Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > A little survey: Are you a planner or procrastinator?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
aa335

A little survey: Are you a planner or procrastinator?
Original Message   Feb 8, 2012 1:05 pm
Do you buy snowblowers early in the season in preparation for a big snowy winter?  If you are, you're a planner.

Do you hold off buying snowblowers until after a big snowstorm to make your purchase?  If you are, you're a procastinator.
Replies: 4 - 13 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: A little survey: Are you a planner or procrastinator?
Reply #4   Feb 8, 2012 4:35 pm
FrankMA wrote:
Can I get back to you on this???

Sure, no hurry, I know you're busy working on that CCR3000, and that stack of firewood out in the backyard. 
aa335

Reply #5   Feb 8, 2012 4:41 pm
RedOctobyr wrote:
This may be a biased/leading question When do you buy your blowers. Do you buy them early/late in that season? I'll bet some of the crazy folks out there bought one, and actually just left it at that

I'm not saying that skepticism and suspicion are involved, but it's possible.  I have no intention of identifying lawyers and politicians, that's not really the scope of this survey. 
This message was modified Feb 8, 2012 by aa335
borat

Reply #6   Feb 8, 2012 5:29 pm
I buy ahead if shopping for serious use applications.  I recall buying a new 10/29 Craftsman in the fall of 1995.  Good thing too.  The winter of '95 to '96 was a 100 year season.  Highest snowfall in one season that I've ever seen.  It was so bad, that our street was out of commission for close to a week.  I had to walk approx. 1/3rd of a mile to a secondary highway to be picked up by someone from work who wasn't keen on working around the clock.  Our office used a number of 4x4 vehicles (of which I was assigned one) and pressed them into service picking up and dropping off people who lived in semi-rural areas that didn't get immediate snow clearing.  Due to my street being snowed under by about two feet of snow in one shift, I just turned around and brought the vehicle back to the office to have another guy drop me off as close as possible to home.  Fortunately, the local boys were out on their snowmobiles making paths for residents to walk on.  Did that for at least a week. 

That year the Craftsman probably saw 80% of it's life used up.  It was flogged pretty much every second day moving huge amounts of snow.  Due to the snowfall and drifting caused by high winds that machine was invaluable.  It never let me down. 

Oh, and by the way, if it wasn't snowing, it was very cold and the freaking wind was relentless.  It was a tough season to say the least.

So, for serious snow removal, I buy ahead.  For fun equipment, I just buy is as it becomes available.  Particularly if a good deal comes up on something used.

royster

" It is the use of power tools that separates man from animals"

Reply #7   Feb 8, 2012 6:18 pm
I bought my first new snowblower before  the first snow of December 1998     I guess this would make me a planner.  It was a Craftsman 33 inch with a Tecumseh 13.5 engine.  

I always maintained it well with yearly oil changes etc.  and  used it until February 4th  2011, (through hard winters like the 95-96  one)  when the rod went through the block under the starter.

The next day I purchased  the   Husqvarna  27 inch , hydro, 14.5 Briggs So I guess this time ,it was a necessity and   I was a procrastinator.

FrankMA

Reply #8   Feb 8, 2012 8:53 pm
aa335 wrote:
Sure, no hurry, I know you're busy working on that CCR3000, and that stack of firewood out in the backyard. 

OUCH!!!

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
FrankMA

Reply #9   Feb 8, 2012 9:05 pm
Seriously, though.. I'm a planner. I always try to have all my snow clearing OPE in good working order before the $h!t hits the fan. The last 2 years or so I became enamored with SS machines and have bought several that were either in great shape or needed some serious TLC. I kind of live by the boy scout creed "Be Prepared"!

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
jrtrebor

Reply #10   Feb 8, 2012 10:10 pm
When it comes to snowblowing equipment.  I'd have to say I'm a planner.  Usually start projects around the end of August first of September.  But I've been thinking about them off and on all summer.

Then once I get started some of them take on lives of their own.  And one thing leads to another.  Of course I can't leave anything the way it is.  Something has to be changed, updated, modified.

Every things a mouse trap to me.  Gotta try and build a better one. 

Normally here in West central Michigan you'd better be ready by the second week in Nov. just in case.
This year I'm thinking about putting Sta-Bil in my tanks.  Very disappointing.
trouts2

Reply #11   Feb 9, 2012 8:49 am

Procrastinator, planner, paranoid planner, unplanned hoarding, planned hording, excessive planned hording, hyper planned hording, final planned hording.

