Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Simplicity or Craftsman??

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
stresst

Simplicity or Craftsman??
Original Message   Dec 26, 2011 8:40 pm
A few weeks ago I posted about how impressed I was with Simplicity's new 208cc SS unit, looked well built and much more appealing over the Toro. Anyway long story short I was just looking for some tools at Sears.com and noticed the Craftsman  88782 thou I would probably never buy a craftsman again this thing looks really nice! Anyone have any insight on this machine?

TORO 826OXE
Replies: 20 - 29 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
longboat

Re: Simplicity or Craftsman??
Reply #20   Dec 29, 2011 9:17 am
FrankMA wrote:
You have a point there, but that's the market share they're after!

I think one of the biggest differences is in final assembly.  I've had to make a few adjustments to my OPE as delivered by Sears.

My lawn tractor has nearly 100 hours on it - think I will drop the tranny this spring and add synth fluid and a parts kit, although Craftsman/Husqvarna are not to blame for the low-end tranny, as nearly all sub-$2500 lawn tractors with hydrostatic transmissions are afflicted with the same malady (search for TuffTorq K46 Repair Guide on the tractor by net forum).

FrankMA

Reply #21   Dec 29, 2011 9:27 am
The K46 Hydro is designed for light duty use on relatively flat ground. Most folks get into trouble when they start to use their lawn tractor (LT) as a garden tractor (GT) by pulling heavy loads or using ground breaking implements. I had a Craftsman YS4500 that I purchased with the best of intentions but then started to overwork it by using it like a GT. I could feel and hear the K46 being overworked so I sold it and bought a real GT. Yet another example of using the right tool for the job.

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
borat

Reply #22   Dec 29, 2011 10:07 am
mml4 wrote:
Big article in the newspaper today concerning the dismal last quarter Sears and their sister store Kmart had. They are said to be looking for financing which if not found will spell the demise of the company. The article stated that the public"finds nothing positive about the Sears shopping experience". Another piece of America about to be lost-Very sad! Marc

What make it particularly sad is that it could have been totally prevented had Sears management opened up their eyes, listened to complaints and did something about it.  After all, what does it take to get the point across that your customer base is eroding due to arrogance and hubris and insensitivity?  

Sears is just as bad as Toro when it comes to arrogance.  The difference between the two is that Toro have very good products.  Despite their condescending attitude toward their customers, Toro survives.   However, that too could change.
This message was modified Dec 29, 2011 by borat
aa335

Reply #23   Dec 29, 2011 10:31 am
I hate to see Sears go, it was a store that I spent a lot of time when I was growing up and it has corporate presence in my state.  I bought some Craftsman hand tools and a few major appliances over the years, but nothing since 2000.  Everything seems to go downhill with Sears when Walmart and Target gained steam on them.  Sears was too slow to catch up or change direction to retain customers. They insisted that their department store should be tied to a high rent mall space.  Big mistake !!!

Every once in a while, I would peruse the store to see if there's any new interesting OPE pieces.  Nothing exciting, just the same watered down stuff with their black and red paint on it.  They never had something out that was unique, always a generation behind in innovation.  Sometimes an OPE with a "Professional" banner would catch my eye, upon closer inspection, I was dissapointed.  I also had little confidence in their product line because I never knew who makes what year after year.  When I buy brand names, I expect evolutionary refinement and reliability, not fancy banners and unknown lineage.  I came to conclusion that Sears only practice badge engineering and cost control.
This message was modified Dec 29, 2011 by aa335
longboat

Reply #24   Dec 29, 2011 1:56 pm
FrankMA wrote:
The K46 Hydro is designed for light duty use on relatively flat ground. Most folks get into trouble when they start to use their lawn tractor (LT) as a garden tractor (GT) by pulling heavy loads or using ground breaking implements. I had a Craftsman YS4500 that I purchased with the best of intentions but then started to overwork it by using it like a GT. I could feel and hear the K46 being overworked so I sold it and bought a real GT. Yet another example of using the right tool for the job.

Agreed.  I have a DYS4500 (2442); however, the lawn I have now is hilly.  I don't pull ground-engaging equipment, but the hills take their toll.  What bugs me the most is that you have to pay double the price for a tractor to get a transmission upgrade that likely costs the dealer one or two hundred dollars more.  AFAIK, you cannot buy a new tractor under $2500-3000 with an upgraded tranny.

What about the poor sucker who buys an expensive JD X300/304.  If the dealer doesn't guide him correctly, the end-user can get royally screwed.  By upgrading to a JD X320/324, the end-user can get a MUCH stronger tractor for not a lot more cash.  I'm not sure how to classify the X300/304 ("expensive lawn tractor, do not use on hills!?!").

Anyway, my point is, it would be nice if at least one mfr. would offer the K66 hydro in a budget (<$2k) lawn tractor.  No, you don't have to pull ground-engaging equipment with it, but maybe you could mow on hillsides with some peace-of-mind, and have enough $$ leftover to buy a pull-behind leaf sweeper.

royster

" It is the use of power tools that separates man from animals"

Reply #25   Dec 29, 2011 4:28 pm
aa335, " I hate to Sears go."

Sears are not going out of business. It was a poor choice to buy the over 100 K-Mart stores  and now they are closing or selling these K-Mart stores

and keeping and improving the Sears stores.   

In Canada there hasn't been any K-Mart stores for many years so there is none to sell.

Sers Canada is once again   showing a healthy profit.

royster

" It is the use of power tools that separates man from animals"

Reply #26   Dec 29, 2011 4:28 pm

Sears are not going out of business. It was a poor choice to buy the over 100 K-Mart stores  and now they are closing or selling these K-Mart stores

and keeping and improving the Sears stores.   

In Canada there hasn't been any K-Mart stores for many years so there is none to  close or sell

This message was modified Dec 29, 2011 by royster

aa335

Reply #27   Dec 29, 2011 6:24 pm
royster wrote:

Sounds like it was a poor decision for a failing business to buy another failing business.

Like I said, I hate to see Sears go away.  Let's hope they can turn around and improve their business.
Bill_H

Reply #28   Dec 31, 2011 4:41 pm
My local Ace Hardware now sells Craftsman hand tools. I stopped using their power tools in the 80's, but the sockets, etc. still seem as good as my old (60's & 70's) ones. They'll outlive me easily.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
stresst

Reply #29   Jan 1, 2012 1:32 am
Bill_H wrote:
My local Ace Hardware now sells Craftsman hand tools. I stopped using their power tools in the 80's, but the sockets, etc. still seem as good as my old (60's & 70's) ones. They'll outlive me easily.

Believe it or not I use to think the same thing, both Sears's that I frequent said they see more broken sockets that ratchets....While I never had an issue with even one socket they said its an everyday occurance. IDK

TORO 826OXE
Replies: 20 - 29 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42