Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Have the Toro 1028 OXE. should I buy a single stage for slush/fluff?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
JoelKlein

I wonder how a 2021 snow blower will look like...

Have the Toro 1028 OXE. should I buy a single stage for slush/fluff?
Original Message   Dec 8, 2011 6:47 pm

Hi!
I got the big beast for the heavy snow. But we still get allot of 1t o 2-3 inches of slush.  I don't want to look like a fool making a racket with a big red 2 stage SB for such a joke’y snow…

Nobody is coming out with a shovel, because it’s not heavy enough, and they let the children shovel it. But the fact is, the kids are not always shoveling, and if they do, they don’t clean it well, they sort of play with shovel.  I don’t have the time. I come home after a day of work; I want to see that snow “away” a.s.a.p. And after a day the remaining snow turn into sleet/ice/black ice.

Also, even when we do get an overnight snow with 10+ inches, I have these couple long steps, which makes hard to use the big 2 stage. My driveway and walk path till the steps is flat and paved and I can use the 2 stage with ease.

So I have two reasons why I started thinking of getting a SS.

1)      To clear the steps

2)      To clear the so called “joke” snow

If I decide to buy a SS, should I buy the 1800 Power Curve (38381)? Will that do a job enough compared to the Toro 418 gas?

or should  I get The Power Shovel (38361)?  is thet good enough and will do both task well?

Help me out guys…I need some suggestions.

We have a 6 car drive way and I have to walk 92 feet till the steps… extension cords should not be an issue.

Here is a picture of the long walk, and the steps.

The long steps and the normal house steps

This message was modified Dec 8, 2011 by JoelKlein

Toro 1028 OXE
Replies: 13 - 22 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
JoelKlein

Re: Have the Toro 1028 OXE. should I buy a single stage for slush/fluff?
Reply #13   Dec 9, 2011 10:35 am
Great Point about winding up 100 foot of wet wire, it is sure a pain in the neck.

if I get the 418, is it worth the extra $30.00 to get the electric start? or most of the time it starts with one pull any way?

also, isn't 87cc 4-Cycle Underpowered? if its only 87cc, let it be a 2-Cycle, so we get twice the power?

and about the Toro engines, Who makes it for toro? Briggs? China?

Thanks for your input.

Toro 1028 OXE
croftwny

Reply #14   Dec 9, 2011 10:55 am
I purchased the Toro Power Clear 418ZE last month for much the same reason, hauling out the big 2 stage for 2-3" of snow is a bit much.  Here's some info that might help if your planning to spend about $400 - if your concerned about noise the Power Shovel (38361) and 1800 Power Curve® (38381) are about as loud as a Circular Saw (approx. 100-105db) which is much quieter than the Power Clear 418Z (38272/38282) about as loud as the 2 stage (approx. 110-120 db).  Some of the videos I've seen on the Power Shovel are impressive, you might be able to get away with it just by itself, but the Power Curve might be better suited for your long walkway  - its basically the electric version of the Power Clear 418 so it should handle quite a bit of snow at half the weight.  I would start off with the Power Shovel first, you could always get the Power Curve later on and if they're sold out you still have the 2 stage to fall back on, but at least you would  have something to do a quick path for those late night/early morning arrivals.  Good Luck and keep us updated.
This message was modified Dec 9, 2011 by croftwny
aa335

Reply #15   Dec 9, 2011 11:00 am
The Toro 418 has a chinese manufactured engine, maybe by Loncin.  Electric start isn't needed unless there's a medical or physical issue.   My 1 year old Toro 421QE with the Loncin engine starts on one pull, just like my 13 year old Honda HS621 with the GX160 engine.  I'm not impressed or enamored by the "one pull" bench mark.  If the machine is maintained well and not neglected, it should start easily within 3 pulls.  That would be fine by me.  I get frustrated if it doesn't start after the 7th pull. 

Anyways, I have engines from Echo, Stihl, B&S, Honda, and Loncin.  I don't have any reservations about the Chinese Loncin engine.
This message was modified Dec 9, 2011 by aa335
JoelKlein

Reply #16   Dec 9, 2011 3:04 pm
Total is: 2 stage for the big snow storm. Gas Single stage for light snow decorations. And a power shovel for the outside house stairs. Am I correct? Just want to Know if I need the electric start on the ss? After spending $1,700 for the 1028, I need to take it easy now...

Toro 1028 OXE
croftwny

Reply #17   Dec 9, 2011 3:34 pm
Looks like you have complete shopping list.  I opted for the electric start, it was an additional $50 between models at Homedepot. Although, it starts easy enough there is almost no resistance on the recoil, but figured if my wife was courageous to use it she can use the electric start.  I don't think you can buy an electric starter for $50 and put it on after the fact, so it is $50 well spent.
Bill_H

Reply #18   Dec 9, 2011 10:21 pm
I'll probably end up buying an electric for my wife to use on the front steps and that part of the sidewalk I can't get to with the tractor. The reason I'd go electric is that I'd never need more than 25' of cord, there's a GFCI outlet right at the front door. I agree that 100' of cord in the snow is crazy - 25' I can live with, but no longer than that. If I went gas, she wouldn't use it and I'd get stuck having to do it!
This message was modified Dec 9, 2011 by Bill_H

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
Steve_Cebu

Reply #19   Dec 10, 2011 2:00 am
You don't need electric start on Toro's. My wife is tiny and she can start our 2 stage with 1 pull every time.

If you do use electric then by all means make certain you have one of those kitchen or bathroom breaker switches.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
borat

Reply #20   Dec 10, 2011 9:57 am
Electric start on a SS machine is about as necessary as an electric shoe lace tier.  Not required.  By the time you find the extension cord, plug it in, push the button, it would be running already by using the pull start.  Provided the engine isn't over-primed/flooded, it should start on the first pull.  All of mine do.

If your considering ease of use for your wife, you'd best buy an electric.  No offense to women but most are not quite as attracted to the smell of gasoline and tend to be intimidated by most things with gasoline engines.  The leap from vacuum cleaner to electric snow blower is much easier than to a gas operated machine. 
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Reply #21   Dec 10, 2011 10:03 am
No snowblower goes up steps and down very well, the Power Shovel would be my choice for that task.  Widing up an electric cord has to be easier than getting a gas powered anything up the steps.  Besides hernia operations aren't cheap, or convenient either. Oh, and the power shovel costs what ?  a Hundred Bucks, maybe less at the Home Dumpo.
aa335

Reply #22   Dec 10, 2011 12:30 pm
JoelKlein wrote:
Total is: 2 stage for the big snow storm. Gas Single stage for light snow decorations. And a power shovel for the outside house stairs. Am I correct? Just want to Know if I need the electric start on the ss? After spending $1,700 for the 1028, I need to take it easy now...

Even though you have a few steps at the door, they are not all that wide.  I would probably just use an old fashion shovel.  The electric shovel doesn't have directional, it just shoots everything forward.  Since you don't have a lot of control on the direction, sometimes the wind just blows back the snow.  A regular shovel can get a whole lot closer to edges and corners.  And sometimes when the snow so deep, you can't tell where the edges of the steps are, it's better to use a shovel instead of having those fast spinning plastic auger whack the concrete.

If you think you may need electric start on the SS  in the future, go ahead and get it now.  It's cheaper than retrofitting it afterwards.
This message was modified Dec 10, 2011 by aa335
Replies: 13 - 22 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42