Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snow at last!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jrtrebor

Snow at last!
Original Message   Dec 31, 2011 10:34 pm
Happy New Year to everyone

"Hooray"
Snows on it's way to central western Michigan.

Winter Storm Warning
Statement as of 9:42 PM EST on December 31, 2011

... Winter Storm Warning remains in effect from 10 am Sunday to
8 PM EST Monday...

Hazardous weather...

* rain and snow will transition to all snow by noon Sunday. The
   snow will continue through Monday.

* Potential for snow accumulations of at least 8 inches across
   portions of the warning area by Monday evening. Localized
   heavier snow bands near little and big Sable points along
   with much of Van Buren and Allegan counties could lead to
   amounts over a foot.

* It will become very windy late Sunday morning with wind gusts
   expected to reach 50 to 60 mph through Sunday night. This
   will cause considerable blowing snow.

Impacts...

* near blizzard conditions possible.

* Snow covered to icy Road conditions developing by mid
   afternoon Sunday and lasting through Monday due to snow...
   blowing snow and falling temperatures.

* Power outages and downed tree limbs likely Sunday and Sunday
   night due to very strong winds.

This message was modified Dec 31, 2011 by jrtrebor
Replies: 75 - 84 of 84Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: Snow at last!
Reply #75   Jan 30, 2012 11:04 am
It's going to be 50 degrees tomorrow.  I'm going to get to see my beautiful brown grass again.  :)

I think I'm going to fire up my string trimmer and leaf blower.  I don't care if it's snow or grass, I need my OPE fix.
This message was modified Jan 30, 2012 by aa335
MN_Runner

Reply #76   Jan 31, 2012 4:02 am
This year is not a fun year for snowblowers.  I would normally clear my portion of the pond for kids to skate except that I am afraid that the ice is too soft and thin.  I would hate to sink my blower and get a grief from my family.  It was 45 F today and expecting 43F tomorrow.  I may have to start mowing the grass in Feb or Mar.
borat

Reply #77   Jan 31, 2012 9:11 am
We've been getting annoying amounts of snow the last couple days.  Maybe one inch yesterday and 1/2" today.  We're supposed to get around two to three more inches???    Bring on the snow FFS!!!  Gettin antsy ova he............
RedOctobyr

Reply #78   Jan 31, 2012 9:59 am
Could be worse I've gotten maybe a grand total of 5" total. Since November 1. Looking at it differently, we got more snow in a freak storm at the end of October than we have in total since then. This is just bizarre weather. I'm closer to needing my mower than the snowblower. Whereas a year ago, we kept getting slammed, on just about a weekly basis. There's nothing on the ground at the moment.
aa335

Reply #79   Jan 31, 2012 10:28 am
I think the state of Alaska is hoarding all the snow and they don't know how to give it up.  :)
aa335

Reply #80   Jan 31, 2012 10:31 am
MN_Runner wrote:
This year is not a fun year for snowblowers.

I try to see the good side of this problem.  It's a great year for buying snowblower, especially if you've been teether tottering on getting a SS.  :)
aa335

Reply #81   Jan 31, 2012 10:43 am
borat wrote:
We've been getting annoying amounts of snow the last couple days.  Maybe one inch yesterday and 1/2" today.  We're supposed to get around two to three more inches???    Bring on the snow FFS!!!  Gettin antsy ova he............

Funny thing is I bought new snow tires for the car expecting a big bad winter like the Farmer's Almanac predicted.  There's only 7 inches of snow total up to date, and the current temp is 51 degrees, I'm wearing my spring jacket.  :)  Tomorrow it will be 60 degrees.  I'm feeling some kind of fever, but it's not cabin fever. 

I wonder if I should bring out the fertilizer spreader and wake up the grass from dormancy. 
RedOctobyr

Reply #82   Jan 31, 2012 10:48 am
Heh, I just put my snow tires on over the weekend. I figured I'd better do it eventually, since the snow will get here at some point, and my stock tires are not good in the snow.

It's a good year to buy a blower, but if you already have a backlog of a machine(s) you need to sell before getting anything else, that blade cuts both ways
carlb

Reply #83   Jan 31, 2012 11:26 am
RedOctobyr wrote:
Heh, I just put my snow tires on over the weekend. I figured I'd better do it eventually, since the snow will get here at some point, and my stock tires are not good in the snow.

It's a good year to buy a blower, but if you already have a backlog of a machine(s) you need to sell before getting anything else, that blade cuts both ways

I don't bother with snow tires on my daily driver, it has Z rated summer use tires on it and with only 3.5" of ground clearance it never sees snow. The wife's car does the snow duty here .  It goes without saying the my 69 Camaro never sees snow, hell it never seen rain either.

Carl
aa335

Reply #84   Feb 1, 2012 10:13 am
carlb wrote:
It goes without saying the my 69 Camaro never sees snow, hell it never seen rain either.

That's a good thing, on many levels.  A high power RWD car with super wide tires is as impressive in the snow as a 300 lb lineman or a body builder threading water at the deep end of the swimming pool. 
Replies: 75 - 84 of 84Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42