Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Where should you buy your Snowblower ?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Where should you buy your Snowblower ?
Original Message   Nov 22, 2011 6:48 pm
I notice the Lowes and Home Depot stores have a line of new snow blower models for sale.  But who picks up, repairs or services and returns this 200-300 pound machine to you when it needs help ?  Home Depot and Lowe's don't have repair shops, sell parts, offer pick-up and return services etc.  So where should you buy that new MTD built Cub Cadet Top Consumer Rated Snowblower ?
Replies: 12 - 21 of 25Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
MrNuke

Re: Where should you buy your Snowblower ?
Reply #12   Nov 23, 2011 12:37 am
Cub Cadet's website has a dealer locator that allows you to search for independent dealers.  Using the tool, there appear to be several on Long Island. 
FrankMA

Reply #13   Nov 23, 2011 5:43 am
Have you considered using a local small engine repair shop? Most of these guys are very familiar with all makes of OPE and can usually be found within a short distance of your home. Most repairs or maintenance are generic in nature and a good mechanic can typically work on and repair most, if not all, types of equipment. Many maintenance issues and minor repairs can usually be accomplished by most folks with moderate mechanical abilities if they're capable and willing to give it shot. If none of these options are considered viable, then I would also recommend going the dealer route and paying a bit more for the peace of mind that comes with the support a dealership can provide.

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
trouts2

Reply #14   Nov 23, 2011 6:30 am
    As explained to me by management at HD and Lowes, both HD and Lowes make arrangements with dealers near their stores to do their service and warrantee repairs.  If there are no compitent dealers or the dealers are far away then that's the breaks.  For example one close by HD has service and warrantee work done by the best dealer in the area.  That dealer is about 3 miles from that HD.  Another close by HD has the same arrangement with a different dealer.  Lowes does the same thing.  In most cases if the brand is not carried by the dealer the dealer will still do the repairs as an authorized dealer would.  I think it was a nearby Lowes that carried a few brands.  All but Deere were done by a close dealer.  Deere machines were done by a Deere dealer about 15 miles awar. 

If buying something from HD or Lowes it's useful to ask just what their repair arrangement is and what dealer woll do the work. 

Also explained to me was: if there is some simple, brain dead repair like tightening a bolt then a store employee may do the work but they are not trained and don't work on machines.   

The machines arrive at these stores mostly complete requiring only very simple assembly, some arrive completely assembled.  When one is sold with a setup problem from the factory or a defect, HD or Lowes get blamed.  They're no setup to do QC on snowblowers, washers, refrigerators or much else they sell.

Some stores have better arrangements with suppliers than other stores or implement that arrangement differently.  For example Ariens and HD have an arrangement where the machine goes to the customers house and a service rep from the repair dealership is supposed to be there for delivery, check the setup and start the machine.  Some HD make sure that's done and others don't.     

borat

Reply #15   Nov 23, 2011 9:09 am
That's the way it works around here too Trouts.

Same goes for just about all the big box stores that sell all types of stuff.  For instance, Future Shop have and arrangement with a couple local electronics repair shop.  The Brick, Leons etc. have arrangements with local appliance repair shops.  It's a better system for everyone.  Usually the local repair facilities have experienced people doing the work.  The box stores save on floor space, personnel and other associated costs by farming the work out. 

I do all of my own OPE repair works as, I'm sure you also do.  What I've found is that a little preventative maintenance goes a looooooong way toward equipment reliability and saving money on repairs.
New_Yorker

Reply #16   Nov 23, 2011 12:30 pm
MrNuke wrote:
Cub Cadet's website has a dealer locator that allows you to search for independent dealers.  Using the tool, there appear to be several on Long Island. 

They carry a 'Cub Cadet' machine, not all, and not the one I have been reading about in Consumer Reports with a 16" auger and 16" impeller (fan).

MTD makes them, so there should be a place that sells them and services.  I do the on line searches BEFORE I ask such a question here.   Farm & Fleet suggested would be a long commute for anyone like me, living in New York State.   Why anyone would buy such a producta from a Home Depot Box Store always makes me wonder. They have  no service, no parts, no repairs, nobody who knows anything about the machine, and God help you if they have the minimum wage inept store clerk assemble it for you.  It's like the worst of all worlds to buy a snowblower from.  Yet the people do buy from them, and what's even scarier, these people also can, 'Vote'.  Imagine they are as wise in choosing who to vote for; like I said, Scary!

This message was modified Nov 23, 2011 by New_Yorker
sscotsman

Reply #17   Nov 23, 2011 3:06 pm
My opinion, plug your zip code in here:

http://apache.ariens.com/cgibin/pnrg0140a

and buy a snowblower there..
Not only will get a quality machine that will last for several decades, you will also get it professionally assembled by people who know that they are doing,
and you will have a dealer for service and repairs..much better than a big-box store!

