Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Another "Boratified" blower.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jrtrebor

Another "Boratified" blower.
Original Message   Feb 7, 2012 7:19 pm
Well no snow so I had to have something to do today.  Came up with a little different approach.  There were two things I wanted to be able to do when this mod. was finished.
One was to be able to adjust the RPM at will.   The other was to be able to get the bottom cover off without having to mess with any strings, wires, cables, etc.
This is what the factory gov. setup looks like on a Toro CCR 2450

Here's what I came up with.  I make an arm that I bolted to the handle.  Drilled a hole in the end to hook the gov.
spring into.  I wanted to use the factory spring so the gov. could still function.  Also I wanted to be able to return things to
stock if I wanted to.  This photo shows the arm and spring at what would be the factory position.

This photos shows the arm and spring in the "lets blow some snow" position.
The spring can be pulled 1" to 1 1/4"  past the stock position.
I revs up pretty good, but it doesn't have that scary "I'd better back it down" sound.

You can see where I slotted the bottom cover so it can be lifted right off.

Finished look.  After I took this photo I went back and drilled a hole all the way through the handle.  So I could use a
bolt and self locking nut to hold the handle, to the handle.  That set up allowed me to snug down the adjustment handle
just enough so that it would move but stay in it's position.  The first way I know would have rattled loose from the vibration.
You push the handle to the right to increase the RPM.  I had to bend the handle out from the handle like that.  Other wise it
hit the cover before you could run the RPM up enough.
Where's the snow?

Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: Another "Boratified" blower.
Reply #3   Feb 7, 2012 8:52 pm
I like your ingenuity. Nice work as usual. I have to agree with Borat though, I like on command throttle control. This kind of gives me an idea to use a bicycle brake lever for this purpose.
RedOctobyr

Reply #4   Feb 7, 2012 8:54 pm
Nice job, jrtrebor! You do really nice work. Cut and bent sheetmetal that looks like it could be factory. Very cool. And thank you for taking the time to write it up and post it.

I think the string idea is really good, to let you control it as you operate. I think a way to rev the engine by simply squeezing the bail would be really cool. Anytime you're not blowing, the engine RPMs drop immediately. Squeeze the handle, and they climb. Ideally, the belt would start to engage before the RPM's start to rise, so the belt doesn't slip as much (engaging at 3600 should be easier on the belt than engaging at 5000). Haven't tried this yet on any of my stuff. With something like a turnbuckle adjuster, inline with the string, you could "fairly easily" adjust the tension on the string, so that your high-RPM setting will go higher or lower. Or, just pull the string more, of course, if you're doing it "by hand".
borat

Reply #5   Feb 7, 2012 9:07 pm
I originally thought of synchronizing the throttle with the bail but decided against it.

I keep the auger engagement bail engaged all the time once I start working.  I just use the throttle after that.  I think that fewer engagements and disengagements will be easier on belt and drive system.  I only let up the bail when I have to leave the machine. 
jrtrebor

Reply #6   Feb 7, 2012 9:53 pm
borat wrote:
I originally thought of synchronizing the throttle with the bail but decided against it.

I keep the auger engagement bail engaged all the time once I start working.  I just use the throttle after that.  I think that fewer engagements and disengagements will be easier on belt and drive system.  I only let up the bail when I have to leave the machine. 

I thought about using the bail as well.  But didn't for the same reasons.  Some type of simple thumb lever would probably work.  It takes very little force to offset the spring.
RedOctobyr

Reply #7   Feb 7, 2012 10:07 pm
A throttle assembly off an old push mower (when they actually had them) would seem a nice way to do it. You could set it and forget it, you wouldn't have to hold it just right all the time. And more speed or less is just a nudge away.

Good point about belt wear, borat. I at least try to engage the handles somewhat gradually, vs just slamming them, and making the belt squeal. But the on-off cycles must still take their toll on the belt.
borat

Reply #8   Feb 8, 2012 8:48 am
jrtrebor:

That appears to be an R-tek engine.  Is that correct?   Is that a plastic carb on it? 
Loblolly77

Reply #9   Feb 8, 2012 8:57 am
Nice job, thanks for posting. I am also interested in a variable rpm control.

I'm still in the layout phase, taking my time: Power Clear 221QR

Here is my idea for a control cable: http://www.hobby-lobby.com/pushrods_connectors_393_ctg.htm

I need to study all the available components, a lot to learn since I'm not a RC guy (yet)

jrtrebor

Reply #10   Feb 8, 2012 8:57 am
borat -
Yes your are correct it is an R-TEK.  and it does have a plastic carb.
This message was modified Feb 8, 2012 by jrtrebor
jrtrebor

Reply #11   Feb 8, 2012 9:02 am
Loblolly77 wrote:
Nice job, thanks for posting.

Here is my idea for a control cable: http://www.hobby-lobby.com/pushrods_connectors_393_ctg.htm

Your welcome
Boy that is a great resource for cables and connectors.
aa335

Reply #12   Feb 8, 2012 12:49 pm
Loblolly77 wrote:
Nice job, thanks for posting. I am also interested in a variable rpm control.

I'm still in the layout phase, taking my time: Power Clear 221QR

I need to study all the available components, a lot to learn since I'm not a RC guy (yet)

Are you thinking about servos and wireless? 
Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42