Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Simplicity or Craftsman??

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
stresst

Simplicity or Craftsman??
Original Message   Dec 26, 2011 8:40 pm
A few weeks ago I posted about how impressed I was with Simplicity's new 208cc SS unit, looked well built and much more appealing over the Toro. Anyway long story short I was just looking for some tools at Sears.com and noticed the Craftsman  88782 thou I would probably never buy a craftsman again this thing looks really nice! Anyone have any insight on this machine?

TORO 826OXE
Replies: 10 - 19 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Dr_Woof

Don't blow into the wind, and don't eat yellow snow. WOOF!

Re: Simplicity or Craftsman??
Reply #10   Dec 27, 2011 3:50 pm
Yep - once needed a 1" left threaded replacement bolt for a Sears fridge - they wanted TWENTY FIVE DOLLARS for it.  Found another solution.  Now I hear Sears is closing over a hundred stores in North America - wonder why  LOL.

borat

Reply #11   Dec 27, 2011 6:52 pm
Dr_Woof wrote:
Yep - once needed a 1" left threaded replacement bolt for a Sears fridge - they wanted TWENTY FIVE DOLLARS for it.  Found another solution.  Now I hear Sears is closing over a hundred stores in North America - wonder why  LOL.

Yeah the bolt must have been hand made by Leonardo DaVinci.  A real freaking masterpiece!!  I heard that Sears/KMart will closing down 120 or so stores in the USA but none in Canada.  I guess we're still dumb enough to keep them in business up here.  I buy nothing from Sears and wouldn't miss them if they closed down up here.  They're masters at gouging people yet fools still drop their money there.
RedOctobyr

Reply #12   Dec 27, 2011 7:18 pm
There are definitely things I don't buy there. OPE as an example, though that's not limited to them, since I prefer to try and buy better-quality used stuff, nowadays. But our fridge has been working well, for instance, and they had the best deal (our Kenmore is made by Whirlpool, as I recall, and I found the same model for more at other stores, sold under a different name).

I have been quite happy with the hand tools I've gotten there (sockets, wrenches, etc). And when I have suddenly needed a tool quickly, they've been there to help (mail order doesn't help when you need it today). They have also replaced the few tools I've had issues with, under the lifetime warranty. I have not interest in seeing them go away. Competition helps us as the consumers.

Even if you or I don't patronize them for Item X, I'd still rather they stay in business. As much as I like Harbor Freight for some things, I don't want my two choices in stores to eventually just be Wal-Mart and Harbor Freight.
borat

Reply #13   Dec 27, 2011 8:06 pm
Good points.

But if they want to survive, they have to smarten up.   I used to own Craftsman tools but have since switched over to other outlets for anything I need now.  I haven't bought anything from Sears since probably 1999 or so when I needed a scraper bar and skids for my snow blower.  I was astounded at the ridiculous price they wanted for cheap junk.  A strip of steel and a couple of stamped skids was something like eighty bucks.   The real value of the parts should have been around twenty.
They're obviously gouging when it comes to  parts.   

I've gotten by without Sears for twelve years or so already and will likely never need nor use them again for anything.   In my mind, they're already gone.
RedOctobyr

Reply #14   Dec 27, 2011 8:26 pm
That's true, that there are things they should do differently/better. I bought a used Craftsman lawn tractor that had a bent sheetmetal-style front axle. Before I bought it, I was pricing out the cost of the required parts to get it back in shape. I looked up the axle on Sears' site, it was $75, IIRC. Did some more looking around, and eventually bought the same part, new, for $20-25 on another site. That was a significant improvement.

For parts, maybe it's something of the nature of the beast. The Craftsman part number for your expensive belt/bolt/whatever will be somewhat more difficult to look up elsewhere. They presumably rely on the fact that you need to be more motivated before you'll find another source for their part. So hopefully you'll just overpay through them. I presume that helps the rest of their business. Like the person buying the $20 extended warranty on the $40 DVD player. I wouldn't do it. But if it helps the store, which then helps keep it open, then the other person is kind of helping me out. Put differently, I benefit from the $20 warranty/overpriced part being available, even if I'm not buying them. And some people are willing to go for it.
longboat

Reply #15   Dec 28, 2011 9:21 am
Sears built their reputation on Craftsman tools and they do have decent appliances for a decent price (got a couple small freezers there, and washer/dryer combo).  They are losing their reputation because of their OPE business model.  They subcontract to the cheapest manufacturer from year-to-year, so you're never sure of what you're getting without a lot of homework, and parts lookup is a nightmare.

That being said, I did get my lawn tractor and 2-stage blower there.  My wife's Dad always liked Craftsman, so she wants Craftsman stuff (I've slowly been educating her on their downfall), so we ended up getting stuff there.  BUT, I did my research, discovered the lawn tractor was made by Husqvarna and it was a few hundred dollars cheaper than the same exact Husqvarna's down the road.  Same deal with the Craftsman/MTD snowblower, cheaper than the clones down the road.  If I need parts, I go to Husqvarna and MTD.  I tried Sears once for parts, won't be fooled again - they have a BAD business model.  So, if you do your homework/research, and plan to do your own maintenance and get parts from other places, you can often find good Craftsman OPE deals when they have their sales on.

If/when they do go under, hopefully a third party will buy out the Craftsman tool line and keep it going.  It's the only thing really worth saving.

FrankMA

Reply #16   Dec 28, 2011 10:36 am
longboat wrote:  

That being said, I did get my lawn tractor and 2-stage blower there... I did my research, discovered the lawn tractor was made by Husqvarna and it was a few hundred dollars cheaper than the same exact Husqvarna's down the road.  Same deal with the Craftsman/MTD snowblower, cheaper than the clones down the road.  If I need parts, I go to Husqvarna and MTD.  I tried Sears once for parts, won't be fooled again - they have a BAD business model. 

If you look closely at the components used on the Husqvarna and MTD you'll most likely see that they are of a better quality than what is found on the Craftsman product. Not all of the components but certain items that allow the price of the Craftsman product to be chiseled down enough to lower the sell price and the overall build quality and longevity of the product. Older Craftsman OPE (like a lot of OPE these days) was solidly built and made to last. The overwhelming factor these days is cost of goods sold and the subsequent profit margin and nothing else.
This message was modified Dec 28, 2011 by FrankMA

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
longboat

Reply #17   Dec 28, 2011 1:42 pm
Thus far, the parts that I've repaired/replaced have been identical.

I could see the Husqvarna tractor having nicer seats, pedals, wheels, paint job, etc., but I imagine the frame is the same, the B&S engine is the same and the Tufftorq tranny is the same.

Not sure how you could "chisel down" an MTD any lower than it already is...

FrankMA

Reply #18   Dec 28, 2011 5:03 pm
longboat wrote:
Not sure how you could "chisel down" an MTD any lower than it already is...

You have a point there, but that's the market share they're after!
This message was modified Dec 29, 2011 by FrankMA

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #19   Dec 28, 2011 9:24 pm
borat wrote:

In my mind, they're already gone.

Big article in the newspaper today concerning the dismal last quarter Sears and their sister store Kmart had. They are said to be looking for financing which if not found will spell the demise of the company. The article stated that the public"finds nothing positive about the Sears shopping experience". Another piece of America about to be lost-Very sad! Marc
This message was modified Dec 28, 2011 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Replies: 10 - 19 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42