I noticed the closeout on the DC07/14 in Target as well; they're dropping the two (with the exception of the pink breast cancer DC07) to carry the DC17 Absolute and DC18 Slim uprights.

-MH

Is Target the only retailer scrubbing the DC07/DC14?  Or, are others following suit?  Or don't you know for sure?  I've heard some rumors from the grapevine about dyson and just wondering if others heard too.

Carmine D.

Replies: 24 - 33 of 121Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42