Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Have the Toro 1028 OXE. should I buy a single stage for slush/fluff?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
JoelKlein

I wonder how a 2021 snow blower will look like...

Have the Toro 1028 OXE. should I buy a single stage for slush/fluff?
Original Message   Dec 8, 2011 6:47 pm

Hi!
I got the big beast for the heavy snow. But we still get allot of 1t o 2-3 inches of slush.  I don't want to look like a fool making a racket with a big red 2 stage SB for such a joke’y snow…

Nobody is coming out with a shovel, because it’s not heavy enough, and they let the children shovel it. But the fact is, the kids are not always shoveling, and if they do, they don’t clean it well, they sort of play with shovel.  I don’t have the time. I come home after a day of work; I want to see that snow “away” a.s.a.p. And after a day the remaining snow turn into sleet/ice/black ice.

Also, even when we do get an overnight snow with 10+ inches, I have these couple long steps, which makes hard to use the big 2 stage. My driveway and walk path till the steps is flat and paved and I can use the 2 stage with ease.

So I have two reasons why I started thinking of getting a SS.

1)      To clear the steps

2)      To clear the so called “joke” snow

If I decide to buy a SS, should I buy the 1800 Power Curve (38381)? Will that do a job enough compared to the Toro 418 gas?

or should  I get The Power Shovel (38361)?  is thet good enough and will do both task well?

Help me out guys…I need some suggestions.

We have a 6 car drive way and I have to walk 92 feet till the steps… extension cords should not be an issue.

Here is a picture of the long walk, and the steps.

The long steps and the normal house steps

This message was modified Dec 8, 2011 by JoelKlein

Toro 1028 OXE
Replies: 3 - 12 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
borat

Re: Have the Toro 1028 OXE. should I buy a single stage for slush/fluff?
Reply #3   Dec 8, 2011 8:10 pm
You'll be surprised how much snow a good SS machine can handle.  Sure, up to eight inches is probably ideal but in a pinch, it could handle more.  All depends on the type of snow.  I prefer to use the SS machines.  They are most definitely less fatiguing and are surprisingly effective.  Even an inexpensive used SS machine is a blessing to have. Did I say they were actually fun to use as well?
JoelKlein

Reply #4   Dec 8, 2011 8:26 pm
What about the electric ss? Won't they do the job ? I thing of using it to clean the outside house stairs as well, and the gas ones are heavy!

Toro 1028 OXE
RedOctobyr

Reply #5   Dec 8, 2011 9:10 pm
I was going to mention that. I have an old Toro Powercurve 1800 electric single stage. I used it last winter to clear off my deck (I have a 2-stage for the driveway). The deck is not a big area, but we got a ton of snow in New England last winter. I was impressed with how it did. Granted, the snow was not packed down, and I cleared it after each storm. I'd be more leery of using it for EOD. But it did well with the deck. It's also very light and easy to move around (I have to carry it up the stairs to my deck, which is about 10' off the ground). It might be a useful option for you. Very convenient (plug in the cord and go), and it sure beat shoveling the deck after each of the big storms we kept getting!

But if you don't want to deal with cords, or you want more power, etc, and don't mind more weight, a small gas single stage might be good. I just got a small gas single stage, a 3 hp, 22" 2-stroke Ariens (SS322). It's pretty light as things go, I guess. But at 60 lbs, it's a lot heavier than my ~25 lb electric, and also more awkward to pick up. I haven't gotten to try it yet, unfortunately. But even my little gas one (many are 5+ hp now) will be more powerful than the Powercurve 1800. A 15 amp circuit (1800W) can provide about 2.4hp max, to give a power comparison for the electrics. I don't know how much snow you typically get. But getting a gas single stage one up the single steps between the long flat sections should not be a big deal. I don't think the Powercurve 1800 or the gas ones would be very useful on the steps themselves (the stairs going right to the house). Maybe the Power Shovel would be OK?

