Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > I've got the 2 cycle bug going through me.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
aa335

I've got the 2 cycle bug going through me.
Original Message   Dec 5, 2011 5:56 pm
December is here and I'm anxiously waiting for some good snow to arrive.  I've been bit by the 2 cycle bug recently.  I have the Toro 421QE, which is the 4 cycle version of the 221Q.  I thought it may be redundant to pick up a used 221Q so I've been looking into getting a Toro Powerlite.  Plus, I can hang the Powerlite up on a wall.  the 221Q is too big and heavy to do so.

Anyways, anybody got a recommendation for a compact SS two-cycle?  If not, please provide a 7 step sure fire way to cure the 2 cycle habit.  :)
Replies: 17 - 26 of 57Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
superbuick

Re: I've got the 2 cycle bug going through me.
Reply #17   Dec 8, 2011 5:35 pm
I agree with jrtrebor - the Cr20 is one of the best old 2 stroke toros.  The video posted there is mine.

The powerlite is OK but I like the CR20 much better :-)
royster

" It is the use of power tools that separates man from animals"

Reply #18   Dec 8, 2011 6:39 pm
borat wrote:
Do you know why?

A Harley engine is quite unique , in that the crankshaft consists of basically 2 flywheels with one main bearing sandwiched betweem them., onto which both connecting rods are attached , The  distance  of the main bearing  from the center of the flywheel  determines the length of the stroke, Therefore the crank is made in 3 pieces and pressed together ..  The Harley V-Rod   has the same arrangement but the crank is a one piece forged unit.
This message was modified Dec 8, 2011 by royster

borat

Reply #19   Dec 8, 2011 8:14 pm
royster wrote:
A Harley engine is quite unique , in that the crankshaft consists of basically 2 flywheels with one main bearing sandwiched betweem them., onto which both connecting rods are attached , The  distance  of the main bearing  from the center of the flywheel  determines the length of the stroke, Therefore the crank is made in 3 pieces and pressed together ..  The Harley V-Rod   has the same arrangement but the crank is a one piece forged unit.

Does it have a single piece roller bearing for the big ends?  Can the connecting rods be removed without taking the crank apart?
aa335

Reply #20   Dec 9, 2011 11:27 am
superbuick wrote:
I agree with jrtrebor - the Cr20 is one of the best old 2 stroke toros.  The video posted there is mine.

The powerlite is OK but I like the CR20 much better :-)

Not disagreeing with you guys, but trying to see how the CR20 is better.  Both Powerlite and CR20 has the same size engine, curved auger.  The CR20 is 20" wide, versus 16" for the Powerlite.  Seems like the Powerlite should throw snow further with the chute, and the CR is much better only with slush due to the vane discharge.  Is that it?

Someone is listing a CR20 on CL for $250.  Seems a bit high for a 20+ year old snowblower.
aa335

Reply #21   Dec 9, 2011 11:30 am
royster wrote:
         My Harley 1200 cc (4 cycle)  has a pressed together crankshaft

I don't know how this thread started with 2 cycle snowblower and got into a 4-cycle motorcycle.  
borat

Reply #22   Dec 9, 2011 11:39 am
aa335 wrote:
I don't know how this thread started with 2 cycle snowblower and got into a 4-cycle motorcycle.  

Something to do with pressed cranks. 

Maybe Harley should look at converting their twins to two cycle engines.   If they get it right, they might begin to make something with some horsepower.  I can only imagine the tone of a 1400+ cc, lumpy two cycle.  Hey!  HD guys buy the bikes for their sound, they might just like the new flavour!
aa335

Reply #23   Dec 9, 2011 11:42 am
I thought they bought HD because the ladies like the vibrations. 
borat

Reply #24   Dec 9, 2011 12:21 pm
aa335 wrote:
I thought they bought HD because the ladies like the vibrations. 

Yeah....

A 20K vibrator posing as  a motorcycle.

Some guys will do anything to get a girl or reasonable facsimile thereof.  I've seen more than a few "modified dogs" riding on the back of a Harley.
MN_Runner

Reply #25   Dec 10, 2011 1:54 pm
Some guy was selling a 2009 Toro 221R for $300.  It was in a tough shape with a bit of rust.  Although the owner did not take care of it too well, there should not be too much rust only after two winters.  I am just wonder if Toro is using cheap materials on their SS machines.  It started okay but I do not like the sound of it and I could get my neighbors really pissed off blowing snow at 4AM.  The engine did not sound all that smooth or great either - in short I have no desire for a 2-stroke snowblower. 
borat

Reply #26   Dec 10, 2011 2:06 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
Some guy was selling a 2009 Toro 221R for $300.  It was in a tough shape with a bit of rust.  Although the owner did not take care of it too well, there should not be too much rust only after two winters.  I am just wonder if Toro is using cheap materials on their SS machines.  It started okay but I do not like the sound of it and I could get my neighbors really pissed off blowing snow at 4AM.  The engine did not sound all that smooth or great either - in short I have no desire for a 2-stroke snowblower. 

Yeah......

Thanks for sharing that with us.
Replies: 17 - 26 of 57Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42