I wouldnt buy a Cub Cadet..MTD's have much worse repair and reliability records than other brands.
The "top three" names in snowblowers are Ariens, Toro and Honda..personally I wouldn't consider anything but those three.

and Consumer Reports is useless..because they only rate and compare the features of NEW machines..
they say nothing about long term reliability..
and comparing brand-new machines is pointless..
a brand new Kia looks about as good as a brand new Honda Civic..
10 years later, they are worlds apart..The Honda is not even half way through its life, while the Kia is dead..

Scot
New_Yorker

Reply #18   Nov 23, 2011 4:55 pm
sscotsman wrote:
My opinion, plug your zip code in here:

http://apache.ariens.com/cgibin/pnrg0140a

and buy a snowblower there..
Not only will get a quality machine that will last for several decades, you will also get it professionally assembled by people who know that they are doing,
and you will have a dealer for service and repairs..much better than a big-box store!

I wouldnt buy a Cub Cadet..MTD's have much worse repair and reliability records than other brands.
The "top three" names in snowblowers are Ariens, Toro and Honda..personally I wouldn't consider anything but those three.

and Consumer Reports is useless..because they only rate and compare the features of NEW machines..
they say nothing about long term reliability..
and comparing brand-new machines is pointless..
a brand new Kia looks about as good as a brand new Honda Civic..
10 years later, they are worlds apart..The Honda is not even half way through its life, while the Kia is dead..

Scot

Plugging in, as you say, my Zip Code sends me to Home Depot.  Sorry, not a credible dealer for snowblowers of any kind.
MrNuke

Reply #19   Nov 23, 2011 4:55 pm
New_Yorker wrote:
They carry a 'Cub Cadet' machine, not all, and not the one I have been reading about in Consumer Reports with a 16" auger and 16" impeller (fan).

MTD makes them, so there should be a place that sells them and services.  I do the on line searches BEFORE I ask such a question here.   Farm & Fleet suggested would be a long commute for anyone like me, living in New York State.   Why anyone would buy such a producta from a Home Depot Box Store always makes me wonder. They have  no service, no parts, no repairs, nobody who knows anything about the machine, and God help you if they have the minimum wage inept store clerk assemble it for you.  It's like the worst of all worlds to buy a snowblower from.  Yet the people do buy from them, and what's even scarier, these people also can, 'Vote'.  Imagine they are as wise in choosing who to vote for; like I said, Scary!

Easy there... Just trying to help...  What you had posted made no indication of  searching local dealers hence multiple people telling you to check their website.  That said, I do agree with Scot's comments on quality and maybe the lack thereof with MTD/ the problems with consumer reports and AA335's list of some of the better brands like Ariens, Simplicity, Honda, and Toro.  As someone who just went through a similar process as you, I'd advice reconsidering on cub cadet.   Looking at Toro dealers about 50 miles east of NYC gives someone like this.  http://www.carlsequipment.com/
This message was modified Nov 23, 2011 by MrNuke
sscotsman

Reply #20   Nov 23, 2011 5:44 pm
New_Yorker wrote:
Plugging in, as you say, my Zip Code sends me to Home Depot.  Sorry, not a credible dealer for snowblowers of any kind.

*only* Home Depot?
wow..thats surprising..
my zip code, 14624, brings up three independant dealers, and NO Home depots..
even though we have 5 home depots in the immediate area that all carry Ariens snowblowers..
I just assumed that dealer search did not include Home Depot at all..sorry about that!

Im surprised there arent any closer Ariens dealers, especially being Long Island..
but I guess you guys dont get nearly the amount of snow we do, so dealers would be fewer and farther between..

If you change the distance, (25 miles, 50 miles, 100 miles etc)
How far is your closest Ariens dealer? not counting Home Depot?

(you could also try posting your zip code here! ;) would help people find dealers for you..not just Ariens..)

Scot
bus708

Reply #21   Nov 23, 2011 6:36 pm
New_Yorker wrote:
I notice the Lowes and Home Depot stores have a line of new snow blower models for sale.  But who picks up, repairs or services and returns this 200-300 pound machine to you when it needs help ?  Home Depot and Lowe's don't have repair shops, sell parts, offer pick-up and return services etc.  So where should you buy that new MTD built Cub Cadet Top Consumer Rated Snowblower ?
It is up yo you realy. You can get a good deal at lows and home depot. You get a more personal exspierence with a small shop, they are more likley to service it too. Personaly i went with Home depot. I got 20% off on a $1200 machine 15 years ago. Today you can do the same. Ariens list dealers close to you. Some will match a Home Depot price to get your business. What ever you do- Dont buy a machine already assembled from Lowes or Home Depot. They do not assemble them right. Do it yourself.
Replies: 12 - 21 of 25Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42