Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > John Deere 1330 long term review or NEW Recommendation

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
OmFlyer

John Deere 1330 long term review or NEW Recommendation
Original Message   Dec 3, 2011 7:29 pm
Well I've spent a lot of time researching new blowers and came very close to bring home the JD 1330se today but got cold feet after reading about the slipping drive issues. I'd be very interested to hear any long term reviews on this unit as it appears unchanged since 2010. I do have a JD dealer 10 miles from home so prep and support should be better than a Lowes units? Also if there is another blower 30ish inches I should consider please let me know. I live in northern MI with a 150' drive see a fair amount of snow. I dont mind paying a premium for quality if it makes for years of trouble free operation. Thanks for your input
This message was modified Dec 3, 2011 by OmFlyer
Replies: 40 - 49 of 67Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Stainless

Re: John Deere 1330 long term review or NEW Recommendation
Reply #40   Dec 11, 2011 10:41 am
With a trigger release, does it only provide a dramatic improvement in turning ease for one direction?  If the left wheel is released, I guess turning left would be quite a bit easier than turning right?
borat

Reply #41   Dec 11, 2011 10:46 am
Stainless wrote:
With a trigger release, does it only provide a dramatic improvement in turning ease for one direction?  If the left wheel is released, I guess turning left would be quite a bit easier than turning right?

With one wheel disengaged, it turns easily in both directions.
Stainless

Reply #42   Dec 11, 2011 10:48 am
borat wrote:
With one wheel disengaged, it turns easily in both directions.

If the left wheel is disengaged, it would seem to me that turning left would be easier than turning right.  When you're turning right, the right wheel is still receiving power, correct?
royster

" It is the use of power tools that separates man from animals"

Reply #43   Dec 11, 2011 11:33 am
I looked at machines at HomeDepot with the one release trigger on the left side.  I never operated one of these but apparently it just releases power to the left side.    My Husqvarna and many other makes use a trigger on each side, which enables gradual turns or zero radus turns , the same in either direction.

hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #44   Dec 11, 2011 12:33 pm
I have a snapper 1132 which is a 2005 series machine with trigger release on the left. Even though it only releases one side it still turns either way easily

scopes01

Reply #45   Dec 11, 2011 1:05 pm
Hi guys...here is a picture below of a Hilliard Auto Lok system on an Ariens 1130DLE 921003...as you can see the axle drive is driven by a spur gear and pinion and not by a sprocket and chain system like the John Deere picture above. The spur gear is mounted on the Hilliard Auto-Lok system as you can see in the picture. This system is far more superior and easier to work with. It will keep the traction of your blower going in a straight line compared to John Deere's "Easy Steer". This picture was taken from a previous post from "goofienewfie" in Dec 2008. This differentail is similiar to the Ariens Pro 28,32, 32 & Platinum Series machines.

This message was modified Dec 11, 2011 by scopes01
RedOctobyr

Reply #46   Dec 11, 2011 7:58 pm
I've seen it mentioned that one implementation of the Auto Lok was better than another, due to gears vs chains (as I recall). I'd never seen pictures of either system. Now I have (thank you guys for posting those). But, forgive me, I'm not understanding how a chain vs a spur gear should make any difference in the operation of the differential.

The outside body of the differential is turned by the drive system. As with the open differential on my older Ariens, there are two splined outputs, one to each wheel. It would appear to me that those are the system's only connections to the outside world. The hardware inside the body of the differential (the guts that make the auto-locking magic happen) have no idea whether there is a chain on the outside, a spur gear, or a series of small but powerful hamsters with cranks :)

It has been mentioned (perhaps by you, scopes01, but I don't recall for sure) that one system (Ariens') performed better than the other (John Deere) in some testing. I have no reason to doubt the observation. But borat has talked about the lubrication on the system being important making it function properly. Is it possible that the difference was because one machine was set up better than the other?

If there's more to this that I'm not understanding, my apologies, I'd love to learn. I just don't quite understand how a chain vs a gear on the differential will make a significant difference in how the Auto-Lok performs. And it sounds like a really cool system, by the way, in theory providing the best of both worlds.

My Ariens has an open differential, which I'm looking forward to trying out. My MTD had the basic system where you can lock both wheels together, or let 1 wheel freewheel constantly; I always kept them locked together. My only concern with my differential is how much the machine will be constantly trying to pull to one side, to whichever side has snow on it, making me fight it the whole time. I am assuming that you can reduce the tendency to pull to the side by using a slower ground speed, and taking a more complete cut, so that the snow's resistance is more balanced across the width of the machine. That is, going fast, and only using 1/4 of the machine's width would make it pull to that side harder. Go slow, and almost fill the bucket, and I presume it will go straighter.
scopes01

Reply #47   Dec 11, 2011 9:39 pm

In my opinion the main difference between a spocket and chain system vs. a pinion and spur gear drive is that the gear system is much more efficient. The constant contact surfaces between the teeth of a pinion gear to the spur gear makes it such that motion is continuously steady and direct. As for the chain and sprocket similar to a drive system on a conventional bicycle is less steady because of the constant slack on the chain. Therefore, when it is applied to the Hilliard Auto-Lok system there is more play in the drive and will not have constant drive when going straight especially when there is resistance while blowing heavy snow. With optimal and continuous adjustment in reducing the chain slack , the drive will become much more efficient. However, the gear system is definitely a superior set-up. It is definitely more expensive in manufacturing costs to have instead of a chain and spockets on a snow machine. Also, we would need to take a closer look on how the Hilliard Auto-Lok is configured on the John Deere vs. Ariens'. This could also be another factor in the performance of both snow blower tractions besides the gear drive mechanisms. Here is a photo that I found of a Hilliard differential taken apart...this will give you an idea on how this unit is made and works...Take care!...scopes01

hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #48   Dec 11, 2011 9:55 pm
scopes01 wrote:
Hi guys...here is a picture below of a Hilliard Auto Lok system on an Ariens 1130DLE 921003...as you can see the axle drive is driven by a spur gear and pinion and not by a sprocket and chain system like the John Deere picture above. The spur gear is mounted on the Hilliard Auto-Lok system as you can see in the picture. This system is far more superior and easier to work with. It will keep the traction of your blower going in a straight line compared to John Deere's "Easy Steer". This picture was taken from a previous post from "goofienewfie" in Dec 2008. This differentail is similiar to the Ariens Pro 28,32, 32 & Platinum Series machines.

Nice picture and great info here. Just for clarification,what is the white color on the drive plate

coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #49   Dec 11, 2011 11:59 pm
borat wrote:
What I found with my Easy Turn system is that too much of the wrong type of grease will cause the engagement mechanism to resist separation and make it very difficult to get it into one wheel drive.  I have since cleaned the grease off and now use oil to lubricate it. 

Thanks, borat, for this good tip.

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
Replies: 40 - 49 of 67Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42