Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Repainted My Blower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Shryp

Repainted My Blower
Original Message   Jan 3, 2012 1:06 pm
She isn't perfect, but she looks a lot better than the old rustbucket.  I downgraded from the 340cc Greyhound to a 212cc Predator and it doesn't run as well as the old Greyhounds.  Surges a lot and has to have half choke to run smooth.  The gas I had was a couple months old so maybe that is part of the problem.  If some new gas doesn't solve it does anyone have any good info or links on drilling the jets or buying new ones?  I have never done that myself.  I did see one or 2 youtube videos on jets an emulsion tubes, but all that did was confuse me since the tubes all had different hole patterns.

Still haven't had much snow to try it on.  Gave it a first test run today and it did pretty well.  I had to shovel first to get a pile of snow deep enough to have something to blow.  Did get one stupid look from someone walking down the street when I was taking the pictures.

Yes, this is a late 1970s model that now has black handlebars and augers.  I hope no one tells Scot on me :)

Replies: 11 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Shryp

Re: Repainted My Blower
Reply #11   Jan 6, 2012 11:22 am
Good news!

I dumped the old gas and took the carb apart. It was clean everywhere so I guess those couple flakes I found on the idle jet were a fluke.
I put it back together and put new gas in it. Didn't make much of a difference in how it ran.

I took the idle jet back out and ran a torch tip cleaner through it. The smallest one didn't fit all the way. I "forced" it through and then it could slide in and out.
The "file" part wouldn't fit because the lead was too long so I cut part of the lead off it. Now the file part is just too thick completely. Oh well, I put it back together and it runs a little better.

I take the main jet out and put a file in that. One is a little too small, but the next size wouldn't fit at all. So I take the smaller one and try to ream it a bit. Didn't really seem to do anything, but I don't want to go too far. I put it back together.

Now it works great! I can even start it without choke once it is warmed up. Smooth as can be, good acceleration from idle to full. Picks up well when engaging the auger on idle and on full speed without any stutter. So if anyone else has problems with their Predator 212cc 6.5HP surging opening the jets just a hair will do wonders for it.

It is still about 45 degrees here so not sure how it will run when it gets cold, but now I am a lot happier.
borat

Reply #12   Jan 6, 2012 1:30 pm
Good to hear the tip cleaners worked out for you.  It's amazing what a little filing can do to improve jetting.

Last summer, I rescued an old Tecumseh Eager 1 from a scrap pile.  It had been in there for around fifteen years.   The guy who owned it put it there because it wouldn't start.  He was old friend of mine and has since passed away.

I had some time on my hands so I decided to take a look at it.   Other than being reluctant to start, it was in very good condition.  Lots of compression, good spark and even the oil looked good.  Not bad for fifteen years in a pile of  trash.   I zoned in on the carb first thing.  Pulled if off,  thoroughly cleaned it, put it back on and now it would fire but not stay running and it took several yanks on the cord to get it to run.   Off with the carb, clean some more.  Back on.  No change.  For the life of me, I couldn't figure out what the problem was.  I knew that I had opened every orifice and passage but the thing still wasn't right.  Finally, I took a close look at the hollow bolt that holds the float bowl on.  It's got two tiny holes on opposite sides of the bolt that feed fuel to the main jet.   I could run a fine wire through the holes and could see light through them so they appeared alright.  Nonetheless, I deducted that the problem was insufficient fuel flow so I took out the tip cleaner and reamed the two little holes out.  Put it back together and it fired on the second pull and ran flawlessly.  I suspect that over the years, the orifices were restricted by varnish build up sufficiently enough to upset fuel supply.  

Sometimes when you think everything is good and should work but doesn't, it's time to review the theory, understand cause and effect and move on to more drastic measures.   Nothing goofy mind you, but something like a jet reaming may be necessary.   I very seldom have had to do it.  Most carbs will work well after a thorough cleaning.  Obviously, some need a bit more attention. 
Moderator Denis

Reply #13   Jan 6, 2012 6:38 pm
This is my Ariens before I did the job too similar macvhine to yours but its a 8hp engine

borat

Reply #14   Jan 6, 2012 6:43 pm
Very nice work.  Those machines are lifers. 
niper99

Reply #15   Jan 7, 2012 12:58 am
Nice Job Denis!!
FrankMA

Reply #16   Jan 7, 2012 7:16 am
Too bad we don't have any snow to put all these nice machines to use. Another 2 months or so and we'll all have to wait til next fall/winter to do any kind of snowblowing....

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
borat

Reply #17   Jan 7, 2012 10:00 am
It rained here yesterday and broke a 60 year record for the highest temperature on Jan. 6th.   It was almost 40 F. here and there's a chance it could get warmer today.   Not much snow, too warm, no fun!    Normal people do like this though.
MN_Runner

Reply #18   Jan 7, 2012 10:52 am
I am enjoying not so cold winter in MN.
Dudester

Reply #19   Jan 12, 2012 6:30 pm
Do you have to dismantle the whole snowblower to do a paint job like that ? I'd love to be able to spruce up my old Noma Signauture series which is 18 years old.
Any tips would be much appreciated.
Thanks

To be old and wise....you must first be young and stupid.
Shryp

Reply #20   Jan 12, 2012 7:02 pm
Dudester wrote:
Do you have to dismantle the whole snowblower to do a paint job like that ? I'd love to be able to spruce up my old Noma Signauture series which is 18 years old.
Any tips would be much appreciated.
Thanks

It helps.
I had the bottom cover, engine, handles, dash, controls, augers, impeller, rims, tires and axle off as well as the front bucket separated from the back.
I left the friction drive, sprocket and jackshaft in the drive unit though.
Replies: 11 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42