Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Bought a new toy. A Toro "Snow Commander"

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jrtrebor

Bought a new toy. A Toro "Snow Commander"
Original Message   Oct 5, 2012 9:53 pm
Found this at an auction, bought it for $70.00.  Don't really need another blower but couldn't resist the 7hp 24" cut.  It's a 2008 model and a rare bird in design.  The ad said it didn't run but had good compression.  Looked in good shape.  Turns out it was low on fuel.  After the ride home (fuel sloshing around in the tank) and a shot of starter fluid it fired right up.  Smoked like crazy, so either it had the wrong mix in it.  Or the fuel had evaporated and left a high concentration of oil in the remaining fuel.  Will post some pics tomorrow.    I'm ready for snow already.  Hope this year turns out better than last year.
For those wanting to know.  It has a BRIGGS AND STRATTON, 084333-0199-E1 engine.
This message was modified Oct 5, 2012 by jrtrebor
Replies: 13 - 22 of 32Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
jrtrebor

Re: Bought a new toy. A Toro "Snow Commander"
Reply #13   Oct 13, 2012 10:52 pm
borat wrote:
My Toro 221Q R-tek engine is model no:   0842-33-0199-E8  rated at 6.5 h.p. weighing 29 lbs.

Is the newer 221 engine designed the same as the Snow Commander engine?  I.e. extra intake port?   If not, how did it get it's power boosted from 5 to 6.5 h.p.? 

JRT:

Not sure where you found your engine no. specs.  How does the 221 engine compare design-wise to the Snow Commander engine?

borat, sorry about that.
I've been looking at so many different Blower and engine specs. today that I
posted the wrong model #  in post # 10.
I posted model 221R it should have been 210R
I've since changed it from 221R 38581 to  210R 38587

The 221 is in the 842 engine series and the Snow Commander and the 726TE
are in the 843 series.
The 221Q engine and the Commander don't share the same parts.
But the 221Q and the 210R do.
This message was modified Oct 13, 2012 by jrtrebor
jrtrebor

Reply #14   Oct 13, 2012 11:11 pm
borat that's a good thought about the chute freezing.
I usually keep a heavy coat of Anti-seize on the chute ring
but I will need to check it before using it.
Going to mess with the carb tomorrow.
Here is a great site for getting information on Toro blowers.
Just put in the model # e.g. 38587
Toro Master parts viewer.

I've been using this one to get R-Tek parts lists
B&S Customer Support Portal
This message was modified Oct 14, 2012 by jrtrebor
borat

Reply #15   Oct 14, 2012 4:22 pm
I've heard of anti-seize for spark plugs etc., but never for plastic surfaces.  What kind of anti-seize are you using?
jrtrebor

Reply #16   Oct 14, 2012 8:38 pm
borat wrote:
I've heard of anti-seize for spark plugs etc., but never for plastic surfaces.  What kind of anti-seize are you using?

I use the silver type
Permatex® Anti-Seize Lubricant
A highly refined blend of aluminum, copper and graphite lubricants.
Use during assembly to prevent galling, corrosion and seizing and to assure easier disassembly.
Temperature range: -60°F to 1600°F (-51°Cto 871°C).
Salt, corrosion and moisture resistant – ideal for marine use.

It just really seems to keep things coated a long time.

On another subject.  I started the SC up today to check the RPM.
It was only running at about 3100.
So I reached in and pushed on the throttle a little.
The RPM went up, took my finger off expecting it to drop back down.
But it didn't, I had to push on the throttle again to bring it back down.
Shut it off, and discovered that the throttle was stiff, not frozen.
But would stay where ever it was move to.
To make a long story short.  Finally found out that when I reinstalled the carb after cleaning it.
I had tightened the mounting bolts a little to tight.  It has the plastic carb. and if you tighten either
bolt as little as a 1/4 of a turn to tight.  It distorts the carb body just enough to either bind up
on the throttle shaft.  Or distort the carb throat just enough to bind on the throttle butterfly.
Never run across that before, the bolts really weren't that tight.
Anyway, got that straightened out and the RPM is now set at about 4225.