Purchasing a snowblower was put off year after year.  The argument was expense, it’s winter and the exercise is a good thing.  Each year the back would give out and deep regret would set in (procrastinator).

Picked up a Toro XL824 in July for winter fixup, (planner).

The Toro fix went well but no snow test possible so picked up a broken MTD 8hp for $75 for a backup.  Two cheapies but both won’t break at the same time.   (paranoid planner). 

Fixing those two was pretty easy and enjoyable.  I found I could fit these things in my trunk (Honda Accord) and do it myself with buckets.  They were big and heavy but not so expensive so picked up a broken 5hp for $25 and another 8hp (unplanned hording). 

Then it snowed and I got to use clearing.  Just what size and features were becoming clear so more snowblowers needed to find a match (planned hording).  Machines had to be sold to make room for new machines and it’s been the same ever since (excessive planned hording).  

The field of dual stages has sounded and the stable just about complete. 

Then there’s single stages.  Over the last few years the same progression is happening with single stages,  S200 > S620 > Powerlites > CCR2000E > CCR2450 > CCR3650 and a crew of Boratifides (hyper planned hording).   On the scout for an Ariens 7hp (final planned hording).

RedOctobyr

Reply #12   Feb 9, 2012 9:29 am
trouts2 wrote:

On the scout for an Ariens 7hp (final planned hording).

Ha, nice tale of progression. Is this last bit perhaps an example of famous last words? Along the lines of "I can stop (buying snowblowers) any time I want"? What did you settle on for a 2-stage, if you have a favorite?

I had a sedan for a long time. Made it tricky to even move something the size of a push mower around (though I did it a few times, managed to squeeze them in). Now I have a small SUV, so I've fit things in the back ranging from a SS with the handle still extended, to a 300 lb, 10,000 watt generator.  Very helpful. But I can't decide if it's a blessing or a curse that I don't have something like a pickup, where I could also carry bulky, tall items like a 2-stage

It's probably better that it requires more planning for how I could move a bigger machine around. Since that makes it less likely that more of them will find their way home. I keep contemplating putting a trailer hitch on the car, so I could just rent a small trailer or something, when required (don't have a great place to store a utility trailer). Renting a pickup is expensive (as I recall, about $20/hr from HD or Lowes, if you need one for a short amount of time, or in the realm of $80-100/day from a car rental company). The cheap $25 machine that someone just wants to get rid of suddenly turns into $100 or whatever.
aa335

Reply #13   Feb 9, 2012 11:14 am
I'm a planner.  I moved to a new house several years ago.  My driveway is sloped, my car is rear wheel drive, and I have small children, so shoveling at my leisure isn't an option.  I need something that gets the job done effectively, and fast.  I had two months to do my research on 2 stage snowblowers.  I had made my purchase 3 weeks before the first flake of snow hits the ground.  This allow me plenty of time to get familar with the machine.  Also, I don't like making big equipment purchases without evaluating all available option or buying whatever is left.

That winter, we had two big storms that made me glad I have the big 2 stage machine.  I helped several neighbors dig out their driveway, and practically all the sidewalk on my block.  However, most of the snowfalls besides these two events could have been handled by a SS.   Saw my neighbor with a SS moving fast and effortlessly around curves and obstacles, and it was also entertaining to hear the 2 stroke engine changing tones when loaded with snow.  That's when the plan to get a SS came into my mind, so began to search on CL for a used one.  Found a good condition Honda HS520 from a couple moving to Florida, it wasn't dirt cheap, but reasonably priced, and I didn't have to do any work on it. 

So I am now pretty well equipped with 2 snowblowers to handle small and large snowstorms, but then I somehow got interested in how SS differ from one another.  There are 2 strokes, 4 strokes, auger design, chute design, ect...That's when the SSSAS had set in.  Single Stage Snowblower Acquisition Syndrone as I call it.  I can acquire them with reasonable cost, doesn't take up too much space, I can easily work on them, and they fit in my small car.  But all my purchases are planned, I knew what I was after and kept an open eye when something good came up.  I have to say that not having snow has made my SSSAS more severe, although still managable.   Anyways, having this support group made me feel that I'm not alone.  :) 
This message was modified Feb 9, 2012 by aa335
Replies: 4 - 13 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42