Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > No sign of any New Dyson Vacuum yet!

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

No sign of any New Dyson Vacuum yet!
Original Message   Aug 1, 2007 3:10 am
Wonder if there are any signs of a new vacuum coming out from Dyson?  I here there is some new product due to launch end of 2007 and early 2008!  Not sure what!

It's about time they launched the Dyson Digital Motor into other vacuums (not just the DC12 in Japan!).  More and more vacuums in the UK are copying the dual and root cyclone technology as well!

The DC14 has had a re-launch into the new colours in the UK:

Dyson DC14DC14 All floorsDC14 AllergyDC14 Animal™

Standard    All Floors   Allergy    Animal

This message was modified Aug 2, 2007 by DC18
Replies: 27 - 36 of 44Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
mole

Re: No sign of any New Dyson Vacuum yet!
Reply #27   Sep 26, 2008 10:02 am
Any company that needs to advertise constantly does NOT have a product or service that will attract customers on its own...............

Agree or Dis-agree

MOLE

M00seUK

Reply #28   Sep 26, 2008 10:27 am
mole wrote:
Any company that needs to advertise constantly does NOT have a product or service that will attract customers on its own...............

Agree or Dis-agree

MOLE

Agree. Oreck would be almost nowhere in the consumer space without their advertising spend to reach buyers in the senior category.
They have long perfected their formula. The high margin price (and lifetime replacement costs) allows them just enough advertising spend to reach the next level of buyers and so on.
The other option is to invest the profit in to R&D spend.

Personally, I'd say that the main reason Oreck choose to manufacture in the US is 1) Their high margin allows for the cost 2) Having 'Made in the USA' is a bigger marketing draw for sales than the cost savings that would equate to performing the work elsewhere.
DysonInventsBig

Reply #29   Sep 26, 2008 1:09 pm
Oreck has no patentable technologies or any technologies that any other manufacture wants. Simply put, the Oreck is made with off the shelf parts. 1) Weight and 2) Made In The USA (I agree w/ Moose) are it’s primary selling features. Making a new friend and dragging the Oreck to this new friend (Oreck dealer) for belt changes and tune ups is a selling feature for some, I suppose.

Dyson advertises more than anyone in the USA. I am glad they do, it has kept the incredibly under-whelming vacuum appliance fresh in the publics minds. Of course it is based on patentable technologies that all or near all the worlds “players” (vacuum manufacturers) want. Electrolux is the latest to file a European patent for cyclonic's combined with their (patentable) so-called “self cleaning [pre] filter”. I am sure if other manufacturers actually invented something of any relevance they too would invest in marketing and get the word out on their live changing and/or market changing invention and/or money making inventions. But of course that would be asking to much of billion plus (dollar) corporations.... to give people what they want most {innovations that make life radically better). DIB

CarmineD

Reply #30   Sep 26, 2008 2:04 pm
Dave genuinely enjoys pitching his ORECK name/products nationwide.  Keeps him young.  His joy and entertainment in life.  He's probably the most recognizable face of the household appliance industry.  If he enjoys it, why not?  He's earned the right to be out there front and center with his products, regardless of the expense.  How many people in their 80's have the opportunity and choose to exercise it like Dave?  He's one of kind.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Sep 26, 2008 by CarmineD
Motorhead

Reply #31   Sep 26, 2008 3:15 pm
M00seUK wrote:

Great insights Motorhead, thanks.

Can someone explain to me the working of a self propelled vacuum cleaner? Is like an assisted gear arrangement, which makes it easier to push or pull?

The DC27 will be aimed at commercial and residential use? At $799 wouldn't it be a major theft target? Almost certainly using the digital motor, unless the resulting noise level would be too great for long term use.

The KnuckleDuster sounds promising. I've used the DC16 for car cleaning - great performance but the 6min run time makes it a proper race before the red light starts flashing! Drop the battery, add a coiled cord, make it more agile, include a powerhead it could be a winner in this market.

The DDM will likely be fitted to Dyson vacs as a standard part in the near future. But first they'll need to ensure it has proven reliability, reasonable noise levels and reduce the comparable manufacturing cost.

Hi Moose,

The typical working of a self-propelled cleaner (thinking of the Hoover Dial-A-Matic/Concept drive system to explain here, but Kirby works in a similar fashion) consists of a gearcase, directional control (linkage connecting to the handle), and two sets of pressure plates (right and left).  The shaft is usually driven off of a separate belt from the motor and turns the moving part of the clutch system.  When the handle is pulled back, the linkage engages the pressure plates on one side, transferring the power through the gearcase, and driving the wheels in that direction.  The same happens when the handle is pulled back except it uses the other pressure plate and the wheels are driven in the opposite direction. 

It is my understanding that the DC27's propulsion mechanism will consist of two separate motors and gearcases for each side. 

