Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Repainted My Blower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Shryp

Repainted My Blower
Original Message   Jan 3, 2012 1:06 pm
She isn't perfect, but she looks a lot better than the old rustbucket.  I downgraded from the 340cc Greyhound to a 212cc Predator and it doesn't run as well as the old Greyhounds.  Surges a lot and has to have half choke to run smooth.  The gas I had was a couple months old so maybe that is part of the problem.  If some new gas doesn't solve it does anyone have any good info or links on drilling the jets or buying new ones?  I have never done that myself.  I did see one or 2 youtube videos on jets an emulsion tubes, but all that did was confuse me since the tubes all had different hole patterns.

Still haven't had much snow to try it on.  Gave it a first test run today and it did pretty well.  I had to shovel first to get a pile of snow deep enough to have something to blow.  Did get one stupid look from someone walking down the street when I was taking the pictures.

Yes, this is a late 1970s model that now has black handlebars and augers.  I hope no one tells Scot on me :)

Replies: 1 - 10 of 20NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
borat

Re: Repainted My Blower
Reply #1   Jan 3, 2012 2:35 pm
Not sure I'd drill the jet.  It would take a mighty small bit and there's a good chance it could break.  I've had good success cleaning/enlarging the orifice of a jet by using cutting torch tip cleaners.  They're very fine and sufficiently abrasive to open up the orifice.  You don't want to go too big.  Find a size that just fits and work it a bit until the next size up fits the enlarged hole.   Don't open it up any more until you test it.  If no improvement, repeat with the next size up.   Takes time but sooner or later, you'll get the jet to the size you need.  Go slowly and be patient.
carlb

Reply #2   Jan 3, 2012 2:47 pm
The paint job look fine, why did you take off the 340cc and go with the 212? I would have thought that it would be a snow beast with the 340.
I don't know about the predator motor but the old 6.5 greyhound used the same jets as Honda.  You may be able to use the jet from a honda gx240.
If you have some small drills you can drill it by hand don't use a drill, the brass is very soft. 
This message was modified Jan 3, 2012 by carlb
Shryp

Reply #3   Jan 3, 2012 2:51 pm
The 11HP on a 24" blower was overkill.  It used a bit more gas that I would have liked.

I did end up ruining a gear box through a combination of operator abuse, and 11HP engine and what I think was an already damaged set of gears.
I am hoping to find a 32" blower someday at a good price and maybe move the 11HP over to that.  I still have the 11HP and if need be I can swap it back.
I figured since I was painting it black and orange a black engine would be better than a blue one.
trouts2

Reply #4   Jan 3, 2012 5:23 pm
Shryp,

That a wicked nice Ariens model.  Cast iron gearbox, the nice differential before they screwed it up with improvements, easy auger lever lockdown not dependant on the drive lever which is a pain at times, dash mounted chute control, and all spruced up with fresh paint.  What more could a guy ask for???

As you use the Predator post reports.  I can't find anything about them online.  I assume parts can be had with a worse case wait but availble if needed.  What was nice about the GX clone was you could do anywhere and get parts.  But then in four years and about 12-13 of them I've have not had to buy a part yet.  Hopefully the Predators will be as good.

Shryp

Reply #5   Jan 3, 2012 5:29 pm
trouts2 wrote:
What more could a guy ask for???

As you use the Predator post reports.

Remote Deflector.

I hope to have good news on the Predator.  I too would look for info and they only people posting anything are gokart and minibike guys.  Most of them seem happy.  They say it has a bit more torque than the old Greyhounds.  Guess that makes sense with the bigger displacement.  It does have a plastic/nylon cam gear as opposed to steel on the other clones.  No one has reported a problem yet though.
RedOctobyr

Reply #6   Jan 3, 2012 10:19 pm
Nice job Shryp, it looks great!

I'll be curious what you find with the surging. I have a Generac generator with a Generac GN-320 engine (non-adjustable carb), which surges unless I run with half-choke. I've used the half-choke method for now, for the small amount I've used it (bought it used). I know people aren't big fans of magic-in-a-can, but I'll confess I've added some Seafoam to the tank, in case that might help. I'm a bit leery of opening up the carb to clean it, in part based on something I read in passing, which implied that getting carb kits for Generac-built engines may not be easy.

Did you put those Snow Hog tires on it?
jrtrebor

Reply #7   Jan 3, 2012 11:11 pm
Your blower looks nice.  Ought to get the job done and be pretty bullet proof.  I love those controls on the older Ariens.  For a while I thought about trying to adapt a set to my 1332.
niper99

Reply #8   Jan 4, 2012 1:32 am
LOOKS GOOD!!!!
niper99

Reply #9   Jan 4, 2012 1:46 am
borat wrote:
Not sure I'd drill the jet.  It would take a mighty small bit and there's a good chance it could break.  I've had good success cleaning/enlarging the orifice of a jet by using cutting torch tip cleaners.  They're very fine and sufficiently abrasive to open up the orifice.  You don't want to go too big.  Find a size that just fits and work it a bit until the next size up fits the enlarged hole.   Don't open it up any more until you test it.  If no improvement, repeat with the next size up.   Takes time but sooner or later, you'll get the jet to the size you need.  Go slowly and be patient.

l have as well in larged some jets on some honda clones i bought that surged badly brand new...with a welding torch tip cleaner!!!  works great.. and u can also buy a jet in large tool which is basically the same thing as welding torch tip cleaner...although the torch tip cleaner has many sizes to choose from which is kinda nice.
Shryp

Reply #10   Jan 4, 2012 5:01 am
Thanks for the tips on the torch cleaner files.  I don't have any, but I'll keep an eye out for a set.  This one surged brand new so I doubt it is dirty, that said there was someone last year who said his brand new Greyhound came with sand in the carb.  I want to get some fresh gas and some real snow to see how it works with a long term load on it before I do anything.  I suspect it is the idle jet that needs  opened a bit as it does seem like the acceleration is a bit sluggish too.

And yes, I put the snow hogs on myself last year when I did the 11HP engine.  This year I took them off again so I could paint the rims.  When I remounted them and made sure to mount from the back side so I didn't scratch up the paint too bad on the outside of them.

Edit:
I just watched a few more videos about the clone carbs and think I understand how they work now.  I saw most of the Honda's have an adjustable idle mixture screw so decided to go see if mine did.  Mine just looks like it has a cap pressed in there.  I pulled the idle stop screw out and pulled the pilot jet out.  That hole really is tiny.  Wasn't impressed to find 2 small chrome looking flakes of metal stuck to the side of the plastic holding the jet.  It did seem to run a little bit better after putting it back together.  I haven't tried opening the jet up yet as I still want to get some fresh gas before I go messing with it.  Suppose now I should just take the whole carb apart and make sure nothing else is hiding inside.
This message was modified Jan 4, 2012 by Shryp
Replies: 1 - 10 of 20NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42