Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > No sign of any New Dyson Vacuum yet!

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

No sign of any New Dyson Vacuum yet!
Original Message   Aug 1, 2007 3:10 am
Wonder if there are any signs of a new vacuum coming out from Dyson?  I here there is some new product due to launch end of 2007 and early 2008!  Not sure what!

It's about time they launched the Dyson Digital Motor into other vacuums (not just the DC12 in Japan!).  More and more vacuums in the UK are copying the dual and root cyclone technology as well!

The DC14 has had a re-launch into the new colours in the UK:

Dyson DC14DC14 All floorsDC14 AllergyDC14 Animal™

Standard    All Floors   Allergy    Animal

This message was modified Aug 2, 2007 by DC18
Replies: 17 - 26 of 44Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
ukvacfan

Re: No sign of any New Dyson Vacuum yet!
Reply #17   Aug 23, 2007 5:43 pm
Having just joined this forum there are a few things Id like to say regarding Dyson, Sebo and other Dyson copiers.

Ive owned three Dysons in my lifetime; DC01, DC02, DC03. Dyson may have been there with "firsts" and "innovations," but I had to spend an excess of £500 on one Dyson model to be repaired and that was outwith the 2 year guarantee on one of my models. The DC03 brush control was by far the worst upright Ive owned second to an Oreck XL. For starters the brush control is a waste of money. Dyson at the time stated that lifetime meant nothing to pay for in the future. However the Brush Control on most Dyson uprights involve a permanent drive belt which has to be replaced if it breaks by an engineer - or if you are lucky, know the model fully to re-assemble it  but the user manual gives no advice other than to phone engineers and that means a £55 call out charge. The DC02 had the worst filters which kept clogging and after a final repair of £125 gave service in a home which has no pets and copes only with average family households consisting of two children and two parents. The 02 model didnt last however after its motor packed up after a year.

Unlike any other company on the market with the possible exception of Vax's new Zero products, no other company can produce a cyclonic bagless vacuum which has constant suction even after the bin is full and we all know by who. "Dyson copiers," however did not exist until Vax made their Zero range; any other company product uses a mesh or paper filter which traps the dirt, gives us all that same swirly pattern of dirt when it revolves around the bin, but the moment the filter clogs with dirt is the moment the suction is cut. In this respect this is why I respect Dyson for his constant suction/cyclonic application. HOWEVER, UNTIL Dyson produce a whole range of uprights which can:

1) Slide under low furniture without having to whip out the hose.

2) Have a better designed way of removing the floor brush to clean out without disturbing the drive belt.

3) Do away with drive belts altogether.

4) Aren't the most expensive to buy and are quiet in use

5) Are made to a good standard with a good quality track record of high standard componentry...

I shall stick to my uncle's old Sebo X1. It's not classy looking, it takes a big bag and seals the dirt, has filters which actually protect the motor and the bags are cheap to buy as well as being in mass supply. The Sebo uprights don't use a drive belt which have to be replaced either and that's one consumable i dont miss buying for my Dyson uprights. Sure the Dc03 was great at being able to be hung off a door, but the motor hinge got in the way whilst trying to vacuum carpet under low coffee tables. The X range can also be dismantled down into three viable parts which all click lock together so transporting it is easier. I know this because he gave us his 12 year old X1 from being in storage before emigrating to the States and currently has a North American/voltage spec Sebo X4.

So whilst Dyson produces the Slim model (and Ive tried it but Im put off with the bagless idea since it is dirty regardless of the low trapdoor down release system - the shrouds do have to be cleaned once in a while!) and the Bulky Ball upright which use a permanent motor system/permanent drive belt Dyson can do damage all he likes with Sebo being taken to court. The shoe is on the other foot now where Dyson is concerned; once upon a time Dyson was taking Hoover to court over cosmetic/design and application claims; if Dyson wants to be the best, he has to build the best into his designs rather than use a few technological advances over older models in his range.