-MH
DysonInventsBig

Reply #32   Sep 26, 2008 4:12 pm
I do believe Dave Oreck is very good and natural on camera. It is his overuse of adjectives to describe a function that makes him loose some of his natural credibility (take power for example - Dave will use about 4 or 5 different adjectives to describe his vacs power and do it in one sentence). His use of video (clips of his infomercial) and a video greeting of Dave himself (on the front page) is IMO, very good too. Video communicates information the best and I am surprised Dyson (and others) do not take advantage of this medium and host tutorials, demonstrate functions, comparisons, tours of their testing, design studios and bio lab, future school of innovation, etc.

Motorhead said...
It is my understanding that the DC27's propulsion mechanism will consist of two separate motors and gearcases for each side.

Motohead, what is the advantage of separate motors. Thanks.

I just viewed an NBC news special on thieving and many Dyson’s are being stolen from Target and fenced (resold to the highest bidder in the nation) on eBay. An $800 vacuum has got to be tempting for the black-hearted. DIB

Venson

Reply #33   Sep 26, 2008 5:03 pm
DysonInventsBig wrote:
. . .  Video communicates information the best and I am surprised Dyson (and others) do not take advantage of this medium and host tutorials, demonstrate functions, comparisons, tours of their testing, design studios and bio lab, future school of innovation, etc.

I just viewed an NBC news special on thieving and many Dyson’s are being stolen from Target and fenced (resold to the highest bidder in the nation) on eBay. An $800 vacuum has got to be tempting for the black-hearted. DIB

I personally saw a Dyson video center of sorts set up in a big-box store a few years back. An ongoing video loop showed the vacuum in use on floor and above floor and  the video also demonstrated the mannewr in which to empty the machine.  It was helpful but the store apparently let the ball drop by not providing consistant staffing for questions.  I don't know how long it had already been there come my day to view it but it was unmanned on that day.

It appears to be presumed that items sold on eBay are legit. As well, law authorities don't seem to be aggresively pushing for any measures to either better protect consumers or hinder crooks.  Also, this is probably one more nightmare that's more of our own making.  Our culture is seldom left ot feel that "good" is good enough. We are prodded and pushed to always want the newest, "best" and most fashionable thing.  Engineered discontent often leads to disproportionate spending and this is what happens when the ultimate car or pair of sneakers or vacuum cleaner -- sworn to have no match -- are foisted on a public made to feel worth is estimated only in terms of money or the look of money. 

I don't think that buyers of the goods in mention are necessarily the black-hearted sort but merely everyday folks just trying to buy into the American dream at the best price possible.  As we've been learning from recent news, their chances are growing slim.

Venson

CarmineD

Reply #34   Sep 26, 2008 7:27 pm
Venson wrote:
I personally saw a Dyson video center of sorts set up in a big-box store a few years back. An ongoing video loop showed the vacuum in use on floor and above floor and  the video also demonstrated the mannewr in which to empty the machine.  It was helpful but the store apparently let the ball drop by not providing consistant staffing for questions.  I don't know how long it had already been there come my day to view it but it was unmanned on that day.

Venson

Hi Venson:

I recall viewing such a video.  I thought the dirt bin dumping was 'staged' to give a better spin than actual real life. Why?  The lady user had a slightly filled dirt bin primarily with particles/granules of debris and minimal rug dust/dirt.  She held the dirt bin over the trash can and allowed the bin stuff to cascade slowly down into the trash can.  Why?  To prevent the dust cloud from coming back up from the trash can too quickly and forcibly.  As soon as the cloud did begin to rise up, the video panned away from the dumping demo and back to the vacuum in use.

Carmine D.

This message was modified Sep 26, 2008 by CarmineD
mole

Reply #35   Sep 27, 2008 7:10 am
MOOse and D.I.B. your replys are well taken they both hit the mark.

D.I.B please dont take this the wrong way but do you have any real problems with large companies?Is it that large corporations are just some type of money making machine.  unregulated  non performing Ponzi schemes?

MOLE
CarmineD

Reply #36   Sep 27, 2008 7:17 am
Motorhead wrote:
Hi Moose,

...directional control (linkage connecting to the handle), and two sets of pressure plates (right and left).  The shaft is usually driven off of a separate belt from the motor and turns the moving part of the clutch system.  When the handle is pulled back, the linkage engages the pressure plates on one side, transferring the power through the gearcase, and driving the wheels in that direction.  The same happens when the handle is pulled back except it uses the other pressure plate and the wheels are driven in the opposite direction. 

-MH

MH, M00seUK:

Good description of the SP operation. 

With HOOVER, the directional linkage is commonly called the "clutch cable."  HOOVER-s have a button in the handle grip which puts the "transmission" in neutral and allows users to wheel the Power drives/Concepts from room to room without the need for carrying.  A draw back of the SP is that when/if the clutch/transmission are disabled, there was no manual default on the SP vacuum to push and pull easily over the rugs to operate.  It was dead in the water [or should I say carpet?].  And of course in HOOVER's case it added over 5 pounds to the vacuum. 

Carmine D.

Replies: 27 - 36 of 44Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42