Personally, I'd pick a unit by how it would do on the long flat sections with the individual steps, and just shovel the stairs that go right up to the house. Getting something really small like the Power Shovel, for the stairs, and then suffering along the 92 feet of walkway would seem like putting the cart before the horse :)
joed

Reply #6   Dec 8, 2011 10:16 pm
I would suggest getting the toro 418.  It seems like it would be perfect for your walkways.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #7   Dec 8, 2011 10:31 pm
Maybe it's just me but I don't see electricity and snow & slush going together very well.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
mobiledynamics

Reply #8   Dec 9, 2011 12:14 am
I dunno....but at 3" slush.....I think I get better throw with the shovel. Just the way the auger/chute is.....I never had good luck

For your setup, I would just shovel a path on the stepped concrete. Hard to say for the rest, cause at 1-3" slush...bearing my few tries with the SS and having it just come up the chute and just drop, I end up shoveling a path. Generally if it's slushy enough, the sun does melt it away...
JoelKlein

Reply #9   Dec 9, 2011 12:44 am
I whold get the power shovel for the steps it's self, cus I'm sick and tired of getting the snow down from the first step, then the next, then the next is already a foot deep. With a Power shovel, I can go Zooooom.... Job done. For the long steps and driveway: I think the 1800 electric should be fine, in case it can't handle it, I could fire up the big 1028. Also, it happanes allot, that I'm away with my family from Friday afternoon, and when I come home Saturday about 1:00am and find a foot of snow, I need a way to quickly open a path for my wife and baby caridge. I'm dead scared from my neighbors to fire up a 305cc B&S mid night... They may wake up and get it in to my wife the. Next day, then I get it from her... So by having the 1800 electric, I could at least open a path to walk up home, mid night. A gas ss is about $400. Power shovel $100. 1800 is $300. Same $400 for the electric combo. Feel free to criticize me if you feel I'm wrong. I never used a snowblower in my life, so I'm guessing here... Your all long time pro's.

Toro 1028 OXE
borat

Reply #10   Dec 9, 2011 9:30 am
Not crazy about electric OPE of any type.  Something to do with electricity, extension cords, moisture on the ground and me.   However, in your situation where noise might be an issue, it might just be your only choice. 
royster

" It is the use of power tools that separates man from animals"

Reply #11   Dec 9, 2011 9:49 am
I purchased a single stage Craftsman 52844 last March.   I was surprised how much work I could do with it.   (  See the Review section)    I call those small snowstorms nuisance snowstorms.   Not enough snow for my 2 stage Husqvarna, and too much work to shovel,. A single stage is the answer.

aa335

Reply #12   Dec 9, 2011 10:20 am
borat wrote:
Not crazy about electric OPE of any type.  Something to do with electricity, extension cords, moisture on the ground and me.   However, in your situation where noise might be an issue, it might just be your only choice. 

I'm with Borat on this one.  It is a hassle dealing with electrical cords getting in the way and a pain to wind up and put away wet electric cords when you're done.  I rather shovel in this case.

I don't call any snow "joke" unless it's so light that the wind can blow it clean off the driveway.  If it can stick and pack when walked on, it should be cleared off any way possible.

In your situation, a small and lightweight SS that is easily to lift up and down on the steps would be ideal for that long walkway.  Maybe a Toro Powerlite, S620, CR20, or a 418.  The Toro 418 is probably the quietest of the bunch, but it is also the heaviest.  Also a good 18" shovel and/or 24" wide snow pusher when it is light snow 3 inches or less, and that doesn't disturb the neighbors.  You'll need a shovel anyways to clean up the steps and the stoop before the door way.

Since you mentioned that the driveway can hold six cars, I'd probably go up in size on the SS to the Toro 621 and try to carefully go up and down on the steps on the rear wheels.  It can be done.  This is such a capable snowblower that you won't need to bring out the big Toro until it's more than 8 inches.   Trust me on this one.  I rarely take the big 2 stage out unless it's really bad and I have to cut through the EOD.  If you got the room to store the 621, go with that.  There's only 3 steps to deal with so it's no big deal even if it's heavier.

This message was modified Dec 9, 2011 by aa335
Replies: 3 - 12 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42