Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Easiest Snowblower to Use

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
DBV1

Easiest Snowblower to Use
Original Message   Jan 2, 2014 9:07 am
Hello - I have a two year old Honda 928 and think it is extremely hard to maneuver/use. Are there any other snowblowers that would be easier to use in the 24 to 28 inch range. I would rather shove than use this thing. :)
Replies: 1 - 18 of 18View as Outline
longboat

Re: Easiest Snowblower to Use
Reply #1   Jan 2, 2014 9:24 am
Sell your Honda to someone who appreciates it, and then get a Toro single-stage.  A 621 will handle snows up to a foot, and bigger if you get out there and do some clearing during the storm.
borat

Reply #2   Jan 2, 2014 10:20 am
If you need a dual stage, buy yourself a 24" Ariens , Toro or even a Craftsman.  The smaller dual stage machines are considerably lighter and easier to manage.  I have an eight year old Simplicity 11 h.p. 28" and it's a freaking tank.  The weight of that thing seems almost twice that of my neighbour's new 24" Craftsman (with the same size 305cc engine).  I've used them both side by side and the difference is abundantly obvious.  The 24" Craftsman feels like a toy by comparison but it certainly is more than capable at moving a lot of snow.   I'm actually quite impressed with his little Craftsman. 

A single stage machine is even easier to use and also quite capable.  However, as we all know, if and when we get the heavy accumulation, it's better to have too much machine than not enough.  
DBV1

Reply #3   Jan 2, 2014 10:52 am
I definitely appreciate how well built the Honda is, but don't appreciate how clumsy it is to maneuver. Just checked Consumer Reports and they also rate it below average for ease of use, so guess I am not alone. The Honda is such a well built machine with many positives, but Honda should also make it where it is easier to use. I would downsize to the 24 model, but guessing that will not be any different. I would rather shovel in less than 8 inches of snow than use this thing, which is what I have been doing. :)
MN_Runner

Reply #4   Jan 2, 2014 12:02 pm
DBV1 wrote:
Hello - I have a two year old Honda 928 and think it is extremely hard to maneuver/use. Are there any other snowblowers that would be easier to use in the 24 to 28 inch range. I would rather shove than use this thing. :)

I also have Honda HS928WAS and it is not easy to move around if you have a lot of turns.  This is the reason why bought Honda HS520AS as a companion and it is very light and does excellent job.  I would consider Toro 721 (new single stage mentioned by AA335).  HS928 is a great machine if your driveway is very long and straight.  I weigh 125 lb so turning 928 is not that easy for me.  I will redo my driveway this summer to make it a ittle bigger and more rectangular. I blow with HS520 even if the snow is only 1" deep to keep the snow away from the driveway.
aa335

Reply #5   Jan 2, 2014 12:35 pm
DBV1 wrote:
 I would rather shovel in less than 8 inches of snow than use this thing, which is what I have been doing. :)

I also shovel up to 4 inches if I'm not in a hurry and I want to get some work out.  Sounds like you are a good candidate for a good single stage snowblower for most snow clearing uses.  Keep the Honda 928 around for the bigger storms when this beast will prove its worth.  Your Honda 928 is has a solid axle.  It isn't going to like tight turns on high traction surfaces.  It's like driving a truck in 4x4 mode on the road, there's a lot of tire scrubbing and binding.  However, when the surface is slippery, the solid axle on the 928 is a is a plus.  You can go down to a smaller 24 inch model, but it will have the same characteristic, only lighter.

The Honda 2 stage snowblowers could definitely use some sort of smart differential.  The folks at Honda have been asleep at the wheel for the last 15 years.  The US market has been neglected and forgotten.  I don't expect anything new to come out that an average person can buy.  They have the uber high tech 2 stage with dual electric traction motors, but at $8000.  Not for me.

I have a Toro 421QE,  the current model is a Toro 621QZE.  Since having a this machine around, I enjoy snowblowing and don't dread about wrestling my beastly Honda 1132 tracked snowblower.  I also have curvy brick paver walkways and the single stage Toro has been perfect for this.  It is small and maneuverable to allow me to get in tight places.  The model I have a the Quick Chute which allows swift changes in the chute direction without tedious cranks.  All single stage snowblower should have this feature standard!  Then there's the new Toro 721R-C, which is a commercial grade snowblower.  It has larger 212cc engine, heavier duty rubber auger and drive belt.  There's no Quick chute on feature on this model, yet.  However, this is probably the best SS on the market now.