DC18

Reply #18   Sep 14, 2007 5:49 pm
I thought Dyson had moved away from the belt on his DC15 and DC18 (and motorhead DC21) by using a separate motor and geared drive system on both thoughs model cleaning heads.  They also have easy to remove brush bars from either end!  I have to say I'd prefer the DC03 which was slim and could lie flat to the floor,  no other Dyson Upright has done that since.  Although the DC03 had no power compared to the DC18 Slim which is an excellent machine for its size to weight ratio!  The power out perfroms the DC03!
CarmineD

Reply #19   Sep 18, 2008 7:22 am
During a recent visit to the local COSTCO store in LV, I saw a truck load of new dyson DC14 Animals on pallets.  Not with the vacuums in the designated aisle, but almost center stage of the store.  I didn't count them but must have been 4-5 times [perhaps more] the normal inventory COSTCO stocks for its vacuums.  Price was $399.  I suspect these will still be around during the Holiday Season and discounted.  One was removed from the box and on display.  It appeared to have a broken wand/handle. 

This make/model is not on the COSTCO Web SIte which shows only the DC18, which was not available in the store.

According to the dyson Web Site, the MSRP on this DC14 Animal is $549.  At $399, the discount is $150, or 27 plus percent off the MSRP.

This dyson model hit the USA in the spring of 2003, roughly more than 5 years ago.  This dyson ranks 17th in a field of 36 uprights in the October 2008 Consumer Reports:  The second highest ranking dyson upright according to CR in this go around [behind the DC17 ranked 9th]. 

Carmine D.

This message was modified Sep 18, 2008 by CarmineD
M00seUK

Reply #20   Sep 18, 2008 7:50 am
Do you think it's possible that this $399 price will be discounted further? We have this arrangement in the UK where sale discounted prices have to be sold at the previous ticket price for the 30 days previous.

Possibly the DC14 is being positioned as the new entry level Dyson. Personally, I'd buy this model over the DC07 any day. I'm 6ft 2in and find the handle too high to be practical and at 240v, the suction *too* great.

'Wonder if Dyson has any new product launches before the end of the year? A DC28 upright is rumoured to be working towards production, which suggests DC26 and DC27 have been pegged also. I'd have thought there's been plenty of scope for possible redesigns of the DC16 in the two years since launch, so maybe DC26 will be a logical choice?

Still no robot vac, bah! I'd love to know if that has been mothballed or in continual development. Still waiting for the advances in battery tech to filter through I guess. 
CarmineD

Reply #21   Sep 18, 2008 8:47 am
Hello M00seUK:

IMHO, $399 is becoming the maximum retail price of preference for big box stores for dyson vacuums regardless of dyson model.  I recently posted on another thread that SAM's Stores was offering the DC17 for a regular price of $399.  This is a discount of $150 from the MSRP of $549.  Similar to the DC14 Animal at COSTCO.

From the $399, retail stores will offer sales/discounts/buyer incentives IMHO, especially during the Holiday Season of 2008, already predicted to be dismal.  Why?  It's been a terrible "back to school" sales market among the retailers.  The "back to school sales" figures are generally a precursor of the Holiday Season sales. 

As an example, TARGET stores this week has the DC07 pink for $399.  Plus the buyer gets a $100 Gift Card with purchase.  If a buyer opens a TARGET credit card account too, an additional 10 percent is taken off the purchase.

FWIW: This is the first time in eons that the side banner on the front page of this web site [5 ads] did not include dyson.  Miele takes two spots, Lux Aerus has one [surprise, surprise], HOOVER and Dirt Devil each with one too.  Dyson nothing.  At least for now.  Coincidence?   

Carmine D.

This message was modified Sep 18, 2008 by CarmineD
Motorhead

Reply #22   Sep 22, 2008 4:36 pm
Here's more information I heard last month.  At least 2 new Dysons will be introduced before the end of the year.

First, the DC27.  Dyson's flagship self-propelled upright and also a model intended for commercial use.  The main advertising point for this machine will be that cleans "acres and acres" of carpeting, or homes/buildings of 5,000 square feet or larger.  $799 retail means it won't come cheap, but I can see instances where a machine like this would be perfect...won't clog on that dark, thick, powdery commercial dirt either.  For those large areas it had better have a large bin.

Second, a corded version of the DC16 called the KnuckleDuster, available with or without the Motorhead.  This will have potential and I predict they will sell more of these than the cordless version.  I'll add to this when I hear more, I'm not sure if it is an entirely new model (DCxx) or just another variation of the DC16.