Also decided to eliminate the stops on the chute ring.  Just cut teeth in where the stops where.
So now it will spin 360º either way.  And I won't have to be concerned with breaking something by running into a stop.
 I can also blow snow behind me if I duck.  That would be a strange sight to see.
This message was modified Oct 14, 2012 by jrtrebor
carlb

Reply #17   Oct 15, 2012 8:15 am
jrtrebor wrote:

Just uploaded a video I shot today of the powered chute set up I put on the Snow Commander.
And a short clip of the unique tilt system employed on this blower.

Snow Commander video.

What voltage is the battery pack you are using?
Loblolly77

Reply #18   Oct 15, 2012 8:51 am
Hi-

Nice work creating the chute rotator!

I have seen both versions of the 141 cc 2 stroke (R*TEK ) internally, and yes these are different: (I couldn't find my older posts I thought I made so sorry if I'm repeating myself)

BOOST version:

Piston- two square windows in the skirt on the intake side

Cylinder- two slot type boost ports to work with the windowed piston

Porting - now has 4 intake (transfer) ports instead of 2

Exhaust port looks the same

Carburetor- all P/N the same so I beleive the carbs are same

CD Pak- same P/N so timing curve the same

muffler- same PN

crankshaft- different PN due to longer snout needed to fit snow commander chassis.

all other PN the same.

Per the TORO service manual for the boost version- the idea is to create a larger air fuel charge into the cylinder with each stroke, so the larger charge give more power!

borat

Reply #19   Oct 15, 2012 9:47 am
If it weren't for the two piece connecting rods on these R-tek engines, they'd probably respond nicely to higher rpms.  Not that a two piece con-rod cannot handle high rpms.  Modern motorcycles spin at outrageous speeds with two piece rods.  However, most of them use plain bearings and high pressure oil systems.  My biggest concern about the R-tek and the two piece rod is the needle bearings/cage.  Not sure how well that combination can withstand high rpms.  The Tecumseh 139cc engines have a similar needle bearing set up but with a one piece connecting rod.  So far, the ones I own have responded very well to much higher engine speeds than in stock configuration. 

All of the high performance Yamaha two cycle motorcycle engines I've worked on have needle bearings built into the connecting rods.  The crankshafts are press fit and have to be dis-assemble to change connecting rods.  These engines easily spin to past 10,000 rpm and if used for racing, the cranks are welded to support even higher engine speeds.  

I wouldn't have any reservations spinning an R-tek to 4500-4800 rpm.  Not sure I'd want to exceed 5000.  Nonetheless, the boost version of the R-tek already makes 7 h.p. at 4100 rpm (presuming it's the same rpm as the non-boost engine).  As such, another 700 rpm or so would likely gain 1 to 2 h.p.  Very respectable for a little 141cc engine. 

From my experience with my non-boost R-tek, I've seen noticeable gains in power by increasing rpms by as little as 100 rpm.  When I first bought it, the engine was set for around 3700.  I set it to 4100 and the power gain was very much obvious but, the machine was difficult to hold back while clearing snow on the downhill grade on my driveway.  I cut it back to 4000 or so and it's easier to manage yet still making plenty of power.  If my driveway were flat, I'd jack the engine up to around 4500.    
jrtrebor

Reply #20   Oct 15, 2012 10:58 am
carlb wrote:

What voltage is the battery pack you are using?

I'm using a little 12v battery that was on an electric scooter.
I don't recall what the AH rating is on it.
It's the same battery I used to use on my 2 stage blower.
Usually only charged it about once during the season.
jrtrebor

Reply #21   Oct 15, 2012 11:08 am
Loblolly77 wrote:

Per the TORO service manual for the boost version- the idea is to create a larger air fuel charge into the cylinder with each stroke, so the larger charge give more power!

Thanks for the information on the porting.
Always helpful when someone can post first hand information.
Thanks for your comment on the chute rotator.

This message was modified Oct 15, 2012 by jrtrebor
jrtrebor

Reply #22   Oct 15, 2012 11:14 am
borat wrote:

From my experience with my non-boost R-tek, I've seen noticeable gains in power by increasing rpms by as little as 100 rpm. 

That's something, that only 100 rpm increase is noticeable.
I'll have to check, I don't really know what the Snow Commander is supposed to run at stock.
I'm guessing around 4k. + or - 100
Replies: 13 - 22 of 32Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42