Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Halo casts its "bread" upon the waters . . .

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

Halo casts its "bread" upon the waters . . .
Original Message   Oct 26, 2007 1:46 pm
Howdy all,

Per a New York Times story,  Halo ( http://www.gethalo.com ), the upright vacuum with the bug and germ killing UV light, as of last week has committed to a 20 million dollar advertising push over the next year in behalf of the new UV-ST model.  This is a little less than half of what Hoover shells out in the same time window.  The Halo UV-ST -- a fan-in-dirt- stream upright -- is priced at $499. 

The interesting part of the effort is that this may well be merely word play. Phil Smith who is president of BooneOakley, the firm devising the add campaign, states that, "Any vacuum, by Dyson, Hoover, Bissell, can't kill germs while it vacuums.  We're not going after any maker or model.  We don't see any competition."  An ambitious approach but to the best of my knowledge, though UV technology is used for disinfecting water and for sterilization, Halo has not put forth bona fide test results as to how well its product actually works in regard to rug cleaning or disinfecting.

Here's the link to the story but please note that you may have to apply for a free subscription to view it -- http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/26/business/media/26adco.html    Interested consumers may also call 866-638-4256 and request an owners manual.

Best,

Venson

This message was modified Oct 26, 2007 by Venson
Replies: 1 - 63 of 63View as Outline
mole

Re: Halo casts its "bread" upon the waters . . .
Reply #1   Nov 2, 2007 10:49 am
Hi Venson, I would think that at this price range,and the venue that where this cleaner is sold [big box stores].This is going to be a tuff sell to the consumer.The sales staff had better be at the top of their game.......

MOLE

Venson

Reply #2   Nov 7, 2007 5:58 pm
Hi Mole,

I do so very totally agree.  I went back to the Halo web site to re-review what I'd seen and gee they seem to bank an awful lot on our taking their word.  They have a video "testimonial" by an entimologist who talks a lot but tells you little as far as actual percentages as are concerned. To merely tell me that over time I may imagine the dust mite population in my carpeting will be reduced only tells me that I may also imagine my leg is being pulled.

It's my plan to learn to what degree UV light is used for sanitization purposes in hospitals.  By the way, if UV light is used in tanning parlors would this mean that, like the sun, they also have the ability to promote fading of fabric?

Regards,

Venson

Trilobite

Reply #3   Nov 9, 2007 7:49 pm
Venson wrote:
Howdy all,

"Any vacuum, by Dyson, Hoover, Bissell, can't kill germs while it vacuums...."

Best,

Venson

Reminds me of the 1950's British film "The Green Man" with Alastair Simm and George Cole. George cole plays a door to door vacuum saleman

who iterates the virtues of "The Little Wizard" cleaner: "The Little Wizard disinfects, as it beats, as it sweeps, as it cleans..."

Venson

Reply #4   Nov 10, 2007 12:47 am
Hi Trilo,

How have you been?  My irritation with the Halo deal is that the we're being played and not even artfully. There's absolutely no amusement factor when someone with no talent is trying to pull your leg. As I said before, the company needs to establish that the machine quickly makes a significant reduction of the alledged culprits hidden in our rugs and carpets and Halo also needs to show that the machine cleans well.

The dust mite has been with us along and will yet be with us a good while longer.  But lo and behold human race is still here and somehow living even longer today. I don't think that's simply due to vacuum cleaners.  As for the "super bugs", MRSA and the other nasty stuff, the best that can be done beyond keeping self and home as tidy as possible is to attempt to bolster your immune system as best you can. 

I am making an effort to take most of the commercial world's latest scare tactics in stride because when you focus too intently on possible calamity you're less likely to see what's coming at you from the other direction.  I took a lesson from a great lady who spent a long time, in of all places, the ad world --  "Hysteria is a luxury."

Best,

Venson

DysonInventsBig

Reply #5   Nov 12, 2007 3:44 pm
HALO is going to sell a ton of these things.  Their web site is the best (vacuum mfg) site I've seen.   Video online is the best way to tell ones story and they did it. 

Check out my HALO vid.

DIB

This message was modified Nov 12, 2007 by DysonInventsBig

Venson

Reply #6   Nov 12, 2007 8:23 pm
Hi DIB,

But they just turned the machine on and off.  Also, this vacuum, the Halo US-VT does use disposable bags, depite the rather careless and confused pitcher's statement. And then  -- "Your mattress will double in weight in ten years if you don't get rid of your dust mites."  Spouses may double in weight over time but never matresses.  Halo should be suing these people and seeking a court order mandating that they never speak the name again!

This is a standard upright vacuum and the only thing that looks encouraging to me about is the brushroll -- a lot of brush and a little suction can take you a long way. BUT . . .back at the ranch ( http://www.gethalo.com/science/ ) -- good old Doc Needham still commits to nothing concrete about the machine's "nuke" ratio or it's ability to clean well.  They'd be best off by going back to the bowling ball lifting test..  That always helps.

Best,

Venson

Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #7   Nov 12, 2007 9:38 pm
This vacuum cleaner can sell.  All they need to do is promote it on TV, print, etc.  People who are "germ-phobic" will jump at it right away.

