Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Old Ariens Wheel Axle Bushing Access And Replacement?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
smeltjr

Old Ariens Wheel Axle Bushing Access And Replacement?
Original Message   Nov 28, 2011 11:39 am
Ariens 1974 910019 tractor for 24" 6hp snowblower. While in service position and replacing the friction disc, I note that I also have a problem with the bushing/bearing that is on the right wheel. It is broken off and just kind of hnging on the wheel axle. There is obviously some play. Looks like about a $5 part but I do not see how to get to it. It is a differential model but it is the wheel on the non-differential side. Can anyone help with some direction or instruction on getting to this to replace it? Thanks.
Replies: 2 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
smeltjr

Re: Old Ariens Wheel Axle Bushing Access And Replacement?
Reply #2   Nov 28, 2011 12:25 pm
Shryp,

You are quick, dude. Looks like the whole axle has to come out and take apart the differential side. Got some more work up my sleeve. Also looks like I may as well do them both while I got it apart......Thnx for your response.

RedOctobyr

Reply #3   Nov 28, 2011 1:09 pm
If you don't have them already, get some roll pin punches. I had regular, flat-faced punches previously. Before I started taking apart the axle on my ~1993 Ariens ST824, I bought a set of these, $20 at Sears:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00943167000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

They've been working great. The little nubs in the center keep them centered in the roll pins. Which lets you hammer them nice and hard to drive the pins out, without worrying about the punches slipping off the pins. Some of mine were fairly tight, it was nice to not have to worry about the punches slipping. You may want to let the roll pins sit a bit with some penetrating oil on them before driving them out, if possible. I've tried to put a bit of grease on the new ones before putting them back in.
manjestic

Reply #4   Nov 28, 2011 1:34 pm
RedOctobyr wrote:
If you don't have them already, get some roll pin punches. I had regular, flat-faced punches previously. Before I started taking apart the axle on my ~1993 Ariens ST824, I bought a set of these, $20 at Sears:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00943167000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Ditto.  I recommend these as well.  This is a good price.  I purchased some at Harbor Freight for about half the price as the Craftsman ones.  Go with the Craftsman, for a few bucks more.  The HF ones are essentially disposable.  I used them once and they are disintegrating.  Too brittle.

Plus, Craftsman has a lifetime warranty on all hand tools.
This message was modified Nov 28, 2011 by manjestic
jrtrebor

Reply #5   Nov 28, 2011 9:52 pm
Helpful hint.
When driving those pins out.  Be careful not to get the drift punch stuck in the hole.  I good way to keep that from happening it to spin the punch in the hole a little after each blow with the hammer.
Doing that lets you know if it's starting to get stuck, before it really gets stuck.  The pin on the right side of the axle is where you can have the problem.
A piece of solid brass or bronze rod works really well for driving the pin down flush with the axle before using the drift punch.  Doing that eliminates the possibility of spreading the pin when you first start driving it down. 

Great Pics  trouts2
This message was modified Nov 28, 2011 by jrtrebor
Replies: 2 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42