This message was modified Jan 2, 2014 by aa335
FrankMA

Reply #6   Jan 2, 2014 12:45 pm
DBV1 wrote:

I had a Honda HS624WA when I lived at my previous home which had a much smaller driveway than where I currently live. I really liked that 6 HP with the 24" bucket but my current driveway is 130' long + I have several other areas that also need to be cleared. This led to my purchase of the larger (and less maneuverable) Honda HS928TA. I also have a single stage machine like many others here on the forum as it definitely can get most snowfall amounts under 12" cleared with ease and is very easy to handle. My suggestion would be to consider getting a single stage and keep the 2 stage for those snowfalls that warrant a larger machine capable of clearing 12+" of snow. Better to have a 2 stage and not need it than to need a 2 stage and not have it... P.S. - We're in the midst of a 30 hour snowstorm as I write this and will most likely get out there with my single stage in a few hours to clear the first 8 or so inches before nightfall. My body likes me much better when I use the single stage rather than the 2 stage. If I don't get to it tonight, I'll be using the 2 stage to clear the anticipated 15" - 18" expected by tomorrow.
This message was modified Jan 2, 2014 by FrankMA

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
aa335

Reply #7   Jan 2, 2014 4:21 pm
FrankMA, the storm Hercules just passed through my area.  This storm system is coming your way.  I was expecting it would bring a lot of snow since it is so long and narrow.  However, I only got a total of 5 inches in the last two days.  However, I've been outside snowblowing about 4 times because the winds just keep moving the existing snow around.

I haven't had a need to bring the two stage snowblower out to use.  It's still hibernating under the covers.  I think I'm forgetting how to operate that thing.  :)
This message was modified Jan 2, 2014 by aa335
FrankMA

Reply #8   Jan 2, 2014 6:19 pm
Hello aa335: I just got done using my HS621 on about 8" of nice fluffy 5* degree F snow - ate it up like a hobo on a hot dog! Second time today I was out there clearing my driveway. The first time I used my Stihl BR550 Backpack leaf blower as there was only a few inches of very light fluffy snow and this method works particularly well when the depth of snow is under 4" or so (and light and fluffy). Looks like we'll be in for another 10 - 12 inches overnight so I may have to employ the HS928TA if conditions warrant that kind of firepower.

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
jrtrebor

Reply #9   Jan 2, 2014 9:51 pm
If your looking to only have one blower.
The Ariens are very easy to turn.
I have a modified Ariens 1332 that's about 20+ years old
I can, and do make 180 degree turns either direction.
On occasion using only one hand to steer it.
At it's slowest speed you can literally drive in a circle with the inner wheel staying in one spot.
But you have to do a little trot to keep up with the handles.
They have a differential which allows the ease of turning.

A lot of newer models have triggers on the handles which allow you to turn the blowers;
The triggers when pulled disengage the power to the wheel on that side.
I don't know exactly how those systems are designed and engineered.
So I don't know whether or not they become problematic after a while.
This message was modified Jan 3, 2014 by jrtrebor
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #10   Jan 3, 2014 8:57 am
Buy a 2 stage unit with a differential,4hp /ft of auger width and X-trac tires. That formula should give you an easy handling machine that will move just about any storms leavings. The Xtrac tires are heads and shoulders better than the Snow Hogs and in my experience work as well as chains without the damage to black top. I am especially fond of the 8hp 24" wide machines because they can be stored between 2 parked cars in a standard home garage. Anything wider is usually a problem. Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
mkd55

Reply #11   Jan 3, 2014 11:45 am
just bought a new ariens 921030 28" snowblower with the new autotrack differential for the drive and it is a breeze to operate. it drives with two wheels and turns like only one wheel is locked in. no trigger levers or fighting it to turn around at the end of the drive. I bought the deluxe model and it was only available in the 28" however upgrade to the platinum series and they all have it. the 28" is only 6 lbs heavier (235 lbs) than the same model in 24". cost out the door was $1054.95 my 1985 924 still starts one pull and runs like a top but I either have the drive bearing, gear differential, or both that's starting to get sloppy. don't know if it's worth fixing and don't have the room for it in the garage. trying to get $250.00 for it on craigs list. sold the snowblower yesterday!
This message was modified Jan 6, 2014 by mkd55
niper99

Reply #12   Jan 5, 2014 1:42 am
Id recommend a blower with axel trigger disconnects (power steering).. makes any machine ALOT easier to move around and turn.. don't really matter the model IMO..
aa335

Reply #13   Jan 6, 2014 3:24 pm
FrankMA wrote:
Hello aa335: I just got done using my HS621 on about 8" of nice fluffy 5* degree F snow - ate it up like a hobo on a hot dog! Second time today I was out there clearing my driveway. The first time I used my Stihl BR550 Backpack leaf blower as there was only a few inches of very light fluffy snow and this method works particularly well when the depth of snow is under 4" or so (and light and fluffy). Looks like we'll be in for another 10 - 12 inches overnight so I may have to employ the HS928TA if conditions warrant that kind of firepower.