It really is not a bad machine.  It performs very well.

See my Review of it.

But like I said in the review, the average person cannot test the effectiveness of the UV-C w/this vacuum cleaner.  
Venson

Reply #8   Nov 12, 2007 10:03 pm
Hi Mike,

I didn't read your review until just now.  Thanks for the effort and I'm glad I was right about the brushroll.  Nonetheless, if its not prepared to come up with numbers re dust mite demise, Halo would do well to emphasize the machines rug cleaning ability which it has not in any of mediums I've seen represented in.  By the way -- does UV light have the ability to cause fading over time.

Thanks,

Venson

mole

Reply #9   Nov 13, 2007 1:40 pm
Hi ,Does anyone know the weight of the vacuum........

MOLE

Venson

Reply #10   Nov 13, 2007 3:24 pm
Hiya Mole,

Per the website it's under 17 pounds.

Venson

DysonInventsBig

Reply #11   Nov 14, 2007 6:49 pm
Hi Venson,

You had me laughing with your commentary - good stuff!  I agree with much and understand your approach/logic.  I do not think new parents are not all to concerned of dust mites but germs!, now you’re talking their language.  Pets and all they deposit onto carpets, need I say more?  Unfortunately there are the sick or allergic that may/may not benefit.  And as Mike said the fearful (germ-phob's).

Looks like the Devil tried playing around with UV. - Their approach was to disinfect inside the vacuum. - A stroke of genius .  I like that an American company (Halo) thinks and had the guts to bring a hopefully useful widget to market. - Good for them!!  American jobs are always a good thing (not mfg but other), some real findings/science would be nice too.

Best Buy has a Halo claims chart > here.

devil patent > http://www.wipo.int/ipdl/IPDL-IMAGES/PATENTSCOPE/69/4a/76/014a76.pdf

Take care,

DIB

This message was modified Nov 14, 2007 by DysonInventsBig

Venson

Reply #12   Nov 18, 2007 2:13 pm
Hi,

Thought I'd submit the following link to Hammacher Sclemmer's site.  There's now a "germ elimination" category in their online catalog. Don't know if this was done prior ti the Halo campaign or after but there they are in all their glory -- evrything from a germ-killing "wand" to a denture container.  I find it a little scary as I wonder what safeguards are in place for the UV-employing devices being sold to make them child-proof.

http://www.hammacher.com/qsearch/default.asp?query=germelimination&promo=homeliving_bug

Best,

Venson

This message was modified Nov 18, 2007 by Venson
Trilobite

Reply #13   Nov 20, 2007 2:02 pm
Hi Venson,

I am fine, thanks.

I had a look at the Halo site, and here are my conclusions.

There appear to be two models, only one of which appears to be a real working model (softbag model). The other (hardbag) model seems to be a 'concept' ; i.e. it doesn't exist, apart from in drawings.

The softbag model looks to me, to be made from a great deal of plastic, including the soleplate area. The agitator does not seem to offer "Brushed Edge Cleaning", merely side suction channels. It appears that the drive belt prevents decent edge cleaning on that side.

The softbag model has tools, the hardbag model doesn't (why not?).

The hose appears to be a short length of 'plastiflex' hose; a triple-stretch hose would have been far more useful.

It is odd that the softbag model has separate motors for suction and agitator, yet belt drive on the (proposed) hardbag model.

The softbag model seems to be based on one of the USA Hoover lightweight models, from a few years ago.

Venson

Reply #14   Nov 20, 2007 3:59 pm
Hi Trilo,

Check out Mike's post on the "Reviews" page here.  The Halo V-ST performs well on carpeting and is not sensational but adequate above the floor.  (By the way, it does have a stretch hose.)  Also, there is not the usual belt drive but gears that drive the brushroll by way of that second motor.

Those two points alone might begin to prove enough to stimlulate a possible buyer's desire to investigate but neither is what the manufacturer is pitching.  The selling angle remains the UV light feature.  Gotta get those germs. 

Due to price, an attachment kit is called for just to make the purchase seem a sensible one.  I should mention that the UV-ST is a follow-up of Halo's UVX model and the star in Halo's crown for the present.  I'd imagine the soft bag style allows more filtration area.all around than the hard-bodied version.

Regards,

Venson

Trilobite

Reply #15   Nov 20, 2007 5:21 pm
I still find it odd that a softbag model is touted as being the superior machine.

Traditionally in the UK, the softbagged models were always the lesser machines from the 1980's onwards. (Hoover Turbopower softbag, Hoover Turbopower hardbag, Hoover Turbopower Autoflex, etc).

Anyway, I wonder if, now that TTI own Hoover USA, a Hoover branded robotic cleaner will make an appearance?

DysonInventsBig

Reply #16   Nov 23, 2007 6:10 pm

Hello guys,

The HALO vacuum made another television appearance today, which I uploaded for your viewing.  HereVenson, thanks for the UV link (above).

