Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > John Deere 1330 long term review or NEW Recommendation

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
OmFlyer

John Deere 1330 long term review or NEW Recommendation
Original Message   Dec 3, 2011 7:29 pm
Well I've spent a lot of time researching new blowers and came very close to bring home the JD 1330se today but got cold feet after reading about the slipping drive issues. I'd be very interested to hear any long term reviews on this unit as it appears unchanged since 2010. I do have a JD dealer 10 miles from home so prep and support should be better than a Lowes units? Also if there is another blower 30ish inches I should consider please let me know. I live in northern MI with a 150' drive see a fair amount of snow. I dont mind paying a premium for quality if it makes for years of trouble free operation. Thanks for your input
This message was modified Dec 3, 2011 by OmFlyer
Replies: 12 - 21 of 67Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
OmFlyer

Re: John Deere 1330 long term review or NEW Recommendation
Reply #12   Dec 4, 2011 11:31 am
Good questions; Pancake flat property and some tight storage maneuvering have me looking at wheeled blowers. I used an old 5hp - 26" Craftsman here for years which seemed to manage well 85% of the time. The 15% that it could not handle was wet snow and EOD. So regarding width, 26-30" seems right because I am maintaining two properties and would favor getting the job done a little quicker with some additional width. Dr Woof, I'm sorry if I missed your specific post, but what was your experience with the JD easy steer system or is your dislike based on design integration? Thanks again
This message was modified Dec 4, 2011 by OmFlyer
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #13   Dec 4, 2011 11:47 am
OmFlyer wrote:
The 15% that it could not handle was wet snow and the driveway apron after the municipal plows.

EOD "end of driveway "
This message was modified Dec 4, 2011 by hirschallan

OmFlyer

Reply #14   Dec 4, 2011 12:14 pm
Dr_Woof wrote:
I had the 1330 with easy steer and did not like it at all.  It was very difficult to keep in a straight line - kept veering from side to side and was a contunuous fight.  And when taking a partial cut it was almost impossible to keep it from strongly veering into the deep snow.

Found it! This is troubling... Has any else experienced this with the 1330? Could be a deal breaker.
scopes01

Reply #15   Dec 4, 2011 1:03 pm
Hi John...don't base your choice regarding the ARIENS machine from users who bought them at Home Depot. First of all, I would never purchase a snowblower at Home Depot. They don't have the know how and proper after sale training needed to make sure that your machine will be running properly after delivery. Secondly, they are more expensive...I purchased my ARIENS ST28DLE machine at an authorized ARIENS/GRAVELY master dealer and paid $1800.00. Meanwhile, Home Depot was selling them online for $2159.00 with no support. Dealers, have the training and proper know how on how to prepare a machine properly with replacments parts. I don't want to sway you towards ARIENS...its just that I did my homework and checked out most of the models mentioned in these thread. The best bang for the buck is the defainetly the Pro 28 machine...Honda is good machine..but is it really worth almost double the price...what to they have more?...they don't even have a straight auger shaft from side to side...Before you decide...go see the machines for yourself..By the way, we had 5" of snow about 1 week ago...it was heavy and really wet...and it threw it with no problem...I was used to an old Toro from 1978...and would not have been able to blow wet snow at all...Good luck! scopes01
This message was modified Dec 4, 2011 by scopes01
borat

Reply #16   Dec 4, 2011 2:05 pm
Yo Scopes01:

Just for your information, I bought my Toro 221QE single stage machine from Home Depot for $599.00 plus 13%  tax = $676.87 out the door.  The exact same machine at the local Toro gouger was selling for a non-negotiable $999.00 plus 13% = $1128.87 out the door.  That's a substantial difference of $452.00 that stayed in my pocket. 

As you can readily see, not all dealerships are the same.  The arrogance and hubris of the local dealership is beyond comprehension.  Their service and parts pricing is as ridiculous as their prices for equipment.  How they stay in business is beyond me?     I can only assume that people who are either too lazy to do their homework or blinded by brand loyalty and dealership schmoozing keep the gougers in business. 
Dr_Woof

Don't blow into the wind, and don't eat yellow snow. WOOF!

