Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Got the group together for a family photo today

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jrtrebor

Got the group together for a family photo today
Original Message   Dec 12, 2011 9:01 pm
Well seeing as how there's no snow to play in.
Thought I would enjoy the sunshine and take a group photo.

borat -  I took your advice / idea and hooked up a control to the governor on the CCR2000.
Had an old bike gear lever and cable.  So I hooked that to the governor spring.  Seems to work okay
raises the RPM just enough.  Can't wait to try it.  I used to just adjust it up and leave it.  Like your idea better.

Also took the shift lever off the JD 1032D that I bought and put it on the Ariens.  I've been wanting to build a clear
wind/snow screen that mount on the front of the dash and curves up over the controls.  But the old shift handle stuck
straight up. So when you had it in the 5th gear position it stuck way out in front of the dash.
  This handle takes care of that problem.  Just not sure whether or not I'm going to need to shorten it.

Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Moderator Denis

Re: Got the group together for a family photo today
Reply #1   Dec 12, 2011 9:07 pm
wow an eldorado special edition, nice and clean, keep the good work buddy.

borat

Reply #2   Dec 12, 2011 9:18 pm
I like the lever set up for the Toro throttle. 

I need to come up with something a little more sophisticated than a piece of nylon string under a bit of tension.  However, with mitts or gloves on, the string works very well.  I like the simplicity of the string but would like something a bit less..... (ah, what is the word I'm looking for?)....... redneck.  I have the string coming up the left side handle then across at the top about two inches below the cross member at the top.  I depress the bar that engages the paddle and work the string with one finger usually applying pressure to increase rpm. That way, I can keep both hands on the handle to have a good grip on the machine and work the throttle too.   Very functional and easy to use. 

You do nice work bud!

This message was modified Dec 12, 2011 by borat
RedOctobyr

Reply #3   Dec 12, 2011 9:33 pm
Very nice, jrtrebor. When working on my SS, I had thought about how to open the throttle more controllably than using a string. I thought about a bike brake lever. It would let me leave the throttle "stock" until giving the lever a squeeze. But you'd have to hold it the whole time you want to raise the throttle. I like the bike shifter idea, that seems more consistent. If you got a lever off an old bike, that had a friction-shifting system (the lever is infinitely adjustable), rather than indexed shifting (clicks to different positions), then you could even make small adjustments. But maybe the amount of cable travel between clicks won't be too much (eg- too much as in just 1 shifter click already opens the throttle fully). Nice work!
borat

Reply #4   Dec 12, 2011 9:58 pm
With the string set up, the tension of the governor spring pulls back and goes to low speed as soon as releasing pressure on the string.  It's the same as using the throttle on a chainsaw or leaf blower.  The more I squeeze the string, the faster the engine goes.  Relieve pressure and it slows down.  Don't look too cute but it works.
This message was modified Dec 12, 2011 by borat
RedOctobyr

Reply #5   Dec 12, 2011 10:06 pm
borat, are you attaching the string to the throttle on the carb directly? Or are you simply adding tension to the governor spring? It's a subtle difference, I suppose, but if you're "just" adding tension to the governor spring, then the governor is at least still involved, and will presumably try and avoid a big over-speed condition when you pull it back away from the snow, or otherwise remove the load. Whereas if you've directly held the throttle open, and you pull back from the snow, the RPM's will skyrocket. Just curious.
borat

Reply #6   Dec 13, 2011 9:36 am
First thing to understand is the engine and the governor system used on it.  The machines I have rigged are Tecumseh 139cc two strokes model  HSK850. 
They have a mechanical governor which operates on a lever attached to a shaft protruding from the engine block.  The top of the lever has a linkage and spring that connects to the throttle butterfly.  I put a small wire loop around the linkage at the top of the lever to attach the string then drilled a hole in the side of the plastic housing to feed the string through then up the handle and across with enough slack not to actuate the governor mechanism.  When you start the engine, the governor lever will move slightly inward taking up some of the slack.  When running, adjust the string with just enough tension to actuate the governor when squeezed and no tension when released.

Yellow  grass trimmer string attached to copper wire attached to linkage on the governor lever.

MTD on the deck with string running up left side of handle.  Looks pretty slack but when running tension takes it up a bit but does not apply pressure on governor until string is squeezed.
The string runs across the handle is attached to the other side and is approx. two or three inches below the  handle. Doesn't look too sharp but it works.
This message was modified Dec 13, 2011 by borat
aa335

Reply #7   Dec 13, 2011 10:20 am
jrtrebor wrote:

Nice lineup.   The serrated auger on the Ariens looks more aggressive, should work well with the new powerplant.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #8   Dec 13, 2011 6:52 pm
Looks like a great setup, you've got all the bases covered! or uncovered.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
jrtrebor

Reply #9   Dec 13, 2011 8:38 pm

borat -  I like the idea of using string trimmer line for the string.
borat

Reply #10   Dec 13, 2011 8:48 pm
Yeah, I had some thin cheap stuff laying around from an electric trimmer my wife bought.  Trimmer died but the line is useful.  Problem is it doesn't tie well.  The best way to make a loop at the end is to put little dab of JB Weld Quick on the end, double it over and use a very thin piece of copper wire to hold it until it bonds then slip over a piece of heat shrink to finish it off.  Be very careful with the flame when warming up the heat shrink.  That trimmer line doesn't like too much heat. 

I'm using thin braided nylon string on the Craftsman machine.  It holds up pretty good too. 
Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42