DIB

This message was modified Nov 23, 2007 by DysonInventsBig

Moderator Mike_W

"There is no BEST or PERFECT vacuum cleaner"

"Take care of your vacuum, then your vacuum will take care of you"

Reply #17   Nov 23, 2007 9:02 pm
Trilobite wrote:
I still find it odd that a softbag model is touted as being the superior machine.

This "soft bag" upright still has very good filtration, because it uses a "hepa type" bag, plus a high filtration outer bag.  A "fan-first" deigned vacuum cleaner can still be a great contender if it is designed well.
Vacuuman

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Reply #18   Nov 23, 2007 11:50 pm
Interesting, the design seems to have changed since the original. 
DysonInventsBig

Reply #19   Dec 19, 2007 2:21 am
  <  Researchers suspect that a vacuums beater brush beats more that carpeting...  it beats fleas to death too.  Here.        DIB

Venson

Reply #20   Dec 19, 2007 7:10 am
Hi,

I wonder if the findings will set the folks at Halo to shaking in their shoes.  Has any actual information regarding Halo sales been made since the launch of the new campaign?  Anyway . . .

Though this sounds like something as sweet and simple as getting run over by a lawn mower, they didn't make mention of what to do for the ones you miss.  Fleas, though tiny, are fast and can leap far in comparison to their sze. I wouldn't want to have to high-tail it after one around my living room with just a Hoover and my glasses. 

As well, by the time you become aware that these itty-bitty unwanted guests have come to call there are usually far too many to merely sweep away. I know that larger insects like house flies and the common roach can often survive a trip through a straight suction vacuum but the trip might prove even easier for a tiny flea .  The fan-in-dirt-stream upright is more the sure killer as everything it inhales collides with its spinning fan blades as well as the revolving brush.  Two points for Halo.  As for the UV light, I want to believe it really is killing the little buggers and not just giving them suntans.

Your picture of the "creature" reminded me of a summer of fun I once had with my dear long departed dog Calvin after we took a fateful trip to the park across the street. I was a bit supicious of flea collars due to worries over needlessly exposing him to harmful chemical compounds.  So there we sat, man and beast as one -- in that we were both scratching.  Nothing solved the flea invasion in my apartmentt except insectide and a special shampoo for the pup.  The vacuum method would have required more time than I was prepared to wait. -- or itch.

Regards,

Venson

mole

Reply #21   Dec 19, 2007 9:51 am
Venson,your sense of humor really makes me wonder why your not a comedian. As far as the HALO vacuum the problems will come to surface as soon as an object blows off one of the fan blades,THE VIBRATION WILL CAUSE MOTOR DAMAGE AND MOST LIKELY TAKE THE U-V BULB OUT ALSO,under warranty NO,This comes under misuse and negligence..........

MOLE

DysonInventsBig

Reply #22   Dec 19, 2007 1:39 pm

Hello,

"Science or Spin”? -  View the Halo Vacuum press release here.  The Halo PR video seems a bit deceiving with their self produced "News Update".  This "fake news update" as well as some other claims (science or spin?) and/or play on words has made me loose respect and support for an American startup and their innovation (however large or small this innovation may be).        DIB

Note:  Halo says they are spending $20m on marketing and they want to grow to be a $200m company.

This message was modified Dec 19, 2007 by DysonInventsBig

Motorhead

Reply #23   Dec 19, 2007 4:25 pm
Hi DIB,

Great, interesting article, I never knew that the brush action of the vacuum would kill fleas.  I always heard that there was some possibility of the fleas being alive in the bag (and worse, reproducing!).  Glad to know that's not true, at least for motorized-brush machines anyway.  Now I wonder about the possible effects UV light has on fleas? 

Hi Mole,

You bring up an good point about fan-first machines.  I've heard stories before about picking up objects with disastrous results, one in particular stands out, told to me by someone who has a cleaning business.  He was vacuuming a client's house with an 80's Eureka Widetrack upright, and didn't notice the penny on the floor.  Not only did it break the fan, but the sheer force caused it to go all the way through the plastic fan chamber and out the headlight lens, breaking the headlight bulb in the process!  It's a miracle it didn't fly out any other direction and hit him, which it could have very well done, knowing how powerful those 7-amp Eurekas (or Sanitaires) are.  According to what he told me, all of a sudden there was a loud "BANG!" and the machine stopped dead in its tracks.  Looking closer he noticed the hole in the headlight lens and the penny on the ground...and you can see where it went from there ;-)

So it seems there's always the possibility of picking up a hard object with the Halo and having it hit "just right"...it could very well take out the UV lights underneath!

Take care all,
Motorhead
This message was modified Dec 19, 2007 by Motorhead
Venson

Reply #24   Dec 19, 2007 8:45 pm
Re the flea beating article it should be mentioned that Dr. Glen Needham --  named in the article -- is one of the guys who gave his "professional" view on the Halo website.  Had this article come from anywhere else I might buy into it. 

