Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

A question . . .
Original Message   Oct 26, 2007 3:37 pm
Hi,

Who thinks the day will come, and how long will it take, when the "vacuum cleaner" will generally be accepted as just a hole in the wall that we plug a hose into? No more cyclones, water baths or super-duper filtering for alllergy sufferers.  No thought over buying canister or upright and what warranty length is.  No more concerns about cord length or operating noise levels.  I'm not just talking central vacuum system but also of a possible change in our view of practicality.  The day is not that far away when our computers will also be our telephone and TV among other things.  Come to think of it they are now though not widely employed.  Does anyone feel central vacuum systems may one day be provided in apartment buildings and other multiple dwelling as a given as well as in individual private homes?

Thanks,

Venson

This message was modified Oct 26, 2007 by Venson
Replies: 11 - 20 of 42Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
M00seUK

Re: A question . . .
Reply #11   Feb 2, 2009 4:55 pm
While it's possible they exist in some places, I've never seen central vacs advertised as part of a new build or *anybody* here in the UK having them as part of their house.
CarmineD

Reply #12   Feb 3, 2009 7:00 am
It seems CVS are more popular in Canada than the USA.  With the housing market tanking, builders and contractors will look to reduce amenities, like CVS, to make new houses more affordable.  Once the economy turns around and heads up [years], more likely to see the extras added back to new homes.

Cordless technologies will cement portables and standalone vacuums as permament fixtures for the future.

Carmine D.

Trebor

Reply #13   Feb 3, 2009 8:35 am
Carmine,

I think you are correct about cordless technologies. They may well be the future of portable vacs.

dusty

Reply #14   Feb 3, 2009 9:53 am
From a Canadian stand point, at least in our area pretty much any house that is being built gets a rough in for a central vacuum. It is generally no longer an option but a standard feature.

Dusty
Venson

Reply #15   Feb 3, 2009 10:26 am
Yeah guys . . but do you think a central vacuum system would or would not be a practical choice for an entire multiple-dwelling facility like an apartment building or even a hotel?  Not everybody lives in a private home. 

All the scenarios that come to mind strike me as expensive and therefore would not be of much interest to the average developer.  Dishwashers and other electrical amenities, type as usuallly supplied, can be gotten cheaply by developers and contractors but, though it can be done, costs to accommodate the installation of a central vacuum system for not one but many families  is another story.

Venson
Just

Reply #16   Feb 3, 2009 5:44 pm
The reason I wouldn't see a CVS working in a multi-unit dwelling is: 

Have you ever seen how some people live?  The same people that would use a Kirby to try to drain the kids pool are the same ones that would use the apartment's CVS system to clean the fish bowl.  These are the same people that let the dog go poo on the new carpet and then try to suck it all up and make it go away with a communial vacuum.  YUCK, just YUCK.  But you repair guys out there know it happens.

CarmineD

Reply #17   Feb 3, 2009 7:19 pm
Can you imagine the insides of some CVS used to clean up restaurants?  Yuckus! 

Carmine D.

dusty

Reply #18   Feb 3, 2009 8:14 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Can you imagine the insides of some CVS used to clean up restaurants?  Yuckus! 

Carmine D.

Been there, serviced those, haven't eaten there again.  Blah!

Dusty
CarmineD

Reply #19   Feb 4, 2009 7:18 am
The worse of the worse.  Some fastidious diners won't eat somewhere until they check out the cleanliness of the restrooms.  I say, first check out the vacuums!

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #20   Feb 4, 2009 8:50 am
Just wrote:
. . .  The same people that would use a Kirby to try to drain the kids pool are the same ones that would use the apartment's CVS system to clean the fish bowl . . .

Thanks Just.  That was priceless AND I believe it.

Venson
Replies: 11 - 20 of 42Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42