Reply #17   Dec 4, 2011 3:27 pm
borat wrote:
Yo Scopes01:

Just for your information, I bought my Toro 221QE single stage machine from Home Depot for $599.00 plus 13%  tax = $676.87 out the door.  The exact same machine at the local Toro gouger was selling for a non-negotiable $999.00 plus 13% = $1128.87 out the door.  That's a substantial difference of $452.00 that stayed in my pocket. 

As you can readily see, not all dealerships are the same.  The arrogance and hubris of the local dealership is beyond comprehension.  Their service and parts pricing is as ridiculous as their prices for equipment.  How they stay in business is beyond me?     I can only assume that people who are either too lazy to do their homework or blinded by brand loyalty and dealership schmoozing keep the gougers in business. 

LOL  So...they pay PREMIUM prices from the dealer so that.....they have the "privilege" of paying PREMIUM prices when it goes in for repairs.  What is wrong here?  Actually, if you get a good blower to start with and have just a bit of mechanical ability you probably wont ever have to take it in for repairs.  And you can even redo the mistakes made by the Home Depot peeps.  My JD 826 was bought new in 1982 and has never been away from home - for anything.  Still runs along like new, tho I rebearinged it a few years ago.  Still like the Honda 928 better, but the 826 outperformed the JD 1330.
This message was modified Dec 4, 2011 by Dr_Woof

OmFlyer

Reply #18   Dec 4, 2011 4:36 pm
Based on the recommendations the Ariens Pro 28 seems excellent, but back ordered around here at the moment. Dr Woof and Others, Do you feel the poor performance issue with the Deere 1330 was attributed to the Easy-Steer feature? I'm wondering if the similar Snapper/Simplicity models without the Hillard Auto-lok would have the same control issues? If the tried and true trigger release works on the Snapper/Simplicity this still may be a viable option.
This message was modified Dec 7, 2011 by OmFlyer
Dr_Woof

Don't blow into the wind, and don't eat yellow snow. WOOF!

Reply #19   Dec 4, 2011 6:51 pm
Musta been the easy steer system on the JD 1330.  In loose snow, it tended to wander left and right (the steering was very "loose") but was not hard to control.  In a partial cut thru denser snow, it forcefully veered  into the deep snow on the unblown side.  Looked like it was due to the uneven resistance on the bucket front producing its own steering direction, which required to be balanced by me on the handlebars - and that was very hard to do.  Another poster points out that all these Hilliard systems are not installed the same way so this may not be a problem for all models - but, not having experience with other models, I can not comment on that.

royster

" It is the use of power tools that separates man from animals"

Reply #20   Dec 4, 2011 7:28 pm
My neighbour bought a new John Deere  JD1330  With Easy-Steer in January 2011.,  he kept it  only  few weeks, did  (3)  8-12 inch snowstorms with it. He said  that he was fighting with it all the time, to

get it  to go where he wanted.   He returned it and got a full refund.   After trying out  my son's Husqvarna/ Craftsman 27 inch 52993 , and later my Husqvarna  30 inch 16530 EXL,  He bought a Husqvarna 14527.

This message was modified Dec 4, 2011 by royster

borat

Reply #21   Dec 4, 2011 7:59 pm
You have to ensure the Easy Steer mechanism is fully engaged or disengaged when using it.  I use the easy steer function only to move the machine around.  Never when actually working.  After disengaging the drive to maneuver the machine you have to ensure that it fully re-engages before going back to throwing snow.  If used properly, it works well and the machine is no more difficult to manage than any other machine that has both wheels driving when moving snow.  What's important is to ensure the drive engagement mechanism has the proper lubrication.  Too thick of a grease will either slow the re-engagement or not allow it to engage at all in real cold weather.  I've got grease on mine and I'm going to be cleaning it off and will be trying motor oil.  That's what's recommended for lubing the shaft that the friction wheel slides across.  Considering that the easy steer operates in a similar manner, oil should be fine there as well.  
Replies: 12 - 21 of 67Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42