Here is the link to the video page at Halo -- http://www.gethalo.com/science/

Venson

This message was modified Dec 19, 2007 by Venson
Venson

Reply #25   Jan 11, 2008 3:41 pm
Hi all,

The Halo people are indeed forging ahead.  I checked out the Sears website today and, yep indeedy, Sears is now carrying the new improved Halo at standard price, $499.99. I'm not only surprised but a little bit impressed.  Gotta give 'em an "E" for effort.

Best,

Venson

This message was modified Jan 11, 2008 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #26   Jan 11, 2008 4:06 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi all,

The Halo people are indeed forging ahead.  I checked out the Sears website today and, yep indeedy, Sears is now carrying the new improved Halo at standard price, $499.99. I'm not only surprised but a little bit impressed.  Gotta give 'em an "E" for effort.

Best,

Venson

Hello Venson et al:

Also are available at Bed Bath and Beyond and Best Buy.  The mantra is "Hello Halo, Goodbye Germs."   Claims to be the "World's only germ-killing vacuum."   The trade name is in small letters, copying dyson, with a "halo" over the O [nice touch].   The halo vacuum is pictured in ads with a dark background and the machine is tilted back and up off the ground.  This angle shows the underside of the vacuum.  Prominently displayed is the ultraviolet blue light wich casts a light and shadow of the vacuum on a dark mirrored floor surface [also a nice touch].  Interestingly, halo went with a paper bag rather than a bagless dirt container.   Telephone: 1.877.TRY.HALO and Web Site is gethalo.com

Halo advertises in specialty magazines like REAL SIMPLE-life made easy-.  A magazine that reviews best buys, smartest, most useful products for :  Home; Fashion; Cooking; Beauty; and Health.  The January 2008 edition is on US magazine stands for $4.50.  Web Site: www.realsimple.com

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 11, 2008 by CarmineD
vacomatic

Reply #27   Jan 19, 2008 12:38 am
Yes Halo is at Best  Buy  (my part time job there lets me keep track of it).  So far, very few have sold.  The price is very high compared to other vacs on the BB shelves and the Halo feels downright cheap compared to the other models Best Buy carries.    Also, how long does the UV light have to shine on the critters it's supposed to kill?  If it needs several seconds to do its work, what will that do to the carpet?  Will the user enjoy vacuuming ----v---e----r----y-----------s----l----o----w----l-----y so the light can do its job?
CarmineD

Reply #28   Jan 19, 2008 7:41 am
vacomatic wrote:
Yes Halo is at Best  Buy  (my part time job there lets me keep track of it).  So far, very few have sold.  The price is very high compared to other vacs on the BB shelves and the Halo feels downright cheap compared to the other models Best Buy carries.  

Unfortunately, halo is marketing its vacuums following dyson's lead.  High prices and big box retailer sales venue.  This marketing strategy served dyson well over the last 5 years because of remarkable timing.  And BEST BUY which convinced jaydee to make the plunge in the USA market before he was ready. 

The economy today is not what it was in 2002 when the housing market was experiencing the beginnings of an upside growth which continued for several years.  Thanks to the subprime slime.  Halo could not have chosen a worse time to launch in terms of the economy, housing market, and credit market.  Halo will sell as a niche vacuum to "germaphobics."  I find it very telling and insightful that the halo, a vacuum which kills and captures germs by use of a UV light, uses a bag dirt containment system not bagless bin.  I'm sure Consumer Reports will make mention of this.

In today's economy all the high priced vacuum products in the big box retailers will suffer sales declines.  Not just halo.  If halo is resigned to a niche market it should do okay.  High priced vacuum sales in the big box stores have already declined and the 2007 Holiday sales season was the tip off.  Most retailers are culling their vacuum inventories especially the older out-of-date high cost models in favor of cheaper brands.  Why?  They sell quicker.  And, the expense for returns and refunds is not as ominous with the most expensive brands.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jan 19, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #29   Feb 4, 2008 5:21 pm
At one SEARS store in North Las Vegas, not one halo upright vacuum has been sold in a month, despite the fact that the manufacturer offers a $25 commission for each one a sales person sells.  It does get the end cap position too along with the Sears Permalite.

I noticed that I had a tendency to shut the halo off during use.  Why?  The on-off switch is located on the front outside bottom of the ergonomic handle grip.  The trigger switch to activate the UVC light is behind the on-off switch where your hand's fingers clutch the handle grip during use.  As you push and pull the vacuum during use, if you place your thumb straight down pointing toward the the vacuum [the usual position of your thumb and your hand during use], it will engage the on-off switch.  

No turbo tool.  For the price, it should have one on-board.  

Carmine D.

This message was modified Feb 4, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #30   Feb 4, 2008 5:36 pm
Hi Carmione,do you feel the price has anything to do with it?. Or is the public finally catching on?

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #31   Feb 4, 2008 5:47 pm
Hi Mole:

Good question.  The problem, based on talking with the SEARS vacuum products' specialists, is too high a price.  I would agree.  My sense is that halo will up the commissions in hope of jump starting sales and/or aggressively advertising.  When that fails and it will, halo will lower the price.  It's not worth $400-$500, even with the on-board tools.  It might sell better at the $200-$300 range.  But Consumer Reports may have nailed the coffin shut on it by its recent review.  Apparently, the vacuum can't do what vacuums do:  Pick up dirt.  It's destined to be a niche product [IMHO] for germaphobes, if the company can improve its vacuum performance and when the price comes down.