The storm Ion came through Chicago and dumped 7 inches of snow.  It was heavy kind of snow which warranted the use of the 2 stage machine.  The SS would have just threw it about 6 feet at most.  Ended up helping out some neighbors too.  Also, I wanted to put some piled up snow across the street.  Got some brisk wind to help it carry away.

I have been using the poly (plastic) skid shoes from Robalon.  They worked great, the snowblower doesn't snag on every little cracks on the pavement.   It glides nicely on snow too.  Got to use the 2 stage machine quite a bit and I just love what it does well, chew and blow.  Still dread the turning, especially when I'm up against a wall or garage door.  At the end of the day, I could feel my bones and muscles aching though.  I guess you can have too much fun snowblowing and it shows. 
snowday

Reply #14   Jan 7, 2014 3:54 pm
I have a John Deere 1330SE and I think it is the easiest snowblower to use even given its size. 13HP 342CC briggs and a 30" bucket. The easy steer (no triggers, automatic turn) and the electronic chute and deflector controls are a must have. When you get to the end to make a turn you don't have to stop to pull at trigger or turn a chute or push a deflector lever. You simply push two buttons and make your turn without stopping. The easy turn (auto turn) is also very useful and works well! They don't make this blower as a deere anymore but it is a Briggs and stratton. Briggs and Simplicity are close as well as snapper as they are all made by Briggs. The only think I noticed is they don't have the auto steer on any of them only the triggers for each wheel. I'm not sure if anyone can narrow down who makes an auto steer still, is it only Ariens that still offers an auto steer with now triggers? http://www.briggsandstratton.com/us/en/snow-throwers/snow-throwers?series=Heavy-Duty+Two-Stage http://www.simplicitymfg.com/us/en/snow-blowers/heavy-duty-dual-stage
oldcrow

If it ain't broke, try harder

Reply #15   Jan 20, 2014 1:15 pm
I've got a Toro 421QE, and would highly recommend that unit - or any comparable performer. PROVIDING that a single-stage will get the job done for you. Wet, deep snowfalls and EOD glaciers will choke the best SS snowblowers. But for moderate conditions, you just can't beat a quality single-stage. Lighweight and a breeze to maneuver, not to mention small footprint and easy to transport. Quick-Chute on the Toro is a godsend - you'll never want to go back to cranks or handles. A pleasure to operate, as long as you don't have too much area to cover. It will push 10" of fluffy stuff all day. My first choice when conditions warrant.

On the other hand...

When I moved to northern Michigan, I was asking too much from the trusty Toro. It got the job done, but it ate up paddle rubber (gravel drive) and was ineffective on the insane plow EOD. This year I added an Ariens 921035 28" 2-stage to my arsenal. Have had ample opportunity to try it out, am quite satisfied with it's performance. For the price, it's pretty hard to beat. The auto-turn feature works great, saves a lot of grunting on tight turns without extra grip controls. Starts easy and runs smooth. A bit underpowered, IMHO, but I haven't bogged the engine down yet. Chews through everything in front of it, even hard, icy EOM. No, it's not as comfortable to operate as the Toro, but even with my twisted back I can stand a 1-hour session without too much pain. That's been rare, though - the Ariens gets the job done in about half as much time as a SS, so I'm normally done in 1/2 hour or less. For light snowfalls, I still rely on the Toro SS.

It's always a tradeoff between the heavy hitters, and the sexy little paddle blowers. 2-stage units are more difficult to operate by design, but there are some big differences between brands and models. Look for a balance of [relatively] light weight and resepectible horsepower. Tire size, traction controls, and front-to-rear weight distribution all figure in for comfort. Don't forget the handlebar grips, either -  some models have you holding the grips at unnatural angles with can really add to fatique and hamper maneuverability. Ideally, get one of each if that's practical. But if you rarely deal with megastorms or snowfall over 10", go with a quality single-stage.
aa335

Reply #16   Jan 25, 2014 3:03 am
The easiest snowblower to use is the equipment that is evenly matched to the severity of the snowstorm.

2 inches and less - shovel or snow pusher
2 to 8 inches - single stage snowblower
8 + inches - 2 stage snowblower with a big engine.

slush - Toro S620 or Honda HS621
ice - ice chipper
freezing rain - salt
MichelePerez

Reply #17   Dec 29, 2017 10:46 pm
I think that for ease of use you should use a machine that matches the amount of snow. How is your weather? If it is less then you should use a machine with a small capacity. A big machine with a small amount of snow will make things difficult. Hope you find the right snowblower.
This message was modified Dec 30, 2017 by a moderator
BarryWils0n

Reply #18   Aug 9, 2018 2:54 am
I have an Ariens snowblower that has an electric start. It does a good job. No real problem turning it around, it has forward and reverse.
Replies: 1 - 18 of 18View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42