Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda Snowblower Stalls Out

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
DBV1

Honda Snowblower Stalls Out
Original Message   Dec 26, 2012 7:05 pm
Hello - purchased a new Honda HS928WAS last year and only got to use it about 3 times last winter. When I did it worked great! We received our first big snowstorm today and I had a hard time starting it. Once it did start, I let it warm up a while and then used it. After about 15 minutes it stalled out. I waited about 15 minutes and started it again and then it worked fine. Went out to use it a second time tonight and the same thing happened - about 15 minutes into it and it stalled out. However, this time I can not get it to start again. I have used all new gas this winter and have no idea what can be causing this. I thought Honda's were known for their easy starting and reliability, which was the major reason I purchased it. I am ready to sell it and go back to old, reliable snow shoveling. :) Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks for the help!
Replies: 13 - 22 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
stresst

Re: Honda Snowblower Stalls Out
Reply #13   Dec 27, 2012 3:21 pm
Should have purchased a Toro! LMAO

TORO 826OXE
MN_Runner

Reply #14   Dec 27, 2012 3:21 pm
Dr_Woof wrote:
The Honda engine has a gas shutoff valve that is counterintuitive.  IE: it may be off when you think it is on.  Tuning it to the right (viewed from above) makes it open and vice versa.  So...make sure you got it in the on position and see what happens.  Sure looks like a fuel problem, and this could be it.  I had a similar problem with my Honda right after I bought it (stupid me - when all else fails, read the manual).

Sounds like he was able to run it for two 15 min sessions.  It could be true for the first 15 min run (not much longer than 10 min at full throttle)  but it would be tough to run another 15 min with that shutoff value OFF.  I am agreeing with AA335 gas cap diagnosis although I have no personal experience.
aa335

Reply #15   Dec 27, 2012 3:46 pm
stresst wrote:
Should have purchased a Toro! LMAO

That's not going to work.   I have Honda and Toro snowblower and have failed to start the engine several times.  

I don't forget to shut off the fuel valve after using the snowblower, but I do forget to turn it back on when trying to start the engine.   Those damn engines are so hard to start!  Why can't they make them with push button start like on cars??
This message was modified Dec 27, 2012 by aa335
hcbph1

Reply #16   Dec 28, 2012 11:06 am
aa335 wrote:
 Those damn engines are so hard to start!  Why can't they make them with push button start like on cars??

Isn't that what an electric starter is for? 
aa335

Reply #17   Dec 28, 2012 12:16 pm
hcbph1 wrote:
Isn't that what an electric starter is for? 

I have one of those? 
Bill_H

Reply #18   Dec 28, 2012 9:06 pm
aa335 wrote:
I have one of those? 

Unless you got the economy model.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
borat

Reply #19   Dec 29, 2012 9:22 am
Of all the snow blowers I have (4 SS machines and one dual stage), all of them usually start on the first or second pull even after seven or eight months of storage.  Run them dry before you put them away.  The only machine that caused me any grief was the 2010 Toro 221.  It was hard to start and ran irratically early the first season I used it.  Pulled the float bowl off the carb and found tiny blue plastic particles in it.  Cleaned it up and it's been good since.  However, it sees very little service these days due to insufficient snow and it's not as much fun to use as the cheap Craftsman and Murray machines.
aa335

Reply #20   Dec 30, 2012 12:09 am
Bill_H wrote:
Unless you got the economy model.

Actually, I'm just kidding.

2 of my 4 snowblowers have electric start.  I rarely use them.  I find it more troublesome to find a cord and plugging them into the outlet than to use the manual pull start.  Since the engines are maintained well, they are quite easy to start.  The only time I find them hard to start is when I forget to turn the fuel valve on. 
DBV1

Reply #21   Dec 31, 2012 12:18 pm
Thanks for everyone's help. I started the snowblower on the first pull two days ago and let it run for about 10 minutes. No issues. Now, we need another snow to really test it out.
MN_Runner

Reply #22   Dec 31, 2012 12:31 pm
DBV1 wrote:
Thanks for everyone's help. I started the snowblower on the first pull two days ago and let it run for about 10 minutes. No issues. Now, we need another snow to really test it out.

So what was the culprit?
Replies: 13 - 22 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42