This is a bad time for a high price big box vacuums like halo.  Why?  Recession fears by retailers and consumers.  High unemployment numbers.  Credit crunch.  Sub prime slime effects with huge number of house foreclosures.  Poor 2007 Holiday season retailers' sales with predictions of poor sales through 2008.  All working against halo.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Feb 4, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #32   Feb 4, 2008 5:54 pm
Hi Carmine,are you saying they are trying to market it as something that it cant do,[FALSE CLAIMS] .I wonder what play book they took that from.

Sounds like they better change their business plan and in a hurry........

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #33   Feb 4, 2008 6:38 pm
mole wrote:
Hi Carmine,are you saying they are trying to market it as something that it cant do,[FALSE CLAIMS] .I wonder what play book they took that from.

MOLE

Funny you should ask.  A long and interesting discussion with the SEARS product specialists about the dyson claim:  Never clogs.  Apparently, dyson recently put the word out to SEARS to replace all the filters in the store machine demos AND warn buyers/users about the need to keep the filters maintained to ensure the warranty. 

Carmine D.

HARDSELL

Reply #34   Feb 4, 2008 7:45 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Funny you should ask.  A long and interesting discussion with the SEARS product specialists about the dyson claim:  Never clogs.  Apparently, dyson recently put the word out to SEARS to replace all the filters in the store machine demos AND warn buyers/users about the need to keep the filters maintained to ensure the warranty. 

Carmine D.

Sears product specialists must fall in the top 10 list of oxymorons.  Along with has been vac specialists.  I fail to see anything wrong with a manufacturer recommending that a seller instruct customers on proper care of the product.  Alternately this could be devastating if a customer knew all the maintenance needed to keep non Dyson vacs running properly.

For the record,  I have never had a Dyson to clog.

This message was modified Feb 4, 2008 by HARDSELL
CarmineD

Reply #35   Feb 5, 2008 7:13 am

Hello HARDSELL:

I think you miss the points of the exchanges.  The oxymorons are dyson reps and dyson's disengenuous [read false, misleading, wrong, erroneous] claim that it would not clog.  You know this claim was the laughing stock of the vacuum industry for almost 5 years, including SEARS vacuum product specialists. 

Fast forward:  It took a class action by disgruntled dyson owners [36 whose dyson experiences with clogged filters contradict yours] and appropriate industry warnings to make dyson cease with the false claims in literature and cartons. 

BUT, on a serious note, all new US dysons now have the Asthma and Allergy Foundation Endorsement [isn't that the same one bestowed on the now infamous Ionic Breeze?].  The cert is valid with one minor exception:  When dumping the dirt bin.  It's recommended that users wear a dirt mask when performing this task.  Failure to do so, may result in serious health hazards and even death!  Wow.  Now that's some serious and necessary maintenance. 

Always enjoy taking you on.  I love retirement how about you?

Carmine D.

This message was modified Feb 5, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #36   Apr 16, 2008 1:30 pm
My sense is the high priced halo will soon be discounted and discontinued.  Too bad many of the big box retailers have already added halo to their slow moving high priced vacuum venue.  Good for consumers.  So much for the halo effect. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 16, 2008 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #37   Apr 16, 2008 3:30 pm
CarmineD wrote:
My sense is the high priced halo will soon be discounted and discontinued.  Too bad many of the big box retailers have already added halo to their slow moving high priced vacuum venue.  Good for consumers.  So much for the halo effect. 

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

Not that I am in love with this machine but I can't see why Halo cut its own throat by way of pricing. Besides no one really knowing this company, there was already a prior model -- same germ killing idea -- that nobody was knocking down the door to the store for when the new one came out. 

I think the maker would have fared better by suggesting a lower, more sensible price. They might have gotten away with the original $499 had they been able to plainly state some concrete and worthwhile numbers re the germ and bug killing pitch.  A more attractive first price of $389.00 on this machine would have been much more conducive in getting the public to bite.

Best,

Venson

This message was modified Apr 16, 2008 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #38   Apr 17, 2008 7:23 am
Hello Venson:

According to a WSJ article, April 15, 2008, "Shining a UV Light on Germy Surfaces" Laura Johannes in a Column titled "Aches and Claims" says that the Halo co-owner Ken Garcia says a major market for its vacuums is allergy sufferers.  Halo is beginning a six-month study with academic researchers to determine whether using its vacuum at least once a week can reduce asthma symptoms, compared with a control vacuum.

I haven't seen Halo advertising on this site.  I thought at one time it did.  But I may be mistaken.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 17, 2008 by CarmineD
Venson

Reply #39   Apr 17, 2008 11:18 am
Hi Carmine,

Happy Thursday.  There they go again.  Studies?  Again? By whom?  The last academic they used was the one they paid -- at Ohio whatever I believe.  He was not only in a video at the Halo website, he was quoted in press releases posed as "news stories".