I also heard rumors about the DC22 DDM being introduced to the US market, but I'm not too optimistic at the moment as I had initially heard that the US DC23 would be a DDM-equipped, completely unique machine instead of a glorified DC21 with a slightly more powerful motor and higher filtration.  Wouldn't we all love to see this, if it was introduced here I'd be the first to buy one.  Only time will tell...

-MH
This message was modified Sep 22, 2008 by Motorhead
Venson

Reply #23   Sep 22, 2008 5:14 pm
Motorhead wrote:
Here's more information I heard last month.  At least 2 new Dysons will be introduced before the end of the year.

First, the DC27.  Dyson's flagship self-propelled upright and also a model intended for commercial use.  The main advertising point for this machine will be that cleans "acres and acres" of carpeting, or homes/buildings of 5,000 square feet or larger.  $799 retail means it won't come cheap, but I can see instances where a machine like this would be perfect...won't clog on that dark, thick, powdery commercial dirt either.  For those large areas it had better have a large bin.

Hi MH,

I'll be interested to see both.  I imagine the DC27 won't be of the "ball" design if it is self-propelled.

Best,

Venson

DysonInventsBig

Reply #24   Sep 22, 2008 5:36 pm
Motorhead wrote:
Here's more information I heard last month.  At least 2 new Dysons will be introduced before the end of the year.<BR><BR>First, the DC27.  Dyson's flagship self-propelled upright and also a model intended for commercial use.  The main advertising point for this machine will be that cleans &quot;acres and acres&quot; of carpeting, or homes/buildings of 5,000 square feet or larger.  $799 retail means it won't come cheap, but I can see instances where a machine like this would be perfect...won't clog on that dark, thick, powdery commercial dirt either.  For those large areas it had better have a large bin.<BR><BR>Second, a corded version of the DC16 called the KnuckleDuster, available with or without the Motorhead.  This will have potential and I predict they will sell more of these than the cordless version.  I'll add to this when I hear more, I'm not sure if it is an entirely new model (DCxx) or just another variation of the DC16.<BR><BR>I also heard rumors about the DC22 DDM being introduced to the US market, but I'm not too optimistic at the moment as I had initially heard that the US DC23 would be a DDM-equipped, completely unique machine instead of a glorified DC21 with a slightly more powerful motor and higher filtration.  Wouldn't we all love to see this, if it was introduced here I'd be the first to buy one.  Only time will tell...<BR><BR>-MH

Thanks Motorhead.

DC18

Reply #25   Sep 24, 2008 5:51 pm
Thanks Motorhead for the info.

The DC27 sounds interesting, I wonder if that is just a US model or will be available on the UK market too!  I wonder if the DDM will appear in it which core technology!  Wonder what the DC28 could be upright or cansiter!?  I'm hoping the UK has a much needed replacement to the DC14 in the near future!  Something of a complete re-design!

I did wonder when they were going to use the 'knuckleduster' name and thought it might be a corded version.  My guess it will be a completely new model using maybe the DC26 code! It will be a 'welcomed' addition and I agree will probably sell more then the cordless DC16.   This doesn't really surprise me as people comment how good the DC16 is but doesn't last long on one charge hence the new car charge for the Dc16 so you can use it conitniously in your car!  I wonder if the Knuckleduster will be out before Christmas!

DC18

This message was modified Sep 24, 2008 by DC18
M00seUK

Reply #26   Sep 26, 2008 8:11 am

Great insights Motorhead, thanks.

Can someone explain to me the working of a self propelled vacuum cleaner? Is like an assisted gear arrangement, which makes it easier to push or pull?

The DC27 will be aimed at commercial and residential use? At $799 wouldn't it be a major theft target? Almost certainly using the digital motor, unless the resulting noise level would be too great for long term use.

The KnuckleDuster sounds promising. I've used the DC16 for car cleaning - great performance but the 6min run time makes it a proper race before the red light starts flashing! Drop the battery, add a coiled cord, make it more agile, include a powerhead it could be a winner in this market.

The DDM will likely be fitted to Dyson vacs as a standard part in the near future. But first they'll need to ensure it has proven reliability, reasonable noise levels and reduce the comparable manufacturing cost.

Replies: 17 - 26 of 44Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42