If they actually do studies again the only thing that will save their bacon is to clearly arrange them through a non-partial/buyable source who can quote clear percentages. 

Best,

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #40   Apr 17, 2008 12:11 pm
Hi Venson:

My sense is that Halo is groping for ways to jump start sales on its vacuum.  But it's too late. Maybe halo will make a pitch for asthma sufferers hoping it can keep the price high by targeting a specific market.  Which only means to me that it should never have gone the big box retail sales route. 

We see in another thread that Mr. Dyson is using this strategy with the new DDM DC23.   I hope he has some enticing deals because indy dealers are in the proverbial cat bird seat now.   With lots of competition in bagless and bagged uprights and canisters [including now with word of Miele launches], dyson is not the only game in town anymore.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Apr 17, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #41   May 1, 2008 6:21 pm
Kohl's is selling the halo for $399, brand new in the box before discounts.  How low will it go!

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 1, 2008 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #42   May 21, 2008 2:07 am
CarmineD

Reply #43   May 21, 2008 8:00 am
Hello DIB:

Not surprising that BISSELL went after the halo claim.  Venson was the first to point out and post an article here saying that most conventional uprights kill rug germs.  I posted some too from scientists and researchers saying the same.  This directly contradicts the halo claim which was the big selling point for sales for germaphobics. 

Halo rode the false claim for a short while with sales.  But the halo sales hit a brick wall after the latest news [and probably economic conditions].  Halo retailers have dropped their prices.  Halo CEO has summoned a new study to show that the halo is better for allergy/asthma sufferers.  A spin-off from their original claim.  I presume the findings, if favorable, are hoped to jump start sales.  I have my doubts.

Carmine D.

This message was modified May 21, 2008 by CarmineD
DysonInventsBig

Reply #44   Jul 7, 2008 10:25 pm
CarmineD

Reply #45   Jul 8, 2008 7:32 am
Hey DIB:

Thanks DIB.  Proves the point I made.  NAD/FTC is raising the bar and enforcing higher advertising standards on claims made by vacuum makers.  Even against each other.  Let alone a consumer[s].

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 8, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #46   Jul 8, 2008 9:50 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hey DIB:

Thanks DIB.  Proves the point I made.  NAD/FTC is raising the bar and enforcing higher advertising standards on claims made by vacuum makers.  Even against each other.  Let alone a consumer[s].

Carmine D.

OH NO, they are actually forcing these wanna-be lets make a quick buck,FEARMONGERS , WERE HERE TO SAVE YOUR LIFE,AND MAKE YOU SAFER,advertise as James would say PROPERLY.

THESE ARE THE GUYS AT THE TOP OF THE FAKE AND MISLEADING [CLAIMS] they are going to be exposed and rightfully so.BUT THE BAG WAS HOPELESSLY CLOGGED,,SHOULD OF SAID AFTER A POUND AND A HALF OF PLASTER DUST.................

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #47   Jul 8, 2008 12:41 pm
Hello MOLE Man:

Unchallenged claims pave the way for others to imitate and follow, including halo.  [You go ORECK].  FTC/NAD can't let these bogus claims go on without action.  Why?  Because the claims get consecutively unrealistic and unbelievable.  Each company trying to top the one before.

BTW, the CEO of halo Mr. Garcia is paying for a new study to prove that regular use of the halo is beneficial to asthma and allergy sufferers vice using all the other uprights on the market.  The key word is "paid."  Tell me what you want, and I'll give it to you.  Here's the invoice for my services.  Thank you very much.  Call me if you need me again.  Halo is trying to push the liability on a third party.  Won't work.  Halo is liable for the claims regardless of who does the studies for it.  As long as halo pays the bill for it.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #48   Jul 31, 2008 1:15 am
Hmm . . . if dust mite's could read . . .

I just happened to check out Costco's website a few minutes ago.  That bug slaying/germ zapping UV marvel of a device, Halo, is being offered for a remarkable $179.00.   I wonder what that says. 

As in "Would a rose by any other name smell as sweet," "Would a vacuum at any other price below the substantial 500-buck price tag it started out with look like less of a rip-off.  As i mulled that over, the next logical question obviously appeared to be, "Is Halo going to go belly up?  And the next logical step was to of course take a gander at the company website -- http://www.gethalo.com

There is basically nothing there except a link if you need to buy bags and a video of a "news" feature that I did not stop to view.  Wonder if they were able to pay off the many millions they claimed to have committed to for their launch campaign.  as always, you live . . . you learn. 

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #49   Jul 31, 2008 6:48 am
Hi Venson:

It didn't succeed on a variety of fronts.  It's marketing strategy [scare tactics about germs and health] is not amenable to most US consumers.  It's claim that it was the only vacuum that killed germs was exaggerated and proven false by medical and scientific research [you posted the data].  In a complaint lodged by BISSELL against halo with the FTC, saying the claim was false, BISSELL won.  Halo was told to cease and desist.  The price of $499 with a $50/more kick back to the retailer/seller was too pricey, vice other big box store vacuums, for a basic vacuum with a UV-C light added.  Especially as a chinese made vacuum with a one year warranty.

The CEO of halo, Mr. Garcia, is taking new tact with his $499 UV-C upright:  That it's better for allergy and asthma users if used regularly.  Sounds like retreat and regroup.  Garcia commissioned a study to develop findings and results to support the latest claim.  Haven't heard the results yet.  I can only imagine. 

Throw in a bad US economy for consumer goods with falling retail sales of high priced specialty items, high gas and high food prices, the housing and mortgage crises, and halo was destined to die a natural death.  It's a goner save a niche vacuum in specialty stores for germaphobes. 

$179 sounds about right for the halo price.  I suggest Garcia take another route with halo.  Scrub the UV-C light altogether.  Change the name, market as a lightweight bagged upright with excellent filtration, and tools on board, for less than $200.  He'll sell them all.

MOLE, you called this one right early on.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 31, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #50   Jul 31, 2008 7:35 am
CarmineD wrote:
Hi Venson:

$179 sounds about right for the halo price.  I suggest Garcia take another route with halo.  Scrub the UV-C light altogether.  Change the name, market as a lightweight bagged upright with excellent filtration, and tools on board, for less than $200.  He'll sell them all.

MOLE, you called this one right early on.

Carmine D.

Hi Venson,And Carmine

You ought to be charging for your information, This is MAYBE a cleaner worth 179.00, Trust me its still profitable for both HALO and the box stores.

The problem that comes to the forefront is, When a consumer is TAGGED for 500.00 plus for a vacuum that only lasts maybe 3 or 4 years before MAJOR parts breakage and service thats almost extinct, it really turns them away from spending the price for a cleaner thats 500.00 and up again,And you know i really cant blame them.Like you say get me once shame on you get me twice shame on me,
No matter what you say or do you are not going to change their minds,

After getting burnt [you can fill in your brand here] they figure that the cleaners are all the same and the industry as a whole is a sham . Please start something for fair and honest marketing and forget about corporate greed and all for me and the heck with you,

Sincerely

THE-MOLE
Venson

Reply #51   Jul 31, 2008 8:14 am
mole wrote:

After getting burnt [you can fill in your brand here] they figure that the cleaners are all the same and the industry as a whole is a sham . Please start something for fair and honest marketing and forget about corporate greed and all for me and the heck with you,

Sincerely

THE-MOLE

Hi Mole,

"Fair" being a key word here, it couldn't have been said better.

Thanks,

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #52   Jul 31, 2008 4:36 pm
Ken Garcia and his halo should have went the lightweight upright route first for $200 and transitioned into the retailers with a solid winner.  Halo then could have added the UV-C light and upped the ante.  Halo would still be a viable, on-going concern and flourishing.  Instead halo is probably a goner:  Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

So much for one of the prognostications here that said "HALO is going to sell a ton of these things" due to the fancy schmancy web site.  Consumers know a con when they see/hear it regardless of the media venue. 

Here lies halo, may it RIP.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Jul 31, 2008 by CarmineD
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #53   Aug 5, 2008 10:24 am
Halo is now selling at costco.com for $180 with shipping. 

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11299638

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
CarmineD

Reply #54   Aug 7, 2008 6:45 am
Severus wrote:
Halo is now selling at costco.com for $180 with shipping. 

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11299638

Hello Severus:

Probably worth the price tho I expect the halo prices to get reduced further.  Also comes with 3 HEPA filter bags.  I want to take a closer look at the bag and how it is mounted.  Wondering if it uses a cardboard collar that locks into a plastic docking bag holder.  With a rubber seal and/or dirt trap on the bag opening. 

The NAD/FTC provided the nails for the halo coffin.  Up to this point, the consumer magazines like Consumer Reports and Better Homes and Gardens were non-committal about the performance of the halo and did not support its claims with zeal.  CR said that halo was only so so for pet hair pick up and didn't like the less expensive halo model [MSRP of $400] because it lacked tools on board.  The consumer magazines shyed away from testing the halo claims [about killing germs] and supporting these with enthusiam, probably due to the complaint lodged by BISSELL.  And the flurry of medical and scientific evidence that followed the halo launch which proved most vacuums with brush rolls are just as effective for killing germs.  I'm not sure about Good Housekeeping.  Can't recall if it covered and or granted its seal to halo.  I think not.

In hindsight, Garcia's marketing and budget were flawed.   $20 Million was not nearly enough.  He should have marketed the model with the UV-C light in specialty stores specifically for allergy and asthma users.  At the high price [$400-$500].  While marketing a less expensive version without the UV light for $200 in the big box retailers.  Both would have been niche markets he could capitalize on.  The former for the germaphobes and the latter for vacuum buyers looking for a lightweight with tools on board. 

If halo followed this road, it would not have had to make such an exaggerated claim [read false] for germ killing in order to compete for vacuum sales among the big box retailers.  The $20 Million earmarked for halo advertising, a puny amount for a new product and brand name launch, would have been better served with this sales and marketing venue.  Halo would have fared better.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Aug 7, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #55   Aug 7, 2008 8:55 am
You nailed it Carmine, it just goes to prove that the box stores are not the venue for vacuums that cost over 200.00,

MOLE

DysonInventsBig

Reply #56   Aug 16, 2008 5:42 pm
CarmineD wrote:
Ken Garcia and his halo should have went the lightweight upright route first for $200 and transitioned into the retailers with a solid winner.  Halo then could have added the UV-C light and upped the ante.  Halo would still be a viable, on-going concern and flourishing.  Instead halo is probably a goner:  Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

So much for one of the prognostications here that said "HALO is going to sell a ton of these things" due to the fancy schmancy web site.  Consumers know a con when they see/hear it regardless of the media venue. 

Here lies halo, may it RIP.

Carmine D.

Carmine,

Pulling my old quotes and pulling them out of context to bait me is funny, pathetic or both.  And leaving out my later posts where I began to doubt Halo’s unnecessary and crazy claim’s.  Leaving out the fact that I do research this industry and am the only poster here to post twice of NAD findings/judgments in regards to Halos advertising, this too is funny, pathetic or both.  It is boring for me to correct you all the time, from here on I will simply call your falsehoods or misquotes of me lies, ok?

Good luck securing $20 - $50 million from investors with your tired commodity proposal. – A $200 lightweight vacuum that is “built with off the shelf, in the public domain parts and designs”. - Basically a non-proprietary nothing.        DIB 

This message was modified Aug 16, 2008 by DysonInventsBig

CarmineD

Reply #57   Sep 11, 2008 8:38 am
Consumer Reports October 2008 ratings for the halo UVX [w/o attachments] were decent.  Good for carpets and pet hair.  Excellent for barefloors and emissions.  Retail price shows $370 which is no longer the price.  COSTCO as well as other retailers price the top of the line halo [UV-ST with the attachments on board] for $179 which includes free shipping and 3 paper bags.  Probably a decent buy at the price. 

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11299638&whse=BC&Ne=5000001+4000000&eCat=BC|103|4716&N=4000044%204294905087&Mo=0&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

The down side with any halo purchase is the prospect of future service/parts support.  Vacuum buyers/users: Roll the dice and take your chances.  Collectors:  Here's your chance to own a small piece [very tiny] of vacuum history.

Next on the Ken Garcia's agenda: Sell the halo UV-C rights to a competitor and fade into oblivion.  If there are any takers.  And surprisingly, even in this bad retail market, there may be a few.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Sep 11, 2008 by CarmineD
CarmineD

Reply #58   Sep 29, 2008 7:08 am
According to the latest studies reported by Good Housekeeping in its October 2008 magazine,  despite heroic housekeeping efforts made by many asthma and allergy sufferers to get rid of dust mites, those microscopic bugs that inhabit beds and bedding, nothing helps.

Now they can relax, say researchers who reviewed 54 studies involving 3000 asthma patients, and found that no special treatments, covering beds with mite-proof casings, vacuuming with special machines, or frequent washing in scalding water, eliminated enough of the bugs to make a difference.  Even when people reduced dust mites alot (and that was the case in only some of the studies reviewed), asthma symptoms didn't improve.

Study leader, Dr. Peter Gotzsche, advises: "Just keep your house clean."

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #59   Sep 29, 2008 8:50 am
CarmineD wrote:
According to the latest studies reported by Good Housekeeping in its October 2008 magazine,  despite heroic housekeeping efforts made by many asthma and allergy sufferers to get rid of dust mites, those microscopic bugs that inhabit beds and bedding, nothing helps.

Now they can relax, say researchers who reviewed 54 studies involving 3000 asthma patients, and found that no special treatments, covering beds with mite-proof casings, vacuuming with special machines, or frequent washing in scalding water, eliminated enough of the bugs to make a difference.  Even when people reduced dust mites alot (and that was the case in only some of the studies reviewed), asthma symptoms didn't improve.

Study leader, Dr. Peter Gotzsche, advises: "Just keep your house clean."

Carmine D.

Thanks Carmine ,Venson, and the non fearmongers,We have been saying this for a long time now, Lets see how the industry puts a new spin on indoor air pollution, my vote would be for the more dust blowby the better,our new technology has been proven by independent testing labs,that when you drown the dust mites in dirt and  airborne particulates that the MITES become all happy and live by themselves in an obscure place in the home,thus reducing the threat to humans and animals..

Heres a  very enlightening approach, clean your house once in a while.............

MOLE

Venson

Reply #60   Sep 29, 2008 12:44 pm
Well said MOLE. Well said.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #61   Sep 29, 2008 7:41 pm
" A Clean Home is a Healthy Home." 

I used it in 1949 before BISSELL.

Carmine D.

mole

Reply #62   Oct 8, 2008 9:25 am
THE  ''HALO'' IS AT 139.95 ON EBAY,OFFERED BY THE DEAL MONGER...............HOW LOW WILL THEY GOOOOOOOOOOO..........

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #63   Oct 8, 2008 2:31 pm
By the Holiday season: $99.

Carmine D.

Replies: 1 - 63 of 63View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42